SNK Characters Vs. Capcom Characters

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
I've heard a lot of people say that this game gives Capcom characters an edge over SNK characters. But here's something that I haven't seen anyone mention. What about using only four buttons for punhes and kicks?

This is the setup that KoF has used since the beginning, but Street Fighter has *never* used until MvC2. I think this is more important than it was in MvC2 anyway, as CvS is a more skill-oriented game, while MvC2 relies more on flash.

Street Fighter vets have to learn a whole new set of combos, using a very different system. Any combo that previously included a mid punh or kick has to be redesigned, or (in most cases) forgotten.

On the other hand, KoF vets are using the system they are familiar with. Sure you can argue that the SNK characters aren't exactly the same as they were in KoF. Still, KoF vets have the upper hand when it comes to dealing out the combos simply because they are already familiar with the four-button layout.

By the way, I realize that I may have a Capcom bias. But that's no reason to dismiss my arguments, and it sure as hell isn't a reason to start flaming me. I am a fan of both comanies and I do own a Neo Geo.

Curious as to what you think of this.
--Riot--

Anecdote

n00b
The 4-button lay-out is a change of pace for Capcom players, true. It takes some getting used to, but I don't think it's a big factor. SNK players don't have a significant edge because of this.

Most (all?) medium (strong/forward) attacks are still in there. Just push back when using a hard attack. Comboing off the medium attacks is slightly trickier now. But not impossible or too difficult.

I don't think KOF players have an edge over the Capcom players. CvS is still very much a Capcom game. Waaay more Capcom than SNK. I think if the SNK-characters didn't have their names showing, most KOF-fans wouldn't even recognise them back.

The way I see it: the Capcom characters are complete characters. None of them are missing moves. The ex versions of the Capcom guys are older versions of the characters. For example EX-Ken plays like Ken from SSFIIT.

The SNK-crew are missing moves badly. In KOF a character has more moves than both CvS normal and ex versions combined! Basically, Capcom split one SNK-character up in two! You have two half-characters = angry KOF-ers
frown.gif
Halfbaked characters, anyone? NO!!

Also, don't forget: Capcom changed some of the move-commands for the SNK side. And took out almost every overhead they had. SNK-characters are _not_ not exactly the same.

(OK, the changed commands are my personal gripe - it's confusing playing 4 to 5 different fighting games)

Ok, it may seem that I hate CvS. I don't. But I do hate to see the SNK-characters neutered like this. It's like fighting with one arm or something.

------------------
"Your Street Fighter competitive edge", syeah right...

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
The altered command moves did get annoying. I have a tendency to pull a Trap Shot with King in KoF when I'm going for a Suprise Rose thanks to excessive CvS play. And I always try doing Mai's store down,up kick flame pillar in KoF99 now too (and after always wanting to do her Hishou Ryuu'en Jin in CvS..). Stupid reflexes....

I'd also agree that CvS is more Capcom styled than SNK. Missing SNK specials aside, the combo system is more Capcom oriented. Lots of low 2-in-1's into specials/supers and the like. The missing strong and forward buttons took a little getting used to but the combos that involved those moves were either easily relearned or substituted for.

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
Yes
frown.gif
the game is in Capcom favor that's for sure because it was developed by Capcom but they did a good job anyway's on SNK char's that for sure !! THE FUTURE IS NOW SNK !!!

------------------
fetch.dll

"So you think you can beat me.?"

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy
Actually I think the scales are pretty balanced. Aside from Ryu, Akuma, Blanka, and a few. The SNK side is stronger than the rest of cap cast. And I like how they made Kyo harder to work with. I dont care about Ryu changing much though. I aways thought of him back in the SF2 days as a starter character, for you to move on to others with.

Krusader

Rugal's Thug
Well, I didn't like it because some of the major SNK chars were screwed.

Terry. He's the main character of the whole Fatal Fury series, a true equal to Ryu in terms of staying true to a series. Always a main character in Fatal Fury.

In CVS, his power wave is much too slow. The power of his burning knuckle is lowered too, whereas it was supposed to be a powerful knockdown attack, its now a moderately powerful moving punch that would leave you vulnerable if blocked. His rising tackle has very weak priority too. It's hard to connect with and it doesn't deal enough hits to be worth pulling off. His Crack Shot is supposed an anti-projectile move, but it doesn't go high/fast enough, and it only connects one hit. In many ways, Terry got screwed.

Ryo's uppercut is nerfed compared to Ryu or Kens. The loss of his qcb+p attack from KOF96-98 hurts his ability to make any use of his uppercut. His lightning legs only connects to 2 hits as well instead of 3. His rangeless fireball is nothing like the KOF version, where its supposed to work like a Ryuen bu. Instead it's Dan's Gadouken.

Kim lost his sliding kick (Follows up with a quick slash kick thingy). He also loses his rising 3-hit kick, making him more like his kof99-2k counterpart.

Those are my main SNK beefs.

As for the controls, medium kick/punch are still in the game. The 4 buttons don't really affect Capcom players all that much anyways, since combos are easier to pull off with only 4 buttons, but the way the buttons are layed out does hurt SNK/KOF players.

koolking

Super Spy Agent
Capcom character are so given priority to look at kyo and exil iori they just got screwed up by the idiots at capcom.
--------------------------
Nasakenai

chohan

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PrOzErG:
Yes
frown.gif
the game is in Capcom favor that's for sure because it was developed by Capcom but they did a good job anyway's on SNK char's that for sure !! THE FUTURE IS NOW SNK !!!

