KOF NESTS Saga: Good or bad story?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I see the NESTS saga as getting a lot of undeserved flak because it's always being compared to the Orochi saga, and let's face it, nothing compares to the Orochi saga since the story was probably a very tight script, they just released the installments from 95 to 97 so there were few bones to pick. NESTS saga was a little bit cliche with the clone idea, but I thought it was a pretty decent story overall as well, K' rebels and for some inexplicable reason, he was drawn back to the King of Fighters tournament to compete, and made his way back to the original creator who intended to use him as a puppet, but not expecting K' to burn the puppet strings that once bound him. What's your thoughts? discuss.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I think the NESTS saga was nice as well as the Orochi one.

SNK switched KOF style toward cyber and techno since 99. You may see a total rework of the game style in starring characters, drawing, and general graphix and layout. The clone theme and the whole NESTS saga fitted very well with the new guideline imho.

Also, while in the Orochi saga the character actually involved in the storyline were really few, with the NESTS saga they tried to drag the Ikari team in the eye of the storm as well, with the introduction of Whip. We had more character strictly related to the main storyline instead of subplots. Nice thing I say.

<small>[ May 01, 2003, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Shito ]</small>

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
At first I thought is was good, but then that all came crumbling down when I saw the word...clone! I'm sorry, but any storyline about cloning just gets fucked up in the in. It wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't so many...Krizalid, K', Kyo-1, Kyo-2 and that one guy whats his name K9999 or something like that...It just got annoying.

Orochi_Flava

Over Top Auto Mechanic
It could have had potential, but it was poorly executed.

Also, after 98, too many good characters got the axe and were replaced with lame new one's.

Let's see, We lost Yashiro and got...BAO?

Lost Yamazaki and got Krizalid?

No geese, but we got WHIP?!

Biggest problem was K's design wasnt that cool, and he didnt really have spirit...he just kinda went along with whatever happened.

I had hope for 99's storyline simple because I thought it was cool that K and Maxima's teamwork and trust was cool. After that year though..they didnt really mention it much.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Shito:
[...] SNK switched KOF style toward cyber and techno since 99. [...]
That's a good way of putting it.

I follow the KoF storyline but I'm no real story buff to be honest, so I can only say that I liked the more mythical Orochi story better.

It would be awesome to have a comprehensive official KoF story guide in English with a good selection of artwork from all the KoFs. Is there such a thing?

The True Warrior

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Takumaji:
Shito:

I follow the KoF storyline but I'm no real story buff to be honest, so I can only say that I liked the more mythical Orochi story better.

It would be awesome to have a comprehensive official KoF story guide in English with a good selection of artwork from all the KoFs. Is there such a thing?
Have you tried Galactica Phantom?

<a href="http://www.puar.cjb.net" target="_blank">http://www.puar.cjb.net</a>

And do I have to explain the WHOLE N.E.S.T.S story over again just so it makes sense to everyone?

Comparing N.E.S.T.S story to Orochi is like comparing apples and oranges: two completely different things with only one big thing in common (in KOF's case being only certain teams) does NOT work!

<small>[ May 02, 2003, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: The True Warrior ]</small>

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The True Warrior:
Takumaji:
Shito:

Have you tried Galactica Phantom?

<a href="http://www.puar.cjb.net" target="_blank">http://www.puar.cjb.net</a>

And do I have to explain the WHOLE N.E.S.T.S story over again just so it makes sense to everyone?

Comparing N.E.S.T.S story to Orochi is like comparing apples and oranges: two completely different things with only one big thing in common (in KOF's case being only certain teams) does NOT work!
The link doesn't work, the proxy on our local network can't connect to the website. Will try it at home later on.

Guess ppl judge the two storylines based on their tastes. IMO, some parts of the NESTS story "feel" quite blunt. Everytime it sounds plausible, another clone shows up and turns the whole thing upside down, that's my main gripe with it.

The Orochi myth gave us very cool charas, O. Chris, O. Yashiro, O. Shermie... ...and the NESTS story? Kyo clones, Kula, K9999, Foxy and Angel. Hmm...

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Although I respect True Warrior for being able to explain the progression of the NESTs story, comparing it to the Orochi story is not apples and oranges - these are both KOF stories, and that's a fact. They both include KoF characters. The problem with NESTs is that the KOF characters as a whole are so disconnected to the saga now that they have become fluff filler.

So anyhow, I felt that the Orochi Saga better utilized the character lineup than the NESTs sage has. And moreover, the bosses in the Orochi Saga were much much cooler. No gay technology suits like Zero's or Igniz's. And worse off, the NESTs bosses and main characters of K' and Maxima are the most homoerorit bunch ever to grace the RGB (Magnum PI as Zero, some really gay looking blod guy as Igniz).

Like NESTs if it be your will. I just find the whole thing really lame.

Rade K

20 Year Member
Krizalid was the best of all the bosses during the Nests mess. Yeah, lots of leather and whatnot but you have to admit that it was nice to have a complete change from mystical to technological. Even if it was mediocre. What WERE they thinking with Zero though. The fart move? The stash? He looks like my music instructor.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Rade Kuruc:
Krizalid was the best of all the bosses during the Nests mess. Yeah, lots of leather and whatnot but you have to admit that it was nice to have a complete change from mystical to technological. Even if it was mediocre. What WERE they thinking with Zero though. The fart move? The stash? He looks like my music instructor.
Most anything is a welcome addition instead of rugal. :rolleyes:

bokmeow

Rade Kuruc:
I heard about this fabled move. Does anyone have a picture of it? I always thought he was pretty gay looking though.

Orochi_Flava

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Just stay crouch blocking while you are next to him...he will go into the famous fart move.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
EvilWasabi:
And worse off, the NESTs bosses and main characters of K' and Maxima are the most homoerorit bunch ever to grace the RGB (Magnum PI as Zero, some really gay looking blod guy as Igniz).
Yeah, I always thought the moustache on Zero in KOF2000 really really detracted from his appearance.

Instead of seeming intimitating, dangerous, or bad-ass, he just kind of struck me as a washed-up cop in a power suit.