KOF2k Appreciation Thread

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
I swear I just cant' get over how damn good and perhaps undereated this game is, especially among the "KOF Eliete" that exist here.

I've been on my late night KOF binges lately (a good half an hour to hour of play before bed at about 2AM) and I've been going through most of em and I gotta say KOF2k is just too damn fine a game to not get the appreciation it deserves.

YES its very different from the classic KOF that everyone here just orgasms over (KOF96-98) because of the Strikers and much faster gameplay and combo's, but god damn its a good game. Plus the amount of characters it has is also quite impressive and it encorporates so much from both the NESTS and Orochi lines that I can't say I'm not happy with the character line up.

Plus it also offers a nice balance between the over powered KOF98 to the toned down (read balanced) versions of classic characters in KOF2k1-2k2.

Plus the extra strikers that are in there are just straight up fan service that I just enjoy to watch. I mean I'm not heavy on the strikers, I use em mostly for defense if I'm getting pressured not for those insane combo's that you see in videos on the net. But if I have a fan service striker then I'll definitely pull em out more during a match because its just damn fun to do.

And I don't want to hear anything about the Music and BG's. I find the BG's to be quite good, with minute details in em that you really can apprecaite if you actually sit there and look at em. And the music? Its different from the Orochi music, but it damn well isn't inferior (like a port). Hell the KOF2k AST beats the living shit out of the 98 AST any day of the week any time. Plus while characters were toned down a bit from their 98 versions, other characters got a nice little bump. Andy is a good example, I mean post 98 Andy just rocks, but my favorite KOF2k character has GOT to be King. She's just a monster in that game with her moves, priority, and speed. I mean if I have KOF2k and I can put you in the corner with King, your ass isn't getting out of there unless I want you out because I either don't want to be extra cheap or because I want to have a more interesting match.

This isn't to say the game doesn't have its faults, but god damn it has so much to offer that I hate to see it not get the respect it deserves around here.

*goes back to listening to the KOF2k AST* buttrock

<small>[ April 30, 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: JHendrix ]</small>

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
yes
after 2001 and 2002
my love for 2000 has been steadily growing

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
KoF2000 is the shit.

Who ever said it sucked?

I will virtually punch them right now.

: :punch: :

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Hell yes!

2000 is the best ever imo. I could write an entire thesis on it, but I'll spare everyone my writing skillz.

Figure in the characters/huge # of strikers/ dazzling bgs/ and insane combo madness and you have the best kof ever.

I waited 6 months for a jpn copy to surface for a decent price (thanks endgamer) and I only regret not getting it sooner.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You know, KOF2k is a good game, but compared to other KOFs it falls short. That is why people say it sucks.

There is a lot ot like here though. It's not my fav, but it definitely has one of the best KOF soundtracks ever. Graphics are great, art is good, awesome endings. Great staff roll music too btw.

Before I got this game (and sold it) a lot of people said that the music was techno trash. I dont understand that at all. Techno trash is 2k1.

Kudos to 2K! Warm vaginas all around.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Where the hell are all the replies? spock

Show your kof2000 love!

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I think the combination of 3 strikers to start with as well as being able to call strikers whenever is what made 2000 the great game it is. It's the only KOF where, from the start of round 1, you can pull some of the flashiest and nastiest combos possible, without having to charge up or build your meter.

That having been said, BG's needed some work and some of the counter mode infinites (LIN) were a bit too easy to pull.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
i can see all the love you guys have for kof2k and im not gonna go against that...

im a different type of gamer... music and the rest means little to me the gameplay of kof2k however i dont like.. the strikers are way to broken with super huge combos possible breaking the game a bit for challenging....

but i just realized this is a kof appreciation thread so plz ignore these comments if they get in the way :)

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Probably the only reason some people dont like it is because alot of combo's are striker reliant.

I for one actually like 2K on that level, it had a bitching st, kick ass anouncer, and endless aray of edit combo's. Its really its own game, cause it broke away from the typical KOF idea a bit.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
o wow.
didnt see this.
i ve talked about this.
its a great game.
its not perfect.
but shit. you look at the whole series.
you can pick pieces of shit wrong with everyone.
anyways. i like it.
its what 99 should have been in terms of play.
people dont like the strikers. and they say it
lends itself to a more mavel vs cap feeling.
well yea it does. but i think it adds more interest
to the game really.
anyways. id just be repeating what people just said here if i went on.
happiness is getting the best arranged from 94~00
and hearing the intros music for the first time.
and then again x20
the end credit/demo music is great.
and so is the presentation.
its in my top 5 kofs.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
King of Fighters 2000 is my favourite in the series, Jhun Hoon is in it, the backgrounds are mostly very good and i loved the ice-over effect SNK added to them when you fight Kula. The striker system makes things interesting in my opinion, and you can turn them off if you don't like them. Nice to see so many old characters in the KoF style, like King Lion and co.

