KoF Psychology - Your Comments

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
I need your comments. Warning, this post will be lengthy.

Yesterday I went against yet another Chinese player at my arcade. He and I have a bitter rivalry that stemmed from '99 a long time ago:

One day I was playing KoF '99 against the CPU. This was during the days when I hated competition (I still don't look forward to challenging a lotta people unless it's my friends). That dude challenges me. I go "blah, not another one." to myself.

He picks a team of Athena, Bao, and Mai plus I think Yuri as striker.

I pick my usual team, Kyo, Clark, Iori, and Kim.

I realized from the first day this was going to be hell.

He played one of the most irritating keep away games I've ever encountered. He did nothing but do that far Stand A poke with Mai and when I tried to get at him when he used her he would either do that flame thing, jump at me with a Stand C, or jump and do that muff diving thing (QCB + P).

His Bao was irritating too (and I learned to hate Bao from the start). Fireball all day, keep away like a coward and when I finally tried getting at him he'd do nothing but down Cs. He also abused Bao's C cheeze throw. When he entered counter mode he also started doing that fireball DM cheeze.

Athena was equally as bad. Fireball. I try to slide, he'd do her dwn D. I jump at him either Dm or dwn D, yadda yadda yadda.

I beat him eventually, muttering a few caustic words in his direction about getting some skill and variety in his gameplay. Apparently he heard these and stared at me with hatred for my comments. I just shrugged.

His friend plays. Plays a turtle game with Ryo and Takuma. To counter this I let him turtle and started tick throwing him all day. Force'em to block a dwn b with Kyo, get up to him, throw him.

Then it happens. When I do it against the turtler for the 5th time, that Bao user starts talking to me and goes. "What the **** are you doing that for?" I stare at the screen, I do it again. "You think this is funny?" I say nothing, keeping a poker face. "You f***er, get some skill and stop doing that."

I eventually beat the turtler also, letting up on the tick throwing to satisfy his anger. Played about 10 games against them and then left because I ran out of money and patience.

---

Yesterday I go against him. This year he plays the same guys but added Kula to the team, playing just as an equally irritating game (same stuff over and over again). He continues to abuse Bao's C throw and now Kula's C throw. To counter this I use the Joe striker thing against him. Note: I do not use striker infinites, I use him once to make my combos painful, for defense and/or for crossup games. See the other Joe striker thread.

He says all this stuff in Chinese to a couple of his friends. I know it had something to do with me.

Fortunately, two of my Chinese-American friends were with me. After purposely playing random so I could lose against someone else, one of my friends told me when we were outside the arcade:
"Hey, xxxxx <name left to protect the... innocent?> said 'Someday, I'm gonna kick your ass for this'."

xxxxx being the guy I have the rivalry with.

Freaked the hell outta me.

Before this incident my Chinese-American friend (same one who translated above) caught the player saying "If this was Hong Kong, you'd be dead by now." This after I beat 'em in 2000 with Iori's unblockable fireball bug (and note: His friends use it against him and he does not say anything at all about it).

What I'm wondering is what can I do at this point? He challenged me for heavens sakes and got irritated when he has an equally irritating gameplay. Should I be the hypocrite for putting him down in '99 and using a "cheap" stragety to beat 'em in both years? Is he the hypocrite for getting angry when I used normal throws and he did nothing but non-escapable multi-hit throws against me?

What should I do at this point? I see him at the arcades at least once a week and he does nothing but trash talk about me in Chinese and look at me with hateful eyes. Only thing that keeps him from probably doing anything to me is that he knows I have friends who can fight. I'm not much of a fighter myself but I guess I can at least keep myself from getting my butt kicked in a fight.

But I don't want it to degenerate to that. Is there any way to alleviate the tension between us or to at least keep him from constantly wanting to kick my butt?

Thank you for your time.

------------------
I eat King sized pancakes for breakfast, Terry-aki burgers for lunch, and meat Jhun with sloppy Joe and Kim chee for dinner. All I need is Kyo to BURN'em.

K' Evans

n00b
Gameplay wise, you did what you had to do to fight. If someone is going to turtle and fight with you like that, you do what you have to do to win. Who cares what he thinks? Unless you really are hard up on the fact that infinities and using cheap tactics is wrong, you did what you had to do at that point of time. The underlying thing is "at that point of time".

