If SNK vs Capcom was released today... would you be happy?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
OK, just a thought here folks. We are currently up to 16 characters, 8 SNK and 8 Capcom. Basically, the same as any other CPS2 game (16 seems to be the magical number up to SFA3). So, my question for you all is this.

Would you rather have the 16 characters that are currently being shown, plus LB2 style backgrounds and animation... or would you rather they cram in another 16, reduce the backgrounds and animation to say a KOF2002 quality.

I am a little torn on this. Obviously I want the best game possible, but I am not sure if I want more characters or just really amazing backgrounds and animation! Since we know there is a limit to this stuff, and we have seen what SNK can do with the space (and what Playmore can do for that matter), where do you stand? Are you happy enough with the current group of fighters? Or... do you think that it wouldn't matter either way and we would get the same animation and backgrounds regardless...

-Nick

KOF_FANATIK

Astra Superstar
if they left it alone we would basically be playing CvS2 again i want a ton more peeps! kof 2002 isn't that bad just dependes if your moniter is really nice lookin! :) but i would like at least 24 then try to have LB :) 2 graphics!

<small>[ April 24, 2003, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: KOF_FANATIK ]</small>

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
personally, 16 to 20 should really be enough. playmore really need a whole new REVAMP from the ground up. sadly (KoF2001 and KoF2002) they end up SAC'ing too much and concentrating on another (gameplay engine and character roster) they end up losing a balance on the process.

if playmore release this with just those current roster but completely blow us away with the content, i am willing to bet demand would be high enough to warrant sequels for another set of character roster to get included. this should be a whole new series for them to milk on. all they need is to edge on something really unique for this game that would somehow set this apart from the rest of REHASH city! :o

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
If the game were to be released now I would feel deeply disappointed, just 16 characters?, once I have plaid many more in CvsSNK 1 and 2? NO WAY

If things cannot be done properly it is better to not do them. I expect a proper sequel for this fighting series. I want top animation, a lot of characters, top graphics and top music, if the Neo system cannot hold this better not use it for this game.

<small>[ April 24, 2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Pep ]</small>

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
I would like to see another 14-16 characters, bringing the total to 30-32. They don't need to make the backgrounds detailed, just make them look nice and have a good variety. As for music, they really don't need too many tracks as long as whatever they have fits with the game nice.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Pep:
If the game were to be released now I would feel deeply disappointed, just 16 characters?, once I have plaid many more in CvsSNK 1 and 2? NO WAY

If things cannot be done properly it is better to not do them. I expect a proper sequel for this fighting series. I want top animation, a lot of characters, top graphics and top music, if the Neo system cannot hold this better not use it for this game.
But see, that is rediculous, because there is no way the machine can eek the same sort of roster and graphics as the Naomi. Sure, Capcom did a cut and paste job that was pretty ugly on CvS and CvS2, but there is no way we could get that same amount of characters on the Neo with the space constraints... And the backgrounds, even in 2d, couldn't be as detailed.

I think I am leaning closer to buttasuperb, double the current amount of characters and throw in medium quality backgrounds and etc. Since, I don't think I am sold on this 16. I mean they are cool, but... really, they don't blow me away. Then again, it is interesting to see who may be coming next,

-Nick

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Sorry but I insist, if they cannot keep up the standards of the previous ones, just go with pure SNK games, like Samurai 5, metal Slug 5 or others. Why to make another sequel of a franchise if you cannot do it as good as the previous ones? You know that the new sequel will be compared with its predecessors…

I do not need another SNK vs Capcom game if it is not better than the others, and I do not think that his is ridiculous.

However I think that If the potential of the machine is exploited to its best and they try to make the game feel like an SNK game we will get a great game.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
Personally, I would prefer keeping the character count low, and focus on the backgrounds and animation.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Pep:
Sorry but I insist, if they cannot keep up the standards of the previous ones, just go with pure SNK games, like Samurai 5, metal Slug 5 or others. Why to make another sequel of a franchise if you cannot do it as good as the previous ones? You know that the new sequel will be compared with its predecessors…

I do not need another SNK vs Capcom game if it is not better than the others, and I do not think that his is ridiculous.

