what makes Kof 98 so special ??

kaos

I'm a stealthy Ghost-like pimp daddy bitch, yo!
Here again the KoF newbie asking for your help

I'd really like to know why people is so crazy for this game considering it the best in the series
I got 94 95 97 98

what (in my newbie opinion) I like the most is
The controls: I can easily perform hard moves more than previous games
and the huge carachter line-up

I'm sure I'm missing something
Tell me please...

<small>[ May 26, 2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: kaos ]</small>

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
The gigantic roster provides hours upon hours of enjoyment if you want to master the game. I really got to save up and get that game.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Most people worship KoF'98 because much like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, it is the fifth refinement of a cherished fighting series.

KoF'98 sports the most evenly balanced roster of characters, although at high levels the grapplers tend to dominate.

Nearly every fan favorite character is present in '98, except for the Boss Team of '96. Everyone is well animated.

The 'feel' of the game and the combo system is truly at its peak in '98. The game shines like a fucking ten carat diamond when played for hours on end in versus mode.

In the end, your enjoyment of '98 may only be hampered by how many folks you have to play it with. If you play fighting games for stories or cool bosses, '98 might not mean that much to you.
But if you are someone who likes a nice deep fighting game with tons of great characters, moves, and combos to get a grip on, '98 is simply the best engineered KoF of all time.

Tadaima

Host for Orochi
Loopz:
Most people worship KoF'98 because much like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, it is the fifth refinement of a cherished fighting series.

KoF'98 sports the most evenly balanced roster of characters, although at high levels the grapplers tend to dominate.

Nearly every fan favorite character is present in '98, except for the Boss Team of '96. Everyone is well animated.

The 'feel' of the game and the combo system is truly at its peak in '98. The game shines like a fucking ten carat diamond when played for hours on end in versus mode.

In the end, your enjoyment of '98 may only be hampered by how many folks you have to play it with. If you play fighting games for stories or cool bosses, '98 might not mean that much to you.
But if you are someone who likes a nice deep fighting game with tons of great characters, moves, and combos to get a grip on, '98 is simply the best engineered KoF of all time.
Amen.

The 98 is the sum of all efforts put into the KOF games. 99 is okay, 2K is simply crazy w/ loads of combos, but 2K1 and 2K2 just don't have that KOF "feel" anymore.

<small>[ June 01, 2003, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: Tadaima ]</small>

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
depth depth depth, the game is fucking deep, it has everything, nearly...
I only needs a couple of tweaks in the character roster to be perfect, mainly

1) the return of Eiji
2) the boss team from '96
3) blood riot Iori & Leona (why amI the only person to like these characters?)
4) a final stage boss team of Rugal, Goenitz & Orochi, thus making it impossible to complete

am I a sadist? very_ang buttrock buttrock buttrock

Tadaima

Host for Orochi
GENOCIDE CUTTER '94:

1) the return of Eiji
4) a final stage boss team of Rugal, Goenitz & Orochi, thus making it impossible to complete

Good idea! But we beat the shit out of Igniz already, didn't we?... :D

deffty

Kula's Candy
Easy questions.

1)Last KOF game to feature team mates cheering and supporting characters in the back ground.
They can jump and help you when you dizzy.
This is what makes KOF games unique. buttrock

2)Best art/potraits, clear screen/ wining screen, every pictures is great. buttrock

3)Most BGM in the whole KOF series, many cool sound tracks for individual characters too

4)Most characters in the whole KOF series.

5)The only last KOF game that features "Extra: game play mode. buttrock
Able to avoid fireballs or flying objects allowing them to pass through. This is another feature that makes KOF unique too.

This is what I called a KOF game.
Don't know why the programmers make all those stupid changes after KOF98? - strikers, lousy roosters, clones, mutants, robots, etc.
oh_no

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'll add what makes it best for me as well:

Best overall music. Not just quality, but quantity. There's a ton of GREAT tunes.

Characters: As said before, this has just about all the best chars for the time not counting the boss team.

Feel/combo system. Smooth, tight but not too hard. A very rewarding combo engine. No over the top crap like later, and yet you can still do some serious combos if you're very good. In other words, you earned them.

Great animation. Terry still had his full standing CD animation. Many characters had the full amount of specials they ever had (Iori, for instance can do his small leaping flame punch). Also, add the variable characters for even more. Four win poses for each character, and a ton of special intros.

Great backgrounds. LOVE the middle age team and Iori BGs!

Just a great game! One of the best fighters ever.
Spike

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I agree with Spike and Loopz. It is just such a well rounded fighter. Great selection,combos,music,backgrounds, and fun.

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
The game is superb in every aspect, so whats important to me is the 4 win poses baby. This meant alot to me & it gives you more variety to show players how you are feeling sometimes, not all of them have this feature. I also like when characters such as kyo & yashiro actually face the other remaining fighters & tournt them.

Bye bye.

Tenshokyaku

King's Dry Cleaner
KOF 98 is the most complete KOF to date. Advanced mode is by far the greatest way to play KOF ever! The character selection is another HUGE plus, seeing as how it's not restricted by storyline. The only things I would have liked to see is

1. Each team had their own stage

2. The boss team from 96

Other than those two things, KOF 98 is the DEFINITIVE KOF!

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
Tadaima:
GENOCIDE CUTTER '94:

1) the return of Eiji

Good idea! But we beat the shit out of Igniz already, didn't we?... :D
yeah, but Ignitz was a big girly man with too much conditioner & a poncey coat. Anyway, the whole "one all powerful boss" thing has been going on for how long now? a TEAM of bosses all hard as fuck, now thats something to be fearful of, imagine struggling as fuck to beat Rugal at his hardest and losing half your team in the process, only to have to face fucking Goenitz at his hardest. And then theres Orochi.......

Point made? buttrock

QnzNeoGeoChick

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Everything. I mean, the controls, the backgrounds, the music, everything. Wow. I like this game a lot.