Aye, I hope SNKvsCapcom2 will be in SNK style. And btw Congrats your Moderator, cool.

Cho

------------------
''Do as you like, it is not my job to kill you''

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chohan:
Aye, I hope SNKvsCapcom2 will be in SNK style. And btw Congrats your Moderator, cool.

Cho

Yeah man thank's two tumbs up !
icon14.gif
I will do the best moderater job I ever did !!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Hey Prozerg! You're a mod! Kick ass!

Congratulations
smile.gif

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso
'Because of my bloody life, it was no accident that I was involved in the troubles...'

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Anecdote:
The 4-button lay-out is a change of pace for Capcom players, true. It takes some getting used to, but I don't think it's a big factor. SNK players don't have a significant edge because of this.

Most (all?) medium (strong/forward) attacks are still in there. Just push back when using a hard attack. Comboing off the medium attacks is slightly trickier now. But not impossible or too difficult.

I don't think KOF players have an edge over the Capcom players. CvS is still very much a Capcom game. Waaay more Capcom than SNK. I think if the SNK-characters didn't have their names showing, most KOF-fans wouldn't even recognise them back.

The way I see it: the Capcom characters are complete characters. None of them are missing moves. The ex versions of the Capcom guys are older versions of the characters. For example EX-Ken plays like Ken from SSFIIT.

The SNK-crew are missing moves badly. In KOF a character has more moves than both CvS normal and ex versions combined! Basically, Capcom split one SNK-character up in two! You have two half-characters = angry KOF-ers
frown.gif
Halfbaked characters, anyone? NO!!

Also, don't forget: Capcom changed some of the move-commands for the SNK side. And took out almost every overhead they had. SNK-characters are _not_ not exactly the same.

(OK, the changed commands are my personal gripe - it's confusing playing 4 to 5 different fighting games)

Ok, it may seem that I hate CvS. I don't. But I do hate to see the SNK-characters neutered like this. It's like fighting with one arm or something.

Good points. But I still think that using back+HP or HK in a combo is awkward, when the light or heavy punches/kicks don't require the "back". It's easy to slip up.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RiotoftheBlood:
Good points. But I still think that using back+HP or HK in a combo is awkward, when the light or heavy punches/kicks don't require the "back". It's easy to slip up.

What Capcom could have done was make it so that you had to press both LP+HP to get a Fierce Punch, and LK+HK to get a Roundhouse Kick... pretty much like World Heroes Perfect. That way, Capcom players wouldn't have to complain about losing their "middle attacks" and SNK characters could have stayed the same or been added 2 additional regular moves, which probably would never happen since SNK characters generally have more moves than Capcom characters anyhow.

The reason why SNK characters seem to have a slight edge over most Capcom characters is because most people in the US have never seen or played against SNK/KOF characters. Despite how good Ryu & Guile are in CvS, what hurts them most is predictability. I think everyone here can figure out (on average) what the next move an average to above-average player will do next if they use either of these characters. Whereas, an average to above-average Vice player would have a field day playing against Ryu & Guile simply because most people have no idea what she can do. This all eventually changes the longer a game gets played, of course. For one, I can't get simple wins with Mai like I used to because people have gotten used to her antics.

Personally I thought some of the SNK characters were actually in need of toning down. Terry was WAY too strong in most of the games he's in. Here... well, he's still a threat, but not to the point he dominates. I like that. Yamazaki rightfully belongs to the Ratio 3 spot, as he's almost untouchable in the games he's in. He still is here, it's just a little bit more challenging to do that with the recovery delay on his snake arm cancel. You know, stuff like that.

Unfortunately, Capcom did a POOR job of balancing the Ratio 1 characters. King, anybody? Now, she's fun to play, but she just dominates. Hopefully they fixed that in CvS PRO.

Well I don't think that the SNK characters were screwed up after playing so much CvS already... although I'll say that they're not like they were in KOF but they still kick butt one way or the other. Some of their moves have actually been easier to perform in CvS unlike in KOF. One thing I've noticed that I can easily pull off a complete Aragami or Deadly Flower in CvS whereas I couldn't even do it properly in KOF. But I find it a leeeetle difficult to do D, DF, F, DF, D, DB, B since I got used to doing the shortcut in KOF.

Anyway, I guess it's just a matter of personal preference in the end...

------------------
Life is short... PLAY HARD!!!

Javi

n00b
Nakoruru is currently believed to be the best character in the game. Sure, she takes a lot of damage... but her speed, combos, and that DAMNED bird more than make up for that. Her only true weaknessed is Evil Ryu and (maybe) Guile.

2nd best would probably be Guile.

EX Vice, King, and EX Yuri are outstanding for Ratio 1 characters.

Blanka is good for Ratio 1, and Ryu, is ... Ryu. He's definitely a threat because of Shin Shoryuken.

I initally liked the game at first... but lost intrest because of Nakoruru and Guile being too good in that game. Hopefully the next incarnation will be better.