However I think that If the potential of the machine is exploited to its best and they try to make the game feel like an SNK game we will get a great game.
Well, I can understand your argument, and it makes sense. I see it as a whole new game, and not related to Capcom vs SNK. However, that is not how a lot of people will take it, and it will be compared and rediculed. I think we could get a classic game out of this... i.e. a real hardcore 2d fighting game, not the cut and paste job of CvS. But, no matter what, I don't see how people are going to look at it and say it is better than the Naomi version if it is going to have to live as a sequel.

Really, everyone says MOTW is beautiful. I like the animation, but really the art style is so... blahh to me. I think LB and LB2 are the true SNK masterpieces, and same with AOF3, and RBFF2.... They had colorful, detailed, and well animated characters and backgrounds. Sure, they weren't perfect, but they are gorgeous to look at. When I look at those games, I realize we have to keep the roster down in order to achieve that level of quality. Maybe I am wrong, and maybe Playmore has found a trick to eek more out of the system. From what they have shown us already, however, via the two KOFs is that they don't have a lot of tricks up their sleeves.

I am still hoping for the best... and there are still a few characters I want to see (Gallon in human form mostly!)... oh well,

-Nick

slerch666

updyke,
I think I would prefer LB2 style BGs and animation over the KOF 2K2 style animation and BGs. I really like KOF but because there are too many characters to choose from, the graphics suffer. I think 2K1 was the low point for graphic quality in the KOF series.

Anyway, whether it uses the LB2 style or KOF style, as long as the game doesn't suck big ass I'll be happy. Not sure they should have thrown Choi in there though...

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
While I like the roster so far, if 16 characters is the best Playmore can do I won't even consider buying it. Period.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I like good BG's and music as much as the next person, but I'd hate the game if it was released today. The character list now is a pointless retread of CVS except for Hugo, Earthquake, Tabasa, and Shiki.

The Last Blade, Real Bout, Darkstalkers, SFA series, Ikari team, and all KOF's after 1998 are all unrepresented. My feelings are now that we have the mandatory boring-ass characters, it's time to add another 10 truly exciting and unusual chars.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I wan't at least KOF '96 calibur graphics and I am not happy with the roster as it stands. Sure I could be happy with a 20 count roster but the current one would have to be edited so only the cream of the crop get in (and I think AT LEAST 6 of the 20 should be never before seen in a VS game). Already there are some wasteful characters on there in my eyes which basically leaches resources from the rest of the game. Choi? Gouki? Fuck that.

So yeah, give us 30 characters, 15 from each side (including two boses) and some slick ass animation and BGs. Good music too. That's not too much to ask I think. :D

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
If the roster continues the grow, there is inevitably going to be compromise somewhere. Maybe instead of each character having their own theme, maybe each stage will have its own unique theme instead. That might not be a terrible compromise, but in that case you can probably be sure that there won't be a soundtrack CD for this title.

leepantalone:
Personally, I would prefer keeping the character count low, and focus on the backgrounds and animation.
I agree 100%. You took the words right out of my mouth. Quality vs quantity. But Playmore can always do both right?

corbo 2

Genjuro's Frog
I think I would prefer LB2 style BGs and animation over the KOF 2K2 style animation and BGs. I really like KOF but because there are too many characters to choose from, the graphics suffer. I think 2K1 was the low point for graphic quality in the KOF series.

Anyway, whether it uses the LB2 style or KOF style, as long as the game doesn't suck big ass I'll be happy. Not sure they should have thrown Choi in there though...
I would rather how a low amount of characters,like they have done now.And have nice BG and animation.I completly agree with slerch666 on this

slerch666

updyke,
takuman:
why no all one special cart 1500 megs and
Quality and quantity
There has never been a cartridge that large, so there isn't any way to know if one can be built that would take that much. I thought it was figured out that the largest possible cart was something in the 900 Meg range? Even with 900 Megs I doubt they could pull off a ridiculous amount of characters and retain the quality.

It'd be nice but it would never happen.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
takuman:
why no all one special cart 1500 megs and
Quality and quantity
The current restrictions have the hardware maxed out. Major design would need to come into play, as well as new chips and new pcbs which could take months or more to finish. And, even then, the results would be marginal at best. The older CPU can not handle roms over a certain size due to address and memory restraints. Oh well, it is a novel thought, but I don't think it is possible at the current time. The only thing we could hope for would be cartridge add ons like the old SNES and Genesis chips to help with processing... who knows... hehe... but, I am pretty sure we will just see a 700 Mbit cart or so

-Nick

Setsuna1982

World Her,
nruva:
or would you rather they cram in another 16, reduce the backgrounds and animation to say a KOF2002 quality.
With 32 characters you have FAR better quality than kof2002. Kof99 was around 36 and looked beatifully.

I still vote for a cast similar to kof96's because you have the perfect balance between big rooster AND Last Blade quality. Remember the size of kof96: 300megs and was great... now imagine kof96 with 700megs... perhaps that could be even better than Last Blade (althoug not as fine as garou... but impressive nonetheless)

Zeekade Zarathos

Krizalids Fashion Designer
Another 16.

Hell, I would like 50 characters and ZERO backgrounds. Just a big white space would be fine and dandy with me if I could play more crazy dream matches. But that's me...

The character roster as is, would be disappointing. I think the shotos and Chun-Li for Capcom and Kyo, Iori, Ryo, and Terry for SNK are absolutely needed, and the rest should differ as much as possible from CvS2. 8 added to the already necessary 8 wouldn't warrant a purchase. So far, I like their decisions. The only thing I would definitely change is Choi. With limited space, why on Earth toss him in? Dhalsim is iffy, but he's one that really depends on the rest of the roster to decide if his place is warranted...if he's unique enough.

Backgrounds are great and all, but I like my character list nice and huge.

ocsmod

Astra Superstar
12 SNK fighters + 12 Capcom fighters + 1 SNK boss + 1 Camcom boss + smooth animation (something between ROTD and MOTW) + beautiful backgrounds (KOF96-LB like) + quality music = the perfect SVC in my opinion.

slerch666

updyke,
I just got a good look at the roster for SvC: Chaos... I gotta sat I may skip out on this one. Why not call it KOF Vs Street Fighter? I realize Earthquake, Shiki and Tabasa aren't KOF or SF, respectively, but everyone else is from either series. For the KOF characters, they may not have originated in KOF, but they are in the KOF games. Of course, you look at the previous rosters for C Vs S and I guess it was no different then either... oh well.

What I was hoping for, honestly, was something like Marvel Vs Capcom where they put in off the wall characters, like Mega Man, with "normal" SF characters like Ryu. Maybe next time...

Freakit

Host for Orochi
I just got a good look at the roster for SvC: Chaos... I gotta sat I may skip out on this one. Why not call it KOF Vs Street Fighter? I realize Earthquake, Shiki and Tabasa aren't KOF or SF, respectively, but everyone else is from either series. For the KOF characters, they may not have originated in KOF, but they are in the KOF games. Of course, you look at the previous rosters for C Vs S and I guess it was no different then either... oh well.

What I was hoping for, honestly, was something like Marvel Vs Capcom where they put in off the wall characters, like Mega Man, with "normal" SF characters like Ryu. Maybe next time...
I agree 100% with that. not saying that I don't like the characters, just that there should have been much more variety. oh_no

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
slerch666:

See, I'm probably one of the minority who actually wanted SNK to do "King of Fighter vs. Street Fighter" without any off the wall characters in it. When I first heard about Capcom and SNK teaming up a few years back, I figured Capcom would make Capcom vs. SNK the wild over the top game with characters from every nook and cranny of each universe much in the vein of the MvC game with zany supers, those damn super jumps, and tag style. What I had hoped SNK would do would be the SOLID fighter with strictly charas from SF/SFA/Final Fight/Rival Schools from Capcom and AoF/FF/KOF from SNK and the matches be ratio or 3-on-3.

If the game were released now I'd still pick up but I wouldn't be as enthused or as hyped as I originally was for this. Overall I like the character choices save for a couple but since this game isn't going to be what I wanted then I'm hoping they'll go super freakin crazy and just add totally off the wall people like Jin Saotome, Jill Valentine, Victor, Bao (kidding!), Magician Lord, etc. I'm hoping they'll add about 14 more characters to bring the count up to at least 30.