I think we know what KOF 2003 is gonna be on now ..

Igniz

Island Native,
253_1.jpg

Seems to be on a new hardware , but i'm probably wrong.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
That one screen shot of the title says it all folks!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
No it doesn't. There is a lot of speculation right now. I hope it isn't Atomiswave, and besides it doesn't make sense.

If its in production now, wouldn't it be called KOF 2k4 when it's released next year?

The screenshot provides no clue whatsoever

editor

n00b
KoF2003 KO!

Safe money is that these images, and the later 3D images shown in the Tokyo Game Show announcement, are ATOMISWAVE.

It seems that KoF2003 (now to appear in 2004) was a MVS while the new game KoF2004 was ATOMISWAVE, but I may be beating a dead horse here.

This news at TGS means all the AMShow stuff was total guff from the SNKP guys. See this is what you get for talking to people who can't afford a booth at a show!

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Last edited:

Robert

20 Year Member
I think it's clear now, KOF 2003 will be on MVS. The logo doesn't mean anything. It can be made on MVS.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Given that SNKP was reported as far back as February as having programmers working with Atomiswave, I'd be suprised if KOF2003 isn't using that hardware.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
folks, its just a logo, don't get your knickers in a knot

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Re: Re: Re: MVS Version Dead!

Decepticon said:
But IIRC Trieu posted over at S-C.com that KOF2003 was indeed for the Atomiswave and they knew about it for a while but then later retracted that statement.

I don't know what to think right now. Trieu's lastest report said KOF would be appearing on both Atomis and MVS, so unless his report changed again.... :(

Paul Phoenix

New Challenger
I just thought it would be necessary to add that SNKP is also working on a special KoF game for PS2 which has no official title at the moment. Maybe they showed it under the name of KoF 2003 as the 3D models you already mentioned were supposed to be the PS2 game and they were directly shown after this logo in the first thread.
It just may be a bit confusing right now, but I am sure that the official KoF 2003 won´t be a 3D game.

And by the way, have some of you already seen Atomiswave games ??? Because from what I saw up to now I am really NOT impressed by the performance of the new board.
The only game with some 2D elements is Knights of Valor which features 3D backgrounds and 2D figures which looks odd when being put together. The backgrounds rotate and the sprites stay in the same angles on this looks really kinky.

The other game I saw was a complete 3D fighter but I forgot the name because it is also very unimpressive compared to "real" 3D fighters like Tekken 4, Soul Calibur 2 or Virtua Fighter Evolution.

So we have to wait and see where the real poxer of the atomiswave board is.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Paul Phoenix said:
And by the way, have some of you already seen Atomiswave games ??? Because from what I saw up to now I am really NOT impressed by the performance of the new board.
The only game with some 2D elements is Knights of Valor which features 3D backgrounds and 2D figures which looks odd when being put together. The backgrounds rotate and the sprites stay in the same angles on this looks really kinky.

The other game I saw was a complete 3D fighter but I forgot the name because it is also very unimpressive compared to "real" 3D fighters like Tekken 4, Soul Calibur 2 or Virtua Fighter Evolution.

So we have to wait and see where the real poxer of the atomiswave board is.

Well, I'm running Guilty Gear X 1.5 on my Atomiswave right now, and it looks damn pretty. :)

Atomiswave is basically a ROM-only Naomi.

Paul Phoenix

New Challenger
Ok, Guilty Gear is fine, that´s the point why I did not mention it, but 3D games and backgrounds, hmm... I do not think the board has enough power to compete with games like Tekken 4 or SC 2.
If this information should be wrong please let me know ;)

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
Re: Re: Re: Re: MVS Version Dead!

NeoLord said:
I don't know what to think right now. Trieu's lastest report said KOF would be appearing on both Atomis and MVS, so unless his report changed again.... :(

He posted that back when the word first surfaced about KOF being on Atomiswave

CraigPilecky

Zero's Tailor
Do we really need a KoF2003? The MVS/AES has been host to NINE KoF games. NINE of them! Every year since 94 weve had a new KoF game. I dont mind missing one year and skiping straight to 2004. In fact I think the series needs a year off.

Im ready for some summer 2004 high resolution KoF with completely redrawn sprites. Follwed soon after by a PS2 release. I could live without a KoF2003 on MVS. SNKPlaymore should just give the series the year off.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Paul Phoenix said:
Ok, Guilty Gear is fine, that´s the point why I did not mention it, but 3D games and backgrounds, hmm... I do not think the board has enough power to compete with games like Tekken 4 or SC 2.
If this information should be wrong please let me know ;)

Probably not, though SC2 doesn't really look that much better than SC did on Dreamcast, with half the RAM of Atomiswave.

Still, my hopes are that Atomiswave will play host to a new generation of hi-res 2D SNK goodies.

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
OK, here is whats bothering me:

Someone was there at the announcement.
Someone with a camera.
Possibly a camcorder.
Mabye they even spoke Japanese and English.
There is a bloke in that picture with his mouth to a microphone.
Mabye he was saying something.

so.......

Is there a video of this announcement anywhere? do we get to see what comes after that title image? do we get to know exactly what the people from SNKP/Sammy were saying?

Might go some way to clearing up the confusion dontcha think?

Parallax

Ninja Combat Warrior
No offense guys but while I would stand by my MVS to the day I die I think the Atomoswave is very similar to the way mvs works.
And I for one am very excited about neo's move to the platform.
I'd rather have a KOF2003 that looks spiffy and new than have one that looks just like 2002.

Paul Phoenix

New Challenger
New information today:

Maybe you might already know this but I just watched the trailer from TGS showing the 3D KoF models, and the images from yesterday were definitely taken from this trailer.
Now the point is that this trailer ends with the Playstation 2 logo, so it is exactly what I expected: the 3D models are from the special PS2 KoF game, so there is still no evidence on what KoF 2003 will be or look like.
Maybe this will help.