Do you remember... (A Tribute to the K.o.F series)

The True Warrior

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Since I'm leaving N-G.com, I might as well contibute something useful to all the past and present Neo fans here (other than my absence). smirk

*Clears throat*

*'Dust Man' starts playing in the background*

Do you remember those days in the past, when we would waste hours on end at the local Pizza Hut or arcade, with our friends playing around having fun on a late weekday or Saturday afternoon?

Remember how carefree you were, teasing your peers and acting "cool" to impress everybody (when they all knew you obviously were NOT)?

I sure do...

Do you remember the first time you heard "Ryu" from the "Street Fighter" series shout, "IDOOOOOOKEN!" as a surging blue ball of energy flew from his palms across the sceen to his opponent?

Yes, that's the feeling...

Remember how "Street Fighter" and "Mortal Kombat" were all the rage in the local arcades back then?

Boy, little did we know that we hadn't seen anything yet!

Until 1994...

Those fortunate enough to own one of the few Neo*Geo AES consoles around had heard the news of a new fighting game being created by great minds behind the "Ryuuko No Ken (Art of Fighting)" and "Garou Densetsu (Fatal Fury)" series.

The top gaming magazines at the time offered little exposure (from what I know) of the title, except that was to host a collection of characters from across the SNK universe. Strange it was at first, but the meager few who anticipated it knew better, for the game would become much, MUCH, more to Neo fans everywhere.

Do you remember when you and your friends went to the local hang-out to spend time (and your parent's money; unless you had a job, which few of us did) hogging the "Street Fighter/Fatal Fury/Samuria Showdown" or "Pit Fighter" cabinet, only to find it's contents replaced by something else?

Remember the look on your face and the feeling you got inside when you saw the name of the title read "The King of Fighters 1994"?

I sure do...

"Aw, man! That's Terry Bogard!!!", you shout ecstatically.

"Who!?", ask some of your friends, not knowing the name of the Legendary figure who defeated the awe-inspiring fiend Geese Howard in Fatal Fury.

"You know; Terry Bogard! The dude with the baseball cap from the Fatal Fury game!", you retort as you find it useless to explain to those who have worshipped "Street Fighter II" for the past 3 years.

Do you remember the shock you felt when the intro played, introducing Ryo Sakazaki, Robert Garcia, Takuma Sakazaki, Joe Higashi, Andy Bogard, AND the Legendary Wolf himself, Terry?

Remember how your friends had to hold you back and keep you from fainting when you recognized Athena Asamiya from the obscure Neo title "Athena" in this same game that you were hell-bent on playing?

I sure do...

*'Esaka' plays in the background*

Shaking and wobbly, you make your way to the mysterious cabinet as the roll call finishes with the first-time appearance of the young and dashing new character, Kyo Kusanagi, and his two friends Benimaru Nikaido and Goro Daimon.

It is then that you see the title sceen of the mind-blowing new game that had owned your very soul from then onward: The King of Fighters 1994!

The announcer shouts the title as you insert your quarters into the machine. To your amazement, you find that your curor is one the very team you were fond of: Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, and Joe Higashi! With the mere press of a button, your fate is determined as you assemble your warriors for battle with legends from across the SNK fighting and adventure world.

Making your way past team after team (and trying to hide that stiffy you got from fighting against the Women's Team) with your eyes oogling our of their sockets, you miraculously defeat the Art of Fighting Team, the Korean Team (with whom you nearly wet yourself when you saw Kim Kaphwan team up with a mini Freddy Krueger and some huge fat bearded guy with giant iron ball), the Psycho Soldiers Team, the Ikari Warriors Team, the American Sports Team, and finally, the upstart Japan Team.

Do you remember the first time you faced Kyo?

Remember how he nearly beat you to death with his life-sapping Orochinagi? How Goro loved to grab you from out of nowhere? How Benimaru loved to jump kick you and show you how "not straight" he was with his wierd clothes and zany winquotes?

I sure do...

After 6 long and arduous battles, you finally made your way to the mysterious boss, whose face you'd seen only in the pre-fight intermissions.

Little did you know that this guy, Rugal Bernstein as he called himself, would be your greatest challenge yet...

Do you remember the heartache the first time he defeated you?

Remember the forth and the sixth time too?

I sure do!

We all thought we'd never defeat this menace who sucked our life away like leech on a major artery! But our perserverance payed off when we sent this one-eyed wanna-be pimp packing as his aircraft carrier Black Noah exploded, taking with it Rugal's remains...or so we thought.

The tournament over and your friends thoroughly impressed, you called it a night and went home, only to find that the next year, a new challenge would be call for you.

Do you remember when you saw the spinning invitation on the sceen of the new game, aptly named, "The King of Fighters 1995" one year later?

Remember when you saw Terry's face again? The joy we felt back then when we saw the team edit feature.

I sure do...

This year's cast was slightly different for everyone watching around you. A new team and a "mysterious" yet obvious new boss welcomed your challenge.

*'Arashi no Saxophone' plays in the background*

Marveling at the new backgrounds and funky tunes that accompanied this new title, you made your way past team after team with Kyo and his friends, trying him out to test his worth. That was, until you saw the strange red-headed goth punk heading up the new Team U.S.A.

Do you remember when you butchered his name as you tried to pronounce it?

Remember jumping up and down ecstatically when you saw Billy Kane and Eiji Kisaragi in the background of the smoggy, sunset-filled, background that was a SouthTown factory?

I sure do!

Iori was more than anything you'd ever encountered before: cool, stylish, mean, sadistic, and "bad-ass" all rolled into one guy whose last name sounded worse than "Geese" when pronounced backwards.

Barely making it past him, you see that the person hiding in the shadows is noneother than that playa' reject Rugal from 1994. It seems that Rugal needed a new hand to do his dirty work (literally), so he kidnaps Kyo's father Saishu and brainwashes him to finish off the renown Japan Team, but Kyo barely makes short work of him before he faces his greatest challenge.

Back and wanting revenge for last years embarrassment, Rugal beckons Kyo to dance with him as his new red-eye glows and nuclear warheads arm themselves in his background. It's up to you to stop him and save the world...again!

After about 10 consecutive defeats, we're fed up with losing to this behemoth of a man and just go all out with him, finally sending his cyborg ass flying into the control mechanisms that govern the missiles, thus averting a nuclear armageddon.

Do you remember laughing at Rugal's pathetic face as he taunts you, saying that he'll be back?

Remember how relieved you were when it was all over?

I sure as hell do... *phew*

You went home and called it a night, only to find out that next year, 1996 called upon your impressive skills yet again.

Do you remember when you saw Blue Mary and Jubei Yamada in the lush, vibrant backgrounds that year?

Remember seeing all of those old and missing faces taking a backseat to watch you show off?

I sure do.

Another year, another quarter.

"Insert Coin."

*'Geese's Inner Pain' plays in the background*

More and more, Iori Yagami interested you, so you pick him and try out his new team (shocked that he nearly killed Billy and Eiji at the end of '95) when you discover that this year's game is the best one yet: a team composed of bosses from past AOF/FF games beckons you to challenge them.

As the Heavy Guitars blare in the speakers of Kim's new stage and the sun set on the dusty highway of destiny as Terry and Ryo(who shows off a new fighting stance) fight each other for the mantle of the "Strongest", you see that, "The King of Fighters 1996" is a year to remember.

The seemingly-immortal Geese Howard now fights alongside the menacing titan Wolfgang Krauser and their stick-toting, Don-"Chrome Dome"-Juan lackey Mr. Big. You fear them, because they have beaten you into submission many times in the past; but you take heart: this year's different, and the outcome will be too!

The new warrior woman Leona offers a different challenge this year as she uses blades and compact bombs to best you, but you don't give in to her strange might. Kasumi Todoh's visage pops up as another new face that summons you to fight. After suffering the fury of her counters, you make short work of her and the bouncy Mai Shiranui, though not without falling to King's beauty (or exploding shirt!) a few times in a row.

Down goes Mr. Big to Vice's hideous, bone-crushing grabs; then Baron Krauser to Mature's seductions; and finally Geeese Howard himself (though not without MANY continues!) at Iori's blade-like hands.

Do you remember the pride and accomplishment you felt when Geese finally kneeled in defeat?

Remember how Krauser's hearty taunts meant nothing now that he was down for the count?

I sure do!

But things were strangely different this year. A new boss challenged you in big auditorium for the title of "King of Fighters". You think she's a push over, but she proves otherwise, nearly having you beg for mercy at her illusionary feet.

Once she's down, you rejoice...or do you?

"A wind blows" is all you see before the wrath of heaven itself challenges you to a life-or-death battle to the finish by the name of Goenitz.

Do you remember laughing the first time you saw his name?

Remember how cool he looked with that nice suit?

I sure do!

However, we were ALL in for a ghastly suprise once we saw the remnants of the auditorium. Most of it destroyed by the tornadoes swirling in the background with SNK all-stars clinging to poles for dear life, it dawns on you that this boss is not like Rugal or Geese...he's FAR far worse!

Do you remember cringing when you saw Goenitz throw you from out of nowhere and beat you like there was no tomorrow?

Remember cursing his name and shouting at the cabinet before being told that you'd he thrown out of the establishment for blatant use of profanity?

I sure do!

The crowd marveled and gaped as you wasted money trying to defeat the unholy being that was Goenitz. It was getting late and closing time was in an hour, and you only had a few quarters left...

Do you remember the drive and focus you felt inside then?

Remember how it all came back to you and you finally got it right?

I sure do...

After pulling out the right moves, Goenitz was finished (and not a minute too soon!) and the world was saved for another year...or so you thought (again).

("Whew!" What a tough!" -- Wolfgang Krauser was right!)

You went home happy, but tired, and slept well into the next day undisturbed since you earned your reputation as a great one in the SNK hall of fame.

It was then that you understood the true meaning of the King of Fighters series back in 1996: to fight and have fun, but to also prove yourself to be the best of the best against anyone, man or god!

Do you remember asking yourself, "First Mizuki and now "Goe-nutz"? What was SNK smoking when they created this guy?!"

Remember knowing that your friends were still disciples of Capcom but you were fortunate enough to not get turned from the light?

I sure do...

*'Esaka Forever' plays in the background*

You were hesitant to walk back into your local hang-out this year for some reason or another. Hearing that other places were closing or that great games had been removed in favor of atrocities like "Killer Instinct 2" or "Mortal Kombat 3", we hoped that our favorite little place still lit a candle for us, even though the flame had dimmed throughout the years.

1997 was no exception.

A new year and a few new teams was the order of day with the appearance of, "The King of Fighters 1997".

Do you remember asking yourself, "Will this series ever end?"

Remember wondering when Eiji, Billy, Geese, and Krauser would make a comeback?

I sure do!

*Insert Token...PRESS START* as you watch the new year's intro. 6 new faces add to the line-up now, and you salivate graciously as Billy Kane makes his triumphant return, but you're nearly floored as you see him team up with the maniacally cool-sadistic combo that is Ryuji Yamazaki and the busty blond bombshell Blue Mary.

Do you remember getting a stiffy seeing Mary's standing animation redrawn for the K.o.F series?

Remember laughing out loud at Shingo falling flat on his face while trying to perform Kyo's Sunset Wheel kick move?

I sure do!

You weren't shocked to find Iori Yagami without a team this year, but you were suprised to find a new team in his former's place: the New Faces Team. The handsome, silver-haired hunk known as Yashiro was the first up, with his brilliantly animated standing animation. Then there was the mysteriously beautiful and buxom Shermie, whom you wanted to get to know intimately (like: WHY does her hair cover her eyes?! Can she even see?); and lastly, the younger newcomer Chris.

We doubted that even his snazzy moonwalk could save his annoying ass from a severe beat-down, and we were right.

Do you remember how strange the intermissions scenese were becoming?

Remember how we thought Iori would freak out again?

I sure do...

It was down to the finals and you had just pummeled the New Faces Team and began finishing off the Special Team of '97. Yet, in a startling turn of events, you discover that you now you must face either a rabid, cat-like, verison of the Ikari warrior Leona or the blood-vomiting, shrieking version of Iori Yagami.

Taking the Yagami route and being beaten to your senses by his incredible agility and strength, you finally defeat the warped fighter and beckon the boss...or bosses, as you soon found out.

Do you remember the anticipation of finding out if Chris was the final boss of K.o.F '97?

Remember wondering if Geese, Goenitz, or Omega Rugal would show up and hand you your ass again as they had done many times in the past?

I sure do!

But alas, this year's nemesis was even more uncanny then you thought. As the thunder roared both in heaven and on Earth, you stood your ground as Yashiro of the Parched Earth challenged you. Making quick work of him, you are then arcanely seduced by Shermie, who's body seems to drip with ecstatic lightning. Once she was out of the way, you grunted as Chris and his new-found flames nearly incinerated you.

However, it was not over yet...

Do you remember wondering what this whole "Orochi" mess was all about?

Remember watching in shock as Yashiro kills his beloved Shermie in front of everyone, and then committs suicide (but not before taunting you about how you will SOON die) before a dazed Chris, who seems somehow possesed and levitates above the ground?

I sure do!

And it's at that very moment that you witness the boy's transformation into the man-god called "Orochi". You stand astounded. This will be your greatest battle since Goenitz from last year.

You cower and cringe as Orochi has his way with you, only to find a small loophole in his design. You proceed to pummel him into submission, but not before he shows you (and the few people around who are still interested in SNK's signature series that are watching you) what kind of a "god" he is.

You witness Orochi raise his arm and are partially blinded by a bright light. You then see that your fighter is lying dead on the ground, never to get back up as Orochi taunts with his strange winpose. Frustrated, you take control of your second fighter and again watch as he/she is thrown into oblivion by the cheap god's wrath.

It is then that you pull out all of the stops and beat the shit out of Orochi with what's left of your last warrior.

The triumph we feel...the glory...the moment we had all been waiting for, finally at hand.

Do you remember wondering if it was truly over?

Remember seeing Kyo and Iori back at it before the credits role and say, "Those two will never quit."?

I sure do...

As the year stood by from the yawns and dead crowds around the local hang-outs, we wondered if there was still any life left in arcades anymore.

Capcom had come out with Street Fighter Alpha 3, Namco with Tekken 3 and Soul Calibur, and Midway with Mortal Kombat 4, but unfortunately they didn't help bring life back into the arcade gaming scene.

