Some more fan art...

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Here's a couple of my drawings. I did these for the Fan Scene site, but in case you haven't been by there to check them out, here they are:

http://members.spree.com/entertainment/lou_gojira/art/Mai_v.jpg

http://members.spree.com/entertainment/lou_gojira/art/Terry&Mary.jpg

Hope you like 'em.

http://members.spree.com/entertainment/lou_gojira/signatures/banner01.jpg

http://members.spree.com/entertainment/lou_gojira/signatures/Lou_Gojira3.jpg

[This message has been edited by Fat Cat Lim (edited April 22, 2001).]

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Thanks Daigo. I'm working on a few other drawings for Fan Scene for the time being, and I hope you'll like them as well. Hopefully Fan Scene will be back with a bang within a week or so.

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Hey, what the hell happened to my signature and banner? Fat Cat, care to explain?

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Very good stuff, Lou. I hope Fan Scene will be back up soon. I tried to go there several times recently, but the link does not work. What happened to the place?

------------------
-BioMotor_Unitron
ani_u_tan_kun.gif

Coming To Theatres This Summer: Chimps Packing Heat: The Movie

P

Professor_Mayhem

I'll tell you what happened. I was driving back home after buying a new computer monitor when some lady pulls out in front of me. I rear-ended her and now I can't drive. With no way to get around my bills went unpaid. But don't worry, Fan Scene will be up soon enough. A Bigger, Badder, Better Fan Scene that is. Hehehehehe

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Thanks for the kind words Biomotor. Fan Scene will hopefully be back up soon. I hope everybody likes what they will soon see. It should be interesting...

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Professor_Mayhem:
I'll tell you what happened. I was driving back home after buying a new computer monitor when some lady pulls out in front of me. I rear-ended her and now I can't drive. With no way to get around my bills went unpaid. But don't worry, Fan Scene will be up soon enough. A Bigger, Badder, Better Fan Scene that is. Hehehehehe

Wait a second. Are you The Rev? I recall seeing another post of yours that made me think something along these lines. Sorry if you are and you announced an ID change, I probably just missed it.
tongue.gif

------------------
-BioMotor_Unitron
ani_u_tan_kun.gif

Coming To Theatres This Summer: Chimps Packing Heat: The Movie
pm_segalogo.gif

P

Professor_Mayhem

The Reverend 330 Mega is dead, well at least his mind is anyway. HahahAhahAhAhAha!!!! Fan Scene belongs to me, and with it under MY control things are going to get interesting!!! Ya gotta love it!!!! And another thing and another thing and another thing, hey Biomotor. A man came up to me and said he hadn't had a bite in weeks. SO I SHOT HIM!!! YEEEEAAAH!!!!

Dammit, I can't post a signature pic here! ARRRRRRGH!!!

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy
Lou: Your stuff is really good. This is on the computer right? You seem to demonstrate a good knowledge of color as well as the use of subtle textures.(terry jacket)

The mai one was cool except I just didn't like the rendering of her face. And since you did a nice job of coloring the bodys, theres no need to leave the eyes white, maybe just a subtle shadow?

I really liked the terry and mary one. It shows your understanding of figure and observation of life. I'm not sure your understanding is of a ground up anatomical nature, but that of learning how things are from what you've seen. What I'm getting at is if you have the fundamental knowledge of how the skeletal structure, fat, skin, and muscle relate to each other. I'm not dissing your skills.

Also the tery and mary one, the green wall and black floor are unessasary. You've tryed to bring them into the composition, but they're not. Even though you've colored them, they still are apart of it. The composition is terry, mary, bomberman, and the couch/coat. If your gonna put the figures in space, the space has to be believable. Look at your room, there's crap on the floor, shelves, tables, desks, books, mags lying around. When you figure out what you want to put in it. Determine whether or not its to character. ex. Iori's apt. would have a mat, a black walls, a guitar, and a blinking light. Kyo would have maybe a trunk, pictures of his girl and shingo, text books, etc

You could say, get rid of the bg. ANd have just the figures arranged to an interesting shape? For a project I did, I had a guy pulling a streched dollar bill from a computer(about ebay), fighting for it. The compostition was a top down view of the computer, the man back arched pulling his money from it, the desk the comp sits on, and a rug the man is standing on, and a little bit of floor molding. That in itself created an interesting shape, like a trapazoid. If I had added other things the impact might be less, there's a struggle between to forces, guy and ebay. The same can said for Terry and Mary, the bg is a distraction from the two. But the overall concept is delivered perfect, Terry's love for Mary, and how strong it is(obviously very strong).

Thats all I can think of now, I hope I didn't come off as a harsh or elitist, know it all.

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
You didn't come off as harsh or elitist at all Black Hayato. Hey man, I love constructive criticism, it keeps me on my toes and keeps my art from stagnating. The thing is, I totally agree with you on the background aspect of the Terry and Mary pic.

