Slug 4

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
I know Slug 3 wins usually as the top Slug, but how does 4 rank when compared to all slugs besides 3?

How does 4 stack up against Slug 1, 2, and X.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
leepantalone said:
I know Slug 3 wins usually as the top Slug, but how does 4 rank when compared to all slugs besides 3?

How does 4 stack up against Slug 1, 2, and X.

Probably still comes in last place even behind the older Slug games.

I would say its due to lack of creativity going on in MS4. Plus the fact it looks like it was put together in Mugen.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
It all depends on how important different aspects are to you. If you judge the game without taking into account anything other than level design, then overall it's about as good as the other slug games. If you take graphics into account, then it's behind the others because it does more recycling, besides X, but we won't get into that.

I think that a lot of people don't sit down and think about what's really new in part 4, though. For example, there's really nothing like the log ride in mission 3, the rope section on mission 6, or even the monkey in the other slugs. The monkey is more than a gimmick. It's actually very useful, not like the mummy. My final mission strategy always involves becoming a monkey and taking advantage of its skills. I also really like the elevator and how they used that. There's no other slug that puts you in the elevator where you're stuck on a single screen fending off soldiers. They only used it on Slug 3 for the mummies. And, the bosses are all new and some very cool. The final boss is really awesome. I think that's the best final boss on a Slug, hands down.

So, the game does reuse a lot of elements, but what it does reuse it mostly does competently and what's new is really pretty cool.

rimm_rs

Banned
Lee,

This topic has been covered a million times, I suppose the search function is too much trouble to use?

That said I will add something I have not seen mentioned before:

If you cannot or will not be buying MS1, then 4 is a great deal as a lot of the original game is reused here and allows for a taste of the original at a lower price.

It's a great title and is only unoriginal if you are looking too hard. ALL of the Slugs are basically the same game with little twists here and there.

So yep, i like this one a lot.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
In my opinion, it's obvious MS4 disappoints more or less, seeing it's the sequel to such a great game as MS3...
But it's still a great game, just not a great Metal Slug.

FACT - PLayability wise 4 is the worst of the slugs....
FACT - It's still really good, just not as amazing as the others
FACT - it lacks inspiration and the great touches that make the other games shine!

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
rimm_rs said:
Lee,

This topic has been covered a million times, I suppose the search function is too much trouble to use?

That said I will add something I have not seen mentioned before:

If you cannot or will not be buying MS1, then 4 is a great deal as a lot of the original game is reused here and allows for a taste of the original at a lower price.

It's a great title and is only unoriginal if you are looking too hard. ALL of the Slugs are basically the same game with little twists here and there.

So yep, i like this one a lot.

I tried the search, however it came up with some kind of error. "Metal Slug 4" did not appeal to the search engine.

I tried it first.

I appreciate your comments though.:D

leepantalone said:
I tried the search, however it came up with some kind of error. "Metal Slug 4" did not appeal to the search engine.

I tried it first.

I appreciate your comments though.:D

Lee, the forum search won't let you search for strings < 3 characters long, even if they are enclosed in quotes. Its wierd I know.

Robert

20 Year Member
I think that those who judge MS4 so bad, has not finished the game. There are plenty of new stuff really fun just like the boat level for example. Not as good as MS3 but much better than MS 1 and 2

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Much better than 2 ? I wouldn't go that far...
Although stuff like double machine guns, or at the first level when you're on a motor bike with a prisoner driving... That's cool.