Stinger Report = ATOMISWAVE!

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
editor said:
JUst a quick question, would anyone buy a home version of the Atomiswave?

In principal, yes. But I know what Rev means too.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
If it was possible to buy parts to modify the dreamcast (hard drive, extra chips, and stuff, and a cartridge slot), like modding a gun, then yes, for sure. Especially if it came with a cool new red case.

editor

n00b
Atomiswave / Dreamcast!

I was thinking along the SuperGun root, rather than a new console hardware system (never happen). Yes I know all the guff about the Dreamcast>SystemX>Atomiswave, but I am looking plain and simple at interest to have the arcade system for home (ala MVS).

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Re: Atomiswave / Dreamcast!

editor said:
I was thinking along the SuperGun root, rather than a new console hardware system (never happen). Yes I know all the guff about the Dreamcast>SystemX>Atomiswave, but I am looking plain and simple at interest to have the arcade system for home (ala MVS).

No the guff is that the atomiswave basically at its core is a souped up dreamcast.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Oh, that's too expensive for a piece of home hardware, and the new carts, come on. That's like 2X, 3X what we pay for NGH.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Well, I was going to buy one, but I don't get home systems... I have cabs... so I am not sure if I count, still... yes I will be getting one of the games are looking promising for it.

-Nick

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
An Atomiswave for the home would be cool, bu tto be honest, I think I would rather just get one for my cab and play that way. The games will be spendy for probably quite a while, but if they are successful, there will be ports as well. That can buy a player time until the price of the arcade cart comes down.

Just a thought.

daybona

Juz,
I would be lying if I said I didn't want to see a successor to the Neo Geo, and the Atomiswave sounds pretty good.

Although I doubt we would ever see it in home system form, I would probably buy it if it was released with some respectable SNKP games.

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
If someone were to make a consolized version than yeah, I'd pick one up.

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Hmmmm?,

I think I would go with the Arcade version rather than a home version. I really do prefer playing games on my cab. Hah, I don't have to fight over the tv when I want to play games :cool: .

Freakit

Host for Orochi
Dreamcast Specs:
200MHz Hitachi SH4 processor (360 MIPS)
16MB 64-bit SDRAM
800MB/sec system bus
PowerVR2DC (customized PowerVR2 based chip, for Dreamcast)
8MB 100MHz 128-bit SDRAM
1.6GB/sec video memory bandwidth
45MHz ARM7 + Yamaha DSP audio processor
2MB audio memory
50MB/sec bus to modem/BBA slot
1.2GB GD-ROM
1.2MB/sec transfer rate

Naomi Specs:
CPU : Hitachi SH-4 64-bit RISC CPU (200 MHz 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS)
Graphic Engine : PowerVR 2 (PVR2DC)
Sound Engine : ARM7 Yamaha AICA 45 MHZ (with internal 32-bit RISC CPU, 64 channel ADPCM)
Main Ram : 32 megs
Main Memory : 32 MByte
Graphic Memory : 16 MByte
Sound Memory : 8 MByte
Media : ROM Board (maximum size of 172MBytes) / GD-Rom
Simultaneous Number of Colors : Approx. 16,770,000 (24bits)
Polygons : 2.5 Million polys/sec
Rendering Speed : 500 M pixel/sec
Additional Features : Bump Mapping, Fog, Alpha-Bending (transparency), Mip Mapping (polygon-texture auto switch), Tri-Linear Filtering, Anti-Aliasing, Environment Mapping, and Specular Effect.

Atomiswave Specs:
CPU : Hitachi SH-4 64-bit RISC CPU (200 MHz 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS)
Graphic Engine : PowerVR 2 (PVR2DC)
Sound Engine : ARM7 Yamaha AICA 45 MHZ (with internal 32-bit RISC CPU, 64 channel ADPCM)
Main Memory : 32 MByte
Graphic Memory : 16 MByte
Sound Memory : 8 MByte
Media : ROM Board
Simultaneous Number of Colors : Approx. 16,770,000 (24bits)
Polygons : 2.5 Million polys/sec
Rendering Speed : 500 M pixel/sec
Additional Features : Bump Mapping, Fog, Alpha-Bending (transparency), Mip Mapping (polygon-texture auto switch), Tri-Linear Filtering, Anti-Aliasing, Environment Mapping, and Specular Effect.

Freakit

Host for Orochi
so as you can see above, the Atomiswave is identical to the Naomi.
the only difference is the media type.
[and ofcourse the design]

editor

n00b
The Dangers of Cutting and Pasting!

As a contributor to System 16, I respect the information compiled, but as its founder and editor would agree, finding attributable information on the latest amusement systems is near to impossible. Just cutting and pasting the System 16 spec leaves you open to forwarding vague information.

Off the record SEGA sources claim that the SystemX (Naomi/Dreamcast chipset) they developed for Atomiswave could be as powerful as the Naomi, but it was not configured that way as the need to run off of a cartridge that used incription (unlike the Naomi's Mask ROM system), and the need to accommodate a AW Network system [not included in the System 16 specs] limited performance.

For the second time in this forum I respectfully suggest that a straight line comparison of the Naomi (1 or 2) against an Atomiswave is an unfair comparison. However I would say that the Sammy system is closer to a Dreamcast performance than a Naomi.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I may pick one up forn Guilty Gear Isuka, Dolphin Blue, and the new KOF

At risk of annoyance, I confess my interest in Atomiswave is largely due to comparable DC specs. I consider DC's arcade library second to Neo Geo in quality, the possiblity of continued arcade ports spurred my observation of the system.

A MVS style home rig does't appeal to me right now as nly Dolpin Blue and Sushi Bar seem worthy buys. A larger library would ultimately determine the need for this item and that will take a year or so.

A question for you. Sammy showed a new 3D fighter at AMOA, is it running on Atomiswave? The graphics seemed beyond the system's ablities, perhaps a upgrade?

editor

n00b
Stinger Report = Sammy 3D Fighter

The game your thinking of is 'Force Five'.
This is the section out of the AMShow review from the Stinger Report on it:

...Sammy itself added eight internally developed titles for the ATOMISWAVE with a new 3D brawler called ‘Force Five’. The game takes on a Tekken-esque style, and hopes to establish the inroads that Guilty Gear had established. The game was only shown in a 50% completed version, more to prove commitment than an expected release for 2003, and will be using the now ubiquitous AW-Net architecture...

I would say that the 50% quote was over ambitious, from what we now know the video at the show (not playable) were prerendered to the hilt, and that final performance may be quite down on expectations.

Nomax

Kula's Candy
Freakit said:

Atomiswave Specs:

According to Sammy's official flyer, Atomiswave has only 16Mb of "Main RAM" (2x64Mbits SDRAM).

It really appears to be a "simple" Dreamcast!

The Cartridge has a maximum capacity of 1024 Mbits (128Mb) in 8x128Mbits masked ROMs.

Maybe a GD-ROM drive could be attached to it in the future (who knows). The RAM seems to be insuficient in this case to avoid disc-accesses but DC has nearly no waiting time so players won't notice...

It's funny to see that a five years old machine is still at the top on the scene!

Dreamcast forever! :buttrock: