Azu Bla, ,
Neo:

1a.jpg

PS2:

1b.jpg

For the rest of the images, check out www.phuck-ign.com

X

Y,
I wish they would show the race car stage. That stage neeed lots of help. The Korean Stage did not.

Last edited:

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
bleh, nasty '01 character art. The ingame was so much better. Reeks a bit of cvs2 methinks.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
X said:
I wish they would show the race car stage. That stage neeed lots of help. The Korean Stage did not.

I agree 100%. The racetrack stage was easily the weakest.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Inazuma said:
They took out the snow in the PS2 version ?

Shit, I didn't even notice that!

Yeah, it looks like it isn't snowing, which sucks.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
If the art didn't suck huge balls, I may like the PS2 version. On a technical standpoint, it would seem the PS2 version is better, but that god awful art they shove down your throat makes the Neo version the best one, IMHO.

Spike

Blindchild

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
PS2 sucks.
The blur is too heavy and makes the snowfield really "flat"

NEO is the best.
ever.

NO STYLE DM

NEST Puppet
ps2 ,
still wondering about the intro though , is it anime or still pics , damn , it still looks cool

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah... Too blurry... Ryo and Terry stand out too much... Like there's a fake paper background behind them...

Anyway, even if it looks better than the NeoGeo version overall... I don't think it's anything to be proud of.
It will be out around 2 years after the NeoGeo version got released, and on a way more advanced system...

SilverAngel

Member,
I think the neo one looks shaper on ryo and terry, on the ps2 version the faces and everything seem a bit washed out and a bit more fuzzy. I do like the face being the artowrk but then you lose the litle faces whcih i like. NEO :)

On looking at the sites lot of pics, im not so sure now, I prefer the artwork, im not sure on the intro i would have to see that as a full intro and not just pictures. Iam not sure on the menu either, i like the look of the new ps2 one but then again it gets rid of the classic menu screen :confused:

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Ok, basically they took:

In game select screen portraits
In game winning screen portraits
In game lifebar portraits
In game strikerbar portraits

which were ALL DIFFERENT AND CUSTOMISE on the Neo

and just used in ALL those places the SAME shitty SCANS of the GameManual art.

Ooooh, but they're in hi-res now!

Nice move, Playmore. Gotta luv KOF on next-gen console.

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
The snow actually looks really white and realistic and not as rough.
Maybe this might be one of the alternate stages without the snowing.
Keep in mind that the PS2 version has the arcade, Original-A and Original-B version of every stages judging from the early trailer I saw.
As for the blurriness, a little bit of S-video or component video might take care of it.;)
The game is clearly anti-aliased.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
The PS2 version looks nice for being a port (the anti-aliased background looks more realistic) but the Neo-Geo version has better background colors which compliment the sprites.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Ugh, you've got to be kidding me, Neo Lord. From those screens on phuck-ign, I might think the Ps2 version isn't quite up to par, but the movie of the game in action floating around really shows off how awesome this port looks. The Neo version had some of the WORST use of color in a Neo fighter, period, with bland, washed-out colors and stages. The PS2 version's upgraded backgrounds really make things look a hell of a lot better.

I'm going to be all over this game friday, and can't wait to see what they do with the PS2 KOF 2002 port; I'll post impressions by the weekend if no one else has by then.

Lee

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Kusanagi-sama' said:
PS2=Superior Port!

...unfortunately

Are you smoking crack ?

That lack of detail is for what purpose ? Less loadings ? :spock:
Even the character icons are not the same.

Also the shadows of the characters look diferent.
Colors have too much blur on it. It almost looks like 3D backgrounds ( due to constant use of blur FX on the PS2 ) !

Black Noah

Another Striker
Bishamon said:
I agree 100%. The racetrack stage was easily the weakest.

True. I've honestly seen better Nintendo backgrounds.

The new resolution looks VERY nice. I'm impressed.

Last edited:

CraigPilecky

Zero's Tailor
I like the PS2 character portraits MUCH better. Especially Terry! Huge improvement in my eyes.

The backgrounds look better on the Neo version though. The PS2 port looks very blurry in the background. :( I hope thats something which can be adjusted either in game or with my TVs settings. I would rather have a few jaggies and have it look crisp. It also clashes with the character sprites. Blurry backgrounds, and pixelated sprites. Its a match made in heaven :(

Oh well, I just want the game. Little graphical issues dont bother me that much. If they did I wouldn't still be interested in 16 bit 2d games. ;)