Do you play old systems more than new ones?

twodeepuzzler

Geese's Thug
I wonder at some times why I even own an xbox or ps2, because of the amount of dust they collect. Lately I've been playing SS2 in an attempt to get to the end boss in less than 4 credits. To me, older games seem more challenging and rewarding than the spoonfeeding going on by new games. Look at Enter the Matrix and The Getaway. Both games let your health replenish by simply standing there for a few seconds. Where's the challenge?

I don't know. Maybe I'm just ranting on, but current games just don't satisfy me anymore. Anyone else feel this way?

Lovecraft0110

Ace Gho,
20 Year Member
Yeah, I feel exactly the same. I had been a great fan of videogames in my childhood and teenage days, then I almost stopped playing any games apart from PC ones. Since I "rediscovered" the pleasure of retro-videogames a couple of years ago, I almost don't play anything else.

So, yeah, 2-D gaming RULES!

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I love the Neo, so I play that every now and then. The saturn gets alot of playtime b/c I have so many games for it... PSX, not so much anymore but the RPGs are very time consuming wink

Fuck yea dude!

Maybe it is because I haven't bought a new system since 1995, but thats besides the point...

I still play my Nomad on occasion, and play NES games via YAME 0.38 on my Dell Axim X5 Pocket PC and sometimes Turbo Express

The Old games I play most:
1.) Iron Tank (old SNK goodness)
2.) Starflight (Still my fav space exploration game Genesis)
3.) Final Fantasy 3 (The real one, on Famicom)
4.) Castlevania 1 or 2 (because Castle 3 doesn't run on emu :( )
5.) Metroid (pure genius)
6.) Zelda 2 (still my fav zelda)
7.) Rush N Attack (last level still stress me out:)
8.) Guerilla War (more SNK goodness)
9.) Devil's Crush (teh best f'in pinball game eva)
10.)Dr. Mario (still fun)

twodeepuzzler

Geese's Thug
Yeah, I didn't think I was alone. Its still weird though when I walk into gamestop and want to purchase 'game x' for an old system, only to be met with a blank stare, than if I want to buy 'game y' that sells 2 billion copies and is mindless tripe and the guy's like "oh yeah this game rocks because its what our company wants to sell, and millions of people have bought it so it must be good but i haven't played it but its awesome!!!"

damn, i'm ranting again.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Now that I have time, I'm playing more next gen systems than my old stuff now. That and since we've moved in together I end up playing most of my games w/ my better half during the week days now.

We beat Wind Waker this week, next game lined up to play is Final Fantasy Tactics, then prolly some other RPG. Also started playing DDR a lot again, trying to get back into the groove of beating all the songs on Maniac now.

I play my fighters on the weekends when my buddies come over, we play Neo a lot then but that normally translates to me dominating, so then I pop in MvC2 where I get my ass beat and then we play CvS2 which is much more even with fair amounts of ass whooping on either side.

Then there are the LAN party Fridays where we lug our big ass PC's to a friends house and hookup on the LAN for some FPS goodness. Been playing Ravien Shield and/or Delta Force: Black Hawk Down lately. Those games rock.

Still I try to get some Neo gaming in during the week, but its few and far between although I'd like to get more time to play but its hard since I have to get to bed early in order to wake up for work in the morning.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I choose classics over next generation any damn day. I have retired from the Next Gen scene forever

Genesis-
Vampire Killer/CastleVania: Bloodlines
Splatter House 2 and 3
Sonic series
Contra Hard Corps
TMNT Hyper Stone Hiest

NES
Zelda 1 and 2
Metriod
Punch Out
Mario series

SNES-
Fighter's History
Samurai Shodown
Donkey Kong Country
Mario All-Star
Final Fantasy 3
Chrono Trigger

Neo Geo (OF COURSE!)
Art of Fighting 1 and 2
Fatal Fury 2 and Special
King of the Monsters 1 and 2
Ghost Pilots
Magician Lord drool_2

and so much more...unto that..classics never die...

