SVC impressions on IGN PS2

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Link

Its actually one of the most positive reviews I've read about the game. It even calls it *gasp* fast.

Either these guys don't know what they're talking about or they might be talking about the game most of us anticiapated SVC would be.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
the roker said:
Link

Its actually one of the most positive reviews I've read about the game. It even calls it *gasp* fast.

Either these guys don't know what they're talking about or they might be talking about the game most of us anticiapated SVC would be.

I don't ever remember anyone every saying it was a slow game, except for some scrubs.

Oh BTW, roker, are you getting SVC home cart? We live right by each other, so need to meet up and play for a bit, after I've had a little time to practice, of course. ;)

Matt

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Re: Re: SVC impressions on IGN PS2

Force said:
I don't ever remember anyone every saying it was a slow game, except for some scrubs.

Oh BTW, roker, are you getting SVC home cart? We live right by each other, so need to meet up and play for a bit, after I've had a little time to practice, of course. ;)

Matt

Had to cancel my preorder unfortunately. I got stuck with some unexpected bills. I remember some people saying it was slow due to the dashing, but I thought it was a good speed when I played it at Wizzards.

CraigPilecky

Zero's Tailor
I am so glad I pre-ordered this game. I cannot frigging wait!

Plus ive got Last Blade on the way. :) Gotta love the ol reliable Neo Geo!

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Will you look at that? IGN gave SVC:Chaos a glowing write-up!
If that doesn't say much for the archaic Neo-Geo hardware then
nothing else will. It just goes to show you that you don't need new hardware to impress the mainstream -- you just need exposure.

Here are a few excerpts from the IGN article that stood out the most while I was reading it:

Although the SNK side didn't receive any major graphical updates (the majority of the characters are taken from King of Fighters), all of the Capcom characters have been completely redrawn and look edgier than before. Dhalsim's limbs actually look like rubber when he extends them forward for an attack. More importantly than that, all of the characters have the same visual style, unlike what Capcom did with Capcom vs. SNK by mixing various sprites together in one game. This creates a much more cohesive and uniform look to the game, which will please gamers who are tired of looking at Guile's 5-year-old sprite from Street Fighter Alpha 3.

I like their comment about Guile's sprite.:lol:

...and the following:

The first thing we noticed about SvC's gameplay is that feels like a true mixture of SNK and Capcom game styles without the fussy "grooves" you had to pick in the earlier collaborations. Aside from the fact that you now have two life bars as opposed to one, much of the game will feel old hat to seasoned 2D veterans. However, there are a few features that have been left out of the game that fans of both companies might be angry over. SNK fans may cry foul when they learn that you can't roll through an attack in this game, and Capcom fans will do likewise if they try to airblock attacks. Replacing both of these techniques is a new tactic called Guard Cancels.

Oh, wait -- are my eyes deceiving me?

What is most impressive about SvC is how good the animation is, despite being on the aging Neo-Geo MVS hardware. The good ol' bounce with Mai and Chun-Li is still present, Ryu's clothing still wavers with the wind whenever he wins, and Hugo… what can we say about Hugo? The guy takes up almost the entire height of the screen. It's truly remarkable to see what SNK/Playmore have been able to pump out with this hardware for the better part of a decade. On top of the regular cast of fighters, there are also a deluge of secret characters that can be accessed by inputting secret codes when selecting your characters. Characters such as Goenitz, Zero (from the Megaman series), Demitri (Darkstalkers), Dan, Evil Ken and everyone's favorite bad boy Geese can all be accessed with these secret codes -- and they are extremely potent when used by experienced players.

They also said the game is cohesive and plays fast! I agree with them. Apparently the Neo-Geo can hold its own and STILL impress at the same time; the article from IGN proves this. Take note, SNK Playmore!

Last edited:

BloodLust

World Soccer '96
ign not talking out of their asses? this is new :eek_2:

~likes that this "aged" look is geting respect~

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The funny thing, when they bashed the Guile sprite, they forgot that some of those KOF sprites are from KOF 96. They should have just said, "the SNK sprites have a more timeless quality to them than those shitty Alpha anime inspired sprites."

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
the roker said:
The funny thing, when they bashed the Guile sprite, they forgot that some of those KOF sprites are from KOF 96. They should have just said, "the SNK sprites have a more timeless quality to them than those shitty Alpha anime inspired sprites."

:tickled:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
The boards on IGN are even better. Somebody else made a post on the PS2 boards. We got 2 kids saying, ugh! It looks like crap! Guilty Gear XX looks so much better!

Then I went in saying it's great to see how it's coming out on the PS2 but I will wait for when the PCB board drops in price. I said Ports are ports, but you can't beat the real thing.

So a MOD of the board comes in an says this.

"Ports are ports, you can't beat the real thing"

What do you mean "Real Thing"? You mean, the original is the only "real" version?

Many ports are as good or better than the original. The PSX was a garbage system for sprites... but the PS2 is infinitely better of a system than the Neo Geo, hence it being able to run a game such as Guilty Gear X2 without a hitch

The original is the only real verson?!!?? YES!!! I hate these stupid people that don't understand the Neo-Geo and classic gaming in general. They can take there hi-res sprites and shove um.

That was an interesting read. Thanks for posting it!

But seriously though guys I have to say this: IGN's opinion (and maybe its factual) is that 2D fighting is a dying genre? Can you guys imagine a time that 2D fighting will no longer be evenly remotely embraced by casual gamers? I cannot. I have play 3D fighters before. Referencing the countless 2D vs 3D fighter threads of past, 2D fighters just have more speed and precision required of the player. I mean 3D fighters are beautiful, you can see every nook and cranny of the characters. They have perfect animation but you know they fight as if they are made of elastic bands! Every one does this. I guess i'm just inexperienced with 3D fighters but I also hate having to orient my character in the right direction before I fight my opponent. Geeze I must be old-school.

BloodLust

World Soccer '96
its just that people nowadays want looks over substance.

all these people who bash the way kof games look,are the same people who prefer spongbob over ~add a good cartoon/anime here~. people have their own tastes but still...

games91999

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
i do have to say that to finally have a positive review of a snk game is way overdue! it was great to see so many great remarks made about one of the best games i've played. hopefully now the gaming community will be a little bit more interested in the snk style of gaming.

by the way...i want a dreamcast port too...please.

Robert

20 Year Member
the ovrall impression of the game seems to be very good. I still don't regret to have preordered the game.

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
games91999 said:
i do have to say that to finally have a positive review of a snk game is way overdue! it was great to see so many great remarks made about one of the best games i've played.
Neo use to get good reviews... back when mags still reviewed the games. Hell, even MotW the DC port got a 8/10 (which is only a decent port, not a good port) in EGM. It is not like the Neo use to get crap reviews, they just have not gotten any in like.... too long. I think that people forget every thing earlier than 1 year back sometimes.

The Roket said:
The funny thing, when they bashed the Guile sprite, they forgot that some of those KOF sprites are from KOF 96.
Well that is because Kof 96 is still the best :glee: