Does the MVS Big Red Cab have a degauss button anywhere?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Well, mine is on the back of the monitor, but I don't have a big red... I have a standard cab. I guess you could look at the back with the other picture controls and see if there is one there.

-Nick

BILLY

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm pretty sure a lot of arcade monitors are auto degaussing. In other words the monitor will degauss each time you turn it on. However, there is a waiting period. You can't just turn the monitor on and off quickly to get it to auto-degauss. It has to sit for at least 5-10 minutes after being turned off.

misshotback

Zero's Secretary
i'm also wondering if my problem can be fixed by degaussing. Here's the deal: on certain geometric shapes, such as the health bar, pow bar,and character selection pics there are green lines that bleed off of these shapes.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Hmm, might be a cap problem instead. Are the lines broken, like expanded scan lines? Or, just colors that are running. Might need a cap kit on that monitor.

-Nick

misshotback

Zero's Secretary
Here are some pics to show what the problem is:

Character select screen:
monitor1.jpg

Meters:
monitor3.jpg

monitor4.jpg

Victory screen:
monitor2.jpg

I can get rid of these lines by turning down the contrast, but then the screen is way too dark; i already have brightness up as high as it can go.

I'm wary of soldering, I hope this isn't a cap issue.:eek:

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
soldering really isnt bad at all, youll be real suprised. I learned in minute and I too was possibly facing a cap job. From the looks of it should be easy and the cap kit from Happ is only like $10. You can do it :cool:

BILLY

Mr. Big's Thug
If you replace the capacitors on your monitor, remember that monitors can have a potentially lethal charge. They can shock the hell out of you even when they're unplugged.

Soldering on the cap kit shouldn't be too tricky, just make sure you properly discharge the monitor before doing anything. I think there are a number of pages around the web about doing this.

misshotback

Zero's Secretary
Okay, so now the fan isn't working unless I blow some canned air into it, and the on/off switch doesn't work either; I have to unplugg the system to turn it off. I guess it needs a new power supply as well.

And the last owner did not leave a marquee key with me; he's "checking with his tech guys" to try and find one.

For a system that was supposed to be "fully shopped out" I'm a little disappointed. :( :(

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
Fan? I've never seen a neo cab with a fan.

And what do you mean by marquee key?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
My cab doesn't have a fan on it's power supply..I'm pretty sure my power supply was a replacement..

I put a big house fan on my cab..to keep it cool..it does a good job,it gets pretty hot in there.
I found a 3 speed fan that is powerfull,quiet,thin and fits in the bottom of my cab perfectly..
I have it on a tilt where it blows air through the mother board and up behind the monitor...coming back down to the power supply..
(I baby my cab)

When I got my cab it didn't have the marquee key either..
Do you have one or two locks..?

I picked one lock using miniature screw drivers..the other was jammed with a quarter behind it..
I found some old keys around and I got the lock to open..turning it real hard..
If you have any small keys around try them you may get lucky..

I wish I lived close enough to help this girl out.

I would like to see what your cab looks like..could you post a pic..?

misshotback

Zero's Secretary
Here's the power supply, the fan, located top left moves back and forth a little but doesn't go into a full spin unless I blow a little canned air on it:
fan.jpg

My marquee has one lock on it, I'll check around for some small keys, maybe one of my work keys or a generic file cabinet key might work on it, otherwise I'll have to unscrew the whole thing and buy a new lock. The lock looks pretty generic.

And here's my one-slot Big Red.
bigred.jpg

Got a lot of cleaning to do on it. The front has chipped a little bit as you can somewhat see in the picture. It's not in its final spot yet since I'm still fiddling with it. I'm trying to get a tech from a local coin-op retailer to come out and replace the capacitors and I'm going to pick up a degaussing coil soon. I'm still salty that my "completely shopped out" cab is in need of so much work already.

misshotback

Zero's Secretary
Bought a new power supply from Happ, which will solve my broken power switch and fan problems. Monitor is the next big job. I'm itching to get some more games but I want to get this baby into better shape first.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Wow,That's a nice cab...Congratulations..

That fan must be worn out....

I'm so impressed to see such a dedicated Neo Geo Gamer..