Sony was making a killing on the home entertainment scene with its PlayStation, and Nintendo was slowly being forgotten as it was being wiped out by its Pokemon creation. Sega had a new and final card up its sleeve with the coming of it's new DreamCast, but the outlook was grim.

Do you remember how no one really cared if there was another K.o.F to resurrect the great fighting spirit of SNK's past?

Remember how we thought the arcades would be a distant memory a year from then?

I sure do...

We thought SNK would fade out of the scene and let us down; but on the contrary, it brought us up!

Do you remember hearing that, "It all began in '94; Kept on rollin' in '95; The pieces were in place in '96; And it came to the end in '97..."

"Now it comes and here we go; K.o.F is here again; Nothing's gonna stop cuz' it's 1-9-9-8!"

Remember hearing, "Play that shit like you just got your motha-fuckin' check; you better come and pick up this game!" and knowing that K.o.F was back in it's former post '95 glory?

I sure do!

*'In Spite of One's Age' plays in the background*

Do you remember seeing the old faces of Heidern, Saishu, and Takuma side-by-side on the their own team, along with Yamazaki, Rugal, Shingo, Mature, Vice, Billy, Yashiro, Shermie, Chris, Heavy D!, Lucky Glauber, and Chizuru and knowing that you were in fighting game heaven?

Remember the stiffy you got when you first played, "The King of Fighters 1998"?

Remember when Franz shouted, "Where the FUCK is Eiji?!" when we first heard of '98?

Remember seeing the pic of everyone at the big pool party overlooking the huge mansion?

Do you remember wondering what the difference was between "The Dream Match Never Ends" and "The Slugfest"?

Remember arguing with your friends over which company was better, SNK or Capcom?

I sure do!

Remember when your friends would say that "Marvel vs. Capcom 1&2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and Tekken 3" were the best fighting games ever?

Remember when you would reply, "What about Kizuna Encounter?"

(And of course, they would retort, "We're talking about games, not movies!")

Do you remember the good ol' fun you had with your friends back in '94-'96 back at the local hang-out (that's now closed or moved or something worse)?

Remember when you understood the message, "The Dream Match NEVER Ends" and knowing that that's what it was all about?

I sure do...

*'Tears' plays in the background*

Well, that's it from me everybody! Hope you liked my little gift and I hope it becomes part of this site or some other SNK fan site that appreciates the amazing K.o.F series many of us have grown to love.

It's been fun here at N-G.com, but now, I must leave here and take my place in the world...

Thanks for all the great memories and coloful characters!

Sayonnara! *bows and walks off into the sunset*

EDIT: '98 Team in final list

<small>[ May 18, 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: The True Warrior ]</small>

snkool

Camel Slug
The True Warrior:
Since I'm leaving N-G.com, I might as well contibute something useful to all the past and present Neo fans here (other than my absence). smirk

*Clears throat*

*'Dust Man' starts playing in the background*

Do you remember those days in the past, when we would waste hours on end at the local Pizza Hut or arcade, with our friends playing around having fun on a late weekday or Saturday afternoon?

Remember how carefree you were, teasing your peers and acting "cool" to impress everybody (when they all knew you obviously were NOT)?

I sure do...

Do you remember the first time you heard "Ryu" from the "Street Fighter" series shout, "IDOOOOOOKEN!" as a surging blue ball of energy flew from his palms across the sceen to his opponent?

Yes, that's the feeling...

Remember how "Street Fighter" and "Mortal Kombat" were all the rage in the local arcades back then?

Boy, little did we know that we hadn't seen anything yet!

Until 1994...

Those fortunate enough to own one of the few Neo*Geo AES consoles around had heard the news of a new fighting game being created by great minds behind the "Ryuuko No Ken (Art of Fighting)" and "Garou Densetsu (Fatal Fury)" series.

The top gaming magazines at the time offered little exposure (from what I know) of the title, except that was to host a collection of characters from across the SNK universe. Strange it was at first, but the meager few who anticipated it knew better, for the game would become much, MUCH, more to Neo fans everywhere.

Do you remember when you and your friends went to the local hang-out to spend time (and your parent's money; unless you had a job, which few of us did) hogging the "Street Fighter/Fatal Fury/Samuria Showdown" or "Pit Fighter" cabinet, only to find it's contents replaced by something else?

Remember the look on your face and the feeling you got inside when you saw the name of the title read "The King of Fighters 1994"?

I sure do...

"Aw, man! That's Terry Bogard!!!", you shout ecstatically.

"Who!?", ask some of your friends, not knowing the name of the Legendary figure who defeated the awe-inspiring fiend Geese Howard in Fatal Fury.

"You know; Terry Bogard! The dude with the baseball cap from the Fatal Fury game!", you retort as you find it useless to explain to those who have worshipped "Street Fighter II" for the past 3 years.

