It should be called SNK vs capcom, like.....

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
In the neo pocket version, lets face it we are for the most part SNK fans, and its safe to say we are a little biased, BUT HEY,
were SNK fans, SNK IS NO UNDERDOG TO CAPCOM!
This is obvious because such stupidity arises that capcom has run out of ideas, The result?? button mashers, how many street fighters can be made before people learn its the same "damn" thing over and over again....
And hidden warrior if M.bison asks you to join shadowloo, destroy him. What sickens me is that i have been a neo fan for years and to see in these dumb magazines (YOU NAME IT) constant comparison to capcom fighters for those who think fatal fury came second you are wrong.
Fatal fury was indevelopement before sf2,
How do you identify a capcom fighter???, its simple, nothing has changed years of gameplay and innovations squandered do to lazy programmers in honesty i think SNK vs CAPCOM was never meant to be, because SNK is in a league of its own. What bugs me the most is the way that they say "snk ripped off capcom with kof" its the exact opposite if it had not been for them ripping off the teams idea, you would never see marvel vs capcom 2 or any of that series its all a boorowed concept.
Just be thankful you joined a community that loves SNK , because snk makes games the fans will enjoy, Capcom makes games for PURE PROFIT they have no soul or care in there product and it shows.

Krusader

Rugal's Thug
SNK vs Capcom is a Neo Geo Pocket game.

It DOES exist, and it is different from Capcom vs SNK (The name of the company who made the game comes first in this case).

Any other SNK vs Capcom games made by SNK would most likely be sequels for the NGP.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Why must people tell you things you already know and explained many times????

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy
LWK: I dont care how you feel about who stole what. Or whether FF came before SF2. And 3 interchangable/switching characters w/ 3 different assists, isn't a borrowed concept of teams of 3, 1on1 fighting.

But to say there's no soul or care in their products, to dismiss the hard work ppl have put into the games is wrong. And Capcom(JP) does list to the fans, where did you think the MVC roster came from. Your obviously not playing the games to see it. You dont realize or care how intertwined the 2 are. Like yin & yang.

But hey, if thats how you like it so be it.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Black_Hayato:
LWK: I dont care how you feel about who stole what. Or whether FF came before SF2. And 3 interchangable/switching characters w/ 3 different assists, isn't a borrowed concept of teams of 3, 1on1 fighting.

But to say there's no soul or care in their products, to dismiss the hard work ppl have put into the games is wrong. And Capcom(JP) does list to the fans, where did you think the MVC roster came from. Your obviously not playing the games to see it. You dont realize or care how intertwined the 2 are. Like yin & yang.

But hey, if thats how you like it so be it.

Ill tell you where that roster came from laziness, and sprite ripping.

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy
There was a poll to determine who would be in the game. There would be fighters from the other games of course. Strider was brought back from 1989 cause the ppl wanted him. A character I thought I wouldn't see again and even a sequel came about. It didn't sell all that well, but the ppl who were fans of the original bought it. They didn't want to release FF revenge, there was no money to be made in such a crappy game, but the ppl wanted it, and there was only a few thousand copys made. There is care and fan apprieciation, you just dont want to acknowledge it.

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lord Wolfgang Krauser:
because snk makes games the fans will enjoy, Capcom makes games for PURE PROFIT they have no soul or care in there product and it shows.

You can't be serious about that... SNK and Capcom are both companies. The bottom line in any company is profit. That's what business is; making profit - any ideas to the contrary are just romanticized inventions.

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lord Wolfgang Krauser:
In the neo pocket version, lets face it we are for the most part SNK fans, and its safe to say we are a little biased, BUT HEY,
were SNK fans, SNK IS NO UNDERDOG TO CAPCOM!
This is obvious because such stupidity arises that capcom has run out of ideas, The result?? button mashers, how many street fighters can be made before people learn its the same "damn" thing over and over again....
And hidden warrior if M.bison asks you to join shadowloo, destroy him. What sickens me is that i have been a neo fan for years and to see in these dumb magazines (YOU NAME IT) constant comparison to capcom fighters for those who think fatal fury came second you are wrong.
Fatal fury was indevelopement before sf2,
How do you identify a capcom fighter???, its simple, nothing has changed years of gameplay and innovations squandered do to lazy programmers in honesty i think SNK vs CAPCOM was never meant to be, because SNK is in a league of its own. What bugs me the most is the way that they say "snk ripped off capcom with kof" its the exact opposite if it had not been for them ripping off the teams idea, you would never see marvel vs capcom 2 or any of that series its all a boorowed concept.
Just be thankful you joined a community that loves SNK , because snk makes games the fans will enjoy, Capcom makes games for PURE PROFIT they have no soul or care in there product and it shows.

Aha... but even if Fatal Fury was in development before SFII, I can guarantee that Street Fighter was in development before Fatal Fury. And SFII bears much resemblence in game structure to the original Street Fighter.

And Street Fighter has NOT been the same thing for years. The Street Fighter franchise is WAY more varied than ANYTHING SNK puts out. You have Street Fighter, Street Fighter II, Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter EX, Street Fighter III, and even Street Fighter 2010. If you think that all of these games are the same, you are flat-out wrong.

And, other than you, who gives a rat's ass if the DC game is named Capcom vs. SNK? SNK named "there" game SNK vs. Capcom... and Capcom switched the name around because they made it. Big deal! It's nothing to whine about.

--Riot--

S

ShinIoriYagami

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krusader:
SNK vs Capcom is a Neo Geo Pocket game.

Personally i think it's better that the Dreamcast version.

Gaseous Snake

New Challenger
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Apathy Wind:

You can't be serious about that... SNK and Capcom are both companies. The bottom line in any company is profit. That's what business is; making profit - any ideas to the contrary are just romanticized inventions.

But there's different ways to go about making dosh. You could try to be inventive and change the gameplay system year by year, to keep players interested (KoF style), or just add more characters, more supers, bigger combos, easier combos(MvC2 style) - you know, the type of thing that appeals to the lamers.

Gaseous Snake

New Challenger
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RiotoftheBlood:

And Street Fighter has NOT been the same thing for years. The Street Fighter franchise is WAY more varied than ANYTHING SNK puts out. You have Street Fighter, Street Fighter II, Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter EX, Street Fighter III, and even Street Fighter 2010. If you think that all of these games are the same, you are flat-out wrong.

But apart from SFII, all the other games SUCK! Capcom ran out of good ideas long, long ago...

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gaseous Snake:
But apart from SFII, all the other games SUCK! Capcom ran out of good ideas long, long ago...

Actually, character wise; I enjoyed Zero 1 and the SF3s more that SF2 sans the Supers. And what's in a name anyway?

---------------------------------------------

"Don't be scared! I'll only cut off one of your heads! Guess!"

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
But there's different ways to go about making dosh. You could try to be inventive and change the gameplay system year by year, to keep players interested (KoF style), or just add more characters, more supers, bigger combos, easier combos(MvC2 style) - you know, the type of thing that appeals to the lamers.

First off, it's not fair to compare KoF to MvC2. Any serious fighter will come off better than a flash fighter.

Secondly, I love the KoF series but the gameplay system has not changed too significantly (strikers aside - and they are wide regarded as a negative change) since it's inception in 94. Maybe a new roll here and a advance or counter mode there. I'd say it hasn't changed that much more then the SF series has (with it's own minor changes - custom combos, selectable isms, parrying, EX specials etc.). Thing is, none of these games have really strayed that far from their original states. That's one of the reasons fighters have fallen in popularity with the non-hardcore fighter majority. Most of those gamers would be hard pressed to see a significant difference between SSF2:T and SF3:3S or KoF95 and KoF98.

Finally, regarding my earlier comment about business - all I'm saying is these companies release these games (be it new and innovative or old and rehash) because they feel it will make them money. They only care about the fans in that they want to at least maintain their established consumer base. So if it's popular and earns a profit chances are good you'll see a future installment. Hence the ongoing KoF/SF/Mvwhatever series. They don't want to get too innovative least they disrupt their consumer base. It's just like New Coke.

[This message has been edited by Apathy Wind (edited April 22, 2001).]

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy

First off, it's not fair to compare KoF to MvC2. Any serious fighter will come off better than a flash fighter.

Secondly, I love the KoF series but the gameplay system has not changed too significantly (strikers aside - and they are wide regarded as a negative change) since it's inception in 94. Maybe a new roll here and a advance or counter mode there. I'd say it hasn't changed that much more then the SF series has (with it's own minor changes - custom combos, selectable isms, parrying, EX specials etc.). Thing is, none of these games have really strayed that far from their original states. That's one of the reasons fighters have fallen in popularity with the non-hardcore fighter majority. Most of those gamers would be hard pressed to see a significant difference between SSF2:T and SF3:3S or KoF95 and KoF98.

Finally, regarding my earlier comment about business - all I'm saying is these companies release these games (be it new and innovative or old and rehash) because they feel it will make them money. They only care about the fans in that they want to at least maintain their established consumer base. So if it's popular and earns a profit chances are good you'll see a future installment. Hence the ongoing KoF/SF/Mvwhatever series. They don't want to get too innovative least they disrupt their consumer base. It's just like New Coke.

[This message has been edited by Apathy Wind (edited April 22, 2001).]

My thoughts exactly. KoF, SF, MVC, same damn skeleton.

Krusader

Rugal's Thug
*SMACK*

D'oh! I should've read your post more clearly. I skimmed it and missed your opening sentence.

Well I like both Capcom and SNK, although I grew up with Capcom and only got to know SNK in the past couple years. Capcom isn't just a soulless corporation like many other companies have turned to become (Square, Konami). Capcom does continue to make many games, and yes, for profit. But isn't that the goal of every company?

The difference here is that Capcom DOES listen to the fans. If they were in it solely for the money, they would've abandoned the Dreamcast and Saturn long ago since the PS is "The way to go". Capcom supports all the consoles out there.

If they were in it for the money, their games wouldn't be this cheap either. They're not charging an arm and a leg for their games. Cannon Spike came out at a relatively cheap price.

All in all, I do see Capcom as trying to make a quick buck with some half-assed games (Sometimes, not all the time), but it doesn't make them heartless or cold. They still look to the fans, and that's what counts.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I like the fact that we have our own opinions but i do beleive if i never knew either company existed i would choose snk because of the art and hard work they put into each game. characters are not "cartoons" such as capcoms marvel series etc. etc. I dont hate capcom but idislike there fighters there steryotyped to appeal to teenagers, in which SNK makes games for the general crowd, i beleive that its a more respectful way to profit, but I dont think Capcom is a hopeless company but even magazines and biased reveiwers are starting to wonder "Is anything changed since 92'" at least on the cretiveity level "NO"

Gaseous Snake

New Challenger
I seem to have started a bun-fight...

Changing from dodging to rolling was a huge change that completely changes the way the game was played.
And of course they haven't strayed that far from the template. Because the template is that of the 2D fighter. A lot of fans jumped on the 3D bandwagon precisely because they saw it as different and hence automatically better. Plus 3 is a bigger number than 2 so it must be superior, right?
If they can't see the difference from SF3 and KoF then they're not all that serious about it and will play all games in the same generic way. They will never get the most out of a game. I'd go as far as to say that they shouldn't bother playing.

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
I seem to have started a bun-fight...

Changing from dodging to rolling was a huge change that completely changes the way the game was played.

If they can't see the difference from SF3 and KoF then they're not all that serious about it and will play all games in the same generic way. They will never get the most out of a game. I'd go as far as to say that they shouldn't bother playing.

I agree about the rolling versus dodging change - it totally changed the game. Just like parrying did to SF. All I'm saying is there are innovations on both sides but nothing earth shattering that drastically breathes new life in the games. If you weren't a KoF/SF fan before, all the rolling/parrying etc. in the world isn't going to win you over.

Yes casual gamers do miss out on the real value of these games. The types of changes that we've been discussing only really are appreciated by serious fans of the games. But that's the nature of any subtle change, only those with a genuine interest in the subject will note/appreciate the change.

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy
Originally posted by Lord Wolfgang Krauser:
I like the fact that we have our own opinions but i do beleive if i never knew either company existed i would choose snk because of the art and hard work they put into each game.

fair enough

characters are not "cartoons" such as capcoms marvel series etc. etc. I dont hate capcom but idislike there fighters there steryotyped to appeal to teenagers, in which SNK makes games for the general crowd, i beleive that its a more respectful way to profit,

SNk's characters are cartoons, there all cartoons. Your comparing it as realism vs cartoons? There all cartoons, its more like comparing Gundam to Escaflona, Fivestar, and Evangelion. Cause ones based in reality does it make it any less a good show?

General crowd, isn't that the 18-34 demographic? If so, then Capcom appeals to the 10-34, because of idenifiable icons, and the old still play. So is apealing to the young and the old, a disrespectful way to make money?

but I dont think Capcom is a hopeless company but even magazines and biased reveiwers are starting to wonder "Is anything changed since 92'" at least on the cretiveity level "NO"

The mags also see snk, many of the reviews I've read, say its classic, old, and even boring. The new KOFs lack innovation also. The genre is OLD, the play system could stay the same and ppl will be happy. Both lack innovation, but have what keeps the train running. Characters, and good fighting.

[This message has been edited by Black_Hayato (edited April 22, 2001).]

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner

Sure they did. And that's why they are the only company keeping 2D fighting games alive.

Krusader

Rugal's Thug
I can't say that the SNK fighters appeal to the general crowd. If I was still young, I would never go near a KOF game simply because it would not appeal to me. Its filled with teenagers and the art-style isn't even near cartoony. Even with funny characters like Chang, Choi, Bao and Chin, I can't say that many kids would go play it. Its not that kids don't like fighting games either, it just has something to do with KOF and its characters.

Perhaps if the characters were more stereotyped, then they would be more popular to kids. I remember Street Fighter being popluar amongst many kids back in the day. heck, I was one of them. The main reason we all liked it was because everyone was easy to recognize. Guile being the American army dude, E.Honda a Sumo Wrestler, Zangief a Russian Wrestler. It's harder to stereotype the KOF characters. Can you really explain K' in less than 3 words?

All of Capcom's characters are fairly stereotypical and easy to follow. It isn't much for the fans who like to go indepth, but it's great for people to instantly recognize. This is the reason why I think many people in the US like Capcom's fighters over SNK.

fomaman

King's Dry Cleaner
Krauser- Have you ever played/participated
in a Capcom tournament? Do you SUCK at Capcom
games or do you really think they're too easy
or whatever (in itself, a fairly ridiculous
statement because it's all relative to the
player- play a few games against Hsien Chang
or Alex Valle in ANY Capcom fighting game and
I guarantee the challenge will be as great as
any SNK has to offer). I just want to see how
much true experience you have in actually playing tournament style Capcom fighters.

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krusader:
Perhaps if the characters were more stereotyped, then they would be more popular to kids. I remember Street Fighter being popluar amongst many kids back in the day. heck, I was one of them. The main reason we all liked it was because everyone was easy to recognize. Guile being the American army dude, E.Honda a Sumo Wrestler, Zangief a Russian Wrestler. It's harder to stereotype the KOF characters. Can you really explain K' in less than 3 words?

All of Capcom's characters are fairly stereotypical and easy to follow. It isn't much for the fans who like to go indepth, but it's great for people to instantly recognize. This is the reason why I think many people in the US like Capcom's fighters over SNK.

Capcom must have taken this into account when they designed some of the characters for SF3 (ie. Necro, Oro, Twelve, Q). Unforunately, the stereotype seems to be "What the hell is THAT supposed to be?". I can describe them in three words "What the f***?"
biggrin.gif
j/k

[This message has been edited by Apathy Wind (edited April 23, 2001).]

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Can you really explain K' in less than 3 words?

Rejected Crow character.