What's the going price of a conversion of Metal Slug right now?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
No manual. Good sticker, snap lock, and insert (JPN). I have a good idea of how much it should be, but would like to hear from the rest of you... thanks.

Spike

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Originally posted by garou_d:
<strong>$250 - $300 not more IMO.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's too much

MVS cart: $65
SAC FF3: $70
Service: JK($75); NG2K2($50)
Playing MS on a home system without paying the price of the original cart: Priceless.

Seriously, just do the math. $185-$210 TOPS.

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Originally posted by Argentina94:
<strong>

That's too much

MVS cart: $65
SAC FF3: $70
Service: JK($75); NG2K2($50)
Playing MS on a home system without paying the price of the original cart: Priceless.

Seriously, just do the math. $185-$210 TOPS.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You forgot to mention the price of the trouble. You are only adding up the costs. You forgot the mention the shipping costs of the parts. It costs about $7 to ship a Neo Geo game. So we are talking about $14 for the two games. Then you have to ship them to Mr. Kurtz. That would cost about $12 insured. So we are talking about $26 for the shipping alone. Naturally, you have to find the parts first and that takes time and time is money. So a Metal Slug conversion would cost about $250 to make. I think that they go for $275. There is no real profit in conversions. You can expect to make your money back but not much more than that. The trick is getting the parts as cheaply as possible but still in good condition. I have done about half a dozen of these things and am fixing to do more. I hope that helps you out. By the way, my conversion had an instruction manual as well.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Originally posted by Argentina94:
<strong>
</strong><hr></blockquote>

I guess... If you're into Frankenstein games.

I honestly can't deal with conversions. I'd get a converter and the MVS cart. No need to destroy a perfectly good FF3.

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
No need to destroy a perfectly good FF3. <hr></blockquote>

I'd be willing to buy a working FF3 MVS made from a reverse conversion. Anyone else? :p

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
Originally posted by EvilWasabi:
<strong>

I honestly can't deal with conversions. I'd get a converter and the MVS cart. No need to destroy a perfectly good FF3.</strong><hr></blockquote>

amen there bruh! saddens me to hear about the FF3 or KoF95 SACs out there just to get Metal Slug Conv and sad part is, its not even that great of a game. tho this doesn't mean i will ever try to unload my JPN and AES carts. still i haven't played this metal slug for well over 3 yrs... sad indeed. :(

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
<strong>

I honestly can't deal with conversions. I'd get a converter and the MVS cart. No need to destroy a perfectly good FF3.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is simply your elitist attitude at work, Chuck.

What I can't deal with is all the collectors who go PETA on material items that they don't own.

I'm not upset at you, because I normally respect your posts, but I'm simply responding to your comments in kind, no more.

Makismo: Actually, the carts both included the cost of shipping, since I'm speaking from personal experience. What I didn't include was the shipping to and from the convertor (which I would say $10 each way).

Also, in the case of my MS, NG2K2 already had the cart on hand (KOF '95) so I paid no shipping for it.

Really, this could easily be had for $200 max. Just look for a non-collectors quality sac cart and the rest is easy.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Originally posted by evasyar:
<strong>

amen there bruh! saddens me to hear about the FF3 or KoF95 SACs out there just to get Metal Slug Conv and sad part is, its not even that great of a game. tho this doesn't mean i will ever try to unload my JPN and AES carts. still i haven't played this metal slug for well over 3 yrs... sad indeed. :( </strong><hr></blockquote>

I will agree on the quality of KOF 95, but if you think that MS is not a very good game, I shudder to think on your opinion on Fatal Fury 3.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I own Metal Slug and BTG on home cart. Even before i bought them I never wanted a conversion. It was the homecart or the MVS cart or the CD.

Honestly, if you really wanted to play BTG, you'd buy the Neo CD version. Then you'd get the same exact game + the Scotland course.

Conversions are a joke. If arguing against the validity of conversions as a worthwhile endeavor or purchase makes me an elitist, then I happily accept the title.

Regarding Metal Slug 1 - there are so many ways to play the game - MVS, CD, roms, PSX, Saturn. If you feel like you won't be happy unless you play it through your home console, then you need to seek help. The best versions of metal slug 1 include the combat school - namely the Saturn version with a ram card and the Neo CD version.

