*Sigh* Rugal 98

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I can't solidly beat this bastard, I was shocked I managed to do it on team mode lvl3, I'm not bad at kof, honest, I just can't handle the bosses.

I need solid, working tips, yeah its obvious, AB roll the fucking huge balls, and don't jump, but I just lose 90% of the time.

Any help. frown

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
the only way i got to beat Rugal in 98 (pretty trciky boss IMO) was to use O.Chris and use his QCF+A,C. He keeps jumping into it once you get him to fall for one. Other than that good luck

skam

Super Spy Agent
cheap as hell, but if you run at him and then pull off an anti-air when you're up close, 8 times out of 10 the stupid twat'll jump just before and let you land the hit.

Body rip

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Man I can remember way back when in an older thread that you told us of his ownage of you...

I feel your pain...

It sure as hell ain't much, but yes...you have a better chance of winning in advanced mode. Stay somewhat at mid range so he won't toss the plasma shots (that's my experience). If you play the full court game, you will be fighting his projectile more than him.

All I do is stay close enough that his basic attacks (being long range) glance my guard...his extension is amazing. I just roll on by when he's attacking, then nail him with my best combo for the character I'm using. That's honestly all I do. Sometimes you'll even end up behind him, (if you're a tad closer).

If you get too roll happy or you roll when he's not attacking, he'll start to fire a rapid low jab and a leg sweep to connect you as you ememrge from the evade tactic. Never throw projectiles at extremely close range, and of course keep the jumping to a minimum if at all. Both can and will bring about the Genocide Cutter as a counter of sorts.

Good luck.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Heh, yeah this isn't my first thread, :)

I'm ok at rolling through his fireballs, and I usually stay within half a screens distance of him, I agree he does tend to go crazy with plasma balls if you are too far out, and his teleport crusher thing.. ouch.

I just need to inflict more damage when I roll through, I get hit by too many balls.. and tend to jump in for some reason, even though I know I'll get sliced in half.

Just too many balls, I'll roll out of one, and be blocking the next or come out of the roll and stand up into one.. sigh..

*turns on neo*

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
The only way I can defeat '98 Rugal consistently is to constantly roll through his attacks and throw him.

DinoX

Crazed MVS Addict
Just pick takuma and keep throwing the slow big fireball, it's ridiculous how easily he keeps falling for it. Or just pick iori and keep throwing his slow fireball, he blocks the first one and jumps right on top of the second one.

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
Pick Ralf and just keep doing the Ralf Kick.You will fly over his fireballs and kill him in about 6-7 hits.

Giby

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Choose a chara with a good ranged jumping D. Back out to the left corner and wait till he rushes in for an attack, then keep on jumping back into the corner and do jumping D's. You will hit him 3 times out of 5. If you want, you can combine that with the rolling+combo technique, do jumping-D's in the corner, roll through the next attack and do a small 2-in-1 combo from behind, then try to roll through him again into the left corner and repeat. Just don't try to super-jump over him (better don't jump at all).

IIRC, the projectile trick alone doesn't work well on diff settings higher than MVS, but using Takuma is always a good way to damage Mr. "I will do Genocide Cutters until you're tired" Rugal. Playing with Tak, I start with a few projectiles (mixed A's and C's) while making sure NOT to back out a screen length, then roll through the first few frames of his big round blast for a small combo or knock-down command attack. If I feel brave, I try a cheapo charge db,f+D -> qcb+P while he gets up or super-jump back into the left corner for some jumping-D's.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
woo thanks for the tips..

funnily enough I usually beat him with tak/yama/yash

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
kernow:

if you use yama throw back the fireballs.
the timing is quick though.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
rarehero:
kernow:

if you use yama throw back the fireballs.
the timing is quick though.
hcb+c
hcb+c
hcb+c

:D

Orochi_invisibleink

Ghost of Captain Kidd
i used billy kane, o. yashiro, and benimaru

it seemed more like luck to me the one time i did beat him since i had tried about 20 times previously but hey a win is a win

SN K'

Armored Scrum Object
Orochi_invisibleink:

it seemed more like luck to me the one time i did beat him since i had tried about 20 times previously but hey a win is a win
Luck nothin' I beat him for you mr_t

hyde

Super Spy Agent
use daimon, kyo, iori

just do the 2363214c dm for iori whenever rugal does the fireball.

Orochi_Flava

Over Top Auto Mechanic
You could always trip him to death with Lucky.

Just stay about 2 characters lengths away..stick out a jab...Rugal will always go for his fireball...trip him.

As rugal is getting up...throw lucky's basketball and rugal will go back to throw his fireball...trip him again...repeat.

From far away, lucky's standing D is also good to punish missed rugal moves.

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Just pick a character with a full-screen projectile attack (like Takuma or Terry) and keep doing the A-button version of it. Sometimes Rugal rolls through it, sometimes he blocks it, sometimes he reflects it (you have plenty of time to block or dodge it), most of the time, he gets hit like an idiot.

It's stupidly easy. Seriously.

Sickliquid86

Galford's Armourer
Real Bout and Advanced mode. Pick a character I.E Andy who has there real bout version avaiulable (hold start-portrait should change)then use cheesy fireballs out the ass and DO NOT JUMP! This is all I can suggest he is a tuff bastard blow_top

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Sickliquid86:
Real Bout and Advanced mode. Pick a character I.E Andy who has there real bout version avaiulable (hold start-portrait should change)then use cheesy fireballs out the ass and DO NOT JUMP! This is all I can suggest he is a tuff bastard blow_top
Just, anybody with a full-screen projectile, Real Bout Andy, Takuma, Kensou, whatever, just stay all the way on the other side of the screen and keep throwing A-button projectiles. If Rugal tries to get close, run away and throw more A-button projectiles. It's ridiculously easy, really, it is.