If you were Directing SamSho5

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
How would you make the game?

For me, the game wouldn't be made on MVS hardware. I'd take Asura Zanmaden, which not that many of you have played, but was an excellent part of the SS series, and cel-shade it. Cel-shade it so that it would look like 2D, while being 3D. This way there wouldn't be a need for incredible amounts of manpower, drawing out all the frames of animation.

I'd try to bring in the following characters:

Haoh
Ukyo
Genj
Galf
Hanz
EQ
Gen-An
Shizu
Rimmy
Nak
Shiki
Asura
Hanma
Jubei
Seiger
Kyoshiro
Nicotine
Kazuki
Sougetsu
Taizan
Kuroko - as the ref.

One of the bosses could be yet another incarnation of Amakusa (as we know, Amakusa looked a lot different from SS1 to SS3 and 4. Why? He wasn't using Shinzo's body in 3 and 4. So, let's pretend he's using... I don't know, Zankuro's body. He'd be huge, and manly, but with long red hair and his crystal ball, and a sword. I think it could work. Thing is, he's just a puppet, reanimated and controlled by Yuga, who wouldn't be the real boss, but just a character in the story. It was shown in Warrior's Rage 2 that Yuga wasn't completely destroyed because she possessed Mikoto (thus giving her the dual personality).

Anyhow, we know the game is coming out, but nothing is known about it. Might as well speculate.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If it is in 3D, it woudl enable the developers to further differentiate the Bust and Slash versions of each character. They should be made to look distinct from one another. For instance, bust Haohmaru could be dressed in a thong or something. It would be cool.

I remember Wasabi showed me a video from 64/2 with Hanzo busting out some mad grapples. More of that.

Be able to chose two swords or just one for a lot of the characters...like it would be cool with Jubei and Haohmaru...change em around a bit.

Maybe even make bust and Slash options give each character a completely different style altogether instead of a variation.

Sound: Scored with live genuine instruments from the era.

Hardware. If 2d. keep it MVS...if 3d go with triforce.

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Hmmmm. I'd stick with MVS hardware first of all. A lot of folks are ready to throw in the towel on the tried and true Neo, but I personally think you can squeeze even more blood out of our favorite "24-bit" turnip.

I'd keep the art style and character design of part 3, however the sprites should get redrawn and shrank a bit to be about the size they were in 1 and 2, that way huge characters like Earthquake really look HUGE. Not only that, but it makes the backgrounds seem more encompassing, hence boosting the atmospheric elements. And every character should have their own background also.

The characters should consist of the main ones, naturally, with a triumphant return of Gen-an, Sieger, Wan-Fu, a part 1ish style Tam Tam, and a couple of the popular 64 ones. I also would like to see one of Earthquake's flunkies make the cut (imgine his moves and weapon on a faster, smaller guy). Call him Tremor or something.

I would definitely start fresh with a new boss, because Amakusa and Zankuro are a little tired, but would work fine as playable characters.

And for crying outloud, some bonus rounds would get thrown in too. Whatever happened to these nice little features from days of old?

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
I would like to see all the characters that appeared in the previous chapters of this game. Including Zankuro, who should be selectable from the beginning.

The characters from the Neo64 versions should be included too. The final boss should be someone new, and also some new characters should be included too, a traditional samurai looking character would be cool, or someone with a spear or a barbarian axe…

Yes they are too many, but may be they could include one of these new chips in the cart.

May be it would be a nice idea to show some age in some characters. I am thinking about Haomaru with beard for instance.

May be it would be nice too go a bit back to the original design of the characters, or make something like MOTW’s drawing style.

Well just dreaming a bit…

BTW: The idea of changing weapons is great

bokmeow

I definitely would like to see the return of a lot of fan favorites, as well as Kuroko. They never really fleshed out his story any further than they did in Samurai Shodown 2, when he made his first surprise appearance as a midboss that challenged you randomly.

Daisuke Jigen

R.I.P.,, Dear Friend,
I would not mind seeing the Ninja Masters-style option of having your weapon out, or putting it away for hand to hand combat.

The ability to break weapons.

Last Blade "D" button parrying/blow back.

No "supers". They don't belong in that type of game.

Multiple planes.

AOF size sprites.

Sprite scaling.

Diferent sprites for "Chivalry" and "Treachery" modes.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
I'd prefer the series to stay 2D (both in graphics and gameplay). I'm not anti-3D on everything (my favorite fighting game of all time is still Soul Calibur), but unless Playmore has the tools and programmers to make it something truly spectacular, I'd rather go the traditional route.

The mood is something that's still up in the air. I thought SS1 had the best overall atmosphere to the series; like how the characters jumped out to introduce themselves before the next match started, the cutscenes with Amakusa, and the characters' endquotes, to name a few. SS2 was goofy fun, and SS3 was refreshingly dark (I know that sounds off). SS4 seemed, at least to me, as though the developers tried too hard to reproduce the zany atmosphere of SS2 (who can forget Haohmaru's line: "This place reeks of evil! And gym socks!"). A little bit of comedy here and there is fine, but I'd prefer the story to be a bit more serious this time around.

I haven't played any of the H64 SS games yet, so I'm unfamiliar with the characters. Even though he's been in 3 of the 4 titles thus far (as a playable character), I really wouldn't mind facing Amakusa again. If it were up to me, I'd include him as a hidden final boss (similar to Kain in MotW). It'd be interesting to see what he could do with both sides of his person merged, as he was split into a "light half" and a "dark half" in SS4 (and presumably before).

Going back to the endquotes from SS1, though, got me to thinking about Galford. In the first title, he was portrayed as a competent and rather serious fighter, whereas he sort of spiraled into this "radical surfer dude" caricature in the later installments. I remember when I saw someone playing him in the arcades, he came off as blind; I mean, he had that two-fingered gesture towards his opponent (which, back then, I interpreted as focusing his attention to the match), had Poppy to accompany him (seeing-eye dog?), and his "Forgive me. I have power you can only dream of." quote left that impression on me. It might sound corny looking back at it, but why not change him a bit? Maybe he could be blind and Poppy could accompany him to the opponent pre-match, and then he could channel his power so he wouldn't need Poppy to help him fight/"see" during the match? I've entertained that thought ever since I found out he wasn't "blind" at all.

One issue that would have to be addressed is the uneven distribution of special moves. I think every character should have comparable amounts (compare Nakoruru and Hanzo's movelists to Ukyo or Haohmaru's). If anything, I'd tone down Nakoruru.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
A E S buttrock

Each new AES = another inch groth of my penis :o

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I'm gonna really get into this thread once I get back in a few hours but no time right now. Hopefully Playmore will read it and get some of my ideas cuz they are badass and Shodown ownZ plain and simple.

NM I see you said WOULDN'T be made for MVS hardware. Therefore my point is moot.

BRB

<small>[ May 03, 2003, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: FeelGood ]</small>

Rade K

20 Year Member
Shito:
A E S buttrock

Each new AES = another inch groth of my penis :o
With which AES release did this start to occur? No wonder you get young, beautiful women.