Moreover, if you are buying up more than 1 conversion because you can't afford games, then you are stupid. It's cheaper to get a phantom 1 and 2 mvs carts than it is to buy a conversion of BTG and a conversion of metal slug 1. In fact, even if you include FEDEX shipping to overnight a a converter and 2 MVS carts it would be cheaper than buying the two conversions.

Stop lying to yourself. Conversions are a thing of the past - obsolete ever since the advent of the converter and the use of MVS boards at home.

There is no argument. You are either going to buy worthless conversion that are not collectible items and spend more, or put your money where your mouth is and buy the MVS carts. Because if you buy conversions for games readily available on MVS, you are either a hypocrite or a fool.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
<strong>I own Metal Slug and BTG on home cart. Even before i bought them I never wanted a conversion. It was the homecart or the MVS cart or the CD.

Honestly, if you really wanted to play BTG, you'd buy the Neo CD version. Then you'd get the same exact game + the Scotland course.

Conversions are a joke. If arguing against the validity of conversions as a worthwhile endeavor or purchase makes me an elitist, then I happily accept the title.

Regarding Metal Slug 1 - there are so many ways to play the game - MVS, CD, roms, PSX, Saturn. If you feel like you won't be happy unless you play it through your home console, then you need to seek help. The best versions of metal slug 1 include the combat school - namely the Saturn version with a ram card and the Neo CD version.

Moreover, if you are buying up more than 1 conversion because you can't afford games, then you are stupid. It's cheaper to get a phantom 1 and 2 mvs carts than it is to buy a conversion of BTG and a conversion of metal slug 1. In fact, even if you include FEDEX shipping to overnight a a converter and 2 MVS carts it would be cheaper than buying the two conversions.

Stop lying to yourself. Conversions are a thing of the past - obsolete ever since the advent of the converter and the use of MVS boards at home.

There is no argument. You are either going to buy worthless conversion that are not collectible items and spend more, or put your money where your mouth is and buy the MVS carts. Because if you buy conversions for games readily available on MVS, you are either a hypocrite or a fool.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This can be attributed to the validity of owning the homecart system over the MVS hardware. How much did you pay for your MS and BTG, since you only bought them within a year? Why be a fool and waste money, regardless of the fact you can afford it, when a Phantom 1 or a Supergun would have been cheaper?

Point is, you had a preference for overspending on something you had no practical reason for doing so.

Conversions, while more expensive in the long run than a Phantom 1 + MVS carts, are done for a reason. I don't like a monstrous, bulky cart mod that makes my system taller than my television, nor do I wish to buy yet another system (Neo CD) for which I have no space, simply to play BTG with one exttra course. The conversion would cost me the same as the system and the CD and it's smaller.

Once you mentioned "collectible item", again I rolled my eyes at your elitist attitude. I play games, I don't collect them. I take care of them, but I don't look at them with future investment in mind. I use the items for what they were intended: entertainment.

Putting them in plastic baggies is a sign of paranoia and a necessity for therapy.

A Phantom 1 costs $270. The MVS carts for each of the titles in our argument cost $60. The total comes to $390. I paid $200 EACH for MS and NTM converted, not including the shipping costs I paid to receive the COMPLETED games. A Phantom 1 + 2 MVS carts would cost more to ship than two homecarts so I figure for the same price, I eliminated a horrendous looking piece of hardware that doesn't function all that well to begin with.

Your response only stems from your fear of destroying homecarts, not the validity of conversions despite your arguments to the contrary.

If validity and practicality we're the real reason, then ALL homecart owners would be the idiots, more so those who buy rare original carts whose value is in the stratosphere.

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
I like conversions of overprized games and this one went for $310 yesterday on ebay.. Still quite a lot I would say

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
I like conversions of overprized games and this one went for $310 yesterday on ebay.. Still quite a lot I would say

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, I do agree with most of EW arguments, although Argentina94 also has a point. I also don't like the idea of destroying both a HC and a MVS to create a bastard HC. What is true is that if you only want to play the game then you can just go to the cheaper and more confortable way for you. In my opinion, paying more than 100$ for ANY game is quite stupid, no game is worth that much, so for me having AES carts is a waste of money. In any case, if you only want to have 2 games in home format that you can't afford to buy original (that means you can afford the rest of games you want, yet again another waste of money), it's true that the conversions would be cheaper, but if you buy the Phantom, then from now on you can have almost any game for a fraction of its cost in AES, without having to kill more carts. I would prefer to have 40 MVS and a phantom than 10 AES games (some converted)for the same price.

