Does the Neo look like crap on an HDTV?

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Having experimented a little bit with a friends HDTV and 2D games like Alpha 3 and CvS2 I'm a little put off by the idea that getting a HDTV (Direct view) would make the Neo look like pure shite if I picked up a HDTV instead of a normal flatscreen.

I know some of you guys here have some nice HDTV setups and I'm wondering how happy you are with how it display's your Neo's output (I'd be using S-Video for display).

Also you might be able to help me decide another question, 32" HDTV or a 36" Flat Screen?

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
While I do have a nice HD set { a Samsung 30'TXN3071WHF } I dont have a Neo hooked up to it. Since the Neo's resolution will never change I dont think its going to matter much what tv its running on as long at the tv puts out a decent picture to begin with.

As for what to buy size wise ?

Well if you like movies, all I can say is LETTERBOX ! 4.3 really sucks in comparrison to 16.9 ,seriously grab a 30 or 34' 16.9 tv they really make larger 4.3 sets look like shit.

I haven't done it on a HDTV, but when I've used an XRGB-2 upscan converter it looks poor if you have the converter interpolate to remove the scan lines.

Essentially the HDTV will do the same, so you will see a false doubling of the vertical resolution. With pixels so big already...

B

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
My friend has a KILLER Toshiba 36" HDTV, and yep, you guessed it, any kind of old-school 2D game looks like absolute shit. We played a bunch of Dreamcast 2D fighters (LB2, MvC, MvC2, SFA3, SF3DI, SF3-TS) and they ALL looked horrible.
Same thing with my S-Vid modded MegaDrive.

Since the modded MegaDrive and Neo sport such a similar picture, I imagine the Neo would look just as bad. I think if quality 2D gaming is something that's important to you, you may want to look into getting an X-RGB unit. With the right cables, old systems look utterly fuggin' amazing on any SVGA monitor with one.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Loopz:
My friend has a KILLER Toshiba 36" HDTV, and yep, you guessed it, any kind of old-school 2D game looks like absolute shit. We played a bunch of Dreamcast 2D fighters (LB2, MvC, MvC2, SFA3, SF3DI, SF3-TS) and they ALL looked horrible.
Same thing with my S-Vid modded MegaDrive.

Since the modded MegaDrive and Neo sport such a similar picture, I imagine the Neo would look just as bad. I think if quality 2D gaming is something that's important to you, you may want to look into getting an X-RGB unit. With the right cables, old systems look utterly fuggin' amazing on any SVGA monitor with one.
And you can use the XRGB to get scanlines on an HDTV. :D

5thlion5thlion

Bead Banger
i have a set up on a high def projector it pumps out max of 300 inches but i got it at 120inches an i have to say it looks awsome ill try to provide picks tonight

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
bottom line:

hd sets (any type)....BAD!

analog flat screen sets...you guesed it...BAD!

surprised?
thing is the line doubling systems of hd tv's are a huge no-no for game systems (sans the latest) and even alnalog flat tubes can some time be an eyesore as there is more space (ie: black lines) in between the active lines of resolution causing for a sub-par image. they also have a tendancy to cot graphics off around the edges along the invar shadow mask (resulting in choped off life bars in fighters and such).

the bottom line is: as far as consumer tv's go, older analog sets like sony trinitron, panasonic superflat (which is not truly flat) are the best at displaying the tyhese type of graffix. once you find one, cherish it, cause it won't last forever.

You also have the problem that they look shite but the "best" you are going to get is a display the doubles and alises the verticle resolution (you can see this effect by running a neo game in MAME* at double resolution). its far better than scanlines but you get a blurry effect and all the crispness is gone, oh_no not good oh_no

*don't bitch at me i have an AES and an MVS but it's great for screen-grabbing

<small>[ May 30, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Voltamp ]</small>

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
J, you saw my neo hooked up through the xrgb at Quixo's house, that's pretty much what it will look like on a HDTV(through an rgb input of course). If we wind up having another nj get together I'm sure I'll bring my stuff again if you don't remember how it looked.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Just about anything looks good on my 43" DLP set, as long as the original signal is clean.

Yes, this includes Neo games.

All signals are upconverted to 1280x720p.

TriShield

Host for Orochi
Good question.

I have a non-HD Sony Trinitron Wega XBR with a 36 inch screen and the picture with my old consoles is excellent.

I was thinking of upgrading to a 40 inch Sony Wega XBR (all XBRs are HD now) and thought it would look even better with a S-Video connection.

Now I'm not so sure...

JHendrix

Talen:
J, you saw my neo hooked up through the xrgb at Quixo's house, that's pretty much what it will look like on a HDTV(through an rgb input of course). If we wind up having another nj get together I'm sure I'll bring my stuff again if you don't remember how it looked.
That looked excellent from what I remember.

