No Neo Geo At The Local Arcade - Depressing...

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
I happened by the local arcade, the one in the mall called Mind Boggle or something like that, while I was having a tire patched up toda.

What a depressing sight. Probably over 50% of the games were of the game gun variety, followed by a bunch of sit down driving games. There was the odd re-release of Ms. Pac-Man/Galaxian. As far as fighters go there were a few. Virtua Fighter 4, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Sega's Rival Schools and that was about it. Virtual Tennis was on display as was a 1998'ish Sega Baseball title. 3 pinball games were available, a basketball shooting game, a punching game, a "win a cell phone" gambling type of game and a dance game rounded out the "entertainment." Nothing Neo Geo related at all. I did not spend a dime (not that you could) at that place.

All of this was so bad that I wandered into the Waldenbooks and purchased a book to read.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Sounds like you have a fairly well rounded arcade game selection there. The arcade at our mall here in Springfield is GONE.

Be glad you have ANY arcade games near where you live...they are a dying breed.

Jon

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
on the flipside , there is a NEW arcade near my house called Flippers ...and I was happily suprised to see both alternate variations of the Hyper Neo Geo 64 cabs :

The shooting cab ...had Beast Buster 64 in it

The Driving cab ....had Roads edge in it .

I played both just because I felt it was my duty .

George

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
Tiptonium:
I happened by the local arcade, the one in the mall called Mind Boggle or something like that, while I was having a tire patched up toda.

What a depressing sight. Probably over 50% of the games were of the game gun variety, followed by a bunch of sit down driving games. There was the odd re-release of Ms. Pac-Man/Galaxian. As far as fighters go there were a few. Virtua Fighter 4, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Sega's Rival Schools and that was about it. Virtual Tennis was on display as was a 1998'ish Sega Baseball title. 3 pinball games were available, a basketball shooting game, a punching game, a "win a cell phone" gambling type of game and a dance game rounded out the "entertainment." Nothing Neo Geo related at all. I did not spend a dime (not that you could) at that place.

All of this was so bad that I wandered into the Waldenbooks and purchased a book to read.
Your story made me leave my office and peek in on my Neo console, just to tuck it in for the night and give it a good night kiss. I know someday it will be time for us to part, but until then, I will savor these precious moments we have together.

Underdog

Camel Slug
The only Neo cab I ever saw in my local arcade was Metal Slug 4. It was gone when I went again in about two weeks.

They also got rid of X-Men vs Street Fighter, my favorite in the Marvel VS series.

Most of the games are lightgun and driving, with the occasional shmup (not often) or fighter (usually they get the Tekkens and Virtua Fighters though, I haven't seen a 2d fighter outside of XMvsSF).

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Booyah, my local comic bookstore near where I live have had two 2-slot MVS for as long as I can remember, and regularly rotates the games in the slot. Right now sitting in the slots are Blazing Star and Metal Slug X in the one, Garou: Mark of the Wolves and Shock Troopers 2nd Squad in the other. buttrock

ST-V

For Neo Geo by me, it's pretty much the same thing, very slim pickings (although if you do see a Neo dedicated, most likely it's playing BAM/PB, which I don't mind playing anyway :) ). And even if the local ops do carry some different MVS selection, usually it's on the worst goddamn cab they can find; burn-in or complete discoloration on the monitor, busted joystick, and a button layout that would make Briggs proud wink

What pisses me off is that big arcade/restaurant chains like Dave n Busters have virtually no 2D games at all. OOOO they have Pacman for the virtue of having Pacman.

Gimme a break...

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
You know what's more depressing?

Seeing the completely totaled 4-Slot sitting in your local bowling alley all covered in cigarette burns, paint scrapes, scratched up screen, and the same four games since 1990.

It gets plenty of attention, but it looks like it needs to be put down frown

Blaster Keaton

Marked Wolf
Tiptonium:

Mindboggle at Southpark Mall is my local arcade. It sucks. I don't go there anymore, there ain't no stools for people to play fighting games on, and there hasn't been Neo Geo in there for a few years. I used to play Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and now I've officially retired playing it there because anyone who plays it are button mashing scrubs. So has Fun Company at Chesterfield Town Center, things haven't been the same without the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 machine, particularly me and the really good players used to practice there alot. I hear rumors now that Fun Company's going to try to import the Guilty Gear XX arcade cabinet from Japan. Oh and I'm from Prince George, yup a tri-cities Neo gamer. Wait a minnit, have I seen you before at the Gamestop across the street from Chesterfield Town Center?

<small>[ April 29, 2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Blaster Keaton ]</small>

Freelancer

Banned
Well, the only arcade in my area has nothing but those crappy Cruisin USA/World games and shitty Marvel Vs. Capcom fighters, as well as a 20 client LAN gaming center.

I long for the early 1990's when the Neo MVS first hit the scene... crying

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Average Joe:
You know what's more depressing?

Seeing the completely totaled 4-Slot sitting in your local bowling alley all covered in cigarette burns, paint scrapes, scratched up screen, and the same four games since 1990.

It gets plenty of attention, but it looks like it needs to be put down :(
I see someone has a good idea, you should probably buy it and shop it out, make it your own arcade.

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
Well I am actually quite fortunate in that I live right near Sydney's best arcade. Good old Tommmy-san regulary rotates the MVS carts in his machines.
At the moment he has many games up and running that tickle my fancy. These include:

KING OF FIGHTERS 2002
KING OF FIGHTERS 2001
KING OF FIGHTERS 1998
METAL SLUG X
CAPCOM VS SNK
STREET FIGHTER 3-3rd Strike
STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3
MARVEL VS CAPCOM
STRIKERS 1945
RAIDEN FIGHTERS
SUPER PUZZLE FIGHTER 2 TURBO

..he also regualry rotates the KOF series upon request with KOF97 and KOF99.

He also has SOUL CALIBER 2 and a few other fighting games that dont interest me in the slightest.

...compared to the lineups Iv'e been hearing I seem to pretty lucky.

Although this is the ONLY place in Sydney bar GALAXY WORLD that has KOF 2002...(I think?)

.....you are a LEGEND Tommy!!

<small>[ April 30, 2003, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: Kusanagi-sama' ]</small>

MarrymeMai

Frenzy Football Player
Everytime I go to the mall, I always check the arcade for an MVS. There hasn't been one there in years, though, and I know I'm only kidding myself. Went there yesterday, and it was very depressing. Played House of the Dead 2, just to help keep the ARCADE alive. That place was a childhood staple for me; used to draw crowds around the MVS when I played KOF '94. (I sound like Al Bundy, I know! wink )

The last time that place had real life in it IMO was for the short time they had The Grid (last year), which was pulled because some idiot parent probably bitched. They made a killing (har, har) with that setup!

<small>[ April 30, 2003, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: MarrymeMai ]</small>

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
There is no arcade near my place except 20-min drive to GameWork at Grapevine Mall.

Games they have (not impressive at all):

2 House of the Dead 2
1 House of the Dead 3
1 Time Crisis 2
1 Sega shooting game (forgot the name)
1 Namco Tank game (Tokyo something....)
2 Sega Star Wars
1 18-wheeler
1 Crazy Taxi
2 Tekken 4
1 Tekken Tag
1 Capcom vs Marvel
1 Street Fighter III 3rd
1 Sega Fishing
1 Sega Firefighter
2 DDR Max
1 Namco Alphin
and some other driving games I can't remember......

I rarely go to arcade because it's no fun anymore.
I'd rather stay home and play my home consoles....

I miss those good old days at Diversions....
Putting quarters into Street Fighter II Turbo and SNK games....... frown