Argentina, personally I don't think that using a Phantom is that unconfortable for you. Also, how many home carts do you own? Do the math now to check how much they cost and how much would they cost in MVS format plus a Phantom. And also if you want more games then you can just buy the MVS version and that's all. Also there are some games not available on AES (other than conversion of course).

In my case, I've never had (and I never will) owned an AES system. I first started playing conversions, then roms, then Neo Geo CD and finally (when I discovered this site) a MVS board through a supergun (by the way here in Europe they are much cheaper as our TVs support RGB, so you get BETTER picture saving the around 100$ a crappy RGB->NTSC convertor costs). I only have loose MVS carts, I don't care for fancy boxes, inserts and manuals, I just want to play. Also I can have many other arcade boards. I also installed the unibios (costed me 10€ ) so if I want I can access all the AES options, and even tricks and hidden features (through debug).

Just my 2 cents.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Amano Jacu ]</p>

Robert

20 Year Member
The value of a conversion is quite hard to define. You can put the technical price like argentina 94 has made but one of the most important part of the price can from the rarity of the cart. We can't speak about rarity for a conversion because it's not a legal SNK product. If I make now a FF2 conversion, it would be certainly unique but it has no value. I understand that some people want to play MS on their AES consider them as collecting piece is an another story.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Back to the original topic, a Metal Slug conversion usually sells for more than 300$ in ebay, due to the high price of the original one and ignorance (or lazyness) of the buyers about how to make / have made one, that would cost you 200-300$ depending on the circumstances.

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
<strong>I own Metal Slug and BTG on home cart. Even before i bought them I never wanted a conversion. It was the homecart or the MVS cart or the CD.

There is no argument. You are either going to buy worthless conversion that are not collectible items and spend more, or put your money where your mouth is and buy the MVS carts. Because if you buy conversions for games readily available on MVS, you are either a hypocrite or a fool.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've gotta agree with Charlie on this one. Whether or not you care about collectibility (I honestly don't think that's the issue), conversions don't make sense. Chances are, if you want a conversion you want it out of practicality (in this case an MS convert is cheaper than the real thing). But if you were really interested in practicality... why on earth would you buy a conversion? Conversion will easily run you a couple bills... whereas the MVS cart can be had for much cheaper, as can the Saturn or PSX versions.

The only thing I can maybe understand is for unreleased home cart version. Personally, I'd still rather have the original MVS versions, but that's just me.

I'm not saying you're wrong Sal. You can do whatever you want with your stuff. I like you a lot Sal and I think you're a good guy, so I'm in no way attacking you. It's just my opinion.

I'll probably never own MS or BTG on homecart. I'd love to, but I just can't afford it :( . So MVS for me.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Dude this whole argument about conversions is just sickening to read.

He wanted a those games on the Home Cart format, cause he probably loves his AES and wands more AES games.

1.) He bought the carts, his property. There for he has the right to do with them whatever he see's fit.

2.) You claim that an AES cart and a MVS cart had to be destroyed in this process, and thus is not on the market, driving the prices higher. Well how is that different from someone who buys a cart and will never sell it? I'd probably never part with any of my MVS carts now. You want my MOTW? Kiss my ass, unless you're going to pay me some amount of money that is well above what its worth (where I can easily go buy another one and still have a decent profit left over), then the only way you're going to get it is by prying it from my cold dead hands! There are TONS of people here and elsewhere who are like that with just about every cart they own or at least some of them. And they are in fact committing the same "evil" that people who do conversions are supposedly committing.

You want to know what I think it is? Seriously I think it's anger at what's being achieved and at what price. When conversions become available the price of the real thing will inevitably come down if they are truely over-valued (and most collectable carts are).

The only real problem that I can see with conversions is that people are scared of getting ripped off KyokugenStar style, except instead of a crappy insert they'd get a SNK quality style one that they'd never be able to tell the difference. It's actually pretty easy to do, and I wouldn't be surprized if quite a few of these have been sold w/o anyone's knowledge, considering it can be done and you'd never be able to tell, even if you opened up the cart.

However I feel that argument is invalid as well. Simply because if someone rips off someone else by selling a conversion they bought as legit, it's not the fault of the "converter". Its like suing the manufacturer of butcher knives when one is used to kill someone. Just cause the knife can be used for ill-intent that is not its intended purpose doesn't mean that it shouldn't be made.

Peace

JHendrix