Metal Slug 3 for PS2 (USA) Release Date

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Sorry if this has been posted already:

1/12/04 appears to be the release date.

Nice to see that the "Rejected by SoA" story isn't holding up.

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
Damn, I got the import back.. like in June.
Would have been nice to see a faster turn around, aint like anything really needs to be changed.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ron McRae said:
Damn, I got the import back.. like in June.
Would have been nice to see a faster turn around, aint like anything really needs to be changed.
It could be a strategic thing...
Like Pokémon got released in 1994 in Japan... 1996 in the USA... And 1998 in Europe. -_-

VanillaThunder said:
Sorry if this has been posted already:

1/12/04 appears to be the release date.

Nice to see that the "Rejected by SoA" story isn't holding up.

What a f'in mistake on SNKP's part... a new title just after Christmas.

Stupid marketing.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Re: Re: Metal Slug 3 for PS2 (USA) Release Date

Electroman said:
What a f'in mistake on SNKP's part... a new title just after Christmas.

Stupid marketing.

I wonder if that delay actually has more to do with the Sony approval process. There was a nother major title on PS2 that I was reading about (forgotten which) that experienced some long delays due to that process. That may be where the original "not approved by Sony" rumor started.

Just guessing, because, as you stated, it's kind of a no brainer to try and get product on the shelves prior to Christmas.

SiegfriedFM

Geese's Thug
I dunno... Metal Slug 3 is pretty obscure to begin with. It's not like Soccer Mom is going to go shopping for her little son Joe and then have a hard time choosing between it and Generic Platform Game by Disney 15. And it's not like the mainstream are suddenly going to ignore Gran Turismo 4 in favour of a cartoon shooter with "SNES grafix".

Might as well be released in January. Only the hardcore will buy it anyway.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Re: Re: Re: Metal Slug 3 for PS2 (USA) Release Date

RyoGeo said:
I wonder if that delay actually has more to do with the Sony approval process. There was a nother major title on PS2 that I was reading about (forgotten which) that experienced some long delays due to that process. That may be where the original "not approved by Sony" rumor started.

Just guessing, because, as you stated, it's kind of a no brainer to try and get product on the shelves prior to Christmas.

Its a Working Designs game called Growlanser II, which got denied by SOA and had to include the 3 part in a package rather then sell them separately.

MS3 more than likely got delayed because of Sony's approval process.

I don't think we'll see games taking so long to turnaround anymore, since SNKp has setup a US distributor finally (SNK NeoGeo USA Consumer Group [long fucking name])

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Even with the approval process delay, assuming such a thing happened, I find it rather odd that it would take such a long time to localize. Its not like they had to translate 300 pages of text or anything.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
WEll at least I'll have 2 KOF's to tide me over til then HAHAHAHAHAH! I love SNKP

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
This is good news...:glee:
good news indeed especially considering I just sold my english homecart.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
The people who worked on the conversion do.

I think the delay is because SnK is still or has been reorganizing, setting up in the states again.

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
EBgames.com has it listed for a 12/16/03 release. While Gamestop.com has the one you listed, is the 04 one from SNKP?

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I hope it's still coming out on EB's release date. I really want this game for Christmas. But if not I'll still get it.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
NEOryu said:
Does ayone know if there will be blood???

Good question. I hope to hell they don't butcher this title as every other Neo Geo conversion to another console (in the U.S.) has done. Last Blade U.S. version (for DC) was completely ruined by this process; I bought 3 copies of the game from Agetec directly, then after learning they were censored, returned them all to Agetec directly for a refund. Stupidest move I've ever seen, really out of touch with the target market. :oh_no: This one better not be censored in any way at all, or else . . . :mad:

Ken Masters

Another Striker
they really need to release these games faster then like 7 months apart from the imports.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's probably not the localization that takes so long. I have a friend who works for Natsume of America (Harvest Moon series, etc.), and the approval process is what they have to deal with. Sony worries about limited store shelf space, and weighs the possibility of something that might sell (to people besides us) taking away shelf space from a game (such as Final Fantasy, SC2 or whatever) that they feel is sure to make them money.

And before more Sony bashing starts, this is true of all companies (so bash everyone). Natsume has a Wizardry game for GBA (that I did the American box art for) that has been localized and was scheduled to be released last year. Then it got pushed back to Q1 2003, and now it's on indefinite hold, because the GBA software market is especially saturated.

When I heard Metal Slug's American release was rumored to be cancelled, I was extremely disappointed, but not surprised. I very much hope it will be released here, but I think it's too early to tell whether it will make it or not.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
It's probably not the localization that takes so long. I have a friend who works for Natsume of America (Harvest Moon series, etc.), and the approval process is what they have to deal with. Sony worries about limited store shelf space, and weighs the possibility of something that might sell (to people besides us) taking away shelf space from a game (such as Final Fantasy, SC2 or whatever) that they feel is sure to make them money.

And before more Sony bashing starts, this is true of all companies (so bash everyone). Natsume has a Wizardry game for GBA (that I did the American box art for) that has been localized and was scheduled to be released last year. Then it got pushed back to Q1 2003, and now it's on indefinite hold, because the GBA software market is especially saturated.

When I heard Metal Slug's American release was rumored to be cancelled, I was extremely disappointed, but not surprised. I very much hope it will be released here, but I think it's too early to tell whether it will make it or not.

It's gonna make it. I still have it on reserve

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Kick ass. I want the MVS cart, but the extras should make this worth owning too.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I hope it sells well. The sad thing is, most people that might have been interested in getting the title on PS2 due to high cart prices, have probably already acquired the ROM.

Robert

20 Year Member
If only this game could make PS2 players open their eyes and discover the greatness of the MS serie. No 3D, no online mode, just 100% adrealine fun.