SNK main character swap for CvS2

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
I guess I'll start things off here with a CvS topic:

As I understand it, Terry is replacing Kyo as SNK's main character in CvS2. And I also believe that Ryu is being maintained as Capcoms main character. Now I kind of like Terry coming out over Kyo (Terry's been my character since FF1) but I'm kinda curious about the reason for the 'promotion'. I could see it if Capcom was swapping their own main character as well (to like Alex, Demitri, or Batsu) but as is, it just strikes me as kind of odd. The only thing I can think of is that Terry pairs off better with Geese (as a boss) than Kyo does. Of course, that theory's kind of shot down since Ryu isn't the first person I'd pair off with M. Bison (I could see Ryu/Sagat or Ryu/Gouki but Bison would pair better with Chunli, Rose, or Guile). Anybody have any theories of their own?

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I feel that Terry (oldschool) better embodies the whole SNK spirit that Kyo could ever hope to. Terry is more instantly recognizable.

BTW: What is up with the US cover of CvsSNK? It used Street Fighter Alpha 3 art and a bad image of Terry. Very Ugly. THe jap cover (also seen on the reverse of the US caover) is leagues better.

Capcom has had Ryu as a kind of mascot for a while now and he, like Terry, is the spirit of a Capcom fighter. Besides, who would you replace Ryu with? Guile? Hardly.

G

Gojira

Yeah, that cover is ugly, using Wild Ambition Terry art of all things... not that WA art is bad, it's just... weird-lookin. There are like 3 images made specifically for the cover, was Capcom US just unable to figure that out or what?

And Terry as a main character is fine with me. He's got that one NeoGeo hat after all, doesn't he? Maybe Captain Commando should be Capcom's main character... LOL

[This message has been edited by Gojira (edited April 14, 2001).]

I agree that Terry should be SNK's lead character. And I am happy to see Ryu stay where he is at.

K

KiddragoN7676

i dunno for me SNK main persons have always been Terry,Andy and joe....i think in the KOF Series Kyo & Iori have always taken centre stage..... the 1st CvsS was more like street fighter vs KOF so maybe thats why kyo was the main guy if the 2nd is gonna be true Capcom vs snk then its right that terry should be the main character against Ryu!!

Laterz!!!

They should Put Rick in
smile.gif

edit:lol u were right i typed the thing i did'nt understand it lol!!! a bit clear now!!

------------------
rickr2.gif

[This message has been edited by KiddragoN7676 (edited April 14, 2001).]

Rade K

20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KiddragoN7676:
i dunno for me SNK main person/s have always been Terry,Andy and joe i think in the KOF Series Kyo & Iori take centre stage as for me the 1st CvsS was more like street fighter vs KOF so maybe thats why kyo was the main guy if the 2nd is gonna be true Capcom vs snk i think terry should be the main character against Ryu!!

Laterz!!!

They should Put Rick in
smile.gif

Try using some punctuation.

Rade K

20 Year Member
I can't understand a word he is saying. Sorry.

Rade K

20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rade Kuruc:
I can't understand a word he is saying. Sorry.

And I think it was his grammar that I was making fun of, not his typing but if you wanted to be technical, I guess you are right.

Are you the moderator I am supposed to be afraid of?

------------------

30715870.jpg

Late on the whole Neo Geo thing.

W

Whip's Disciple

And I think it was his grammar that I was making fun of, not his typing but if you wanted to be technical, I guess you are right.

Are you the moderator I am supposed to be afraid of?

Don't be paranoid.

This isn't some slaughterhouse.

Rade K

20 Year Member
Well it has the same atmosphere. If it walks like a duck...

------------------

30715870.jpg

Late on the whole Neo Geo thing.

W

Whip's Disciple

Paranoia is not created from atmostphere. It comes from within more often than not.

Then again, if you want the gaming forum back that badly, I don't see why it was really given to us in the first place.

Rade K

20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Whip's Disciple:
Paranoia is not created from atmostphere. It comes from within more often than not.

Then again, if you want the gaming forum back that badly, I don't see why it was really given to us in the first place.

I was refering to the atmosphere of a slaughterhouse, not that of paranoia. Maybe I was not clear. It is also possible that you are not clear.

W

Whip's Disciple

Either way....

This doesn't have anthing to do with thread so I'll stop.

Rade K

20 Year Member
So...you only stop replying when you are proven wrong and have no comeback. I like that.

Man, am I ever stirring the excrement today. Not as hardily as some but more than my usual.

W

Whip's Disciple

So...you only stop replying when you are proven wrong and have no comeback. I like that.

Man, am I ever stirring the excrement today. Not as hardily as some but more than my usual.

Ummmm no, were equally vague or else I would have never made the misconception. Either way there's nothing more to say, well at least nothing which shouldn't be taken to the war forum.

[This message has been edited by Whip's Disciple (edited April 14, 2001).]

Rade K

20 Year Member
I don't post in the war room.

And how would anything have a paranoid atmosphere? You said it yourself. I think it was very clear that I was referencing slaughterhouse.

This all reminds me of slaughterhouse five...great book.

[This message has been edited by Rade Kuruc (edited April 14, 2001).]

