KOF2001 Changes to Character

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
No... not another thread that's asking about characters that should appear...

This one is all about characters that we pretty much know WILL be in KOF 2001, and the changes that made be made to their fighting style. Like for instance, now that Kensou finally gained his psycho power back, will he gain back all of his fireballs and sonic blasts like in KOF '98? Will the dreaded Bao lose his Psycho Power (since technically it's now in Kensou) and have to come up with entirely new techniques, similar to the style of Kensou from '98-'99? And if Daimon & Chizuru make the cut and become useable characters, then what type of new techniques would you want to see with them?

Personally, I'll focus on Kensou... I seriously hope that he DOESN'T get his fireball back. Taking his projectile away has opened up a whole new way to play him, and people are now used to using him as an in-close character... with the projectile, people got too lazy and tried to use keep away tactics that just don't work with Kensou. If they do give him a projectile, I kinda hope that it's short range... but they need to keep all of his other stuff there. Maybe give him back the ability to combo after the double kick launcher (minus the whole infinite thing), and make his automatic 3-hit on the ground interruptable... so that he can do maybe 2 moves and end with an uppercut. Lastly... maybe change his overhead hop kick (Fwd+B) a true overhead again, like in KOF '95. That might be asking for too much, but if I was to make my version of the "ultimate" Kensou, this is what I would do.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
I got some doosies so get ready:

This is base on KOF99 and what I heard of KOF2K, btw:

Athena: Lose the teleport,phsyco shoot and the physco throw. Give her a DM that can only be done on the ground. A low D with reach would be nice also.

Kensou: Give him back the old QCFx2+punch DM from 97-98, while keeping the other DMs.

Iori: Lose the scum gale for crying out loud. If Athena and Benimaru can lose their throws, why can't he. Change the SDM version of the maiden masher to the way it was in 96-98.

Terry: Add the fire kick, lose the round wave, and add the buster wolf DM.

Andy: More priority on moves, the sho ryu dan mostly and add the SDM from RBFF.

Mary: Change the exeucution of her counters (Hate going for a throw DM and getting a counter instead.). Change the straight slicer and follow up to the RBFF version (Safe even if you fail to connect with follow up since the straight slicer knocks down.).

Robert: Give him his f,b,f+kick move from AOF. A good standing close/standing C (The way it was from 96-98). Change his diving kick move back to QCB+kick.

Ryo: Lose the f+b/df+b moves.

Yuri: Ko oh ken loses charging ability and comes out fast enough to combo again. Lose the knuckle move. Change the slipstream slap motion to HCB+punch and make it blockable but fast enough to combo like in 95. Haoh sho ko ken returns to being a DM.

King: Lose the HCF+punch move. Make the double strike a DM.

Joe: Give the golden heel some recovery to it. Bring back the 96 taunt.
biggrin.gif

Takuma: Lose the charge move and the DF+b. Tweak priorities. Make HCB+kick move blockable but comes out fast enough to combo like in 95.

Clark: Give him back the vulcan punch. Change the HCF+punch throws back to the way they were in 98.

Ralph: Change ralph kick execution to d,u+kick.

Kim: Give him back the QCB+punch move from 98.

Chizuru: Better have some offensive moves added that don't involve teleporting.
mad.gif

Daimon: Lose the QCF+kick move. Stump throw can't pick up grounded foe.

Whip: Give her a 2nd DM (How about Lenny's?). Is that too much to ask?

That's all I can think of for now.

---------------------------------------------

"Don't be scared! I'll only cut off one of your heads! Guess!"

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
I'll focus on my team:

Kyo - I'd love for them to bring back his '98 DM but that's asking too much. Revert his Orochinagi back to that of 99 status... insane invincibility upon startup.

Iori - Give him back his QCF x 2 + K DM. If turtlers like King can combo her DM off anything, Iori should be able to too. Keep the Scum Gale. It's great to use against opponents who are totally defensive.

Clark - Add some new moves. Change the way some of his normals work. Either increase his speed and lower his priority or vice versa.

Kim - Agreed, his QCB + P should be back. However this'll make DMs a lot harder to combo (shortcut in '99 and 2000 was QCB + P, HCF + K). I still miss the DM that Jhun now has and also his Kusajin.

