Do MS1 AES carts differ quite a bit in weight? Did I get a boot Neo bomber Man?

rimm_rs

Banned
I know that John has 3 copies of the JP version and would know for suew, hence the call for help to him, but if you have more than one copy, please read on:

I just got my second copy of MS1 and it is la good bit ighter than the first... aside from weight, side by side they are identical (sticker, insert, manual are all 100% the same even under harsh light with a 5x magnifying glass).... so it all LOOKS very, very legit. What do you think the weight difference means?

THANX to anyone whom takes the time! BTW, I was not weighing my games I was comapring them side by side and simply picked up one in each hand and noticed. I'm not THAT weird. ;-)

Last edited:
one arm is usually stronger than the other in most people. Holding the carts in both hands one will always feel heaver. the test is if you then swap around does the same one feel lighter?

rimm_rs

Banned
I did indeed sawp around. Also my girlfriend picked both up with both hands and said the same thing.

Shawn says he thinks board weight may account for this; if anyone out there has MS1 and finds the same thinkg, then it's not of worry.

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
Say it with me now...

P-A-R-A-N-O-I-A

Some carts weight more, they might be different board revisions, use more or less chips, whatever.

Not every cart will weigh the same, methinks :)

kyo geo

Geese's Thug
Its the same with certain AES console models. Ive looked inside my official slug and the contents are the same as a conversion, so no danger of this either if you were thinking the worst.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need two copies of a very expensive game?

rimm_rs

Banned
After some more looking into it the MS1 is 100% OK. Here's why:

I tested my Metal Slug Xs, Garou, and my Blazing Stars and the weight of those titles (of which I own 2 of each) each varied a bit also. The difference is the cart's plastic shell. Some have a "thicker" shell and the others are "thinner", thus the variance in weight. The boards, I do not **think** factor into the equation.

Also, the older games (non snap lock) are the same weight in all cases. I did the same testswith copies of Andro Dunos, View Point and Last Resort to verify this.

I take this to mean that SNK would buy the casings for the carts from more than one vendor starting in 1995 (the advent of the snap lock game).

Thus there are no worries.

As for the P A R A N O I A mentioned above, I respond, "DUH, DUH, and DUH." This is an expensive game and you're right that I want to be sure it's legit.

As for why I have 2, I buy 2 of all Neo Geo porducts because when I am 95 I want to be able to play Neo Geo and eventually (who knows when, but it will happen)my games will die and I want to have back ups. Can you imagine trying to get a MEtal Slug twenty years for now? $20,000!

Thanx for those that were helpful, I REALLY, REALLY appreciate it and I will hopefully be able to return the favor.

Last edited:

the binary c0de

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
20 Year Member
I say don't worry, its ok if you conversion cart weighs more or less. Its normal. ;)

kyo geo

Geese's Thug
Your theory of old games weighing the same is incorrect. Magical drop2 contains about a third of the weight and content of chips as sam 2. I think youre just a little fussy, which is fine.;)

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I have to side with CTH here... some of the things you're trying to cover are obsessive and weird, regardless of whether it's $100 or $1000 game.
You're trying to seek perfection and you'll never, ever, ever get it. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' AES cart. They all have flaws, even new carts direct from the factory.

Shell may have warped, different plastic stock, there's a million and one reasons why there may be a difference in weight between individual MS AES carts.
I say - who cares.

Man, I thought G was picky, but you take the biscuit.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Metal Slug X is the only Neo game worth owning multiple copies of... :buttrock:

rimm_rs

Banned
Look I am not here to defend myself, but I wish people would READ the posts.

I will make one thing clear, if I have 2 games of the same title (say Metal Slug) and one weighs a good bit less than the other, it is reasonable to ask about it. I mean this is not a $20 game.

What is the most converted cart out there? Maybe Metal Slug? Might it be reasonable to worry enough to ask for help?