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Poor Kyo. He's no longer SNK's main man in 2 games now. Don't worry Kusanagi, I won't abandon ya. LOL! Seriously, I'm glad Terry's taking his proper spot; as so many will put it. Really didn't bother me who was paired with Ryu in the 1st place since I don't care much for him anyway. At least now Kyo and Iori's rivalry can take center stage as far as I'm concern. Though I wonder who will face Kyo from the Capcom side now?

---------------------------------------------

"Don't be scared! I'll only cut off one of your heads! Guess!"

[This message has been edited by YeldellGW (edited April 14, 2001).]

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Terry always should have been SNK's main representative in this series. As lame as the cover art for the domestic CvS is, I was happy to see it featured Terry and Ryu, as it should be. Glad to see Capcom of Japan is getting it right with the presentation this time
smile.gif

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso
'Because of my bloody life, it was no accident that I was involved in the troubles...'

Rugal 3:16

Quiz Detective
Terry vs Ryu

Geese vs Bison

seems right

Kyo vs Geese just doesn't seem rught

AT LEAST RYU VS BISON has a bit of connection (as Bison seeks Ryu) But Geese doesn't seek Kyo

so if Kyo is the main dude, Rugal should be the main Baddie (KOF structure)

If Geese is the Baddie TERRY should be the hero (FF)

One can't use an argument that states Kyo is better suited for Ryu AND THEN use the same argument to support the Bison-Geese pairing (it's totally based on Bias) and vice versa, But since I like Terry over Rugal, I'd prefer Terry-Geese over Kyo-Rugal anyday.

------------------
I'm goin up I'm comin' in.. pull em' down and let's ***********IN

firebreed

n00b
Whip, Orochi Leona and the Orochi team

Hi, Rugal 3:16 !
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by firebreed (edited April 17, 2001).]

fomaman

King's Dry Cleaner
where did it say that terry is gonna' be SNK hero #1 in CVS2? I personally think it's more appropriate, i just wanna' know where the info is coming from.

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
Fomaman - I don't remember exactly where I saw the article on that (it was a while ago). I'm pretty sure it was on www.videogames.com coverage of the CvS2 TGS showing.

Rugal 3:16 - You're right about Kyo/Rugal being the more logical combo. That was kinda why I was surprised to see Geese the boss in CvS. I'm pleased Terry will be taking center stage for SNK, but I have to wonder if Capcom will leave Geese and M. Bison as bosses.

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy
I think Kyosuke will pair off against Kyo!

They're both students that fight. They'd better tone Kyosuke down.

Rugal 3:16

Quiz Detective
Apathy.. well I DID figure out that Popularity is what made the Kyo/Geese good/Bad main men, But They seem Urghhh when paired themselves, they have no chemistry

Kyo: Geese isn't that the bad guy that was beaten by the guy I beat (Terry) in 94'

Geese: I don't give a rats ass about Kyo I want Terry.

But CHECK THIS OUT

One of the reasons I heard that Kyo is giving a MASSIVELY not that deserved push by SNK is..

Terry is an American

and SNK wouldn't let an american be their main man.. (talk about racism)

Well I can't imagine Kyo as a japanese either (not that I'm having anything against what Japs really look like as compared to their art) But I Just see Kyo's image (long Hair, pretty boy face) as an upteen Backstreet Boy rather than a young Bad ass. anyway Kyo's Push IMO is kinda undeserved.

like in wrestling we have Goldberg and just because he looked like something WCW pushed him but many (including me) were not that impressed, so SNK created Kyo and see what they view of this main character so they gave him a character background (Kusanagi's saga ETC.) a rival (iori) and makes him SNK's main man, while they didn't see what Terry has been to SNK long before Kyo was ever in a drawing board (because Terry's an American) But as CvS implies (at least in our country or in the casual gamers market)

Casual Gamer: Kyo? who's Kyo I thought Terry was SNK's Ryu

Casual Gamer 2: You mean aftr Terry beat Geese and Krauser and Mars (supposedly) he'll just be beaten by a Spunky Teenager (kyo)

Hardcore Gamer: wait a second Kyo has character development, Kyo is the new main man so HE'S SUPPOSED to beat the old Bum (Terry) plus he has more Developed Charac--

someone who knows about the wheeling and dealing: More developed character you say? THAT's BECUASE OF THE PUSH SNK GIVES HIM it's like their deliberately tring to say.. "Why settle for a bummy old American who has a lame "revenge" backround when you could dig your roots for a JAPANESE dude with cool hair a bad attitude and a "well (pushed-motivated) developed" character COME ON PEOPLE WE DEMAND YOU TO RECOGNIZE KYO,.... HE even has a Rival"

at least I appreciate what they have done to GEESE as SNK retains him as their main man, Now Unlike all of you I Like Rugal better than Geese (but that's because of my personal tastes) Geese is better because SNK makes him to be better and IMO without Bias THAT IS A WISE decision to keep the old bad guy as the main bad dude (not necessarily the strongest but the Best nonethelss) But Hey Geese deserves the spot AS MUCH in proportion to how Terry deserves his shot, contrary to what I have written I don't hate Kyo I also Like the dude very much, But seeing him as a main character is just too much IMO, I'm sure Kyo fans here wouldn't mind whatever Kyo's status is as long as they like the character.

as long as Kyo isn't paired with someone MILES AWAY from his status as say how Ryo was paired with Balrog.

[This message has been edited by Rugal 3:16 (edited April 17, 2001).]