SNK vs Capcom on the Neo ...4 button blues ?

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
I just realized that if SVC Chaos is going to be on the Neo Geo hardware the capcom characters are going to be dramatically different , because of the 4 button limitation of the neo .

of course they can do it Samurai Spirits style where the fierce attack would be achieved by pressing 2 buttons simultaniously .

This is definately in one way or another make Capcom fighting fans re-learn the characters they use .

George

<small>[ May 12, 2003, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Retrogamer ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The first CvS had a 4 button layout and it wasn't bad. Most of the fierce attacks were pressing your mediums while holding forward. It's a little tricky to get used to, but after playing for a while it comes as second nature. I don't think 4 buttons is going to be a problem. They're probably going to keep the 2 button simultaneous activations reserved for that new "ground step" or whatnot. I hope they have rolls :( No rolls = SonGohan unhappy.

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
I glad that there is only 4 buttons to use, I get sick of using the 6 button format whenever I play CvS2. And Son Gohan I agree with you no rolls will make me unhappy as well.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I am going to sound like a scrub, but, I normally play with 4 buttons anyway. To be honest, I barely ever use medium attacks on Capcom brawlers, it is either light or heavy... so I am cool with it,

-Nick

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
The characters who will suffer the most from missing mediums will be charge characters, specifically Balrog cuz he has no projectile and can only use regular punches. Hopefully they come up with a way to allow you to use 3 attacks. Maybe pressing both kicks/punches will give you your 3rd attack.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
call me a puss but i suck with 6 buttons.
i d prefer 4 myself.
so my hands arent all over the console
reaching for jabs mediums and fierces.

<small>[ May 12, 2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: rarehero ]</small>

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
The point SNK made about the 4 buttons was that they felt that medium punch's are useless and i totally agree when playing a 6 button game i steer clear of medium punch's i just don't find any use for them what so ever.....

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Funny enough, I'm a Capcom fighting fan and an SNK fighting fan. In actuality, I actually do better in Capcom games because they just seem simpler, even though KOF is probably my favorite fighters.

Never had any trouble adjusting when playing Match of the Millenium, with a scant 2 buttons. Heck, some of my best Guile combos came from the pocket version. The one thing disappointing about the CvsS1, in comparison, is that the pocket did a much better job of command move linkers. A big thing that made SNK's 4 button mechanics work in combinations. And in MOTM, those mechanics worked really well for the Capcom characters. That was very cool, because conditioning a few command moves to make the Capcom characters link like crazy was perfect training to learn how to play the SNK games better.

They did a really good job on move selection, for the buttons used, as well. Here's hoping a similar fate befalls this version.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
NeoDragoN:
The point SNK made about the 4 buttons was that they felt that medium punch's are useless
Then why did the Samurai Spirits series have medium slashes ?

Do you think they changed their minds for a period of time ?

Sickliquid86

Galford's Armourer
I love to roll but I guess punch and kick can be roll and punch and puch can fierce or whatever anyways as long as one can roll that is cool.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Capcom's medium punchs/kicks buttons are useless.

Period.

I have never needed more than 3 buttons on SF2CE tough.

A - Low Punch
B - High Punch
C - High Kick

Please give Capcom's chara's the KOF 4 Buttons layout. wink

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Atrophyed:
Capcom's medium punchs/kicks buttons are useless.

Period.

I have never needed more than 3 buttons on SF2CE tough.

A - Low Punch
B - High Punch
C - High Kick

Please give Capcom's chara's the KOF 4 Buttons layout. wink
That's te classic setup in a 3 button cabinet.
And I guess it's the most useful. Why medium hits?

<small>[ May 12, 2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Setsuna1982 ]</small>

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Capcom's mediums are not useless. If you do any kind of credible combo you need them. I can tell most people in this topic are notorious Jumping hardkick, crouchching hardkick combo users oh_no . Some of them are Anti Air, some have high priority(like adon's jumping medium kick) and charge characters like Rog need em for varying ranges, I with no mediums you can't do Guy's Final Fight combo at all. Its just as useful as weaks and hard. Not to mention if you are a V-ism user you are gonna need all of your buttons for certain VC combos but i guess ya'll wouldn't know that cuz i bet most of ya'll use freakin A-ism Shin Akuma.

Seriously guys, stop dusting off and polishing your collections for a second and go to practice mode. They'll still be mint when you get back :p

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
nruva:
I am going to sound like a scrub, but, I normally play with 4 buttons anyway. To be honest, I barely ever use medium attacks on Capcom brawlers, it is either light or heavy... so I am cool with it,

-Nick
lol, I'm the same about only using 4 buttons, but for me it's the light attacks. All of the controller settings on my PS and DC games are set so that the R1 R2 buttons (which are not as easy for me to hit as the buttons on the face of the controller) are the light attacks.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Medium attacks are useless? I'm guessing a lot of people don't perform many combos, especially in street fighter. Even the first basic combos included mediums, such as the jump HK, crouching MK, and Hadoken for shotos. Or linking a crouching MK into a tatsumakisenpukyaku (I do this a lot). Or Guile's jump MK, crouching MP, LK flash kick combo. These are just the basic combos too. It'd be funny as hell to play some of you who just stick with light/hard attacks.

I've clobbered people on XBL with just standing/crouching medium attacks (no combos) because they're too stupid to block. Hard attacks have too much lag if you whiff, and light attacks don't cause enough damage to warrant poking. Mediums are perfect for the recovery, damage, and combo ability. A lot of hard attacks can't be cancelled (at least with the ability of mediums) and can't knock your opponent down before you get the chance to get things going. Guile's crouching MK is a fucking godsend too.

Spin is right about the charge characters. You definitely need that middle range with a lot of their attacks. I couldn't imagine Vega without his crouching MK (the sliding HK is too risky and has to be timed perfectly). The people who play 4 buttons should really try their mediums more; it'll open a whole new world to you in your gaming life. But hey, if you have fun with what you do then who cares.

Like I said earlier, 4 buttons shouldn't be a problem. As long as they incorporate mediums into it then it's all good.

<small>[ May 12, 2003, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: SonGohan ]</small>

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Spoken like a true pimp :)

too bad i'm gonna have to beat your ass real good with Rog Wes.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
cvs1 was fine with only four buttons so....

sorry songohan but no rolls = me happy :)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You know i suck at fighting games, so this really wont bother me to much only being able to use 4 buttons with capcom characters. But i wonder if playmore does include medium punch/kicks and if so how will they do it control wise.

neo_ezekiel

I've been on this site for over 10 years.,
heay i didn't even thing of that. I thing I will like it better that way(2 button fierce) especially if it is ported to the consoles. as long as medium is kept :)

<small>[ May 12, 2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: neo_ezekiel ]</small>

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Then why did the Samurai Spirits series have medium slashes?
Because there's quite a large difference between the strength and speed of the attacks. Being stuck with only a really weak but super fast attack and a really strong but super slow attack would horribly imbalance the game, and thusly they needed middle attacks.

In Capcom games, there's no real need for middle attacks at all, aside from comboing or command moves (which could be just as easily applied to weak or strong attacks like they are in KOF).

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Personally I never understood why Street Fighter needed 6 buttons, particularly considering I rarely see people use more than 4.

KoF for example does pretty damn well IMO with 'only' 4 buttons, and the characters have about 3 times the number of moves that any Capcom character has with 6 buttons.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Thats ok I have a 6 button controller for my Neo anyway. !!!!
It's great for the SS games.

<small>[ May 13, 2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Tehcno ]</small>