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Of course. I always relive the glory days of 8-to-16 bit. However, I gotta try something fresh and new sometimes, but I make sure that it's to my liking.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
I personally would be content playing nothing beyond the Saturn. The new systems bore more overall, good games on them, but I just don't have much of an interest with the select few. I'd much rather be playing the Neo Geo, SNES, or Saturn over the next gen stuff.

i feel the exact opposite my old systems are there collecting dust and my xbox is what i always play the main reason is the graphics and the games buttrock

<small>[ May 29, 2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: madskillzSKATER ]</small>

rhiohki

Dodgeball Yakuza
madskillzSKATER:
i feel the exact opposite my old systems are there collecting dust and my xbox is what i always play the main reason is the graphics and the games buttrock
Sure X-box is great. I have one, and I am actually trying to sell it. They have amazing 3D graphics. I play Saturn mostly because I am more prone to 2D games now than 3D. Some may say I am regressing, but I say BAH!!

Lovecraft0110

Ace Gho,
20 Year Member
madskillzSKATER:
Crap. No more needs to be added.

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
It's not really old, but my Dreamcast has been getting more attention than anything lately. And of course the Saturn in a close second. There's really no other way to enjoy the early "VS." games than on a Saturn. But those will soon be out for the new systems anyway. If rumors turn out to be true then X-Men vs. SF, Marvel vs. SF, and Marvel vs. Capcom 1 will be released as a set later this year.

Freelancer

Banned
For me, it goes in cycles. Some weeks I'm absorbed in next gen games, mainly on my XBOX.

Other weeks, I play my NEO AES and MVS systems extensively. I guess the moral of the story, at least according to me, is to have both the new games and the old games on hand at all times! :D

TriShield

Host for Orochi
My old systems get more use, I'll forever be enthralled with the classic platforms I grew up with.

3D is overused, and played out, but there are some excellent new games out there too.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
madskillzSKATER:
and the reason for you being here is? spock
btw : change you f*cking sig. that pic covers almost the whole screen.

Lovecraft0110

Ace Gho,
20 Year Member
supergoose79:
madskillzSKATER:
and the reason for you being here is? spock
btw : change you f*cking sig. that pic covers almost the whole screen.
My thoughts exactly. Why be here then, in the first place? go to gamefucks, or whatever those forums are called...heh

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
madskillzSKATER:
oh_no

Another retarded moron, just what we needed.

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
These days I spend more time playing a few PC driving sims than anything else. I get the itch to play my Neo about 2 times a week and usually spend 2 hours or so each time. I havent touched my GC in about a solid month now, Im just incredibly bored with the new generation console games at the moment { yes even Zelda },It all just feels like more of the same annoyed

I do however spend the greatist percentage of my newer console gaming time on my PS cabinet playing the Namco Classics disc's and the Atari Anniversary cd and at this point its about the only reason I still own a PS at all.

Sure graphics are nice but GamePlay is my only real concern ,without gameplay graphics are worthless !

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
I pretty much bounce back and forth between the classic and next gen systems. Early in the month I was playing the NES and Genesis. But now I'm playing the Neo Geo. Just recently got myself one!

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
90% of my playing goes to my old school systems. I don't really like the newer systems just cause I don't like 3D that much, but I have them because of certain games.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
old stuff only, maybe some DC ikaruga or SF3.

madyorkie

Rugal's Thug
i got a gamecube thats not been switched on since i finished luigis mansion, a ps2 that only plays vice city, but my neo is always on.I also play alot of games on mame, really got into indiana jones and temple of doom since i saw it on tele again bout 3 weeks ago,and i also play alot of speccy games,ah 3d death chase...what a game.
Cant wait for slug 5,thats got to be me next new game.

Hide

Banned
Yeah man.

the only reason i power up my PS2 nowadays is Winning Eleven 6 FE. i don't even touch anything on it anymore. (Period)

most of my playtime goes to the DC, Saturn, and Neo.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I play my new systems the most mainly because i have more games for them. Back in the days of the nes, snes, and genesis i didn't have a lot of cash so as a result i dont have a lot of games from the so called "glory days." I still play my dreamcast occasionally and i play my supergun setup quite a bit. I have a ps2, xbox, and a cube and of all three i find myself playing my gamecube the most.