HEY

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Ummm... "Hi!".

Who else was disappointed with Capcom's man handling of SNK's characters?
Being forced to unlock EX versions of my favorite SNK characters to play their
unaltered versions was ridiculous! With that discrepancy aside, SNK vs Capcom
was a good game with phenomenal graphics, sound and animation.

------------------
rbsterry.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
http://neonews.cjb.net

NeoLord I agree with you man. What was with that? Oh well, cool new forumn topic, I say that.

DK1

Crazed MVS Addict
They had to do it ... SNK fighters are too strong and diverse. They would've kicked the Capcom character's asses if they were given all of their moves and strength. And this is coming from a guy who was slightly more Capcom-oriented.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
The one thing I liked was SNK's take on the Capcom characters. I love their art!

W

Whip's Disciple

I guess it was easy for me to come off biased about this game.

I originally expect a Alpha or SF3 based system. Though instead we got a pretty average system, though by no means crap.

The most dissapointing thing was definately the Capcom characters. This problem created a cause and effect chain, that definately stopped this game from reaching it's true potential.

Capcom character in my opinion have always lacked a sufficient amount of moves. Sure Ryu has his Shun Geri Kick in 3, but that wasn't even added to the game. So instead of giving the Capcom characters more moves, they just took away from SNK characters.

I have to disagree with NeoLord's point about unlocking EX characters. Neither form was complete, but EX and normal were merely halves of the same characters. Ex: Extra Kim. I guess adding moves to the Capcom characters would have taken much longer, but graphically, I was made that the SF characters were all sprite rips from Alpha. If they could redo Ken, Ryu, Bison, and Akuma, they could have given Chun li, Blanka, and the others a little bit of a face lift. Then if I were really nit picky, I'd whine about the lack of mid-level jumps, but I guess that's a little too much to ask from them.

I'm really glad they added running into the DC version. It was the biggest pain to play without the run feature.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have to disagree with NeoLord's point about unlocking EX characters. Neither form was complete, but EX and normal were merely halves of the same characters. Ex: Extra Kim.

To each his own!
biggrin.gif
Give me Terry's Power Dunk any day! Even Geese was based
on his classic character. In reality, Geese, with his full roster of moves, could demolish
Bison in a heartbeat!

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited April 14, 2001).]

W

Whip's Disciple

Well, I have to admit some characters were more complete than others. Ie Geese and Iori were quite complete.

Even then...oh well, it was interesting to say the least. I also have to say, the unlocking makes it fun. I downloaded the full save, and it killed my urge to play the game. -_-

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NeoTurfMasta:
The one thing I liked was SNK's take on the Capcom characters. I love their art!

Agreed. I'm a little dissapointed with Capcom's art. It was much better (read as, perfect) in MvC2.

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Whip's Disciple:
Well, I have to admit some characters were more complete than others. Ie Geese and Iori were quite complete.

Even then...oh well, it was interesting to say the least. I also have to say, the unlocking makes it fun. I downloaded the full save, and it killed my urge to play the game. -_-

Unlocking the secrets is fun, but, Dayum... it takes forever! Vs. matches are worth only 10 points, and, as an example, EX ratio 2 characters cost 3000 points! So you'd have to play 300 vs. maches for one ratio 2 EX character! Ridiculous. Finishing the aracade mode is the best way to get points, but it still takes a long time to accrue enough of them. I think the way the points were alloted in MvC2 was much more reasonable.

W

Whip's Disciple

In about 5 days, I only manged to unlock like 6 characters. My friend did it in 3 weeks, he played for hours and hours and hours. He was even playing when I was on the phone with him. poor guy, but he sure kicks ass now.

G

Gojira

Hehe, see this is why I have the Neo Pocket linkup. It's easy...

Play SvC, choose Olympic Time Attack w/ Leona, do jumping B, cr. B, Moon Slasher combo repeatedly. Win in under 1 minute, get 400 pts. Repeat until you reach 9000 pts, upload, buy characters, repeat.

I had everything in no time.
biggrin.gif

But yeah, I was disappointed about the EX versions of characters. The SNK EX characters were just their other regular moves (mostly) and the Capcom EX characters were just "classic" versions of them, just the same thing with fewer moves and slightly different normals.

They raped Kyo, Terry, Kim, Yuri, etc.'s movelists. Hopefully for CvS2 they'll consolidate the SNK characters, add some actual new moves to the Capcom ones - if they need them - and forget about all this unlocking nonsense. (Yes, I'm sorry but this stupid unlocking trend has got to stop or at least be toned down.)

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gojira:

They raped Kyo, Terry, Kim, Yuri, etc.'s movelists. Hopefully for CvS2 they'll consolidate the SNK characters, add some actual new moves to the Capcom ones - if they need them - and forget about all this unlocking nonsense. (Yes, I'm sorry but this stupid unlocking trend has got to stop or at least be toned down.)

Terry and Yuri are two of my favorite characters to use on the SNK squad in CvS, and despite their movelists being split in half amongst regular and EX modes they still do very well for me. Personally, I really don't see them as being "raped" (as in the case of Kyo) since the majority of moves Terry and Yrui have still maintain their speed, priority and range, which is more important to me than having access to every move that they can possibly use at once. Most people don't utilize every move in a character's arsenal anyhow... On the other hand, it would have been better if the Capcom roster was finally given some additional moves... that way, SNK characters wouldn't have to have their movelist split into two.

Main thing for CvS2 (in my opinion) is adjustable ratios. In regular gameplay, I would like to see it possible for a person to choose a character, then give them a ratio ranking immediately afterwards. I know this exists in Vs mode for CvS, but this would make many people rethink how to play the game if it was a regular thing with character selections in CvS.

Besides... Athena has already been announced, so I'm gearing up to take all those Ryu, Ken and Akuma players to the slaughterhouse.
biggrin.gif

WhipBogard

Mega Shock!!
CvS dissapoint me very much
No Whip or Mary.......Ack! I love these two....and the Terry aren't very superb as well!

------------------
Let the spirit around us guide you.......

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
CvS was great for being its own game. Sure, not everything satisfied everybody, but having the game actually exsist is good enough in itself since it plays and looks great.

Some of those new animations a great, I really love the new Bison and Iori sprites. Cant satisfy everyone..

autobotclown

Kula's Candy
sorry I think the game kinda sucks
no set hit rules changes as you play.
they took out moves on capcom players cause there a lot better than snk. Capcom moves were made to combo and link while snk dont if you try most just hit once of twice then they keep going then while thats going on the other plare kicks youre ass
it also suck cause there was no dan

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Capcom vs. SNK was a great game and I hope to god that we get the sequal on DC.

Rade K

20 Year Member
What is "Millionaire Fight 2001" supposed to mean?

Rade K

20 Year Member
Actually, it's "millionaire fighting 2001". Trying to cash in on Regis?

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rade Kuruc:
Capcom vs. SNK was a great game and I hope to god that we get the sequal on DC.

Well, we will at least see CvS Pro for the Dreamcast in a few months. FINALLY... a Ratio 4 Dan Hibiki!!!
biggrin.gif

However, with the days of the DC coming closer to an end these days, I'm not sure if CvS2 will make it there. I'm hoping it does, for quite frankly I don't like any of the upcoming next generation machines (Gamecube, X-Box, etc...).

W

Whip's Disciple

Actually Vinylboy, every move does have to be utilized when playing someone experienced, even the most useless move, can bring a whole new level and depth to one's gameplay.