------------------
I eat King sized pancakes for breakfast, Terry-aki burgers for lunch, and meat Jhun with sloppy Joe and Kim chee for dinner. All I need is Kyo to BURN'em.

The Colonel

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I think they need to change the games basics, eg
1/. Give the characters a speed blur move which when activated by pressing B+C (yay no strikers)will make your character dissapear and reapear in there preset location. there should be some lag while reapearing but not to much lag. You can do this anywhere on the screen including the air, but you cant do it while being attacked (ie in your gaurd pose)
& some characters can reapear in the air & just drop onto the opponent for a combo starter. You only can do this once a match for each character. Now thats anime fighting for ya inputted into a game.
I thought of this quite sometime ago so it may seem a little rushed right now.

Ellipse

NEST Puppet
I'm actually going to try to sound intelligent. . .

First, Whip does need a second DM.

Second, Kyo should get his No Style DM back.

Third, Robert's projectile should be a bit more visible. He's beginning to act like Guile. . .

Fourth, K's Heat Drive should be the SDM (if they even have any).

Finally, I need to shut up.

Goenitz2.0

n00b
Personlly, I like the way that nearly nobody has fireballs anymore. Well, not TRUE ones.

But I'd like to see them go back to either having two modes, or just having the extra-ish mode. And either way, Please give us our SDMs back!

And I think that some, like Ryo's super where he says "Ichigekin Hissatsu" be SDM only, like the Galactica Phantom.

And maybe some new supers to go around? I mean, Ralf hasn't had a new one since 96, and I don't know HOW long it's been since Ryo got the Ichigekin Hissatsu...

-Forrest "I'm not going into more detail" Walker

------------------
Goenitz2.0: Stronger, faster, and 1.5 times more alive than ever before.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YeldellGW:
I got some doosies so get ready:

This is base on KOF99 and what I heard of KOF2K, btw:

Athena: Lose the teleport,phsyco shoot and the physco throw. Give her a DM that can only be done on the ground. A low D with reach would be nice also.

Kensou: Give him back the old QCFx2+punch DM from 97-98, while keeping the other DMs.

I would hate it if Athena lost her Psycho Teleport... the other moves you mentioned could disappear without any major issues (especially the Psycho Shoot)... for another super? Not really sure, considering that she pretty much has two that work pretty well (even though the '98 SDM Phoenix Arrow Glitch doesn't work anymore). But if you were to actually give her a new super, either make it the Psycho Sword DM from SNK vs. Capcom, or make it some sort of move where she has a special color Psycho Reflector that will either weaken or stun opponents who touch it. To make it fair, this version of the reflector wouldn't be able to reflect fireballs.

As for Kensou? His unblockable Blast Super was cool (a little overprioritized, but cool in a tight situation), but I always wanted to see an aerial super move using his in-air QCB+A/C move.

For Chin?
biggrin.gif
Simple... just give him back his combo ability off of his Standing B and up close Standing D. No extra supers or moves needed. Trust me on this one...

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VinylBoy:
I would hate it if Athena lost her Psycho Teleport... the other moves you mentioned could disappear without any major issues (especially the Psycho Shoot)...

Heh...don't mind me. I like Athena but teleports aren't my most relied moves (I seem to get hit out of them every time.). Just thought of some more character changes:

Shingo: DP+kick combos like it did in 98. Weak shingo kick comes out fast enough to combo again. Bring back the QCB+punch move.

Andy: Should swap the QCB+C move from 99 for his HCB+C move from RBFFS.

Leona: The RDP+punch move actually becomes a legit command throw.

Mai: Lose the QCBx2+punch DM and gains the SDM from RBFF2.

Joe: df+b knocks down again (Why are Chang and Mai the only characters whose slides still knock down?).

King: Same as Joe.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
i think everyone is fine xcept for robert he is way too guililized i think snk or eloeith (whatever) should avoid being influenced by capcom.

jeff bogard

FacJoe

New Challenger
Iie-Kyo,

why bring back the lag of ON in 99? It kinda sucks that it cant be comboed from da qcfKK or stand C. Personally, it's the version I hate the most.

Heh. Wanna see an overpowered Kyo?

