Major SNK-P Ads. in Play Mag.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
This month's "Play Magazine" (with Ryu Hyabusa/Ninja Gaiden on the cover) has some major SNK-P ads. in it. Here is the lead in image on the edge of a page. . .
snkad_thin.jpg

. . . that flips to this full page spread:
kof2001_ad.jpg

Pretty sweet. Maybe with this nice advertising muscle behind it, SNK properties can make some headway on the current batch of home consoles.

ShockXtreatment

Kuroko's Training Dummy
RyoGeo said:
This month's "Play Magazine" (with Ryu Hyabusa/Ninja Gaiden on the cover) has some major SNK-P ads. in it. Here is the lead in image on the edge of a page. . .
snkad_thin.jpg

. . . that flips to this full page spread:
kof2001_ad.jpg

Pretty sweet. Maybe with this nice advertising muscle behind it, SNK properties can make some headway on the current batch of home consoles.

RYOGEO YOU ARE THE MAN

i am gonna go grab this today!!!!:buttrock:

shinkuro artwork man i miss that, i am gonna put that up as wallpaper!:buttrock:

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
The coolest thing about this?

They're advertising in the RIGHT MAGAZINE.
Play is the BEST MAG OUT THERE.

RyoGeo

Totally agree, KA. I imagine that all the new month's mags will carry these adds, but to be sure, if SNK-P wants support from any mag, Play is it.

They are all about gameplay be it 2-d, 3-d or any other dimension that you can come up with. A true gamers mag.

PS . . . You gotta love Geese being front and center in the "bookmarker" image, eh? :buttrock:

Freelancer

Banned
RyoGeo said:
Totally agree, KA. I imagine that all the new month's mags will carry these adds, but to be sure, if SNK-P wants support from any mag, Play is it.

They are all about gameplay be it 2-d, 3-d or any other dimension that you can come up with. A true gamers mag.

Not necessarily. Play is a good mag, but they tend to be VERY generous when rating their games (and yes, I've been reading PLAY since Issue #1). Too much anime coverage as well.

RyoGeo

Also a good point, Freelancer.

They tend to get caught up in the experience sometimes, whatever that may mean, and forget that the control in beautiful and innovative game "X" is kinda crappy and detracts from the quality of the title.

But, so long as you keep that in mind, I find them to at least be consistent and therefore reliable, since I know what a review from them really means, even if they are gushing over a flawed title.

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Kid Aphex said:
The coolest thing about this?

They're advertising in the RIGHT MAGAZINE.
Play is the BEST MAG OUT THERE.

This is so-o true. You beat me to the punch on this. I think this and Games TM (UK Based, but sold in the US as well) are the only magazines where these games will actually make a good impact and the advertising will have a positive effect.

I cannot wait for the sales chart for this game in the US. :cool:

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Freelancer said:
Not necessarily. Play is a good mag, but they tend to be VERY generous when rating their games (and yes, I've been reading PLAY since Issue #1). Too much anime coverage as well.

I totally disagree here...

Play isn't that generous...they simply cover games they enjoy.
Honestly, there are tons of horseshit games out there that they don't even bother reviewing---

One of the most interesting things about Play is that as long as they REVIEW the game PERIOD, there are going to be some redeeming qualities present.

They also have a keen eye when it comes to style...and dare I say...style seems to be almost as important as gameplay to them. For example...PN03. They raved over the game while other mags gave it 5's and 6's...but they mostly adored its graphics, atmosphere, and style. I mean, their appreciation for stylistic beauty just pours out of all their reviews and heavily influences their scores.

I don't think they're too generous...maybe a bit less jaded than most other magazines...:cool:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
lithy said:
To me Iori looks front and center ;) Geese is a little below mag eye level.

Yes, but because Iroi dresses like a complete flaming queen, I choose to recognize Geese as front and center. :glee:

RyoGeo

Ah, crap. Sorry, Lithy. I totally overwrote your post on accident. Sorry about that. I hit the wrong button.

Bad MOD, BAD!

For the record, Lithy sees Iroi as front and center I and think Iroi is a queen.

. . . discuss.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
wow...ive been waiting for this!

anyone know where i can purchase Play?

plz help

abdul

Aero Fighters Flyboy
is play a usa or uk magazine?

whats on the cover of this issue?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Since that's Shinkiro artwork, does that mean SNK owns the artwork and not Shinkiro? Otherwise I don't see how they could use the KOF 2000 artwork on the Ad.

RyoGeo

Shink' did the art while in the employ of SNK, therefore SNK owns the artwork whether it was commisioned or he was an actual employee.

The Cover is of Ryu Hyabusa of the X-Box version of Ninja Gaiden. Can't miss it. All fire in the background and one pissed off ninja.

This is a USA mag.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I agree that Play is simply a top notch magazine. Its the only good American gaming magazine as far as im concerned. Im definitely going to have to pick up this issue. Maybe i'll just finally get a subscription.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
RyoGeo said:
PS . . . You gotta love Geese being front and center in the "bookmarker" image, eh? :buttrock:

Heh, I noticed that too.

God, I'd give my eye-teeth for a Real Bout or AOF sequel.

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
That's awesome! Great to see such a cool ad to burst back into today's gaming scene. It's also great to see such high praise for the mag who's sister site I'm now a part of, meaning www.popcultureshock.com. I'm a toy reviewer there.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
It is good so see SNK back in the states, on a grand scale.

Hopefully their sales are robust.

neonightrider

Mr. Big's Thug
Hey look at the rating, its a T for teen! Are those the words blood and violence under it? Does that mean the bounce is not in?

Jim is hot

Cheng's Errand Boy
play is the best

In my humble opinion play Magazine is easily the best, most down to earth game magazine out there. Dave Halverson has the most expierence out of virtually any magazine editors aside of GamePro or EGM. Unlike those two aforementioned magazines, play is very maturely written, and since the average reader age is 26, play generally focuses on games more as an artform as opposed to other magazines. It is sad to see that virtually any magazine Dave starts eventually goes to shit (not the magazine itself, but the actually company fails to make profits). Look at GameFan and Gamers' Republic. Those were Dave's two previous efforts. Both were great magazines but ran into financial trouble. Why? Because 3.8 million readers (or whatever the current issue says) read GamePro. I don't understand how one read's GamePro, because quite simply there are no articles to read.
Enough lecturing. If you want an honest magazine from a guy who knows what the hell he's talking about, play is it. You may now go back to reading your latest issue of the 100% Unofficial PSX2 Extreme Video Games Underground Expert Cheats magazine.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I got my EGM early this month with LOTR ROTK on the front cover. And these SNK NeoGeo USA Consumer Corp. ads are in there!! w00t!!

Robert

20 Year Member
I just hope that we will see this kind of ads in european magazines too.