Money Puzzle Exchanger Conversion Project - Details, Insert, More!

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Hello Everyone,

This project involves converting a Money Puzzle (Idol) Exchanger MVS cartridge to NGH format. The sacrifice cartridge used for this conversion is a World Heroes 2 Jet home cartridge. There seems to be an abundant and cheap supply of this cartridge, especially the Japanese version! I was able to find a well used Japanese Money Idol Exchange loose MVS cartridge for the project that had long ago been orphaned. The poor fellow did not have a serial number, all identity had been lost. Fortunately, the chips were real!

When I first started the conversion, I neglected to do the proper research. After building the conversion I quickly realized that the V ROM used on the Money Puzzle Exchanger was 32 meg. World Heroes 2 Jet expects 16 MEG V ROMS. Very easy to tell after the fact… screwed up sound effects… Doh! I did a quick swap of the PROG board to one that supports 32 MEG ROMS and the sound effects from the V ROM worked perfectly. But I wanted to use the PROG board from the World Heroes 2 Jet since I heard rumors in the world of Neo Geo where such things are dared mentioned or discussed that it was indeed possible… What to do? Read on!

**** WARNING **** This is not a simple chip swap/jumper conversion. No traces were harmed in the process of this conversion. A wire was used! What?!?! Yep, a piece of genuine wire.

The Details:

Remove the V, P, S, M, and C chips from the Sacrifice NGH boards.

Remove the V, P, S, M and C chips from the Money Puzzle Exchanger MVS cartridge. Place them in their corresponding locations on the sacrifice NGH boards with the exception of the V1 CHIP. Do not solder that one on yet!!!!!

Voodoo Conversion 101:

I contacted a fellow that goes by handle HPMAN on the neo-geo.com forums. He is a person that knows a great deal about the internals relating to the technical architecture used in Neo Geo game cartridges. What follows is a bit of HPMAN conversion magic that will allow the game to address the entire 32 MEG V ROM. This particular magic works because there is only one V ROM used in the game. Are you still here? Ok, here it is…

World Heroes 2 Jet Sacrificial PROG Printed Circuit Board Modification:

Remove the LS139 chip from the PROG PCB. What is an LS139? Basically, this is a decoder/demultiplexor chip. Need more? Use Google.com

Remove jumper blocks 16 and 17.

Before soldering the V1 chip to the sacrificial PCB bend PIN 32 so that it sticks out horizontally. The V1 chip has 42 PINS. Look at the PCB closely. You will note that pin 1’s location is labeled on the board as is PIN 21, 22 and 42. Finding PIN 32 should not be too hard to find. ;)

We’ll need to connect the V ROM PIN 32 to the PCM PIN 77 somehow. The easiest way to do this is to solder a wire to PIN 32 and then solder the other end of the wire to the lower PAD of jumper 16. Jumper 16’s lower PAD maps directly to PCM PIN 77!

Solder the V1 PINs 12 and 13 together. This is best done from the backside of the PCB where the PINS push through. You could also use piece of wire wrap but that seems to be a bit of overkill.

mpewire.jpg

That’s it! There are no jumpers to change on the CHA PCB.

mpeboxcart.jpg

mpetv.jpg

The Insert and Label

I created a custom insert and label for Money Puzzle Exchanger. I used snippets from the Japanese MVS flyer, several screen grabs and a few graphics created from scratch. I decided to create English Version graphics, right down to converting the Japanese logo to English! I supplied plenty of Engrish on the back side of the insert to complete the art. I decided to go with a really bright dark pinkish color, in honor of the King of Fighters 2002 NGH insert. Overall, I’m really pleased with it. The insert is designed to fit the old style case. With a little work, it would make a fine Shock Box insert.

mpeinsertsmall.jpg

<a href="http://www.tiptonium.com/videogames/reviews/neogeo/images/mpeinsert.jpg" target="_blank">Click Here To Download Hi-Res Insert</a>

mpelabelsmall.jpg

<a href="http://www.tiptonium.com/videogames/reviews/neogeo/images/mpelabel.jpg" target="_blank">Click Here To Download Hi-Res Label</a>

-- Tiptonium Out

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Tiptonium ]</p>

MattMan

Galford's Armourer
Fantastic job man. That game is so addictive, I remember spending hours at a friends house only playing that such a great game.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
How much did it cost? I may or may not want to do a conversion of that game in the future. Depends on if I get a phantom-1 anytime soon.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
LMAO!