Originally, I had planned a background that included among other things a dart board with a picture of Geese on it. But with this pic, I ran into some serious problems. I had originally done the drawing using color inks and color pencils, then scanned it into the computer to do some photo-shop effects on it. The problem was, I had overworked the color pencil to the point that I pretty much had my hands tied on photo-shop, and this was frustrating because I wanted some of the realism you could attain on photo-shop. So, I set about reworking aspects of Terry and Mary, and by the time I got to the background after several weeks, I had this "f**k it, I'm tired of it" mind set. So, I put that background in, because I've kinda' got a phobia of open spaces when it comes to my art. (i.e. I'm scared to leave a white background)

But that's the cool thing about art, you can just pick up and go again whenever you fall back. I'm working on some new stuff, and I hope you'll like that when you see it, and hopefully that'll be real soon.

By the way, my anatomy is something I'm always working on. I'm seriously thinking about buying a Bridgeman anatomy book. You heard of that? I was originally planning to get "Dynamic Anatomy" by Hogarth, but Dennis Cramer (the artist of Mara)told me in an e-mail that Bridgeman was much more recommended. Is there any book or anything you'd recommend? Thanks again...

*fixed some grammar*

[This message has been edited by Lou Gojira (edited April 30, 2001).]

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy
Bridgeman is a good book. I really dont know what anatomy books to recommend. At least your thinking about things.

Honeychan

Rugal's Thug
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lou Gojira:

By the way, my anatomy is something I'm always working on. I'm seriously thinking about buying a Bridgeman anatomy book. You heard of that? I was originally planning to get "Dynamic Anatomy" by Hogarth, but Dennis Cramer (the artist of Mara)told me in an e-mail that Bridgeman was much more recommended.

[This message has been edited by Lou Gojira (edited April 30, 2001).]

I just wanted to give my own personal opinion on the Hogarth anatomy books: they're totally indespensable to me! I'm no great artist, but those books really helped me understand alot of angles, proportions and structure. I'll want to take a look at the Bridgeman book now, just to compare.

Nice work there, Lou. Keep up the good work!!!

Honeychan

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Hey Honeychan, I just picked up the Bridgman book a few days ago (sorry I couldn't reply to your post sooner), and I have to say that it will help you. Where Hogarth and Bridgman differ is that Bridgman is definatly more rooted in the real world. We're talking classic anatomy studies here, and down to the bare bones and basics of art. In other words, Hogarth literally helps your art get "dynamic", where I can see Bridgman's helping you just get a little more convincing with your art. My cousin used the Hogarth books years ago, and his art improved practically 100%. I'm planning on getting a couple of the Hogarth series sooner or later, but for now I'll be practicing with the Bridgman. It was only $6.95 in paper back. Recommended!

LeonaMargoyle

NEST Puppet
I had no idea that Bonk and Bomberman were such perverts o_O;;

Good work Gojira. I've never seen your work before. You have an interesting style.... and you color VERY smoothly. What do you use? It kind of looks like colored pencil/CG... But yes, your work looks very professional.

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Thank you for the compliments Leona. Very flattering... :)

How I colored the two drawings here is a combination of colored pencil and computer effects. The Mai and Andy drawing was a sort of experiment with the different opacities you could get on photo-shop. I layed out all the "foundational shadows" in colored pencil, then went back and put layers of color set at different opacities to make the figures look more solid. The background was done entirely on computer using filters on the sand and water, then the sky was done using gradients and white airbrush.

The Terry and Mary pic was done almost entirely in colored pencil. I tried some of the opacity effects on the figures in this one, but I abandoned that early on and mainly used that effect on the couch and some on Bomberman. My personal favorite part of this drawing is Terry's vest, because by that point I'd finally invested in a light pen and started doing the color straight up on the computer, and not just adding color to drawings with the mouse. I also used filters on Terry's vest and the carpet on the floor. Special thanks go to Professor Mayhem for showing me how to impose the cover onto the magazine Mary's looking at. That "cover" is my first drawing ever done on computer (and boy is it obvious! ;)). ALL the coloring in it was done with my mouse. I'm not knocking the mouse for computer drawings, but to me it's like being right handed and having to draw with my left, I just can't let it flow naturally.

I'm currently working on some new art for the Fan Scene site that I hope you'll like. I hope you'll be there when Fan Scene goes back up to see it, as well as everybody else's creative efforts. Watch for it! It's coming any day now...

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Thanks Orochi Tigresa. Glad to hear you liked the drawings. Oh, and by the way, you folks can call me Lou if you don't mind. Fewer letter for you to type anyway. ;) Thanks...

Xiang Fei

n00b
Those are really good lou!I can't think about Bonk the same way after that one where he stole the bikini though.

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Thanks Li. The original idea I had on that drawing was to have Bonk tugging at the bottom of Mai's bikini with his teeth while she was still wearing it (ala the old coppertone ad). But, not only was that a way harder pose to draw out, it would've bordered on "adults only" if Mai's butt got exposed, which it would've. Hope I don't taint your view of that lil' guy forever! :)