The Neo addiction is killing my wallet!

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
I just got my credit card statement and then tallied up my potential May Neo spending, and b/w April and May $683! That's like 3 weeks pay for me. I'm new on the Neo scene, but man I got to control myself. No more purchases until July! shame

<small>[ May 22, 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Big Shady ]</small>

StarPhoenix

New Challenger
Big Shady,

I know the feeling....I'm also new to the Neo Scene and I just keep buying...must stop...must stop...I have even had to stop playing Neo until my Finals are over with in two weeks.

I spent a total of about $407 on my Neo and a couple of games in this month alone...and this month is not over yet.

Star Phoenix

buster_broon

The Rock,
well buy ports of the games on other systems

much much cheaper then you will have more money for other stuff

btw ports are teh roxors and dont let anybody from San francisco tell you otherwise :)

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
pmok21:
shady i've spent over 1200 so don't feel bad :)
Ah, I feel slightly better now. I really want to save a Metal Slug (possibly MS3). Excellent seller here by the way guys.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
buster_broon:
well buy ports of the games on other systems

much much cheaper then you will have more money for other stuff

btw ports are teh roxors and dont let anybody from San francisco tell you otherwise :)
It's not like I spend too much money. angry tickled

<small>[ May 22, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: xtoo_short20x ]</small>

BakuretsuMutekiSid

Zero's Tailor
Ain't it tha truth. A Neo Geo enthusiast is worse than being a crack whore :cool: ahaha

I'm proud of the fact that I procured a Neo Geo gold system (see selling section), and 8 stellar fucking games during one year of 'graduate' school. But I'm not proud of the fact that my funds were basically non-existant shortly thereafter.

When does a hobby become an addiction/just wrong? I don't know but the Neo Geo is pushin it man, especially for the avg. middle class person/family...

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Yes, the Neo is worse than crack and being able to buy online only makes it worse because unlike a few years ago, the market is now global.

BTW, you only make $700 in 3 weeks? Where do you work, McDonalds?
wink

<small>[ May 23, 2003, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: Argentina94 ]</small>

Argentina94:
Yes, the Neo is worse than crack and being able to buy online only makes it worse because unlike a few years ago, the market is now global.

wink
Argentina94, be nice-
Regardless of where he works, we all have to start somewhere in life.

Anyway, back on the subject on Big Shady's statement, yea it hurts man. But remember, some to many NEO AES games hold their value to some extent. What I do is I literally budget myself on what I am allowed to spend. But also on the other hand, it is expected that one would spend lots of money if they just bought a NEO.

Look at it this way, some of us who bought our AES's back in 1990+ had to live with the fact that we sank up to $650 for the Gold System. I was one of them. In fact I still have the receipt!

<small>[ May 23, 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Electroman ]</small>

StarPhoenix

New Challenger
Just bought Crossed Swords...must stop....must stop...no...I need my...Neo...Fix!!! If Neo is equal to Crack, then my fiance is going to wonder why I am sniffing my controller.

Anyone seen "Spun"? Great movie for Crack Whores to go see. :)

Star Phoenix

rhiohki

Dodgeball Yakuza
I am new to the Neo Geo scene. I make 53K a year as a engineer and I am still broke. Not just collecting Neo Geo Stuff, but Collecting Import Satrun, Import Dreamcast, and PC-FX.

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
My strategy, which has worked pretty well so far, is to buy whatever game that I can find in mint condition, at the lowest possible price.

Now, I know what you are saying, "DUH!"

But let me give you an example:

I ONLY collect games in complete, MINT (or as close as possible) condition.

Right now, I could care less what the game is, just as long as it's cheap, and in complete, MINT condition.

Within the past 3 months, I have picked up 8 games, for a total of $390.00 (including shipping.)

When compared to the price guide, that's one hell of a savings. And no, the games don't suck either - KOF '97 for $90 was a great find, and the most I have paid for a game thus far.

I guess my point is, I'm not in any hurry for any particular game, so I get what I can, for how much I am willing to pay.

At this rate, I will probably have 40 games by Christmas, and I would put the ones that I have now up against anyone's when it comes to condition.

Now here's the rub - I collect games for EVERY console system (except PSX, XBOX and PS2). Imagine how hard it is on my wallet to do that!!

Take care & good luck,
Steve

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
quite honestly i ve taken a great break from
buying NEOGEO stuff for a month or two.
its a major relief.
i ve just been picking up gba stuff in expectiations
of the gba player
and other things.
like going back to school.
:/
at least i m getting a fish.
:B

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Argentina94:

wink
No, I'm a student and work part time at Home Depot. 12.50/hr baby :D Only 20 hrs a week though, so its like $245 I'm getting a week, so 3 weeks is $735. When I go full time next week, time to bring home the bacon!

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
I know what you mean. I'm also new to the Neo scene. Spent $1144 this month alone. Gotta take a break in June...maybe.

buster_broon

The Rock,
its called the neo fever

dopnt worry it can wear off quickly - when you get better you get the symptoms of buyers regret during this period you wanna sell everything off

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The Neo Geo bit me hard a few years ago. I was buyig games like crazy, my friends were getting a little worried. I went from 20 some odd games to 70 in a year! Yeah, MVS, but I was buying a lot of $220 games in there!

It calmed down... I calmed down.... I bought two games so far this year... Will probably only buy a few more... even though I just got a huge raise! You get to a point when you realize the games aren't going anywhere... and you don't need every title wink Hell, I still have 90 carts though... so... I know all about the neo fever.

-Nick