I love teh Engrish on the back:

"Get coin with "A" button."

Great job though seriously. Looks really ace with an excellent looking sticker and insert.

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Originally posted by broken:
<strong>LMAO!

I love teh Engrish on the back:

"Get coin with "A" button."

Great job though seriously. Looks really ace with an excellent looking sticker and insert.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks... here's the full text:

“Perform multiple conversionsfor high bonus!”

In Money Puzzle Exchanger you can be a Debtmiser or Exchanger. Is choice to be yours for money counting fun and much longer pleasure when play is good.

“Exchaaaange!” Battle wits by counting and combination coin duel. To lose is to forfeit honor. Bad indeed! No luck but skill can prevail.

“Game U Start U!” Play setup is easy but to win is not without strategy. Line up coin of same value to create “change” reaction to convert to higher coin value for maximum bonus scores. Send debt to opponent for crushing defeat and loss.

Get coin with “A” button. Throw with “B” button. If coin falls under ground you lose, sorry. Change coins with 5 match... Rank up!

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Originally posted by Matt Semmel:
<strong>How much did it cost? I may or may not want to do a conversion of that game in the future. Depends on if I get a phantom-1 anytime soon.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cost? What's that? ;) Well, for starters it is the cost of the materials plus labor. Cost of materials vary. They include the hardware components, shipping of those components, high gloss paper stock consumption, inks, tools etc. Labor includes R&D, art, construction, testing et al. This conversion took longer than normal due to the nature of the job and my inexperience in that regard. The art creation can actually take longer! I know it did for this conversion.

It is a hobby. I try not to put a cost figure on a hobby. :)

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Very nice Tip!

I really like that insert too... but why do you keep using orange stripes? Orange stripes are bullshit lie from NGF???

Thanks for the translation too! I now know what's being said in my version of MPE! :D

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Originally posted by Tarma:
<strong>Very nice Tip!

I really like that insert too... but why do you keep using orange stripes? Orange stripes are bullshit lie from NGF???

Thanks for the translation too! I now know what's being said in my version of MPE! :D </strong><hr></blockquote>

The stripes are yellow. :) What color should a puzzle game be?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
So, while I'm impressed, I have to ask: when are you going to start selling these things? I want! I want!

Spike

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Tiptonium: The stripes are yellow. :) What color should a puzzle game be?<hr></blockquote>

red. :)

btw : the artwork isn't perfect. seems like, you forgot to cut some bg graphics. (between the brown hair)

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Damn...

Tip, quick question. I want to try this conversion. being the real newbie that I am.... How do I remove those soldered chips?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Tiptonium:
<strong>

The stripes are yellow. :) What color should a puzzle game be?</strong><hr></blockquote>

My bad (shitty resolution monitor...).

Officially? I don't know... Wasn't Puzzled the only US puzzle game release? The spinse stripes on Magical Drop (Jap) are yellow, so I gues maybe that's the colour to go for!

Of course SNK USA would have made them red... :rolleyes:

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
<strong>

Cost? What's that? ;) Well, for starters it is the cost of the materials plus labor. Cost of materials vary. They include the hardware components, shipping of those components, high gloss paper stock consumption, inks, tools etc. Labor includes R&D, art, construction, testing et al. This conversion took longer than normal due to the nature of the job and my inexperience in that regard. The art creation can actually take longer! I know it did for this conversion.

It is a hobby. I try not to put a cost figure on a hobby. :) </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yea, well I'm just 16 and I'm not exactly made of money. $60 a month much?

