Playmore update: KOF2003 confirmed for NEOGEO (plus other news)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
In today periodical SNK-Playmore site update, an official press release about TGS was posted.

Here are the main contents:

1) Consumer games presented at the expo:

Playstation 2 - "SNK VS. CAPCOM SVC CHAOS"
Playstation 2 - "The King of Fighters 2001"
Playstation 2 - "Metal slug 3"
Neo Geo ROM home cart - "Samurai Spirits Zero"
Portable telephone game - "Metal Slug"

2) Annouced game for futere release

Playstation 2 exclusive - "KOF" (3d)
Neo Geo ROM home cart - "The King of Fighters 2003"

The NeoGeo (both MVS and AES) release of KOF2003 has also been annoucend to be the first chapter of a new saga, and it will celebrate the 10th anniversary of the series.

Well, guess this puts an end to all the rumors of KOF2003 not coming on NeoGeo.

Gualtiero

Last edited:

Freelancer

Banned
YES!!!

KOF2k3 on the NEO GEO where it BELONGS!! Although we may not get the home cart until next year, I'm just glad to hear it's confirmed!!! :) :buttrock: :multi_co:

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
Freelancer said:
YES!!!

KOF2k3 on the NEO GEO where it BELONGS!! Although we may not get the home cart until next year, I'm just glad to hear it's confirmed!!! :) :buttrock: :multi_co:
Yeah me too.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
According to what was announced last year, this new saga should last 3 chapters + a final dedicated Dream Match.

The whole thing should be developed on our beloved Neo hardware.

Well, seems everything going smooth for us NeoLover, huh? :-)

Now if only some brand new games would be develepoed, something of any different genre from beat em up and slugs, ti would be just a perfect world... ;-)

thundr51

Bead Banger
Well, time to start some new rumors...

MOTW2 is coming out on the SEGACD!:lol:

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Yay for more KOF! I think they started development on this a while ago and as such they're going to put it out Neo style.

Conversely I would seriously think this is going to be the last KOF put out on the MVS and the Atomiswave may be the the next stop for the series.

If not simply because there will be less bootlegging going on there.

BTW, I'm just wondering is this true: Is Kensou going to be the new KOF hero? Man that'd be hella wierd, but coincidentally I started using him more and more recently...:D

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
This is very good news the neogeo lives on again for another tournament....

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
Yay for more KOF! I think they started development on this a while ago and as such they're going to put it out Neo style.

Conversely I would seriously think this is going to be the last KOF put out on the MVS and the Atomiswave may be the the next stop for the series.

If not simply because there will be less bootlegging going on there.

BTW, I'm just wondering is this true: Is Kensou going to be the new KOF hero? Man that'd be hella wierd, but coincidentally I started using him more and more recently...:D

According to the storyline plot, Kensou and Lin should be the main charas. Bao too.

Shingo should team up with Saishu, and I would add Chizuru.

If you look closely, you would discover Bao, Lin, Shingo and Shaishu were non ripped for KOF2002.

What a coincidence, huh?

I'm betting on a nice USA Sports Team comback in 2003. They should be hella interested in the Dragon Spirit thing, yay!

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
thundr51 said:
Well, time to start some new rumors...

MOTW2 is coming out on the SEGACD!:lol:

D'oh, that will be just an inferior port.

Anyway, I already have the rom.

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
Cool news!
I'd like to hear more info about that change in gameplay which was mentioned a week or so ago..

Yamazaki_RJ

Overtop Pathfinder
Shito said:
According to the storyline plot, Kensou and Lin should be the main charas. Bao too.

Shingo should team up with Saishu, and I would add Chizuru.

If you look closely, you would discover Bao, Lin, Shingo and Shaishu were non ripped for KOF2002.

What a coincidence, huh?

I'm betting on a nice USA Sports Team comback in 2003. They should be hella interested in the Dragon Spirit thing, yay!

Yeah...

They will be ripped from KOF '98... :p

Bao and Lin, maybe, will have slightly changes. Stay tunned on the next month! :p

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I wish I could care about KOF, but the name has been exploited and pasted onto too many mediocre games now... I'm bored with KOF and not too excited in this iteration of the game. Bring on SS0, rehash or not, at least it hasn't been done to death yet!

-Nick

Zerogoki

n00b
I'm hoping for a new engine like the transition kof 95->kof 96, but it is probably a useless dream :( .

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The whole KOF concept went wrong after '94 imo.
The whole idea of KOF was to gather fighters from different series/saga's of the neo geo Library and have them square off against each other and the host.
Kyo and Iroi should should have about three or four titles out seperaste from the tornament rather than be intertwined with it.
I've always believed that the KOF tournament should have been a very special event including SamSho,Burning Fight,LB and even Baseball Star 2 characters.
With the above being stated,I'm always happy for another release but I believe KOF should have always been our very own "in house" SNK vs SNK
-BB

mrchafe

Mr. Big's Thug
All I can say is, "yay!"

Somehow, a KOF making a non-SNK platform its home just doesn't feel right to me. KOF is one of those serieses that makes the Neo-Geo so special! I'm glad SNKP have decided to continue with our favourite little platform, and although the dream has to end some day...

..well, let's just hope not too soon, eh?

Now, what about Kensou as a main character? Why not do the KOF'99 thing and introduce a new lead like they did with K'? Kensou just doesn't seem like a good lead in my eyes.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Big Bear: Although I think KoF 2000 was a bit of a step toward "let's put all kind of SNK characters in", with all the different strikers (from Last Blade, Kizuna Encounter etc)... It's a minor thing I know, and they're not playable, but still... :p
It was kind of nice, despite the fact a lot of people dislike strikers.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
fcuk the graphical upgrades, I just want new sprites. I want these characters to change a bit, like Kim did in 2k2.

Is that too much to ask?

I'd actually rather still have it on the Neo Geo.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
the roker said:
fcuk the graphical upgrades, I just want new sprites. I want these characters to change a bit, like Kim did in 2k2.

Is that too much to ask?

I'd actually rather still have it on the Neo Geo.

100% my point.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
ABSOLUTELY!! Who wrote the rule that Team KOREA has to be Kim,Chang and Choi?? I'm sick of the same damn teams competing every year! Some teams/combatants have'nt even earned the right to be in what was supposed to be the SNKv SNK eventy of the year. I tell you the F**** up along time ago. Maybe that's why i only appreciate the SPECIAL/DREAM matches nowadays...
-BB

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Finally, some good news. We now know it's coming up for the neo geo,now it's time to ask for a release date.

I'm just fucking glad they decided to continue on the neo for one more year.

neonut

Crossed Swords Squire
funny how every 1 wants the games to stay on the neo( maybe because they dished out load of money for the homecarts, trhat why mvs is the way for me) , but then when the cart or pc (in snk vs cap) comes out all these ppl come out of nowhere and bitch ,bitch ,bitch , this animation is terrible , backgrounds look bad, sound sucks..its rather amusing, but hey i like the neo ,have had it around for a long time and i wouldnt mind a new board or platform. Its gonna die someday..........neonut

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I hope this is a trend!!

Give us a little 3D, just for fun, and KEEP RELEASING 2D!!!

I have nothing against 3D fighters, and I'm definitly interested in seeing what KOF 3D has to offer, but I thought it would be at the expense of more KOF 2D.

Playmore proved me wrong. They're doing exactly what I would want them to do with the series. Instead of changing direction they're branching out.

Personally, I couldn't be any happier if the news had been delivered by two 3,000$/night, pre-payed, Japanese hookers.

well...maybe...:D :D

M

MistressDragon

I'm curious to know what cell phone providers will have metal slug.