Game impression: Metal Slug 5

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Well, let's continue reviewing my impression from the ENADA game show.

Metal Slug 5 was there, in playble form.

I don't think the game I tested was complete anyway. Only 4 stage were avalaible before a 'all complete' screen with no ending and not even closing staff roll.

Also, the two SNKP men I chatted with confirmed the MS5 version on show was still to be completed.

The impression I got from the game is: awesome!

Please know I'm not a Slug freak, but wat I have to report is -very unlike Slug4- this new chaper is not a rip-off work.

Sure, it's Slug thus we're sure to find all the series trademark, but the stages and most of the enemies (even the basical ones) are brand spanking new this time!

STAGE-1 begin in a jungle, rolling on some canoa boats. Then, the crew enter a mayan temple, out of which the boss awaits in the form of a big sluggy tank.

STAGE-2 begin in a muntain environnement, but is mainly setted out in a military factory. Enemy slugs are all along the stage. After the factory, you get to climb to the top of the mountain from which you'll start a flying section, till the boss (a giant war plane).

STAGE-3 starts on some sorts of downtown, night style. You immediately anter some sort fo military stockhouse, and keep fighting till you reach the boss, again a weird armored-machine.

STAGE-4 begin on some sort of dockside. After a brief introduction you're treated to a multi-scrolling underwater section, where you have to fight not only your enemies but sea creatures too. The you enter some underwater-tunnels until you reach a desrt (???) to fight the boss, a missile launcher sand-tank.

I've found 4 different slugs thought the game: the classical one, the plane and submarins ones (in dedicated sections), plus the new robo-slug which is really ACE! Really fun to use!

The addition of the slide is very useful indeed, especially when trying to dodge bullets coming from the air. You can also shoot yourself WHILE sliding.

According to the flyer of the game, another strange slug is avalaible in the game: it seems some sort of old-fashioned city car.

Well, all in all Slug is Slug. This new chapter is full of new stuff thus I say it's cool, but you can't expect anything particually innovative from the game. Graphic is nice, all new sprites are just greatly animated as old ones, and the shooting rage is all there.

Another big thumbs up for SNK-P, but I really want to see a complete version of the game!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
This sounds great. I think i'll be shelling out a bit of cash to get this kit :buttrock: :buttrock:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Thanks for the impressions, sounds very good.

ajsega

Armored Scrum Object
Sounds great but 4 stages does seem to be very short.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I think the final version will have more stages.

The fact I was not albe to find the 5th Slug presented on the flyer also suggest that. :-)

Not only that, Stage 4 boss totally seemed out of place.

Well, we'll see anyway!

G.

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
I'm sure there will be more than 4 stages. Shito said there's no ending or staff roll yet, and look at how many characters were in svcc that we didn't know about until it went final.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Great post! First info I've heard of this kind! I appreciate it!

Hey guys, try reading the entire post before commenting! He made it clear that the game is unfinished!

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
About the new 'RoboSLug' (as I call it): this is one of the main new featire of the game, and it's totally fun.

It's a BIG robo-like slug armored with a gatling on on arm, and a claw ont he other. You cana ctually TURN around with this one, so the fire direction is pretty much the same as when your'e just on your feet. BUT the machine is SLOW as HELL! You can also double jump with this one, using some kinf of 'backpack'. Another interesting feature is this Slug can actually transfor in a tank-version. Simply 'crouch' to male the slug change itslef in the tank mode, and move aroung with the DF and DB directions of the stick. In this mode, the slug i s MUCH FASTER, but of course can't turn around, just like the classicall slug of the game.

Well, this vehicle is terrific! Very very tricky to use and fun to play. I managed to find it just in the third stage, but if some other stage will be added in the final version of the game I really hope it will make an appareance somewhere again... it's really a great attidion!

Also, in the second stage the prisoners are no longer the Chuck Norris type, but some sort of typical Japanese 'peko peko men' (those classic low-rank employee, you know), what a revolution in the seires! ;-)

Basic enemies now includes soldier wearing a red scarf on their faces, MadMan-like jungle warriors, and mostly chemichal operators, covered with anti-radiations suits. I think those are all new sprites.

Well, as for me I can't wait to see the finished version of this game! :-)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
General_Morden said:
Any word about a release date?

They said 'next month' referring to the arcade release. :-)

Snooptalian

Hairdresser, ,
Great news. Maybe all the MS4 haters can stop worrying about how this game will turn out.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
HPMAN said:
Was 4th mission "mission 4" or "final mission" ? :eye: :eye:

'Mission 4' actually. 'Mission 4: start' at the beginning, but 'Final Mission - Completed' at the end.

Dunno, I have the feeling the game was still missing a big part, incliding the Car-slug and some kind of final shodown with the black enemy slug.

isamu

Crazed MVS Addict
I HAVE THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!..........
....in my head:D And I can't wait to get for REAL!:multi_co:

TriShield

Host for Orochi
It's a shame they didn't carry over the new characters from Slug 4.

I'm ready to see some more new faces besides the same quartet that's been appearing in all the other games.

Skeeter

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks for the info Shito...this is THE new release I look most forward to...and that was before you piqued my interest even more.

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
OK, great review!

Question: On stage 2, you state that there is a flying section at the end. Is this flying area like Slug 2/X (Where you can get shot down and then run on the ground), or more like the NGPC slug flying areas (where there is no ground and if you get shot down you do not come out of your Jet)?

Thanks!:glee:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
No ground.

if you're shoot out of the FlyingSlug, you just keep flying with a jetpack.

Same for underwater level...

The boss battle is take place during the flight session as well.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Just forgot to report mutiple path seems to be present again!

Today I spoke with a friend of mine who also attended the show (but we did not meet), and he went though Stage3 on a different path, actually OUTSIDE the stockhouse (different graphics as well).

The game looks very promising indeed... let's hope the final version will have 6 or more stages!

Last edited: