Neo-NooB with questions..

Shadevar

n00b
I used to own a Neo Geo AES when they were first released back in college. Was so much fun, we used to have lines of people waiting for thier turn at Samauri Shodown. Unfortunately after moving from college I ended up giving the system (which at the time had a broken controller port) to the movers ;-p

I just purchased a fully modded Neo Geo home system with Phantom-1 and have been having an absolute blast with it. It's funny how the sound of the music or the effects from Samauri Showdown (or any old game for that matter) create nastalgia from long ago. It's almost like Im back in that cramped dorm room creaming everyone on the floor.

Now that I've been sucked full force back into the folds of Neo Geo gaming I had a few questions for you veterans.

First off Im considering getting a Cabinet. Currently I have a game room for Warhammer and plenty of room for a nice cab. I here people discussing different kinds of cabinets and while I understand the difference between 1,2,4 and 6 slot MVS systems I dont understand terms like "candy" and "Jamma". My favorite cabinet from an asthetic angle are the wide large screened white ones. But I have no clue what they are (I know blasphemy). Any help here is appreciated

My second question is about games. Since Im just getting back into this and will be mostly in it for the gameing (as opposed to collecting) what are some 'Must Have' games out there?

I really appreciate all your help and keep gaming all!

ray_7

KoF2002. It's just been released on MVS, and if you're a fighting games fan, this is an absolute must!

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Originally posted by Shadevar:
<strong>

First off Im considering getting a Cabinet. Currently I have a game room for Warhammer and plenty of room for a nice cab. I here people discussing different kinds of cabinets and while I understand the difference between 1,2,4 and 6 slot MVS systems I dont understand terms like "candy" and "Jamma". My favorite cabinet from an asthetic angle are the wide large screened white ones. But I have no clue what they are (I know blasphemy). Any help here is appreciated</strong>
<hr></blockquote>

Candy - Sit down cab.

JAMMA - Standard hookups for Standard Cabs.. not all cabs across coin-op adhere to it, particularly older ones. It jsut means you can swap out boards almost seamlessly with this pinout configuration.

<strong>
My second question is about games. Since Im just getting back into this and will be mostly in it for the gameing (as opposed to collecting) what are some 'Must Have' games out there?

I really appreciate all your help and keep gaming all!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cheap Must Haves?

If you're going MVS which it seems you are..

Metal Slug
KOF Series (although not my favorite)
RBFFS
Shock Troopers
Bust a move
Blazing Star
Pulstar
Last Blade 1 + 2
Sam Sho4
Magician Lord

That's a good cheap start.

Shadevar

n00b
RBFFS? Not sure what that title is, the accronyms are taking me a bit ;-)

The Metal Slug series looks like a ton of fun and are games Im looking forward to getting. Are any of them better than others?

Also I'll say that while I am going MVS, cost isnt much of an issue. I have no problem dropping 200 bucks on good games. They make thier money back quickly imo as it keeps me out of the local martini bar ;-p

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
<strong>RBFFS? Not sure what that title is, the accronyms are taking me a bit ;-)

The Metal Slug series looks like a ton of fun and are games Im looking forward to getting. Are any of them better than others?

Also I'll say that while I am going MVS, cost isnt much of an issue. I have no problem dropping 200 bucks on good games. They make thier money back quickly imo as it keeps me out of the local martini bar ;-p</strong><hr></blockquote>

Real
Bout
Fatal
Fury
Special

...I'd like to suggest Magical Drop III and Sengoku 3 if you're looking for good/affordable games...

<strong>RBFFS? Not sure what that title is, the accronyms are taking me a bit ;-)

Also I'll say that while I am going MVS, cost isnt much of an issue. I have no problem dropping 200 bucks on good games. They make thier money back quickly imo as it keeps me out of the local martini bar ;-p</strong><hr></blockquote>

Start with Metal Slug X (the most well-balanced game out of the five Metal Slugs). If you plan on getting a four-slot MVS cab, also be sure to add Samurai Shodown II, Last Blade 2, and Money Puzzle Exchanger (a highly-addictive puzzle game) to your initial list. In the future, you might want to add Sengoku 3, Baseball Stars 2, King of Fighters '98, Bust-A-Move Again, and Aero Fighters 2, just so you can have a well-balanced lineup. Wait a little while for the newer games (like Metal Slug 4 and Rage of The Dragons) to go down in price before snatching them up.

That's my advice, at least.

Shadevar

n00b
Candy means sit down cab? The local guy has one labled candy but theres no seat. Unless you mean the monitor 'sits back' a bit.

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
welcome back to Neo gaming!

You can check my site reviews (http://www.neogeotemple.com) for my opinions on games.

RBFFS is the 6th Fatal Fury game, Real Bout Fatal Fury Special.

If you love the classics though I also suggest Fatal Fury Special.

Sit down cabs are Japanese cabs & come in 19", 25", & 29" versions, though HUGE screen cabs are avaliable. You can view all Candy models at <a href="http://www.arcade-infinity.com" target="_blank">http://www.arcade-infinity.com</a> (where I purchased my 2 cabs).

Regular cabs are the bid red ones seen in US arcades, they come in 19", 25", & 27" models.

Good luck!

Lee (garg7)
<a href="http://www.neogeotemple.com" target="_blank">http://www.neogeotemple.com</a>

Shadevar

n00b
Im actually looking at two of the cabs at Arcade Infinity right now. Both 29"- are there any quality differences in the japanese cabs compared to US ones? Personally I like the set back look and feel.