New KOF purchase question

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Only my second post on these forums, so hi to all.

One quick question, which has probably been done to death in some form or another at some point, but I'll pose it anyway. I've got KOF 94, 96, and 98 and am now interested in getting one of the KOFs that uses the Striker system - if my spare loot were unlimited, I suppose I'd just buy them all, but that's not really a possibility (I've only got an AES system).

Basically, I'm trying to decide between picking up either KOF 99 or 2000 - I've heard that graphically and musically, 99 takes the cake, but that 2K has a better implementation of the Striker system. However, I've played neither game, and so am only going on reviews, etc. Thoughts from anybody? Since I can only get one of them, I'd like to know which of these two carts people think I should pick up next.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
2000 makes the best use of the striker system imo. You can call them most anywhere (unlike '01 and '99). I love both '99 and '00, but if you're interested in striker madness, '00 is for you.

Body rip

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
'00 definitely has a more concentrated system implementation on strikers, that's an unrivaled fact. At times it can be chaotic though.

However, I find myself playing '99 much more. Some of the music in '99 is legendary as far as the series goes... Korea's theme, AOF theme, Krizalid second form theme, Kyo's theme. ('00 has a good AOF theme if I can remember)

I'm not really big on the strikers, (I rarely call them) and '99's atmosphere just does it for me.

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
King Of Fighters 2000 for sure. The ability to call strikers in at any time makes it the best KOF game to use the striker system in.

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
More beauty and heart-KOF`99
Quicker gameplay and larger appeal to other gamers-KOF`00

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
KoF 2000 is the better choice simply because of the variety of gameplay (strikers, new characters, etc.) However, I personally think that the backgrounds, music and story in the game are terrible, particularly after '99.

But then again, I look for gameplay first, and then everything else is a distant second. :D

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Thanks for the responses - I guess I'll probably look to pick up '99 next, based on the "atmosphere," since it seems it can be found for a lot less (70-80 bucks less) than 2000. Hopefully, by the time I get sick of playing '99 a few months down the road, the price of 2000 will drop a bit more!

grapplerJoe

Overtop Pathfinder
Phoenix Down:

But then again, I look for gameplay first, and then everything else is a distant second. :D
I agree buttrock

Gameplay is important buttrock buttrock buttrock

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
When people say that the gameplay in 2000 is better than in '99, is it a question of control? Speed? Is the better gameplay there in 2000 because of a better Striker system? Or is it more of a basic control issue?

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Ah, I'd say the controls are much more looser in '00 than in '99. '00 also allows you to chain many moves and attacks that you couldn't before, so its quite easy to just pick up and get into. Special moves and DMs are a breeze to pull off. A bit faster, too.

The strikers are a lot easier to call in, and you can summon them while executing a combo, for crazy (and cheap) infinites. No more super DMs that do more damage(and look cool) though.

In terms of animation, backgrounds, and music, '99 edges over '00 in my mind. Many memorable tunes, and some great scenes. But its gameplay feels a lot tighter(ie stiffer) compared to 2K. Some say more technical, but you get the drift.

If it were up to me, I'd still take '99 over '00, just for the debut of the new "style"(cyberpunk!).

Oh well, what does it matter, just get what you feel like playing first. Who cares about everyone elses opinions, right?