Q's regarding a Naomi home setup...

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
I'm thinking of getting a Naomi 2 kit and would like to know what I need to use to play it through a TV. I can't afford a cabinet just yet so I'm looking for a cheap alternative.

I read the Naomi FAQ on GameFAQ's and at the begining it says something about most Naomi games utilising medium resolution therefore using a Super NOVA to play them is futile, but later on it says that you CAN use a Super NOVA.

Basically, can someone tell me if it's possible to play a Naomi through a TV and if so, explain exactly what I need to play it at the best possible resolution (TV with S-Video??). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BW.

P.S: Is there much difference in picture quality between a TV using S-Video and an RGB monitor?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Well, this works well as a NAOMI-->TV Adaptor:

dreamcast.jpg
:D

UMM, I as for the RGB vs TV thing, a RGB signal is one of the best signals you can get, but there aren't too many TVs (any??) that accept an arcade JAMMA RGB signal. So you'd have to use a USA TV or use a dedicated RGB monitor (like a commadore monitor)

Oh and RGB vs S-Vid... well S-Vid is GOOD, but not great, and RGB is like the pure signal, not encoded at all.

S-Vid:
PROS:
+on lots of TVs
CONS:
+Not as good as RGB

RGB:
PROS:
+pure video signal, VERY high quality
CONS:
+Not many (if any) USA TVs can accept the signal as-is. You need a RGB-->NTSC convertor, or a dedicated RGB monitor.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I believe the Naomi and Naomi 2 output VGA so you could hook it up to a standard computer monitor.

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
RGB can be ntsc, but lagduf is right, the naomi systems can be switched between 15 and 31KHz horizontal frequency, with other words standard tv resolution and VGA. You will have more troubles with a power supply as the schematics over a nomi setup shows a PSU cabable of 10A on the 3.3V. You could just hack an ordinary computer PSU though. ^^

MrLonghair

Morden's Lackey
European televisions handle video directly from JAMMA just fine. There's no MPAA here to take our RGB goodness away.

VGA is the best idea however, you dont want to play Naomi/2 in 15 hz

neo-geo 2

Raiden's Valet
black_wizardd said:
I'm thinking of getting a Naomi 2 kit and would like to know what I need to use to play it through a TV. I can't afford a cabinet just yet so I'm looking for a cheap alternative.

I read the Naomi FAQ on GameFAQ's and at the begining it says something about most Naomi games utilising medium resolution therefore using a Super NOVA to play them is futile, but later on it says that you CAN use a Super NOVA.

Basically, can someone tell me if it's possible to play a Naomi through a TV and if so, explain exactly what I need to play it at the best possible resolution (TV with S-Video??). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BW.

P.S: Is there much difference in picture quality between a TV using S-Video and an RGB monitor?

First off, dont read anything off Game FAQ's regrading the Naomi, cause they know jack shit.

All naomi games will play in either 15-31khz.

Do you know how much a Naomi 2 setup is going to cost? if your gonna spend $1200 on a Naomi 2 Setup you should get a cab or a good monitor. The Naomi outputs Jamma2 standard, so the video output is VGA. you can hook it up directly to a computer monitor.

You can play a Naomi through a supergun, but it will look like shit.

If you dont have a cab or dont plan on getting one, just buy a Dreamcast and a Gamecube, and save yourself some money and hassle.

Andy Geezer

Rugal's Thug
>All naomi games will play in either 15-31khz.

Hold on fella, thats not true.. certain games will not run in 15kHz mode.

Such games are dedicated games like Crazy Taxi, 18Wheeler and other driving games like F355.

They will not work..

Also F355 Twin is different to regular Naomi carts, it will work on a Naomi but it will be dog slow, and you will get no sound, as it requires two Naomi mainboards linked together with a custom BIOS chip.

House of the Dead 2 is the most complicated one to get to work at home, requires a dedicated gun IO board, 10 gunsensors which need to be perfectly placed around your TV/Monitor, special guns (not regular light guns which are $300 odd each), and off course it won't work in 15kHz.

The games that work at 15kHz are games like Power Stone, Zombie Revenge, Virtua Tennis, Dead or Alive 2, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, SNK Vs Capcom, but you might as well stick to the Dreamcast as they look pretty much identical.

neo-geo 2

Raiden's Valet
Andy Geezer said:
>All naomi games will play in either 15-31khz.

Hold on fella, thats not true.. certain games will not run in 15kHz mode.

Such games are dedicated games like Crazy Taxi, 18Wheeler and other driving games like F355.

They will not work..

Also F355 Twin is different to regular Naomi carts, it will work on a Naomi but it will be dog slow, and you will get no sound, as it requires two Naomi mainboards linked together with a custom BIOS chip.

House of the Dead 2 is the most complicated one to get to work at home, requires a dedicated gun IO board, 10 gunsensors which need to be perfectly placed around your TV/Monitor, special guns (not regular light guns which are $300 odd each), and off course it won't work in 15kHz.

The games that work at 15kHz are games like Power Stone, Zombie Revenge, Virtua Tennis, Dead or Alive 2, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, SNK Vs Capcom, but you might as well stick to the Dreamcast as they look pretty much identical.

ok, let me correct myself:

All (normal) Naomi games that can be played with a standard joystick, and can be actually found can do 15khz.