Has DP move
Has RED Kick
Has FirePunches (all)
Has Counter
Has the doublekick jugglestarter
Has the new hcb B as a juggle continuer (is dat a word?)
Has da hcb D as his Koto Moon Positive (comboeable attack from KOF94-98)
Orochinagi DM (comboable)
His 'Galactica Phantom Lite' Punch DM from 2K (comboable)
A new Punch DM (or the old No Style from 98)
Cut da new axe kick animation
make da axe kick easily comboable again

Iori

Keep his new DM. Make it comboable. Make an SDM with da MaidenMasher as his 1st move, then the new DM as the finisher
biggrin.gif

K'

Damn Chain Drive. Make it not so powerful.

Vanessa and da other newcomers:

MAKE DEM NOT SO POWERFUL!!!

------------------
Look Dick Look. Look at Jane. See Jane Laugh and Play

Shingo_Yabuki

New Challenger
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FacJoe:

Iori

Keep his new DM. Make it comboable. Make an SDM with da MaidenMasher as his 1st move, then the new DM as the finisher
biggrin.gif

[/B]

Err,what're you talking about,you can combo Iori's Yami sugi in 2K,just do it from a close stand or crouch C.

I'd like to see a different ending animation for the SDM Ya otome,something like the lvl 2 from CVS or one where he lifts the guy/gal of the ground and blows them up with a HUGE explosion.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jeff bogard:
i think everyone is fine xcept for robert he is way too guililized i think snk or eloeith (whatever) should avoid being influenced by capcom.

jeff bogard

Please explain j.b. I play the hell out of Robert and his moves better suit me on offense than defense in 99 (Still haven't played 2K yet.).

ioriyagami

Cheng's Errand Boy
Some of the changed characters in 2001:-

Kyo=98 version complete+Hikigane+Mushiki
Iori=97 version complete+NailGail+2k or 99DM
Terry=98 version complete+Buster Wolf
Kim=98 version complete+2kDM
Kensou=98 version complete+99DM
Athena=98 version complete+PsycoShoot
Benimaru=98 version complete+99DM
Shingo=97+98+2000 version complete
Mai=98 version complete+2k version complete
Robert=98 version complete+2kDM
Ryo=98 version complete+2k version complete
Ralf=98+99 version complete
Clark=98+99 version complete
Leona=97+98+99 version complete
Blue Mary=98+99 version complete
King=97+98+99 version complete
Joe=98 version complete+99DM

Whew!Be back later.

------------------
It's like i'm assisting suicide.Hate not me,hate your weakness.

koolking

Super Spy Agent
Make the character moves like how they first came into the game and keep it how it is now as two choices as two diffrent modes or playing styles to perk things up.

Bufa

Crossed Swords Squire
I hope Kim gets a sort of energy addition to his moves, like the Hien Zan/Tenshou Zan was in Real Bout Special. nothing changing the way the moves operate, just something visual.

btw, i was wondering a lot about if Eolith would draw the sprites from scratch or just update a little from KoF 2000. and if they did change it, what sort of art style would it be like... (i'd love to see KoF characters drawn in the Garou: MotW style, that'd rock.)

shin-kyo

Lurker, ,
H"as da hcb D as his Koto Moon Positive (comboeable attack from KOF94-98)"

I prefer his 2k hcb+D move its a pretty good anti-air, have his Koto Moon Positive be hcb + a/c.. and have his counter as qcb+a/c

C

Cool_Hansome_Kid

I would want all characters moves and DM's merge with their older versions.That ould be perfect.
And by the way,Kim should lose his DM because that is a total bullshit DM and use that free space to fix his qcbhcf+K which had been simplified.Chang also should lose that"swinging his iron ball like a silly ape"DM as that was real bullshit too.His "nosepicking"move should counter air attacks too like Yamazaki's counter.
Iori's 2qcf+c should be improved like INvincibility during start.Yeah that would make it more useful.
Kyo's super-slow uppercut although improved a bit in Kof2000 i still dont like it because it looks stupid and silly.Instead try adapting Rock's dashing attack.
Last of all,Kensou should lose his infinite attack and Shingo should lose his "Kicking up and fall like a silly plane" move.Opponents will simply uppercut his poor face.

No STRIKERS,ANOTHER STRIKERS AND CHEAPIES.Just serious gameplay and graphics.