Naomi hardware failure-prone?

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
I've heard some rumours about the Sega Naomi hardware being somewhat delicate to handle and prone to failure even if taken well care of. Is there any truth to this? Anything special one should know about for proper maintainence or is there no major difference to other cart-based arcade systems like, for example, the MVS or ST-V?

idiot

n00b
I haven't had any problems with my Naomi board. If you give it the proper respect & care that expensive toys deserve then it should last you a very long time.

While the Naomi has a obtuse set of connections( 3.3v power, VGA/USB output) it is very solid. I see no reason why a Naomi shoudn't last for many many years(provided you replace it's batt. whenever it tells you to :) )

neo-geo 2

Raiden's Valet
When taken care of, Naomi's should last for a very long time. Unfourtnally, they are not taken care of by arcade Op's. The dirt and grime that for some reason is attracted to the Naomi is its mortal enemy. The Dirt and smoke resadue clogs the fan and air holes. This in turn causes the Naomi to overheat, ad blow the CPU. I have had 3 Naomi's that I bought broken because of this.

Another Problem is the Bios. For some reason unknown, the Bios tends to fail in some motherboards. Luckially it is sockated and only costs about $20.

What are you talking about changing the battery? The only one is a standard CR2032 that is used to remember settings, and doesnt cause anything to die when it is removed or goes bad.

Overall, the Naomi is a Well built and sturdy system. With proper care of it, like any board, will insure a long and happy life with it.

idiot

n00b
neo-geo 2 said:
What are you talking about changing the battery? The only one is a standard CR2032 that is used to remember settings, and doesnt cause anything to die when it is removed or goes bad.
[/B]

Meh, I just don't like to have to keep changing the round speed, difficulty & coin settings everytime I turn it on. thats all I meant. OMG CONFRONTATION:smirk: