Unfound negativity surrounding SVC? *Updated List*

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I've been hearing a few negative things surrounding SVC here and there (especially on this forum), some of which I think are ridiculous, while others seem to be valid. So I compilied a list.

Here they go:

1) Roster Selection

This is one complaint I couldn't care about. There is no way they'll ever be able to satisfy people here. There's always some dumb ass who likes a character no one else uses, then proceeds to talk about not buying the game as a result.

Oh, why wasn't Birdie in it from SF1 and SFA I picked him all the time. Damn you SNK!

If anything, the only valid complaint is there are too many shotos in the game, making this a hard to "jump in and combo" kind of game due to the anti air moves. But this doesn't ruin the game. What can you do when some of the most popular characters are shotos?

One grappler?

2) This should have been a team game (a la KOF).

Whatever, SNK/P wanted to make a game that separates it from the CVS versions.

3) Classic gameplay style.

No doubt about it, the game is not a run at your opponent and start a combo kind of game. The dashes make it wee bit more like an old school kind of game couple it with the lack of rolls and we're almost back to the basics.

Personally I like to run in fighting games. But the ability to cancel out of a dash and start a combo is a plus. I don't think its a drawback. It's just something you have to learn, besides I'm tired of picking up a fighting game and beating it because of familiarity with the mechanics.

4) Hit detection errors

Ok, this one hurts the most. I'd hate to be in the middle of a heated match, only to lose because for some insane reason my special move didn't connect. There is no excuse for this.

5) Lack of variety in backgrounds.

I'd have to disagree with this, granted there aren't a lot of backgrounds, it isn't the best nor is it the worst. Its not like we're talking KOF2k1 here.

6) Infinites, broken gameplay.

Another drawback. I don't understand how SNKP could have let something like this slip by them. I'm refering to Geese and Zero.

7) Dated hardware, NG is teh suck

&@#* you! That's what I say.

8) Music sucks

It's not that bad, but I have to admit its hard to hear the music with people shouting in the background and the guys next to the cab playing CVS2.

I think its a fun game, but I need more time with it. What do you think of the common complaints? Do you have something to add? Do you belive they're exaggerated?

And now 9 - 11 added by BBH:

9. Move detection sucks for charge characters.

Although it's not bad as I originally thought based on Mog's post in the other thread, that you can do "Charge Down, then Up" motions by holding Down-Back, then pressing UP-FORWARD plus the button instead. However, the fact remains that this is just inexcusable. Fighting games have been popular for 12 years, how can you make a game with such fuck-ups in the move detection like that in this day and age? Charge supers are even worse, because if you do a super that requires "Charge Back, press Forward, Back, Forward + button" too fast (or even at a moderate speed for god's sake!!!), you end up getting a backdash when you hit those first two Back's. Although this only applies when you're just standing on the ground, the moves will still come out if you do them quickly in combos, when landing from a jump, when getting up off the ground, etc. But that's still just fucking inexcusable.

10. Inconsistencies in getting close-range attacks to come out.

Nobody else has mentioned this so maybe it's just me, but I found that a lot of times after jumping in with an attack, I always ended up getting pushed back too far and my next attack would be a FAR standing attack. Which in most cases, isn't bufferable and completely ruins what I was going to attempt to do with that attack. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just crazy?

11. Throws are pathetic.

This is probably a bit subjective since some people stuck in the "OMG THROWS ARE SOOOOOOOOO CHEAP" mindset. But throws should be an important, yet not overpowering aspect of play. Here they just completely suck. Two-button activation, zero range, incredibly miniscule damage, and you lose super meter for whiffing a throw??? There's like no point in EVER attempting a regular throw because the risks are too high and the rewards are too little. Characters with command throws fare a little better since they tend to do more damage (Chun-Li has Yun/Yang's special throw from the SF3's and can link a super off it!), but they still have so little range that you needs to be alls up in the opponent's face just to do one. Including poor Hugo and his 360+P.

<small>[ September 03, 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: the roker ]</small>

mog

Bead Banger
SNK was just being stupid when they put hidden characters. Wow! It's great, now we have a bunch of random characters that have never been playtested. Oh well, we never poorly balance games, so I'm sure they won't completely destroy the normal characters!

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
SVC is an awesome game in my opinion.Although it could have been better, it still is in my mind worth every penny I paid for pre-orderering the homecart.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'm setting up house rules anyway.

Zero, Mars People, and Geese (unfortunately, because I love this character) are going to banned.

What do you think the chances are the game will be "revised" for the home cart edition? Its a possibility. After all, they've had the time to make changes if necessary.

<small>[ September 02, 2003, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: the roker ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
This game couldn't have ever lived up to the hype surrounding it. People on this board will bitch about anything in games when it comes to music, graphics, characters, or "OMG IORI'S JAW LOOKS TEH FUKED". People were bashing this game ever since the first tidbits of artwork was released, what else is new. Welcome to Neo-Geo.com. Play the games you like and don't get sidetracked by whatever other person's bullshit opinion is.

mog

Bead Banger
I don't really mind graphics and music and stuff. The game looks good enough that it is playable, after that it's all game play. Why is "Mars People" plural? Are the individual tentacles "people" attached to one bulba or what?

It's a shame that two of the coolest characters in the game are essentially to cheap to be allowed to play as.

<small>[ September 02, 2003, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: mog ]</small>

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
They're called Mars People because the character uses a lot of attacks with "mini" mars people shooting at the opponent.

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
It's something different and I'm glad SVC and kof Have clearly outgrown the MVS but I'm proud of what they've done with it.

Can't wait for SVC 2 buttrock

even if it is on MVS
for me gameplay and style > > > all

don't like it? :cool: too bad angry at least playmore are still making fighting games

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
AssassinStrike:

don't like it? :cool: too bad angry at least playmore are still making fighting games
exactly, its not like you can get your 2D fighting game "fix" elsewhere. I don't think its as bad as people make it. Then again, I actually liked CVS when I first played it :mad:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I'm going to take a few things from my post in Loopz' thread because you might have missed them.

the roker:

1) Roster Selection, this is one complaint I couldn't care about. There is no way they'll ever be able to satisfy people here. There's always some dumb ass who likes a character no one else uses, then proceeds to talk about not buying the game as a result.

Oh, why wasn't Birdie in it from SF1 and SFA I picked him all the time. Damn you SNK!

If anything, the only valid complaint is there are too many shotos in the game, making this a hard to "jump in and combo" kind of game due to the anti air moves. But this doesn't ruin the game. What can you do when some of the most popular characters are shotos?
I'll agree on this, that there was no fucking way in hell everyone would be satisfied. No matter who makes the cut, there's always going to be people pissed off that their favorite characters didn't make the cut. A no-win situation unless they put in every character EVER, and that's not happening.

But besides there being too many Shotos, I have another very valid complaint - the severe lack of good grapplers. Who is there to select in this game? Hugo. That's it. AND HUGO FUCKING SUCKS. They completely raped his 360+P, taking away at least half (if not more) of its distance.... and of course, down-scaling the damage on it, big time. (I don't remember how much range his 720 super had) Without a good "suck-in" grab and low damage on throws, he's mainly a punching bag for everyone else. And don't say "Well, you just suck with him then", I'm quite proficient with Hugo in 3rd Strike so I'm familiar with his moves.

Note that the entire SNK side is lacking any sort of representation by a grappler. I'm not saying "They shoulda put Goro in!!!", I'm just saying that ANYONE would have been nice.

2) This should have been a team game (a la KOF).

Whatever, SNK/P wanted to make a game that separates it from the CVS versions.
I actually sort of prefer one-on-one anyway! There's too many damn team games lately as it is.

3) Classic gameplay style.

No doubt about it, the game is not a run at your opponent and start a combo kind of game. The dashes make it wee bit more like an old school kind of game. Personally I like to run in fighting games. But the ability to cancel out of a dash and start a combo is a plus. I don't think its a drawback.
Something that's entirely subjective I guess... I prefer running too, I don't like the dashes in this game. They feel too... limited in range. This isn't a big complaint for me though.

4) Hit detection errors

Ok, this one hurts the most. I'd hate to be in the middle of a heated match, only to lose because for some insane reason my special move didn't connect. There is no excuse for this.
The funny thing is, I haven't really witnessed any gross errors! Maybe I'm not looking hard enough... oh, but there is the little matter of Sagat's super High Tiger Shot. What the hell is up with that? Several times I stood up after I was SURE it had passed over the character, and I still ended up getting hit. It didn't look right at all. And while I'm on the subject of this super, why the hell can't Shiki duck under high Tiger Shots? Even for the super, if you block low it still hits you...?!?! Someone explain that to me.

5) Lack of variety in backgrounds.

I'd have to disagree with this, granted there aren't a lot of backgrounds, it isn't the best nor is it the worst. Its not like we're talking KOF2k1 here.
Not something that makes a big deal to me because I'm most concerned about the gameplay.

6) Infinites, broken gameplay.

Another drawback. I don't understand how SNKP could have let something like this slip by them. I'm refering to Geese and Zero.
Indeed. Putting in 9483753478728 hidden characters that didn't get to be played at the location tests was a bad idea for the long run. For the first weeks it might be exciting with the "OMG IT'S THE METAL SLUG ALIEN!!!" discoveries, but who's ever surprised by these things in the arcade any more when we learn everything on the 'net anyway? They should have just made most of those characters playable from the start like everyone else.

but it amazes me that even SNKP's own playtesters wouldn't think to try another dp+D with Zero to see if they could get more hits after landing one...

7) Dated hardware, NG is teh suck

&@#* you! That's what I say.

8) Music sucks

It's not that bad, but I have to admit its hard to hear the music with people shouting in the background and the guys next to the cab playing CVS2.
see #5, not touching these or whining about anything here...

I think its a fun game, but I need more time with it. What do you think of the common complaints? Do you have something to add? Do you belive they're exaggerated?
Ohhhh yeah I got some to add.

9. Move detection sucks for charge characters.

Although it's not bad as I originally thought based on Mog's post in the other thread, that you can do "Charge Down, then Up" motions by holding Down-Back, then pressing UP-FORWARD plus the button instead. However, the fact remains that this is just inexcusable. Fighting games have been popular for 12 years, how can you make a game with such fuck-ups in the move detection like that in this day and age? Charge supers are even worse, because if you do a super that requires "Charge Back, press Forward, Back, Forward + button" too fast (or even at a moderate speed for god's sake!!!), you end up getting a backdash when you hit those first two Back's. Although this only applies when you're just standing on the ground, the moves will still come out if you do them quickly in combos, when landing from a jump, when getting up off the ground, etc. But that's still just fucking inexcusable.

10. Inconsistencies in getting close-range attacks to come out.

Nobody else has mentioned this so maybe it's just me, but I found that a lot of times after jumping in with an attack, I always ended up getting pushed back too far and my next attack would be a FAR standing attack. Which in most cases, isn't bufferable and completely ruins what I was going to attempt to do with that attack. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just crazy?

11. Throws are pathetic.

This is probably a bit subjective since some people stuck in the "OMG THROWS ARE SOOOOOOOOO CHEAP" mindset. But throws should be an important, yet not overpowering aspect of play. Here they just completely suck. Two-button activation, zero range, incredibly miniscule damage, and you lose super meter for whiffing a throw??? There's like no point in EVER attempting a regular throw because the risks are too high and the rewards are too little. Characters with command throws fare a little better since they tend to do more damage (Chun-Li has Yun/Yang's special throw from the SF3's and can link a super off it!), but they still have so little range that you needs to be alls up in the opponent's face just to do one. Including poor Hugo and his 360+P.

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
As for chara selection it's impossible to please everyone

I'm happy with it can't be an easy thing to make a fighting game, if you can do better email your CV to SNKP please....

And get a petition in Jpn for SNKP to upgrade their boards,

SVC is too popular and liked by too many hardcore neo gamers to be that bad a game.

YOU SHOULD GET DOWN on your knees and thank your god that SNKP are still even making games for the mvs SUCH loyalty cannot BE BOUGHT at least they didn't cancel on you halfway thru the game or make it only for ppl in Japan?

It does take time to appreciate a neo game it's like a fine wine you have to savor the taste I've fell in love the kof games each and everyone of them, each one has it's own acquired taste so many of them that you never tire of them easily...

Sure there are small errors and things but I've never played a perfect fighting game

The gameplay and style UMF get me every time
NEOGEO IS THE ARCADE buttrock

I'd shudder to think what would happen to arcades if there were no NEO GEO games

<small>[ September 02, 2003, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: AssassinStrike ]</small>

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
AssassinStrike:

SVC is too popular and liked by too many hardcore neo gamers to be that bad a game.
Riiiiiight. The game has been out for like a month and a half and a lot of people still haven't played the game. And how do you know the people that are playing it now will still be playing it with the same dedication a few months from now? Who's to say that the people who are playing the game right now haven't realized just how irritating the negative aspects of the game are?

YOU SHOULD GET DOWN on your knees and thank your god that SNKP are still even making games for the mvs SUCH loyalty cannot BE BOUGHT at least they didn't cancel on you halfway thru the game or make it only for ppl in Japan?
...am I supposed to cut them a break and look at the game through rose-tinted glasses and just say "Ohhhhh it's okay, because they made the game at all that means it's super! Yay! Group hug everyone!". SNKP's continued support of the Neo-Geo is quite amazing, but it would mean so much more if the game was of a higher caliber.

Sure there are small errors and things but I've never played a perfect fighting game
Sure, no game is perfect. But this game is MUCH farther from perfection compared to many others.

And get a petition in Jpn for SNKP to upgrade their boards,
HAHAHA! This is so funny I had to save it for last. Yeah, right, a petition. You should go start one on petitiononline.com and get SNK Playmore to read it! Hahahahahahah. That's classic.

Face it, it's over. The game was released, and it has many flaws that they're not going to take the time to correct now. Get over it and realize that this isn't the perfect be-all and end-all of fighting games that you were hoping it would be, because it sounds like your mind is made up that you're going to love the game no matter what's wrong with it.

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
If you hate kof2k1 or have such a bad view of it then I have very little or NO respect angry for your opinion :cool:

goodbye

graphics are not more important than gameplay and style (in a perfect world SVC would be on a better board but it isn't get over it)

go play GG I don't care

<small>[ September 02, 2003, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: AssassinStrike ]</small>

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
This is a bit pointless if you ask me.

All the negativity and gameplay flaws that I've heard about have been spoken by people who know what they're talking about. I have yet to see anyone say something bad about the game without going into explicit detail about what exactly it is they don’t like. Whether it’s about the rooster (heh), hit detection, charge-back motions, graphics, music, whatever...

Everything that has been dissed about this game has been pointed out in painfully precise detail.

Calling these flaws “unfounded” is quite dumb, because the people pointing out these flaws are not your average gamers, they are folk who have dedicated their lives to knowing and playing these types games.

And even though I don’t agree with certain peoples’ opinions; I do respect them.

Just for fun, I’ll toss in my opinion of the game:

None.

I have yet to play it.

But I am a rabid fighter fan and I’m not hard to please, so I know I’ll play it to death and love it, despite its shortcomings.

<small>[ September 02, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
I played SvC and I loved it.

I used Kim for a good bit and I had no problems with his D,U+K charge move, that came off every time w/o a hitch.

I played against a Hugo player and I have to say I think Hugo is more powerful in SvC than he is in 3rd Strike. Well at least he's FASTER in SvC than he is in 3rd Strike, although my impression could be be skewed, the guy I was playing against is very good with throw characters.

I actually am trying to learn Hugo now in 3rd Strike just so I can get a running start with him in SvC when I get it.

That and I love the way the game system works. The game rewards players who are overly offensive. If you're going to turtle the whole time then you're going to be facing a person who has 2 super levels and is about to go into Maximum (and then you're REALLY in trouble). Plus if things DO get one sided you have the EX Super move (that doesn't require a level but can only be done once per MATCH). That thing does a full life bar worth of damage and can totally swing the match around or at least bring it back to an equal footing. Kind of like how devastating the supers are in Last Blade 1&2 and in RB/MOTW.

I donno what else to say other than after playing the game for a bit I'm almost counting the days till my cart arrives. WHY ISN'T IT OCTOBER YET!?!?!? blow_top

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
I'm mostly pissed about the broken characters, they should've been selectable during the beta.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
AssassinStrike:
[...] SVC is too popular and liked by too many hardcore neo gamers to be that bad a game.

YOU SHOULD GET DOWN on your knees and thank your god that SNKP are still even making games for the mvs SUCH loyalty cannot BE BOUGHT at least they didn't cancel on you halfway thru the game or make it only for ppl in Japan? [...]
Here we are now, playing Beta-testers for SNKP...

First off, I'm not so sure about the "hardcore neo gamers" anymore. I mean, some of them also like KoF2k2, and tho I have to admit that there's a certain competitive quality to it, it's cleary sub-par compared to earlier installations except 2k.