Do you remember the shock you felt when the intro played, introducing Ryo Sakazaki, Robert Garcia, Takuma Sakazaki, Joe Higashi, Andy Bogard, AND the Legendary Wolf himself, Terry?

Remember how your friends had to hold you back and keep you from fainting when you recognized Athena Asamiya from the obscure Neo title "Athena" in this same game that you were hell-bent on playing?

I sure do...

*'Esaka' plays in the background*

Shaking and wobbly, you make your way to the mysterious cabinet as the roll call finishes with the first-time appearance of the young and dashing new character, Kyo Kusanagi, and his two friends Benimaru Nikaido and Goro Daimon.

It is then that you see the title sceen of the mind-blowing new game that had owned your very soul from then onward: The King of Fighters 1994!

The announcer shouts the title as you insert your quarters into the machine. To your amazement, you find that your curor is one the very team you were fond of: Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, and Joe Higashi! With the mere press of a button, your fate is determined as you assemble your warriors for battle with legends from across the SNK fighting and adventure world.

Making your way past team after team (and trying to hide that stiffy you got from fighting against the Women's Team) with your eyes oogling our of their sockets, you miraculously defeat the Art of Fighting Team, the Korean Team (with whom you nearly wet yourself when you saw Kim Kaphwan team up with a mini Freddy Krueger and some huge fat bearded guy with giant iron ball), the Psycho Soldiers Team, the Ikari Warriors Team, the American Sports Team, and finally, the upstart Japan Team.

Do you remember the first time you faced Kyo?

Remember how he nearly beat you to death with his life-sapping Orochinagi? How Goro loved to grab you from out of nowhere? How Benimaru loved to jump kick you and show you how "not straight" he was with his wierd clothes and zany winquotes?

I sure do...

After 6 long and arduous battles, you finally made your way to the mysterious boss, whose face you'd seen only in the pre-fight intermissions.

Little did you know that this guy, Rugal Bernstein as he called himself, would be your greatest challenge yet...

Do you remember the heartache the first time he defeated you?

Remember the forth and the sixth time too?

I sure do!

We all thought we'd never defeat this menace who sucked our life away like leech on a major artery! But our perserverance payed off when we sent this one-eyed wanna-be pimp packing as his aircraft carrier Black Noah exploded, taking with it Rugal's remains...or so we thought.

The tournament over and your friends thoroughly impressed, you called it a night and went home, only to find that the next year, a new challenge would be call for you.

Do you remember when you saw the spinning invitation on the sceen of the new game, aptly named, "The King of Fighters 1995" one year later?

Remember when you saw Terry's face again? The joy we felt back then when we saw the team edit feature.

I sure do...

This year's cast was slightly different for everyone watching around you. A new team and a "mysterious" yet obvious new boss welcomed your challenge.

*'Arashi no Saxophone' plays in the background*

Marveling at the new backgrounds and funky tunes that accompanied this new title, you made your way past team after team with Kyo and his friends, trying him out to test his worth. That was, until you saw the strange red-headed goth punk heading up the new Team U.S.A.

Do you remember when you butchered his name as you tried to pronounce it?

Remember jumping up and down ecstatically when you saw Billy Kane and Eiji Kisaragi in the background of the smoggy, sunset-filled, background that was a SouthTown factory?

I sure do!

Iori was more than anything you'd ever encountered before: cool, stylish, mean, sadistic, and "bad-ass" all rolled into one guy whose last name sounded worse than "Geese" when pronounced backwards.

Barely making it past him, you see that the person hiding in the shadows is noneother than that playa' reject Rugal from 1994. It seems that Rugal needed a new hand to do his dirty work (literally), so he kidnaps Kyo's father Saishu and brainwashes him to finish off the renown Japan Team, but Kyo barely makes short work of him before he faces his greatest challenge.

Back and wanting revenge for last years embarrassment, Rugal beckons Kyo to dance with him as his new red-eye glows and nuclear warheads arm themselves in his background. It's up to you to stop him and save the world...again!

After about 10 consecutive defeats, we're fed up with losing to this behemoth of a man and just go all out with him, finally sending his cyborg ass flying into the control mechanisms that govern the missiles, thus averting a nuclear armageddon.

Do you remember laughing at Rugal's pathetic face as he taunts you, saying that he'll be back?

Remember how relieved you were when it was all over?

I sure as hell do... *phew*

You went home and called it a night, only to find out that next year, 1996 called upon your impressive skills yet again.

Do you remember when you saw Blue Mary and Jubei Yamada in the lush, vibrant backgrounds that year?

Remember seeing all of those old and missing faces taking a backseat to watch you show off?

I sure do.

Another year, another quarter.

"Insert Coin."

*'Geese's Inner Pain' plays in the background*

More and more, Iori Yagami interested you, so you pick him and try out his new team (shocked that he nearly killed Billy and Eiji at the end of '95) when you discover that this year's game is the best one yet: a team composed of bosses from past AOF/FF games beckons you to challenge them.

