NEO DOOM

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
I know I posted this same topic about 6-12 months ago.

I WANT TO KNOW... is it possible for the NEO to run doom in the same framerate, and resolution as the PC? You know, most ports were slower... and did not run full screen.

Also, JUST LIKE riding hero has the little communications jack on top.. would it be possible to do the same with the neo doom?

I seriously am starting to drool at "Neo Doom" and I would love to see it.

Anyone else? Who would buy it? ESPECIALLY if you could hook AT LEAST 2 systems together for 4 player (I would like to see 8 player.. or even 32 player as the new mods for doom are).

DO you think there is a chance playmore would bite? Iam sure it would be cheap to do because the source code has been released... I know ID would want to cash in a bit.. but it wouldn't do so that much.

discuss...
just saying *neo doom* just makes me jump inside...
Neo doom... AH! did it again lol.

Thanks,
†B†V†

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
mmm

its quite dependent on raw cpu power, for computing the vectors and such I imagine,

the neo hasn't got a powerful cpu.

The sprite hardware would be quite useless I imagine..

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
there are a lot of sprites in doom... thats what A LOT of textures are based on (no necessarily the wall textures).... but I think the character tectures... and environment stuff.

†B†V†

tsumake

New Challenger
There was a version of DOOM for the SNES. I thinked it used the FX chip (I'm not sure) and it got mediocre framerates, but it ran. The Neo has a more horsepower than the SNES, plus a lot more room to hold textures, so I think with some tight and streamlined programming, you could get a version to run smoothly on the Neo. As has been said before, the Neo has been around so long developers know every nook and cranny of the system. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard. Hmmm, I smell homebrew...

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
no, I smell... trying to talk playmore into it lol... and doing a real release with the communications port. I'd pay $100 for it.

†B†V†

Spectre

Banned
Purely in a practical sense, what kind of arcade game would DOOM make? It would have to be a set number of lives per credit or set amount of game time per credit affair. The latter in particular would make it pretty crap imo.

Also consider controls. Forward, back, turn left, turn right. Button to hold for sidestep, shoot, weapon up, weapon down... can't remember if doom needs a use or jump command (just use?)...

It's a nice idea, but I'm just not sure it's really workable. I would be very suprised if Playmore developed something like this. It would certainly be a groundbreaker - to my knowledge an fps game has never been released in the arcades before.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
no jump in doom.

CD pad could be best used. In Original DOOM there is no mouse look (was added in Z-doom, same with the jump..etc).

SO that is how the jag and SNES...etc.. do their dooms.

The a and b could be strafe buttons (Left = a, right = b). C could be fire, D could be Change weapons (cycle up). SINCE Doom allows you to ahve the MOST CURRENT WEAPON SELECTED that you picked up (IE system of the best weapon is used. SO if the plasma rifle runs out, the next highest is the chain gun... if there is ammo).

Select could open doors... and do secrets.

It would and could work nicely. It wouldn't be that bad IMO.

I think it would be cool :D Especially the 4-8 player stuff lol.

†B†V†

SSS

neo retired
Who cares about Doom? The Super Spy is a superior game.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
SamuraiShodownSensei:
Who cares about Doom? The Super Spy is a superior game.
that was a sweet game too :D
I must admit many hours on that game!!
BUT... why not Spy Vs Spy?! or something like that. I just love doom :)

My fav. of all time.... perhaps :)

†B†V†

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Spectre:
Purely in a practical sense, what kind of arcade game would DOOM make? - to my knowledge an fps game has never been released in the arcades before.
actually there is one fps I've seen in the arcades, it's called the grid. and it's got a computer type joystick that it's played on. It's made by midway

8 1/2

Kuroko's Training Dummy
There's another FPS in the arcades call WAR. I think it was put out by Midway as it has that 3DFX look (like Hydro Thunder). The one near me has three cabs side by side. You use a trackball and a huge joystick that looks like something out of a flight sim. It's rather crappy, but it could be fun with 3 people I guess.

Still, I have to agree with the sentiment that, "Who cares about Doom?" A link up cart of Doom would be a nice novelty, but it's such an old game that I think you could just get a good PC port for free and play it as it was intended with a mouse and keyboard.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
8 1/2:
There's another FPS in the arcades call WAR. I think it was put out by Midway as it has that 3DFX look (like Hydro Thunder). The one near me has three cabs side by side. You use a trackball and a huge joystick that looks like something out of a flight sim. It's rather crappy, but it could be fun with 3 people I guess.

