Samurai Shodown 5 English and Japanese differences

Rick

Crazed Addict,
well, I've spent the better part of the night with Sam Sho 5 (MVS with uni-bios), and it seems to be that SNK-P didn't bother translating the story parts into English. Therefore, unless you choose the Japanese setting in the options (no vs. mode or training by the way) you will not see the characters story or the map screen. If you choose the English setting, you will just go battle to battle, without traversing the map, and no character interactions. This kinda sucks, but the Japanese story mode is awesome. The music during the story sequences is great. Another thing, is that the English font during the "Fair and Square... FIGHT!" part pales in comparision to the Japanese font, which zooms in and has neat effects.

My overall impression of the game so far is extrememly favorable, by far blowing parts 3 and 4 out of the water. Genjuro is absloutely badass in this game, the changes made to him are incredible and he has been slightly recolored for the better. I'll try to post more today, but I'm at school and I dont dont readily have internet access.
I'll definitely comment more...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Mind if I ask where you got it? Is it possible that this is an Asian release?

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
I think the question everyone really wants to ask is....

Does "VICTOLY" make it's return? :loco:

deffty

Kula's Candy
Sorry but this game is not better than metal slug 4.
Here is my impression if anyone is interested.

First I thought maybe just some of the badground recycle but I was wrong.
Come on, pls design new background for them even if you are using old recycle sprites.:annoyed:

They recycle 80% of the games from SS3 and SS4.
Same character sprites and background.

Nobody will notice you are playing SS5 when they walk past you.
New characters?
Out of the 6 or 7 new characters, 2 of them are derived (reharshed from old characters.)

- Sankuro is from genjuro sprites except with a different head and weapons(big hammer?)
Hes a joke, remember DAN from street fighter Zero?

-Yumeji is from Ukyo sprites except with a diferent head. most of the moves is the same as Ukyo but most of the time she disapper and just change to another character using their moves.

Not to mention the rest is just the bust version of some of the characters.
New backgrounds? most of them sucks, most of them looks like 2 static wall paper.
One at the front and the other at the back.
Hardly see anything moving.

Gameplay is slightly faster? not bad except for some of the damages(unbalance).
Heavy slashes can drain lots of energy, remember SS3?

Yoshitora,YungFei, Kusaregedo, Mina are actualy quite fun to play with.
Not yet see the final boss, no comments.

Almost forgot, my arcade play them in US mode.
US version is censored in white blood.
I don't see any game dialogue or strory telling in US mode, need to find another place with Japanese version to compare.

Overall I feel this is a rush or unfinish project, just another title to cash in on us Neo geo fans.:emb:

Those who are excited to play this game can take your SS3 and SS4 to play, you don't miss out much.
Its a very good game if its release before SS3 or SS4.

Just my impression of the game, don't take it too seriously.
Go support the game in the arcade if you can, they need the money to produce better games.
:make_fac:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Sorry but this game is not better than metal slug 4.
I can't see how those 2 games could even be compared...

Come on, pls design new background for them even if you are using old recycle sprites.
I don't mind the old backgrounds, they've been improved too. And Shito said there were 8 brand new backgrounds, good enough.

As for Sankuro and Yumeji, they may not be totally original characters because it would take too much space if they were ?
The fact they use a part of the sprite of other characters takes less space than if they had their own sprites.
I guess it made them save time (and therefore money) too...

Same comment for "bust version" characters.

Concerning the rest, I can't really comment as I didn't play the game yet.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
In all honesty, judging by the ridiculous English dialogue to which we have been subjected over the years with the Samurai Shodown franchise, no English appearing in SSV seems like a good thing.

Lines like "...you crazy funster" and Genjuro, one of the most bad-ass characters ever conceived calling someone a "noodle head" was never welcome when I played the SS series. If my choices are having my favorite characters sounding like dumb asses in English or no English at all . . . I'll take the no English option.

I usually play the older games in Jp anyway so as not to subject myself to the "funny" writing :rolleyes: that the ENglish script got.

Oh, and by the way, I don't mean Engrish. I love Engrish. "Crazy funster" isn't Engrish. It's just poor writing that ruins an otherwise serious game/mood.

VICTOLY!!!

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
I may have to agree with deffty, although i never played the title, i may have to buy ss3+4 instead of this title.

It seems alittle rushed from what i've seen so far, it depends though, if i get to see high level play before its aes release & it seems to have some potential then i may concider, this snk/yuki team, why they rush so much, instead of just releasing high quality titles. We need the old snk crew back or else this team will help destroy our fave games.

Rick

Crazed Addict,
I got the MVS cart from the SVC store yesterday

This game is WAAAAAY better than 3 and 4. I honestly can't see how anyone could possibly disagree. Of all the recycled backgrounds, mostly all have 2 versions; 1 being the old sam sho 3 or 4 background, the other generally being recolored some way. Every character now has his/her own background i.e you fight Sogetsu at Nakoruru's old Sam Sho 3 background with the springtime/green leaves and you fight Suija at the same background but the fall/red leaves. Characters animate like they did in 3 no noticeable animation cuts unlike 4. Mostly all characters have been recolored and look much better, Genjuro and Sogetsu are good examples. Everyone says what a cut and paste job the game is, and while I agree to an extent, they at least took the time to try and touch up things that were wrong/off in part 3 and 4. The game doen't feel rushed (at least in Japanese) and of course there are things I would have done differently.
There is a new element of strategy now in 5. The meditation system lets you decide if you want to let your rage bar fill up so you can execute supers (playing offensively) or do you want to meditate and stop the rage bar from filling up (defensively) so that in the critical round (the one where you will die) you can enter enlightenment mode, slow down your opponent and attack with an "issen" attack (bcd) like from part 4. (You know, where you dash across the screen for a super powerful single strike) It's almost guaranteed to hit since your opponent is slowed down so much.

I wish I could post more, but I need to get back to drafting class.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Did you put the UNI into Home mode yet? What options are there?

-Nick

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
No matter how some people think this game is a joke, or a SS3/4 rehash, I'm sure I'll enjoy it as much as Rick...

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
What new moves or basic techniques are altered in ss0 then, sequels should have the new moves & stuff as that is what they make them for (sometimes anyway), or do the characters just feel different.

I know ukyo's far C is his old ss3 version. I think it would of been better if they added cammand moves in this game like back+B or fwd + C to get different attacks out.

You could run & stop then quickly perform the fwd+C to get the running fwd+C moves out.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
How is the new "Roll" function?

Is there an overhead anymore?

Is the system more like II or combo based like IV?

What color underwear does Nakoruru have?

:D

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
MilkManX said:

:D

These questions and many more will be answered next time in "Days of our Samurais..." :D

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
What new moves or basic techniques are altered in ss0 then, sequels should have the new moves & stuff as that is what they make them for (sometimes anyway), or do the characters just feel different.

the ones ive played basically all feel different.. they are modified for this game as well as being mixes of the two styles from 4...

example galford (fucked btw) has his fireball, and dog throw moves and teleports, he doesnt have his electrify move or his three different slash with fireball motion moves ( :( )..

ukyo has his air move with no range, his invisible rush slash and his multiple slash move (or the apple throw feint)...

the new roll/move button is ok.. basically d does a thousand things.. you can roll forward or back, hop up, hop forward, duck etc... there is also a bc overhead iirc...

combo based like 4...

couldnt tell ya bout the underwear sorry :)

gatsu25

Galford's Armourer
I dont care if I am broke im getting this game :), thats what credit cards are for. :drool:

Rick

Crazed Addict,
Home Version Options

As far at the home mode is concerned, it's the same as other Samurai games; no vs. mode no practice
You can adjust the number of rounds in vs. or cpu play, turn off the timer and adjust the amount of tamage taken in vs.

Mostly everyone has a new move or a combination of old moves. For instance, Genjuro has all his slash moves plus his card throw move is like his bust version, (when you hold the button down the card bounces up when blocked and comes back down) and he has his bust move where he slashes forward furiously and when he makes contact, he stabs twice and kicks you away. His uppercut move also comes out on an angle now, which is great!

Galford did get screwed though. First off, his alternate colors SUCK!!! He really didn't gain any moves at all, and I'm still trying to find out if he can dissappear like in previous games.

The one thing that is dissappointing is no slicing in half or artery spray at the end.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Re: Home Version Options

Rick said:

The one thing that is dissappointing is no slicing in half or artery spray at the end.

Is that in English mode?

Does the Japanese mode have this?

Thanks!;)

Rick

Crazed Addict,
Blood spray

As far as I can tell, it's not in either mode... I posted more about the game in General Discussion

matsukaze

Kuroko's Training Dummy
translation issues and combo-orientation

I think this is my favorite game of the series since SS2.

We really ought to start some kind of petition to have the 1-player mode properly translated. I think I will. This is just too huge a loss. There's so much going on there that we shouldn't miss. How hard would it be for them to do? When they're finished, they could send it to the US for... uh... further editing. They could use the SNK vs. Capcom translation team. Just give me the chance and I'LL DO IT! :glee: Maybe it's just too late.

RyoGeo's right. Some of the past SS English dialogue was just horrible. SS1 is the only game in the series where I liked (some) of the Anglicized translations. The translation is one of the only things that bothered me about SS2 (that was Engrish, not poor writing). Both bother me, especially when the Engrish is so bad you can't understand what the hell they're trying to say. I'd just like to see dialogue that's true to the original (no crazy funsters or noodleheads), and grammatically correct (no, "You kindly give the palm to such a crock"). Why doesn't SNKP understand that the appeal of this series is traditional Japanese fantasy and samurai culture?

Beezlebubble: you think SSV is combo-based? I've played it a lot now, and I don't get that feeling at all. As a matter of fact, I've never played a 2d fighting game in which the designers took so many pains to keep it from being combo-oriented! They got rid of the CD combos, so there's no more chain combo problems (or chain infinites). They even added the sword-power meter. The sword-power meter greatly weakens all combos. If you "wait for the right moment" to do a single attack, you'll probably end up doing more damage in the long run (most of the time). As far as I can see, this system rewards a more realistic fighting pace without forcing the issue. It feels very smooth and natural to me. One could argue that SSV is less combo oriented than SS2, or maybe even SS1!

Matsukaze

Last edited:

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
i can't get blood no matter what i do. i've tried using unibios to get to japanese arcade mode and i still get white blood. i also went into the first dip and made sure violence level was set according to the manual for red blood. still nothing :( wonder what i'm doing wrong...

i'll start reviewing and what not later, this is bugging me to death right now.

oh yeah, cart number is 270 for whoever was asking in one of the previous threads.