Yes, basically it's amazing that there still are games coming out for our ole' Neo, but where does it say that we have to accept anything just to get new stuff? If there are hit detection flaws and stupid features like the crappy d,u-exclusive charging, then this should be addressed as elaboratedly as possible in order to avoid the same problem should there be a sequel. It doesn't help Playmore if we all go nuts in praising a game that has flaws which simply are a no-no nowadays. We're in 2k3, not the mid-90s.

What's more, ppl like BBH or Loopz actually do what SNKP should have done before - real play testing and, more importantly, error reporting. Don't kill the messenger.

So yes, exaggerated bashing of games just because they're new and NOT from the original SNK is stupid, but so is trying to keep up the status quo just because you're afraid that the flow of new releases might cease one day.

Just my $0.02

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
but so is trying to keep up the status quo just because you're afraid that the flow of new releases might cease one day.
I like 2k1 and 2k2 more than any other fighting game at the mo it just gives me the UMF

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
People who complain about the secret characters being overpowered should just shut up and not buy the game.

If you're not paying $325, then why complain? If you're buying the game either way, why complaine? It's not going to be un-fun, and you know it. Fucktards.

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
EvilWasabi:
People who complain about the secret characters being overpowered should just shut up and not buy the game.

If you're not paying $325, then why complain? If you're buying the game either way, why complaine? It's not going to be un-fun, and you know it. Fucktards.
It's not that my man, it's arcade play. I'm buying the MVS version, because I had a lot of fun with the game, but it's frustrating when you enter the arcade and you have a bunch of Zero's running around. I obviously won't have that problem at home, but it certainly limits the appeal in an arcade environment.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I think you'd be overestimating your area to say that a bunch of zeros would be running around. Sure, there'd be a few guys that play as overpowered characters, but I'd say just let them have the machines and and play through until they get bored and die, and then play through on your own. If they challenge you and use zero, just walk away. They'd be even more pissed off, as their intention on picking Zero is to beat someone out of weak pride. No one says you have to take it.

And even though Genjuro has a a few infinites in SSIII and SSIV, I don't see people use them that much. In fact, with all the 100% combos in SSIV, I only see them when I play against the CPU, never with head to head play.

JHendrix

EvilWasabi:
I think you'd be overestimating your area to say that a bunch of zeros would be running around. Sure, there'd be a few guys that play as overpowered characters, but I'd say just let them have the machines and and play through until they get bored and die, and then play through on your own. If they challenge you and use zero, just walk away. They'd be even more pissed off, as their intention on picking Zero is to beat someone out of weak pride. No one says you have to take it.

And even though Genjuro has a a few infinites in SSIII and SSIV, I don't see people use them that much. In fact, with all the 100% combos in SSIV, I only see them when I play against the CPU, never with head to head play.
Big difference, you have honor when you play. A lot of idiots don't. Ever play MvC2 competitively in an arcade? Yeah it gets really boring really quickly, people are assholes. But what can you do, just play it at home with your friends and you won't have that problem anymore.

Not like I get to play SvC in an arcade setting anyway, there are no cades around me with it in there. :(

Well there is one in Philly, but it'd take forever to get to and I ain't dealing with that shit just to play the game which I'll own in just over a months time.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
JHendrix:
Well there is one in Philly, but it'd take forever to get to and I ain't dealing with that shit just to play the game which I'll own in just over a months time.
Where??? Is it South Street or Market Street??
Tell me! Tell me! Tell me! :D
-BB

John

Ghost of Captain Kidd
JHendrix:
Big difference, you have honor when you play. A lot of idiots don't. Ever play MvC2 competitively in an arcade? Yeah it gets really boring really quickly, people are assholes. But what can you do, just play it at home with your friends and you won't have that problem anymore.

Not like I get to play SvC in an arcade setting anyway, there are no cades around me with it in there. :(

Pfft, you speak of "honor." Honor is a concept of the weak for the weak. In the end, nobody care who fights honorably or fairly... they only care about who wins. The only true honor is victory.

So I say, infinite your opponents, tick-throw them, exploit every flaw, both in your victim and the game, to your advantage. Don't let some concept that doesn't allow for the arbitrary nature of reality hold you back. Make those pathetic fools who whine about such outdated concepts as "honor" and "fair play" suffer for their indignance.

JHendrix

BIG BEAR:
JHendrix:
Where??? Is it South Street or Market Street??
Tell me! Tell me! Tell me! :D
-BB
VannillaThunder mentioned to me that he knew of an Arcade in Philly with it, I think he said it was by the university. He'll be able to tell you exactly where though.