Still, I have to agree with the sentiment that, "Who cares about Doom?" A link up cart of Doom would be a nice novelty, but it's such an old game that I think you could just get a good PC port for free and play it as it was intended with a mouse and keyboard.
AH HA! I was trying to remember that game!

that was actually really fun lol :)

I don't remember a trackball on ours though. There was the 2 buttons and the Joystick with 2 buttons for firing and disarming.

†B†V†

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I think the Neo could do it. If the SNES can and the Jaguar can than with some excellent programming than the Neo can.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Why?? If I want to play Doom, I'll download it and play it with a mouse and keboard...for free! It's shareware now.

There is absolutely no motivation for anyone to produce this game.

Not worth it from any way I try to look at.

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
Doom runs in polygons, the levels them selfs. can the neo even produce polys? Sure the 2d sprites and stuff, but what about the polys? The snes could cause of the super fx chip and jag could do them from the get go. Im not much of a programer but is this even possible?

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
tsumake:
There was a version of DOOM for the SNES. I thinked it used the FX chip (I'm not sure) and it got mediocre framerates, but it ran. The Neo has a more horsepower than the SNES, plus a lot more room to hold textures, so I think with some tight and streamlined programming, you could get a version to run smoothly on the Neo. As has been said before, the Neo has been around so long developers know every nook and cranny of the system. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard. Hmmm, I smell homebrew...
Even if it could be done. The thing is, the Neo has NO hardware 3D acceleration. And becuase of that, the game wouldn't look any better than the original PC version, as I'm not even talking about running it at 640 x 480 as you can with Doom 95 - this would be comparable to the original, LOW (300-something by 200-something) resolution that the original DOS version used. Therefore, there would be nothing special about it, and it wouldn't have a chance in hell of succeeding.

Herzog Drei

Ace Ghost Pilot
I would have killed to see SUPER SPY with a real 3d-Engine. :(
But without sort of an FX-chip,there is no way for DOOM.
Even the first GBA-Game was rather choppy.
Considering the great job done on that (simplified) DUKE NUKEM for the Genesis,something like WOLFENSTEIN should be possible on the NEO.
But certainly nothing with stairs...

pyrokilla

Vice's grappling partner...naked,
You guys are crazy, there is no 3d in doom! it is all sprites and vectors! Neo hardware could so handle this! however I would not buy it unless it has extra fames of neo 2d goodness!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Herzog Drei:
I would have killed to see SUPER SPY with a real 3d-Engine. :(
But without sort of an FX-chip,there is no way for DOOM. [...]
Hmmm... the Genesis (which has similar hardware) got Zero Tolerance, a nice ego shooter that doesn't need any co-procs in the cart IIRC, and if it's possible on the Genny, it's also possible on the Neo I guess.

robert-gamble

Armored Scrum Object
The Neo could easily do a simple raycasting engine (Wolfenstien, etc), could perhaps even use it's hardware point sprites to render the wall slices.

I'm not sure how many point sprites the Neo hardware can do, but if it can do 1 per horizontal pixel or 1 per 2 horizontal pixels then a raycaster is definitely doable, and would probably be pretty speedy.

DOOM on NEO would fail miserably. Doom is a piece of art yes but it is 10 years old. With DOOM 3 coming out sometime soon, my question is, WHY? And on a game system like the NEO who's primary fanbase is either Japanese or people who highly respect, admire, and love Japanese art, why have a American-coded game on a (don't deny it!)Japanese-based system? It won't work.

For NEO to survive, it must have unique titles for it. You don't please new fans by releasing old shit. Even if you did a brand new game with a DOOM-ish engine, with anime characters, really how would it fare without mouselook? Everyone I know uses the mouse to look around, its perfect for that.

The only possible application to a 3-D raster based game the NEO could do in my opinion is an RPG or a linear/or nonlinear followup to Super Spy or better yet, Crossed Swords, say release Crossed Swords 2 on cart? HELLO Playmore?

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
why? its not for profit......

ITS JUST FOR FUN :D

I just think it would be cool :) thats all.

†B†V†