enjoyable, cheap AES games?

sorry if this is the wrong folder, im a total n00b.

im getting an AES in a month and want to start building a collection. i was wondering if people could give me some good, enjoyable but most impotantly cheap and lesser known games.

i like fighters and shooters not surprisingly. oh, and scrolling beat-em-ups.

thanks

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
You're not in the wrong place at all. Here is what I'm going to recommend:

Samurai Shodown

Samurai Shodown II

King of Fighters 94 and 95

Fatal Fury Special

That's the fighters I recommend.

Lots of em actually man. I think the best bang for your buck Fighter out there is Fatal Fury Special, should run you around $30 complete. Other cheap ones I own and still enjoy today are Nam75, and King of the Monsters. Alot of people here like Cyber-Lip, its a pretty decent contra-style game for low cost. I like the graphics and the weapons on that one.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
To me, the first thing you should get is either Samurai Shodown 1 or 2 (if not both). They are both dirt cheap.

Then, Fatal Fury Special. It kicks all amount of ass. Maybe get Fatal Fury 2 also, but Special kicks 2's ass all over the place.

You can always look at Fatal Fury 1 and Art of Fighting 1. Some people don't like them, but I love AOF1 and I like to play FF1 for a nostalgia kick.

Super Porky

Camel Slug
Fatal Fury Special and Samurai Shodown 2 are two the best games on the Neo, as well as the cheapest. I paid $15 for FFS, and paid $21 for SS2. You cant go wrong with these games.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I still get a kick out of the first World Heroes and that can be had quite cheap. As for other games that don't get much attention but are very good in my mind are Burning Fight and Thrash Rally.

Cynn

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Art of Fighting 2, Samurai Spirits 2, and 2020 Super Baseball are great starters.

Here's a tip. Go to the selling forum (Neo Wanted) and post that you are a new AES player and you need some good condition but cheaper games to get started. Offer trades and what not. The community here can't be beat. I did something similar when I first got here and was offered some awesome deals by very nice guys just looking to help me out.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Samurai Spirits I & 2
King of Fighters 94 & 95
Baseball Stars 2
Art of Fighting 2
King of the Monsters

Also what do you consider cheap, cause under $100 for a home cart is cheap for me :p

It might be worth it for you to get a phantom-1 so you can get MVS carts REALLY cheap and stilll get the awesome Neo gameplay.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Last Blade 1 is the one game you should get if you can not afford any others for a while. It will run you about $150 wich is cheap for a AES game. If you want a game that will wow you and your friends, this is the game to get.

As for getting the earlier games such as Fatal Fury Special, KOF94, KOF95 etc. I personally would not reccomend them. Unless you are a long time fan you will most likely enjoy some of the newer titles like Last Blade 1 more. The control in FFS etc. is no very forgiving and the diffuculty levels are high. This is not a bad thing, it just depends on your taste.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
mikace01 said:
Last Blade 1 is the one game you should get if you can not afford any others for a while. It will run you about $150 wich is cheap for a AES game. If you want a game that will wow you and your friends, this is the game to get.

As for getting the earlier games such as Fatal Fury Special, KOF94, KOF95 etc. I personally would not reccomend them. Unless you are a long time fan you will most likely enjoy some of the newer titles like Last Blade 1 more. The control in FFS etc. is no very forgiving and the diffuculty levels are high. This is not a bad thing, it just depends on your taste.

come now mike, he said cheap games. LB1 isn't relatively expensive for a NGH cart, but it is still somewhat expensive for newcomers looking to start on something. I think KOF 95 would more than do the trick, even 94 is fine.

If your looking for something more modern, than go for Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, which can usually be found for about a 100 dollars.

Last edited:

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
CEX London has a lot of cheap games £20 -£50 give that a try if you dont like them you can always exchange for something else...

thanks a lot guys :D

what about scrolling shooters other than the contra type one someone mentioned earlier?

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I love Top Hunter, it is awesome 2p, and pretty fun 1p as well. It is pretty short but I love the game and I don't really care. I think I have a bare cart forsale soon too! ;)

Of all the Metal Slugs out there, the cheapest is MS3 and 4. 3 is one of the best slugs so you should get yourself that one!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
jethro jazz said:
thanks a lot guys :D

what about scrolling shooters other than the contra type one someone mentioned earlier?

Last Resort (horizontal)

Ghost Pilots (vertical)

Both are inexpensive and very good. Ghost Pilots may look very dated at first, but actually has nice gameplay if you spend some time with it.

Robert

20 Year Member
SS2, aggressor of the dark kombat, KOF 94 and AOF2 would be on my shopping list.

Snooptalian

Hairdresser, ,
Hell, if your into the Neo for the games only, and not worried about collecting, get yourself a Phantom-1 converter and then most of the games will be cheap and you'll be able to snag up just about any game you want, rather than pick and choose some AES games.;)

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Well no one's really mentioned beat-em-ups and one of the cheaper and best in the genre is Robo Army. Definately worth it.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
mikace01 said:

Not to cause arguements, but I have to disagree with this statement. Not the Last Blade part as it is a phenomenal game (although I wouldn't say cheap), but I never played Fatal Fury till I bought my Neo 3 or so years ago, and picked up Fatal Fury 2 as an early cheaper game, many many hours on it. Special is even better. Samsho 2 is another excellent starter as is KOF 95, 94 on the other hand I'd wait awhile before getting.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Funny how come noone mention Real Bout Fatal Fury or Samurai Shodown III !!!

is 60~75 dollars considered "EXPENSIVE" for a Neo Geo game ??

;)

They're not only good just to make conversions !:p

Skeeter

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Takumaji said:
Last Resort (horizontal)

Ghost Pilots (vertical)

Both are inexpensive and very good. Ghost Pilots may look very dated at first, but actually has nice gameplay if you spend some time with it.

Agreed. Both are worthy additions to a shooter fan's arsenal. Sonic Wings 2 is another that can be found for a decent price.

quigoncain

n00b
I started with the cheap games...but quickly figured out that it is the higher end priced games that are the best. Forget the $50 Magician Lord and Super Spy games, and go for KOF '98 at the bear minimum. Then get Last Blade and any Metal Slug. I've only had my NEO 6 months, bought eight total games, and these 3 are the absolute best IMO. KOF is the best fighting series ever!I just cannot put that game down!

mookystains

Chairman Kaga sez, "Dakis-san's the one who's goin
League Bowling, if you can find it.

Its strange, its getting very hard to find, but it still sells for $50.

Great fun, great fun....