As the Heavy Guitars blare in the speakers of Kim's new stage and the sun set on the dusty highway of destiny as Terry and Ryo(who shows off a new fighting stance) fight each other for the mantle of the "Strongest", you see that, "The King of Fighters 1996" is a year to remember.

The seemingly-immortal Geese Howard now fights alongside the menacing titan Wolfgang Krauser and their stick-toting, Don-"Chrome Dome"-Juan lackey Mr. Big. You fear them, because they have beaten you into submission many times in the past; but you take heart: this year's different, and the outcome will be too!

The new warrior woman Leona offers a different challenge this year as she uses blades and compact bombs to best you, but you don't give in to her strange might. Kasumi Todoh's visage pops up as another new face that summons you to fight. After suffering the fury of her counters, you make short work of her and the bouncy Mai Shiranui, though not without falling to King's beauty (or exploding shirt!) a few times in a row.

Down goes Mr. Big to Vice's hideous, bone-crushing grabs; then Baron Krauser to Mature's seductions; and finally Geeese Howard himself (though not without MANY continues!) at Iori's blade-like hands.

Do you remember the pride and accomplishment you felt when Geese finally kneeled in defeat?

Remember how Krauser's hearty taunts meant nothing now that he was down for the count?

I sure do!

But things were strangely different this year. A new boss challenged you in big auditorium for the title of "King of Fighters". You think she's a push over, but she proves otherwise, nearly having you beg for mercy at her illusionary feet.

Once she's down, you rejoice...or do you?

"A wind blows" is all you see before the wrath of heaven itself challenges you to a life-or-death battle to the finish by the name of Goenitz.

Do you remember laughing the first time you saw his name?

Remember how cool he looked with that nice suit?

I sure do!

However, we were ALL in for a ghastly suprise once we saw the remnants of the auditorium. Most of it destroyed by the tornadoes swirling in the background with SNK all-stars clinging to poles for dear life, it dawns on you that this boss is not like Rugal or Geese...he's FAR far worse!

Do you remember cringing when you saw Goenitz throw you from out of nowhere and beat you like there was no tomorrow?

Remember cursing his name and shouting at the cabinet before being told that you'd he thrown out of the establishment for blatant use of profanity?

I sure do!

The crowd marveled and gaped as you wasted money trying to defeat the unholy being that was Goenitz. It was getting late and closing time was in an hour, and you only had a few quarters left...

Do you remember the drive and focus you felt inside then?

Remember how it all came back to you and you finally got it right?

I sure do...

After pulling out the right moves, Goenitz was finished (and not a minute too soon!) and the world was saved for another year...or so you thought (again).

("Whew!" What a tough!" -- Wolfgang Krauser was right!)

You went home happy, but tired, and slept well into the next day undisturbed since you earned your reputation as a great one in the SNK hall of fame.

It was then that you understood the true meaning of the King of Fighters series back in 1996: to fight and have fun, but to also prove yourself to be the best of the best against anyone, man or god!

Do you remember asking yourself, "First Mizuki and now "Goe-nutz"? What was SNK smoking when they created this guy?!"

Remember knowing that your friends were still disciples of Capcom but you were fortunate enough to not get turned from the light?

I sure do...

*'Esaka Forever' plays in the background*

You were hesitant to walk back into your local hang-out this year for some reason or another. Hearing that other places were closing or that great games had been removed in favor of atrocities like "Killer Instinct 2" or "Mortal Kombat 3", we hoped that our favorite little place still lit a candle for us, even though the flame had dimmed throughout the years.

1997 was no exception.

A new year and a few new teams was the order of day with the appearance of, "The King of Fighters 1997".

Do you remember asking yourself, "Will this series ever end?"

Remember wondering when Eiji, Billy, Geese, and Krauser would make a comeback?

I sure do!

*Insert Token...PRESS START* as you watch the new year's intro. 6 new faces add to the line-up now, and you salivate graciously as Billy Kane makes his triumphant return, but you're nearly floored as you see him team up with the maniacally cool-sadistic combo that is Ryuji Yamazaki and the busty blond bombshell Blue Mary.

Do you remember getting a stiffy seeing Mary's standing animation redrawn for the K.o.F series?

Remember laughing out loud at Shingo falling flat on his face while trying to perform Kyo's Sunset Wheel kick move?

I sure do!

You weren't shocked to find Iori Yagami without a team this year, but you were suprised to find a new team in his former's place: the New Faces Team. The handsome, silver-haired hunk known as Yashiro was the first up, with his brilliantly animated standing animation. Then there was the mysteriously beautiful and buxom Shermie, whom you wanted to get to know intimately (like: WHY does her hair cover her eyes?! Can she even see?); and lastly, the younger newcomer Chris.

We doubted that even his snazzy moonwalk could save his annoying ass from a severe beat-down, and we were right.

Do you remember how strange the intermissions scenese were becoming?

Remember how we thought Iori would freak out again?

I sure do...

It was down to the finals and you had just pummeled the New Faces Team and began finishing off the Special Team of '97. Yet, in a startling turn of events, you discover that you now you must face either a rabid, cat-like, verison of the Ikari warrior Leona or the blood-vomiting, shrieking version of Iori Yagami.

Taking the Yagami route and being beaten to your senses by his incredible agility and strength, you finally defeat the warped fighter and beckon the boss...or bosses, as you soon found out.

Do you remember the anticipation of finding out if Chris was the final boss of K.o.F '97?

Remember wondering if Geese, Goenitz, or Omega Rugal would show up and hand you your ass again as they had done many times in the past?

I sure do!

But alas, this year's nemesis was even more uncanny then you thought. As the thunder roared both in heaven and on Earth, you stood your ground as Yashiro of the Parched Earth challenged you. Making quick work of him, you are then arcanely seduced by Shermie, who's body seems to drip with ecstatic lightning. Once she was out of the way, you grunted as Chris and his new-found flames nearly incinerated you.

However, it was not over yet...

Do you remember wondering what this whole "Orochi" mess was all about?

Remember watching in shock as Yashiro kills his beloved Shermie in front of everyone, and then committs suicide (but not before taunting you about how you will SOON die) before a dazed Chris, who seems somehow possesed and levitates above the ground?

I sure do!

And it's at that very moment that you witness the boy's transformation into the man-god called "Orochi". You stand astounded. This will be your greatest battle since Goenitz from last year.

You cower and cringe as Orochi has his way with you, only to find a small loophole in his design. You proceed to pummel him into submission, but not before he shows you (and the few people around who are still interested in SNK's signature series that are watching you) what kind of a "god" he is.

You witness Orochi raise his arm and are partially blinded by a bright light. You then see that your fighter is lying dead on the ground, never to get back up as Orochi taunts with his strange winpose. Frustrated, you take control of your second fighter and again watch as he/she is thrown into oblivion by the cheap god's wrath.

It is then that you pull out all of the stops and beat the shit out of Orochi with what's left of your last warrior.

The triumph we feel...the glory...the moment we had all been waiting for, finally at hand.

Do you remember wondering if it was truly over?

Remember seeing Kyo and Iori back at it before the credits role and say, "Those two will never quit."?

I sure do...

As the year stood by from the yawns and dead crowds around the local hang-outs, we wondered if there was still any life left in arcades anymore.

Capcom had come out with Street Fighter Alpha 3, Namco with Tekken 3 and Soul Calibur, and Midway with Mortal Kombat 4, but unfortunately they didn't help bring life back into the arcade gaming scene.

Sony was making a killing on the home entertainment scene with its PlayStation, and Nintendo was slowly being forgotten as it was being wiped out by its Pokemon creation. Sega had a new and final card up its sleeve with the coming of it's new DreamCast, but the outlook was grim.

Do you remember how no one really cared if there was another K.o.F to resurrect the great fighting spirit of SNK's past?

Remember how we thought the arcades would be a distant memory a year from then?

I sure do...

We thought SNK would fade out of the scene and let us down; but on the contrary, it brought us up!

Do you remember hearing that, "It all began in '94; Kept on rollin' in '95; The pieces were in place in '96; And it came to the end in '97..."

"Now it comes and here we go; K.o.F is here again; Nothing's gonna stop cuz' it's 1-9-9-8!"

Remember hearing, "Play that shit like you just got your motha-fuckin' check; you better come and pick up this game!" and knowing that K.o.F was back in it's former post '95 glory?

I sure do!

*'In Spite of One's Age' plays in the background*

Do you remember seeing the old faces of Heidern, Saishu, and Takuma side-by-side on the their own team, along with Yamazaki, Rugal, Shingo, Mature, Vice, Billy, Yashiro, Shermie, Chris, and Chizuru and knowing that you were in fighting game heaven?

Remember the stiffy you got when you first played, "The King of Fighters 1998"?

Remember when Franz shouted, "Where the FUCK is Eiji?!" when we first heard of '98?

Remember seeing the pic of everyone at the big pool party overlooking the huge mansion?

Do you remember wondering what the difference was between "The Dream Match Never Ends" and "The Slugfest"?

Remember arguing with your friends over which company was better, SNK or Capcom?

I sure do!

Remember when your friends would say that "Marvel vs. Capcom 1&2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and Tekken 3" were the best fighting games ever?

Remember when you would reply, "What about Kizuna Encounter?"

(And of course, they would retort, "We're talking about games, not movies!")

Do you remember the good ol' fun you had with your friends back in '94-'96 back at the local hang-out (that's now closed or moved or something worse)?

Remember when you understood the message, "The Dream Match NEVER Ends" and knowing that that's what it was all about?

I sure do...

*'Tears' plays in the background*

Well, that's it from me everybody! Hope you liked my little gift and I hope it becomes part of this site or some other SNK fan site that appreciates the amazing K.o.F series many of us have grown to love.

It's been fun here at N-G.com, but now, I must leave here and take my place in the world...

Thanks for all the great memories and coloful characters!

Sayonnara! *bows and walks off into the sunset*
You left out USA team in 98' crying

snkfever

Cheng's Errand Boy
great post, I remember in the local arcade when Streetfighter Alpha 2 and Kof '95 sitting side by side..

Those where the days buttrock

btw why leave, just come visit this place every now and then and post some ...

<small>[ May 18, 2003, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: snkfever ]</small>

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
How Long did this take you?
I just Lost 90 points off of my IQ and I have a test tomorrow thanks!

Just Kiddin' great story

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
:)

Nice one, man. I specially like the part about Franz, heh :D FRANZ!! FRAAAANZ!! buttrock ...sounds like a Skandinavian metal band.... buttrock

Seriously tho, there are a lot of cool things I remember about KoF. When the first game came out in 94, I played it and immediately liked the team battles, but it wasn't until 95 that I truly fell in love with the series. For me, KoF is bigger than anything ppl call fighting games, except for a few Capcom games perhaps (SFZ2 comes to mind).

And now the tenth KoF is in the making.......... please, let it be good.......

Q

qube

WOW, That was the best thing that I have read in a long time *stares at the stars*

Sometimes it is nice to know that you are not alone...that somewhere, sometime, someone else felt the same way I did about KOF.

Street Fighter, meh...s'all right

KOF- a legacy for all time smirk

Q-

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Nice one too. However, there's one thing I would like to add in the early part of the Iori introduction in KOF 95.

"Do you remember the first time you saw and heard Iori's laugh? Would that moment be forever cherished in your memory?"

But the rest, yeah. I remember a whole lot of it. KOF has pretty much been, and still is, in my soul. :)

Heck, I remember the first time I saw KOF, and it was 1995. By the time I even left the arcade room, hours later, that day I was using the title to describe what I felt about the game as a whole, from the whole team concept, the custom teams, the dodging, the crazy amount of character choices, the power-up strategy. The fact that I knew if I was to try to even be great with a majority of the characters, I would need 2+ years of consistent practice(which I did put into practice, but came short of my goal. I still didn't master that much and it was 1997 when I saw my next KOF(Arcades around here never got 1996)). In comparison to other 2D fighters I saw up until that time, it was like a huge leap into another dimension of 2D fighting. "This was truly, the King of Fighters."

I did play 1996 a lot, but I saw that after 1997. So I was out of order between those two.

<small>[ May 19, 2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Kirk Foiden ]</small>

That was truely beautiful. I got all teary eyed. Between KOF and Samurai Shodown, I never thought SNK could possibly get any better. Then they made Last Blade... I love being proven wrong sometimes.

SNK forever. I know my love will never die.

DinoX

Crazed MVS Addict
Someday I will tell my children the great stories of SNK's glorious days, perhaps even in a song format. Then they will look at me and say, "wtf you talking about old man? c'mon we need to finish that PS4 game we just bought".

<small>[ May 20, 2003, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: DinoX ]</small>

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Awesome post. Sometimes I lose faith in this site, and some of it's members. But then, something like this happens.
It's awesome to see that someone else out there really LOVES SNK.
buttrock
And sorry for not seeing many of your posts, but if they were all like this, you will be missed.
Good luck with what ever you do.

snkfever

Cheng's Errand Boy
DinoX:
Someday I will tell my children the great stories of SNK's glorious days, perhaps even in a song format. Then they will look at me and say, "wtf you talking about old man? c'mon we need to finish that PS4 game we just bought".
I hope that by then I will show my kids AES King Of Fighters 2015 or something... And I know for sure it will own Tekken Fag Team 12's ass for free even though Tekken might have 100% digitized actors by then buttrock

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
As girlfriend of said Rugal nut, I have to say that this ode of ectasy by true warrior of KOF has made me appreciate the hours of being ignored. No really. I now understand the complexity and drive to complete such a mission. And the banal trivia now becomes very interesting. Its an institution that has taken over the minds of a generation............COOL. I expect now that I have made my admission of admiration I have now no choice but kick my b/f's arse at it (it has happened - hey you! Stop laughing at the back!) I now have a reason to be a part of this phenomenon. Thank you.

Tenshokyaku

King's Dry Cleaner
Only a true enthusiast could have written that...now where's my kleenex 'sniff'

Ah, the glory days of gaming. When owning a Neo Geo automatically made you one of the coolest people in the world. I can't help but picture all my friends and I sitting around a TV when we are all old and senile playing Neo Geo fighting games while we try to convince our grandkids why they should stop making fun of the 'greatest gaming system of all time'. My god...how horrifying...

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Yeah, those were the days. God, how I miss 1996(as far as experiencing the latest KOF that came out that year went). frown