Really. if your going to take to time to buy a HOTD2 setup, your gonna buy a dedicated cab, or get the DC version. Have you ever even seen a HOTD cart for sale? It would be impossiable to find all the carts and wiring, same with F355

Andy Geezer

Rugal's Thug
Any dedicated Naomi collector would be able to find HOTD 2 and F355 cart, its not hard. Even more obscure games can be picked up for around $150 like Typing of the dead.

There where 2 F355 carts on eBay a week or so back for $150.

Its also worth noting that games like Zombie Revenge are utter rubbish with regular digital joysticks, its supposed to be played with a Analogue joystick, same goes for games like Monkey Ball.

Games like Outtrigger, Virtua Golf and other games need a trackball.

Its not worth having a Naomi and Supergun setup, just buy a DC.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Andy Geezer said:
Its not worth having a Naomi and Supergun setup, just buy a DC.

However, if one is interested in games that don't require peculiar controls (shooters, fighters, etc.) you can make a Naomi home setup very easily. It seems to me that the I/O board is not really needed as the motherboard has a couple of 11-pin connectors that directly accept digital inputs (can anyone confirm this?), so you could make adapters for any pads&sticks. For a Naomi setup what you really need is the mobo and the power supply, video&sound can be hooked up directly to a PC monitor (or, with the 15KHz setting, to a scart TV) and stereo receiver. Am I wrong?

Andy Geezer

Rugal's Thug
I thought the JST connectors on the filterboard are for extra hardware, but curious maybe they are for inputs, anybody going to test them though??

I think the Naomi expects a JVS Jamma2 IO board to handle all the inputs, you get different flavours IO boards, and yes you can use Namco IO boards too, like the ones used in Tekken4.

Games like Dead or Alive 2 will not boot without a valid JVS IO board, hence the 30 second checking hardware screen.

Best to use a Naomi to Jamma convertor for controls, a PC monitor for display (as the 31.5kHz picture is so much better), a nice Hi-Fi for the stereo and a modifed ATX PC power supply for the power connector as the Naomi requires +3.3V.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Andy Geezer said:
I thought the JST connectors on the filterboard are for extra hardware, but curious maybe they are for inputs, anybody going to test them though??

According to neo-geo 2, CN6 is for Player 2 and CN7 for Player 1:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63786&highlight=cn6

Andy Geezer said:
Games like Dead or Alive 2 will not boot without a valid JVS IO board, hence the 30 second checking hardware screen.

This would be a problem (if it's the same for the other games as well)...

Last edited:

iamrandyray

Armored Scrum Object
anyone have a site of picture of how to setup the naomi gdrom system with the capcom converter?
with all wirings
thanks

neo-geo 2

Raiden's Valet
iamrandyray said:
anyone have a site of picture of how to setup the naomi gdrom system with the capcom converter?
with all wirings
thanks

A GD Rom will not run with a Capcom I/O, you have to have the Sega I/O.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Actually, didn't somebody show a link to a diagram that showed how to wire DC pads to a Naomi? If that's the only input connector, then it doesn't accept direct digital inputs, but you can just use DC pads or construct an adaptor for direct digital controllers sacrificing a DC pad.

So this would solve the control part for the regular games (no guns, wheels, etc.). Actually, how many of those are there for Naomi not available on DC?

Last edited:

neo-geo 2

Raiden's Valet
Amano Jacu said:
Actually, didn't somebody show a link to a diagram that showed how to wire DC pads to a Naomi? If that's the only input connector, then it's not digital, but you can just use DC pads or construct an adaptor for digital controllers sacrificing a DC pad.

So this would solve the control part for the regular games (no guns, wheels, etc.). Actually, how many of those are there for Naomi not available on DC?

controller.gif

iamrandyray

Armored Scrum Object
does the sega i/o have to use another powersupply
and how do you use the 6 buttons
thanks

NEOFREAK9189

Sakura's Bank Manager
20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
Well, this works well as a NAOMI-->TV Adaptor:

dreamcast.jpg
:D

UMM, I as for the RGB vs TV thing, a RGB signal is one of the best signals you can get, but there aren't too many TVs (any??) that accept an arcade JAMMA RGB signal. So you'd have to use a USA TV or use a dedicated RGB monitor (like a commadore monitor)

Oh and RGB vs S-Vid... well S-Vid is GOOD, but not great, and RGB is like the pure signal, not encoded at all.

S-Vid:
PROS:
+on lots of TVs
CONS:
+Not as good as RGB

RGB:
PROS:
+pure video signal, VERY high quality
CONS:
+Not many (if any) USA TVs can accept the signal as-is. You need a RGB-->NTSC convertor, or a dedicated RGB monitor.
]

get NAOMI home version is the dreamcast

Andy Geezer

Rugal's Thug
From that Controller picture Neo-Geo 2 posted, I wonder if that is how you get DC keyboards to work with Typing of the Dead, I was told that DC keyboards can be modified to work.

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
Cheers!

Thanks a million to everyone who replied, you have been very helpful and informative. I appreciate that.

BW.

P.S: I have a dreamcast, the reason I would like a Naomi 2 is because I'm a Sega fan :D