The arrange soundtrack on the DC version is my favourite KoF s/t by far, every track is excellent , inlcuding Goobye Esaka (Kyo) and Wild Party (Korea Team) , AoF and Ikari team have great music as well.

The character art is also my favourite in the series, the select screen is very pretty, the in-game avatars are the best and the win screen art is also of a consistantly high standard. The endings are all very nice looking as well, which is why KoF2k1 looks like such an eyesore coming after the brilliant looks of this game.

Another thing, the boss battle is great, i love the church background with the psycho colors and falling chandelier. Top stuff all round.

Glad more people are seeing it for the great game it is.

rarehero

20 Year Member
yea. and thats another good point.
since i play solo at home alot
i play 96 and 2000 the most.
just to see the endings.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Jhun is one of my faves and is almost always on my roster. He fucking rules in 2k. The only thing I dont like is that they slowed down his standing CD, which in 99 was almost cheesey cause it was instant.

Iori and Kyo COMPLETELY rule KOF 2K.
The seth set ups, king cheese.. I love 2k.
I mean sure its not highly respected, but it is its own game.

I like each and every KOF in different ways. (Yes even KOF 2K2)

KOF 94 for bringing in rugal to the scene, who was a combo of Geese and Krauser.

KOF 95 for really getting the series on its toes.
This game had the most bitching characters, Billy had his mod punk psuedo look, Eiji was in it. (He kicks major ass in 95)
And combo's can fuck a single char. I've seen and read faq's and whatnot.

KOF 96 for its perfect music/bg's and the farken boss team!

KOF 97 (creds to nbm, cause he hit this on the nail) FOR COMBOS! This game introduced a tried and true combo system, as opposed to KOF 96, there were some heavy links in 97, and KOF 96 had many limits combo wise.

KOF 98 for taking the elements of the past and putting together a slick looking crew of chars, doing a good debugging job, (some remain, check remu's site)
KOF 98 is seen as the best because it played the pinnacle role of all KOF's.

KOF 99 for its environments, and the fact it was a good AND SEPERATE GAME FROM 98. We all knew when we got deep into 98 "This is it", but I was freshly surprised, and this game introduced Jhun, definately one of my all time faves, later to have a half brother named Fou Lu on cap's bof iv roster wink

KOF 2000
Here is the controversy, many fans got turned off to KOF through 2K. Cause 2K is somewhat mashy, and if you really work with a char then you can put some evil together. I'm one of the rare few who doesnt have such a random selection, the striker I use mostly is another Iori.
My best character in KOF 2K is Kyo, which is funny, because in 98 it is either Chris or Yashiro. I never become reliant on Kyo, but 2K is a much different world.

KOF 2001
Igniz was introduced with a cape/cloak that made gamers shit there pants. (I still have that preview vid of K9999 getting his ass handed to him)
Unfortunatly KOF 2K1 had the lamest music choice, this was a turn off for me as well, because unlike others the music is kinda inspirational, and makes you feel at home with the 'class' of KOF.

KOF 2002
The cancel mode is the biggest flaw of 2K2.
We've seen the vids and believe me, alot of those cancels are extremely easy to do.
The problem is with chars like Yama, and we've seen the vids, there is mor then enough time to rape somone, time is a nice hold back though once the first cancel comes out, cause it brings the meter down quicker.

Kim gets remade into a god in 2k2. Regains some style from his ffs days, I wish for others I could say the same.
HSDM's appear, and mostly useless to me, and I dont know about you guys. HSDM'S seem so unneeded, it was like they needed something to make up for certain elements they went lazy on.

rarehero

20 Year Member
Lord Wolfgang Krauser:
Jhun is one of my faves and is almost always on my roster. He fucking rules in 2k. The only thing I dont like is that they slowed down his standing CD, which in 99 was almost cheesey cause it was instant.
talking about CDs i think the best CD in the world
is the one takuma has had since 2000.
the lunging kick.
god he looks so funny.
and it has range too.
winning with his CD is a great and fun feat.

<small>[ May 01, 2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: rarehero ]</small>

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
good post krauzer :)

i liked 97 a lot myself for its combos (most of which were actually bugs from what i read)

my favourite was roberts command throw->whiffed crouching heavy kick cancelled into his rush super.

the terry shoulder charge special move was crazy too with its ability to juggle big time and its use as an infinite..

:)

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
beelzebubble:
good post krauzer :)

i liked 97 a lot myself for its combos (most of which were actually bugs from what i read)

my favourite was roberts command throw->whiffed crouching heavy kick cancelled into his rush super.

the terry shoulder charge special move was crazy too with its ability to juggle big time and its use as an infinite..

:)
I liked that Kyo "task over !!"
I saw bugs of it but couldnt get it to work :(
I probably could if I had a stick or my cab was up and running though.
Your a hella cool guy that really knows his kof, my respect to you.