If you own a Super Nova, I need your help!

Earthquake

SouthTown StreetSweeper
Anyone who's been around the tech forum lately knows that I've been trying to learn as much as possible about the Super Nova. So if anyone here owns one, I have a simple question for you that won't take up to much of your time. In Massystem's description of the SN, they say that it comes 6 button Street Fighter 2 ready to support most arcade games. Does this mean that every JAMMA board that uses more than 3 buttons (JAMMA+) such as Mortal Kombat 2 will work right away with the SN?

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
Nope, an out of the box super nova will play standard jamma games, neo games, and cps-1 games without any modification. You would need to wire up any other jamma+ boards(mk games, cps2/3, etc...) yourself.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
6-button games will not work right away... boards like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat have an extra (kick) harness connector in addition to the jamma connector. In order to hook up the extra buttons to the Supernova, you need to get the kick harness for whatever arcade board you are using and hook it up to the smaller harness coming out of the Supernova.

That's why the system is 6-button ready, if not for the small harness, you'd have to wire the kick harness directly to the sticks.

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: neojedi ]</p>

Earthquake

SouthTown StreetSweeper
Thanks for the help guys! I also posted this message in the tech forum, but since it's usually dead, I decided to also try it here. Someone said that Mortal Kombat 2 will not work correctly even with it's own "kick harness" because the Nova doesn't have enough power to support it's sound board. Is this true? MK2 was the game I was getting the Nova for in the first place.

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: Earthquake ]</p>

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I don't know about MK2 itself, but the case you describe is entirely possible, the Nova has problems with boards that require certain voltages (ie 6-slot MVS will not run unless a resistor is removed).

The Sigma is the only supergun I know of with a voltage adjustment... I'm in the process of migrating from a Nova to a Sigma 6000 (Neo controllers, but no 5/6-button games). I think the 7000 has custom 6-button controllers but can't use Neo controllers.

Earthquake

SouthTown StreetSweeper
Does anyone here own MK2 and a supergun. If so, which supergun are you using and do you have any problems with MK2?

Rigel

The Ultimate 11
Originally posted by Earthquake:
<strong>Does anyone here own MK2 and a supergun. If so, which supergun are you using and do you have any problems with MK2?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I own a supergun, and MK2. I am missing a cable for the sound-board though, so I don't get sound. I see no reason why the sound wouldn't work though. I also have MK1, and an NBA Jam TE board (both have the same sound-board/main-board set-up as MK2) and the sound works fine on both of those.

I built my supergun myself.

Earthquake

SouthTown StreetSweeper
So MK2 uses it's own separate sound harness? Are there other games like this?

Rigel

The Ultimate 11
Originally posted by Earthquake:
<strong>So MK2 uses it's own separate sound harness? Are there other games like this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, maybe I didn't explain it correctly.

For many Midway games (mainly the MK series since that's what you're more interested in) there are two circuit boards. One main board for the game, and a seperate sound board. The sound board hooks up to the main board, and ONLY to the main board.

There are two connections that run from the sound board to the main board. A small ribbon cable, and several wires (usually bundled together) that run to and from the larger, vertical pins each board.

The JAMMA harness (or the entire supergun for that matter) does not connect to the sound board at all, only to the main board. So the only connections you should have to the game (from the supergun) are the JAMMA edge, and the "kick harness" for additional buttons.

Earthquake

SouthTown StreetSweeper
The following is a pic of a MK2 PCB that's up for auction on ebay:

Mvc036s.jpg

It looks to include the PCB, sound board, and ribbon along with the other required sound cables. I'm posting this pic to see if it has all of the required parts as I'm thinking about picking this up. I know that it requires Midway's special MK kick harness, but I don't know where I can get one. Any help would be appreciated!

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: Earthquake ]</p>