BTW, I'm hosting a get together rather soon but it'll be after I get the TV so we're not sqinting. wink

dr.r.muckly

Galford's Armourer
So if I buy an expensive plasma screen my Neo Geo will look like sh!t?!?!
What can I do to get it to look good on a HD tv- plasma or otherwise?
Can plasma screens upconverted to 1280x720p like Bishamons tv?

<small>[ May 30, 2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: dr.r.muckly ]</small>

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
dr.r.muckly:
So if I buy an expensive plasma screen my Neo Geo will look like sh!t?!?!
What can I do to get it to look good on a HD tv- plasma or otherwise?
Can plasma screens upconverted to 1280x720p like Bishamons tv?
Most plasma displays only run ED (extended definition) resolution like 852x480p, and are not true HD (which is 1280x720p or 1920x1080i).

More expensive plasma screens will run 1280x720p.

Plasma screens aren't well suited to computer or videogame use because they are susceptible to burn-in.

IMO, the only 'large' screen technologies to consider (because they are unaffected by burn-in) are fixed-pixel displays such as LCD, DLP, and LCoS. Current LCD and DLP sets upconvert signals to 1280x720p, and the Toshiba LCoS upconverts to 1920x1080p (yes, that's 1080p, not 1080i).

Xero

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
muckly, DO NOT get a plasma unit if you are going to use it for games. You will get a burn in for sure. If you are getting a HDTV for games get a DLP set or a LCD set.

JHendrix, if you get a HDTV and you hook up your Neo to S-Video, it may not look the best that it could. That is because the TV is made for better and you will be able to see the diffrence. Try and get a XRGB if you can.
BTW what set are you looking at?

.....and the Toshiba LCoS upconverts to 1920x1080p (yes, that's 1080p, not 1080i). [/QB]
Point me to this magical wonder of a TV you speak of. I must see it to beleive it.

Criterionradiohead wink

TriShield

Host for Orochi
If the connection is S-Video for the Neo, then I think the games should look just fine on an HD TV.

At least with the Sonys, they only enhance video sources that use component video, not composite or S-video connections.

JHendrix

This is currently the HDTV that I'm considering:

<a href="http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11218199&m=1&cat=24&scat=26" target="_blank">http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11218199&m=1&cat=24&scat=26</a>

Anyone here have this unit, I'm hoping so since its a pretty popular model. And please no Sony bashing, the unit gets high customer ratings from all the sites as well as insane reviews from independant reviews such as cnet and the like.

JHendrix, I had a guy come from New Jersey to St. Louis to calibrate my HD set last year. He was very respected on the ISF scene so I trust his opinion.

I asked him what set he'd recommend for a direct-view, b/c my mom wanted to buy one. He didn't hesitate at all to recommend the 40" Sony HD set. I don't know if it's similar to the 36 you're looking at but he REALLY liked the 40.

Good luck

B

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
brentsg:
JHendrix, I had a guy come from New Jersey to St. Louis to calibrate my HD set last year. He was very respected on the ISF scene so I trust his opinion.

I asked him what set he'd recommend for a direct-view, b/c my mom wanted to buy one. He didn't hesitate at all to recommend the 40" Sony HD set. I don't know if it's similar to the 36 you're looking at but he REALLY liked the 40.

Good luck

B
the 40 is absolutely bad ass.....yet,unfortunately, very unreliable :(

had to replace ours 3 or 4 times over where I work.

NEOFREAK9189

Sakura's Bank Manager
20 Year Member
considering to buy HDTV 16.9

is possible to mod the neogeo whit component video cable??

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
JHendrix:
This is currently the HDTV that I'm considering:

<a href="http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11218199&m=1&cat=24&scat=26" target="_blank">http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11218199&m=1&cat=24&scat=26</a>

Anyone here have this unit, I'm hoping so since its a pretty popular model. And please no Sony bashing, the unit gets high customer ratings from all the sites as well as insane reviews from independant reviews such as cnet and the like.
That's a good TV, my cousin has two of them and he is thinking of buying a third one.

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
Bishamon:
Just about anything looks good on my 43" DLP set, as long as the original signal is clean.

Yes, this includes Neo games.

All signals are upconverted to 1280x720p.
I have an InFocus LP500 DLP and my AES looks great on it. I have also hooked up my Super NES, PS2, GCN, and X-box and everything is good.

True it requires more room for it but is well worth it if you can afford the price and the space

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
S-video is a piece of shit, no matter what type of TV you plug it in... :D

Just surrender to the power of European RGB TVs! buttrock

MWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! lol

Seriously, in any case the AES looked very nice at Rev's house. Another NJ get-togther? Sorry, you'll have to do it without me as this Monday I'm going to Newcastle UK instead of Pittsbugh as I did last year. Enjoy!