@Kyo Geo
Also, I was not saying that a Sam Sho 2 and Magical drop would weight the same, I was saying that 2 sam sho 2 or 2 md2 would weight the same. No worries. ;-)

@Rich
Some people might flame back if called "wierd" or "obsessive", but I wold only point out that you have almost 4,500 posts and are a known super collector, but you are not "weird" or "obsessive" at all, right?

As for trying to get a perfect collection and getting a rant from you is just plain silly. You were pissed when Florian didn't send you a minty game and also you passed on a Blazing Star (welll priced too) I was selling because of 2 scratches. Listen my friend the pot, we are both black ans as a kettle I know this.

That said my post was not about condition, it was about a big $ game being legit. Still as for my conditon requirement, they are pretty extreme, but in truth I have only ONCE gotten games that were less quality than I paid for, and after that I got more agressive in explaining my needs to sellers and since 100% of my buys have been good ones. So is that obsessvie/weird or just smarter than your average bear?

Regarding this post, if being obsessive means making sure that an expensive game is legit and not a convert or boot, then by all mean I have issues. :make_fac:

BTW, Who's G?

Last edited:
and now which cart should be considered "mint" the lighter or the heavier ones?

should we create a official weigh for "mint" carts?
opinions needed!

rimm_rs

Banned
@Tarma,

Also, "perfect" in this case meant not a conversion or boot.

I'm a sick little puppy I know.

@ Metalizer,

No THAT's funny! Got a good laugh, thanx. ;-)

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
Hey rimm_rs all I have to say is I own 3 copies of Samurai Shodown 4.............The US version.........The Korean version...........and The Japanese version. Yeah!!! :make_fac:

Party on Wayne :buttrock:
Party on Garth :buttrock:

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
:)

I noticed the same thing with another game before, so it's perfectly fine I'd say.

Would be nice if someone has a theory about this.

But anyways, I'd say the heavy ones are the most mint :) It's more value for your money in another way.

Too bad shipping it will cost more though :(

rimm_rs

Banned
@mr clown 3 ss4's? you lucky bugger!

@leGionellz yeah, i thouht it weird and woud like to see more ideas as to why (beyond what i think), but my asking makes me "weird"... go figure.

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
The only carts that you need to worry about breaking are the newer ones with encryption chips. If the chip dies, the graphics will come out scrambled or not at all.

As for the rest of the games(most 1998 games and earlier), they are easily repairable. It's just a small PCB with a few ROM chips and basic logic IC's. If a logic IC dies, spend $1 at Radio Shack and replace it. If a ROM chip dies, buy an equivalent blank ROM, and have someone program it with the correct data. It's as good as an official SNK fix, because that's what they do/did :)

the binary c0de

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
20 Year Member
Yeah, my metal slug MVS weighs alot more than my metal slug NGPC cart. I hope my PC version isn't a boot.:confused:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
craaazzyy owning two slug 1's, it must be well rare.

weezer0302

Kabuki Klasher
Just play the games...collect barbie dolls if you want, but these are GAMES, GAMES are meant to be PLAYED...

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
you know NOTHING, its supposed to sit on a shelf

FOR EVAR

only to be pulled out at parties and stuff.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
SNKP carts are not made in a Pharmaceuticals laboratory..... people assemble them.... they are shipped in snaplock cases with the SNK logo, so they get scratched in transit, they might have color variations in the black plastic, some tthicker, some thinner... this is not science. Nothing on earth is perfect for that matter.

NOBODY SHOULD EXPECT A PERFECT OR CONSISTENT CART, ONE TO THE NEXT.

Does anyone think these things come out of some big machine that has a margin of error of .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%?????

Nuts!:loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:

The point is, you would have to be nuts to sell to this guy..... he wouldnt be happy with a cart unless the Almighty came down from SNK heaven and presented one to him.

Last edited:

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
I don't get it:

If your reasoning for owning two Metal Slugs is for the sake of GAMEPLAY (in this case, your expected lifespan for the two), why not pick up an MVS cart instead of regurgitating all that money all over again for the same thing?

:spock: