sega saturn virtua stick to neogeo

setsuna.lee

World Soccer '96
HI, Im a noob here
after reading many topics about modding controller I haven t found a good tutorial about how to mod SS VR stick to neo can
someone post or repost a clear tutorial ?

in old post Ive read some pb one button layout or voltage ? any infos ?

Ive 1 SSVR stick
and an old crashed neocd pad that I can re use cable

I d love to play my ssvr stick to my neo

:(

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
As you know, there are dozens of different sticks and controllers out there, it's not possible to write a detailed guide for each one. Actually, now I'm working on a very general guide about this, you can see some of the text-part here:

http://www.sgrepository.com/postt78.html

Anyway, which Virtua Stick do you want to mod? The USA one, or the JPN one with green buttons? The JPN one should be easier to mod, basically you just need to do what I did here:

http://www.sgrepository.com/modules...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Finally, here's quite a long explanation on how to mod a stick for Neo Geo use, too bad the pics are dead:

http://www.neo-geo.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004051

Last edited:

setsuna.lee

World Soccer '96
thx a lot amano jacu again :rolleyes:

Im pretty noob at soldering that why Im asking a clear tutorial =)

yeas its the jpn SSVRstick
in fact I don t know how to do with the pcb

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, actually I'm working on writing a detailed guide on how to mod the DC arcade stick, as an example on how to mod microswitched sticks in general. The JPN Virtua Stick is very similar so you should be able to do the same. Actually, if you could post a pic of the inside I could compare them.

About the pcb, if you don't mind losing the Saturn compatibility you can just forget about it and discconect all the buttons from it. You don't even need to solder, although it is recommended, you can just "tie" the wires and cover them with electrical tape.

setsuna.lee

World Soccer '96
I don't mind losing the Saturn compatibility that s ok ( even to play training mode to my SS4
:rolleyes:

Ive tried to disconnect it but I dont know how n though Ive damage one button T_T

Ill post pix asap

the pcb and buttons is looks like neo geo (old ) stick but bigger

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Are the button connected to the pcb via wires? If so just cut that wires, leaving as much wire in the buttons side as possible.
If the buttons are mounted in the pcb, then stop messing with them til you post pics, otherwise you could damage the stick.

setsuna.lee

World Soccer '96
erf! I tough there mouted to the pcb T_T
if I could remember its the same on neo right ?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, in the old-style Neo Geo stick, the buttons are mounted in a PCB, but there are wires coming from the PCB that go to the console, as it uses binary signals. However, in a Saturn stick the buttons are connected to a chip that codifies the data and sends it to the saturn via a cable.

I thought the Saturn Virtua stick would be like the DC one, where the buttons are connected via wires to the central pcb.

Please post pics of the inside of the sticks, this mod could be more difficult than I thought.

setsuna.lee

World Soccer '96
oic
in fact buttons are mounted to pcb which had an output to another pcb via wire

Ill take shot tonight and post it tomorrow ( when Ive learn how to use my camera lol)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, it is possible that what you have to do is keep the buttons in the first pcb, and then use the wires that go to the second pcb to make the mod. I guess the encoding chip and the cable that goes to the saturn are in the second pcb.

setsuna.lee

World Soccer '96
erf I was trying to check the stick yesterday and Ive broke a part of the pcb buttons
so I decided to broke all the pcb buttons now I think il easier too mod like the DC one http://www.sgrepository.com/albums/amanojacu02/dc_stick_bottom.jpg

and the ps one
http://www.sgrepository.com/albums/amanojacu02/ps_twin_stick_bottom.jpg

like u said all the button of the ssvr stick are mapped a one point of the pcb wired with 9 sold points ( assuming all buttons+ gnd ?) to another pcb with chipset
Im so ugly and my skills at soldering are so bad that I don t mind to be able for soldering the 9 sold points because there were to close to me

thx for your help and links Im learning all to try making my stick working !!
Ill upload pix before broke tonight

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, I don't really think it was a good idea to break so soon, I just hope it's not a problem.

The question here is : do 2 wires come from each button or direction? One of them should be the ground (which may be the same for every button) and the other the return line for that particular button.

Anyway I'll be waiting for your pics.