WTB a Jp AES... which serial #?

Mokum

Real Time User Mokum,
This question once popped up in the Italian thread and since I was looking for a new Jp AES (mine is PAL) I asked for more infos. After a few replies I realized I had to go for a serial # under 33.000.

I was about to begin my quest when I read another discussion on this issue and a guy was stating low serials' quality is crap...

I'm a little bit confused... Even more if I think to modded stuff :\

Here in Italy I can hook up a scart cable from the Neo to my TV... I read it's the best quality possible but I'm a total n00b when it comes to hardware issues so... please help me out!!!

:help:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Ale,

I think HPMan posted a thread long ago about the pic quality
of home systems. You should search for it on tech support.
He compares many different serial number systems with
different types of connection including: composite, s-video,
and rgb.

Mokum

Real Time User Mokum,
xtoo_short20x said:
Ale,

I think HPMan posted a thread long ago about the pic quality
of home systems. You should search for it on tech support.
He compares many different serial number systems with
different types of connection including: composite, s-video,
and rgb.

Thanks
love.gif

Mokum

Real Time User Mokum,
Thanks MKL, you are "da man" when it comes to hardware arguments! :D

PS. Sto ancora cercando di ottenere quella cosa dalla Jameco... Vogliono una copia dell'estratto conto della mia carta di credito (perché spediscono ad una persona diversa dall'acquirente), ma io col cazzo che gliela mando!

Non avresti un altro sito?

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Mokum said:
Sto ancora cercando di ottenere quella cosa dalla Jameco... Vogliono una copia dell'estratto conto della mia carta di credito (perché spediscono ad una persona diversa dall'acquirente), ma io col cazzo che gliela mando!

Non avresti un altro sito?

Tranquillo che ho già combinato e tra non molto dovrei aver finito.

Mokum

Real Time User Mokum,
MKL said:
Tranquillo che ho già combinato e tra non molto dovrei aver finito.

MKL
love.gif

I just have to ask you all something more. Checking that web page I found the serials having the best RGB output are those between 20.000 and 33.000... Guess what? I never checked it but my serial is 21.754! :make_fac:
Anyway the video output isn't that great, mainly because the upper side of the screen keeps on "moving"... Dunno how to explain it better but the screen quickly moves to the left, then comes back to its original position, then it does it again, etc...

Maybe because it's PAL and a guy once told me PAL AESes aren't the best speaking of video output?

matsukaze

Kuroko's Training Dummy
What about mods?

Wait... are these serial numbers independent of the nation of origin? The only time nation is mentioned in any of these charts is in reference to Korean systems. I remember seeing charts in the past that detailed the different model runs for each country. Aren't there differences between the output of US, Japanese, and European Neo Geos (aside from PAL and NTSC issues)? Is model number the only relevant factor?

Also, this begs another question. Say you were going to mod a system. !Arcade! claims that their mods circumvent differences in output for RGB, sync (what's sync?), S-Video, and composite. They say they change the output to direct RGB, the same as the MVS. It sounds like stereo is the same for all systems with the mod, too.

If all the above is true, wouldn't it make the most sense to mod a higher serial number system? 1) It's newer, so it would probably last longer. 2) You wouldn't be destroying a more "valuable" and "collectable" low serial number system. 3) The output would be just as good as any other !Arcade! modified system. 4) Presumably, the coaxial output would be superior in high serial number systems (like composite is). 5) It would (probably) cost less for the later model system.

Finally, would anyone recommend mods by anyone else? Why? I've heard that Jeff Kurtz is extremely good, but I don't remember him talking about direct RGB, shutting down the Sony CXA1145 chip, etc. I do remember something about an led light and some kind of power switch...

Matsukaze

daz007

Morden's Lackey

Just saw this thread and decided to check my serial number an dit is just below the 86000. Fantastic:multi_co: :multi_co: :multi_co: :make_fac:

The 'origin' of every NeoGeo system is Japan. All the ones sold in every country came from Japan. The serial numbers are one great big series of numbers, hence the country you bought it in is totally irrelevant.

SNK did a piss-poor job on their video system, and they used poor quality components as well. Arcade's mods couldn't possibly do a poorer job, really.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Anyway, I strongly agree with NEOGEOman revised revision chart more than the original.

(Serial# - RGB - Composite )
1-86,000 - A - B
86,000-126,000 - B - A
127,000-390,000 - C - A

This is what I've experienced myself with many system of different nationality.