Monitor Questions (If you know anything please help)

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Ok well over the weekend I picked up a Primal Rage cabinet. Dirt ass cheap ($189 with tax) and took it home. Anyways, the reason that I got it was that it was 25" monitor size and it was cheaper than getting a monitor shipped that size.

So I look at the monitor before I buy it and it looks great (a bit bright, but that was probably a dial that needed adjusting). I agree to the terms get it home. in the transit and moving it upstairs (I had to take the monitor out so that it was lighter) I managed to mess up the monitor.

There are about 15 - 20 "bright" lines through out the monitor. They are really only aparent when it is black, but there are some points that it is noticable when the game is running as well. I managed to notice this after I got the monitor out, but there is this brown wire, not attached to anything, and it comes off of the fly-back.

Well here is what I am looking for.

1) Is this a common problem? it is an older monitor. Is this something a cap kit can fix?

2) Does this relate to that brown wire? possibly?

3) Can anyone help me find what monitor I have? It is a 25" that is in a cabinet that was originally a SF2CE cabinet. All I know is the serial # and the manufacture date (April '92) but I could not find any info on it in the cab or on the monitor.

Thanks in advance!

neo-geo 2

Raiden's Valet
You are seeing retrace lines. That brown definately has something to do with it. See if there is any place where it came unplugged from and re-connect it.

Shapermc

neo-geo 2 said:
You are seeing retrace lines. That brown definately has something to do with it. See if there is any place where it came unplugged from and re-connect it.
Well, like I said, I have no idea what it came disconnected from. I did not break it from anything that I can tell and it was twisted together so someone else did something to it.

Anyways, is there a place that is good for monitor manuals. Everytime I look I turn up with computer monitor manuals (for mame :rolleyes: )

Thanks again!

hardware_hack

New Challenger
I think it's important to note that the flyback is the reason people told you not to take a tv apart when you were a kid.

It's got HV going through it when it's on, and on some flybacks, even if they're working properly getting anything close to them makes a corona discharge, and will eventually lead to breakdown.

Shapermc

Well i think that I found a site that has my monitor manual. I will see tonight. I wish that I could figure out the manual for sure.

If you have any more ideas please let me know.

I don't want to mess with the flyback....

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
What you described sounds the you are seeing the vertical retrace lines. This usually happens when you have the screen brightness(on the flyback) set too high. Just turn it down a bit. You can also adjust the focus if it's a bit blurred. As long as you don't touch anthing except the adjustment knob you should be fine.

Shapermc

:(

Well I have a Wells Gardner 25K7193 and it seems to be the only monitor on the internet that does not have a manual. I am assuming that it is the K7100 series although I have found no supprt for it.

Again any help is needed.

Shapermc

I got it all working, thanks for the help. It looks crisp and sharp.

If anyone can get me that manual I would be permenantly indeted to them. Thank you very much.

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
Email Wells Gardner tech support and they can probably send you the manual for it through email. We've had them fax schematics for a K7500 to us before.

The flyback is a transformer on the monitor PCB that generates the high voltage needed to run the CRT(glass part of the monitor).

Earthquake

SouthTown StreetSweeper
The flyback is a transformer on the monitor PCB that generates the high voltage needed to run the CRT(glass part of the monitor).

Thanks for letting me know Rez. I appreciate it! :)