Anyways, I'll do it myself if it's easy. I have shaky hands and I'm not a very competent solderer. :(

Let's found up part prices, mmmkay?

Money Puzzle Exchanger MVS=like $50 I guess?
WH2J Homecart=let's say... $30 shipped?

Labor is done by me, and solder and soldering iron can be provided by my parents since they do a lot of circuit stuff.

Hey Tip, think you can PM me instructions/guide me through this sometime?

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Originally posted by supergoose79:
<strong>

red. :)

btw : the artwork isn't perfect. seems like, you forgot to cut some bg graphics. (between the brown hair)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Whoa! I guess all of that pink blinded me temporarily. I'll fix the graphics soon... probably tonight or tomorrow. Red stripe eh? Hmmmm...

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Originally posted by Lastblade:
<strong>Damn...

Tip, quick question. I want to try this conversion. being the real newbie that I am.... How do I remove those soldered chips?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The super low cost way is to use desolder braid ($3.00) and a good low watt desolder gun ($9.99) from Radio Shack. Here's a picture (note, just touch it with the iron - you'll see the desolder braid soak up the solder. Leaving it on the PCB will result in disasterous results):

ezdesoldermethod.jpg

Warning: Do this in a well ventilated area. Obey all safety precautions.

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Originally posted by Spike Spiegel:
<strong>So, while I'm impressed, I have to ask: when are you going to start selling these things? I want! I want!

Spike</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sell? No plans. There are those that do this sort of thing though.

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Originally posted by Matt Semmel:
<strong>

Yea, well I'm just 16 and I'm not exactly made of money. $60 a month much?

Anyways, I'll do it myself if it's easy. I have shaky hands and I'm not a very competent solderer. :(

Let's found up part prices, mmmkay?

Money Puzzle Exchanger MVS=like $50 I guess?
WH2J Homecart=let's say... $30 shipped?

Labor is done by me, and solder and soldering iron can be provided by my parents since they do a lot of circuit stuff.

Hey Tip, think you can PM me instructions/guide me through this sometime?</strong><hr></blockquote>

See my original post at the beginning of the thread for the instructions! That's pretty much all there is to it. :)

Part prices vary depending on a number of factors. Just be a smart shopper. Solder and a solder gun alone is not recommended. Seach online for various desolder articles using google.

Study and patience is key.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
just one more thing :

i'd try using one of the special photoshop effects to reduce (at least a bit) the blurred look of the front artwork and i'd also prefer the black bg behind the "neo geo" spine logo.
... but that's just my opinion. still a very good job, actually.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
You need to redo the insert and the sticker.

The game is called Money Puzzle 'IDOL' Exchanger.

Dunno know why anyone hasn't fixed the name yet.

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: BonusKun ]</p>

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Originally posted by BonusKun:
<strong>You need to redo the insert and the sticker.

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: BonusKun ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Because when set in English mode the game is caled Money Puzzle Exchanger..no idol is present. See the screenshots section. In Japanese it is Money Idol Exchanger. Adding Idol to the English name would be like calling Fatal Fury, "Fatal Garou Densetsu Fury"

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Tip, in all honestly with all these tutorials you're tempting me to do this sort of thing!

Peace

JHendrix

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Tip, thanks for answering me the desoldering question. Now I need to hunt down a WH2J cart.

Btw, is WH2J cart the best one to use? How about WH2?

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
<strong>

See my original post at the beginning of the thread for the instructions! That's pretty much all there is to it. :)

Part prices vary depending on a number of factors. Just be a smart shopper. Solder and a solder gun alone is not recommended. Seach online for various desolder articles using google.

Study and patience is key.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the advice, but I honestly can't understand those directions. It's a little too technical (as in "English please :D "). I'd probably need pictures of everything and/or someone holding my hand through the process.

I probably have a few old circuit boards I could practice soldering on though...

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Originally posted by BonusKun:
<strong>You need to redo the insert and the sticker.

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: BonusKun ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Odd... does not come up that way in English?!?! I think I'll just leave it alone.