MVS Real & Fake Cart ?

cry4dawn

New Challenger
I have about 5 MVS carts and of course the ? comes up are these real or bootlegs. I opened them all up and all the circuit boards do bear the SNK name on them. So does this mean they are real MVS carts. How would you know if you had a bootleg MVS cart? Would it not bear the SNK name on the circuit board or do even the fakes bear this..

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
mostly look for hand-soldered joints, EEPROMS that are where the MASK ROMS should be, and wires.

A real cart wouldn't have a single wire in it, but when you're doing a 'cheap' run of boots, you design it as best you can, then you fix them after the fact, rather than making another run of cart like professionals usually would.

SNK did use some EPROMS (with the window) in thier carts, but most of the chips should be mask-roms. They just look like a standard black chip with little white writing on them. An EEPROM can look just about the same, as it's programmed electronically. The big give-away is when you have a 'window'(wich looks just like you'd expect a window in a chip to look) on all the chips. That means that they didn't have the money to produce in large quantity.

Daisuke Jigen

R.I.P.,, Dear Friend,
I have an original Aerofighters 2 that has one blue wire in it. All the ROM chips are legit too.