So now, you created your own Iori rival. And this really isn't about gameplay anymore. He is just pissed at you for winning him which is really the stupidest thing a person can do. Either way, he took it personally now.

Your choices now is to either make up with him or just continue playing as it is. Expect to keep on fighting until he gives up. Which can be over soon, you never know, maybe after a week, he will just leave it. Or if you are sympathetic, just talk to him with your friends and discuss it. It's really whether you wish to continue it until he gives up or he lets it go after some time.

Edit: One more thing. You might notice that you started the whole hated thing by saying "get some variety in game play skills" and stuff like that. Now you aren't wrong but you really shouldn't have judged him. He might have been a lousy player, or trying to win you since he knows he isn't that good. Point is, your comment ticked off a very personal vendetta against you. If he can't beat you in a KOF game, he will beat you in real life. That's what arcade fights are all about.

And Jet Li said that same quote "If this was HK, you'll be dead." in Leathal Weapon 4.

In the end, I think both of you are aware that it is just a game.

------------------
If you can't win, Buzz off!

[This message has been edited by K' Evans (edited April 21, 2001).]

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Yeah, I noticed that I sparked his anger. Unfortunately, his gameplay hasn't changed at all since last year (since they didn't change the characters that he used that much).

I'm not intent on making friends with him, but I do intend on settling this without any violence.

My friend did warn me that this player does know some shady characters in the Chinese underworld. For a lousy game I still don't understand why he's so intent on kicking my butt IRL. I guess I'll keep my mouth shut for now.

It's sad to see that some individuals simply can't control their anger. I do get annoyed when I play KoF sometimes but I don't do it to a point where I'll personally want to kill my opponent IRL.

I'll see what happens and continue to play... if this keeps up I'll lay off playing against this guy or offer my game to someone else to play against him. This is simply not worth it.

I guess he doesn't realize this but...

He's not in Hong Kong anymore.

------------------
I eat King sized pancakes for breakfast, Terry-aki burgers for lunch, and meat Jhun with sloppy Joe and Kim chee for dinner. All I need is Kyo to BURN'em.

ioriyagami

Cheng's Errand Boy
Don't worry about him too much.This happens with me as well.There is one guy at the arcade where i play who uses the same players except substitute Chang for Mai.He is so damn irritating.But i just beat his players by using Iori and then after he loses i tell him to improve his game but he just gets bugged and goes off.The way that i made up with him was that once he was in the arcade before me playing Kof99 and the CPU was beating the crap out of him.I just stood there and watched offering him some pointers from time to time and well he did not mind me at all from that time on.So it's all about presenting yourself.If that guy gets bugged on you then while u both r playing a match and u see that he has done something wrong correct him and believe me it might take sometime but he will warm up to u.And as for that Hong Kong crap,forget it.He was just tryin to intimidate u.Good Luck pal.

------------------
It's like i'm assisting suicide.Hate not me,hate your weakness.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Only thing he does wrong is that he botches combos 'cause he can't do the motions for 'em.

I really can't help him on that aspect, but I see what you mean. I did mention that I'm not totally intent on making a friend outta him though, I just want'em off my back.

Thanks for your advice, though.

------------------

EndLeSS

n00b
I dunno how I can help you, but I'll try my best. The last time gameplay came person to me was in like grade 6.

As for the game KOF, let up on him. When he plays, dun play.

As for everything else, this is some stuff SOyuncastor told me a while ago. He's from Mexico, and he told me fights break out often in the mexican arcades. He has gotten into scuffles himself as well. My advice to him (and you): Go work out at the gym. If push comes to shove, you can keep up.

But hopefully it won't go there.

l8z

------------------
"We are able to love passionately because we die"
-Rollo May, The Cry for Myth

Check out my KOF '98 Complete RALF FAQQQ!!!!
http://db.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/king_of_fighters_98_ralf_b.txt

PSY

n00b
sometimes the best counters to cheap tacts is to use a counter cheap tact which is just as cheap (excuse the grammar)

as K' said.. u did what u have to do to win

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
That's the thing, I don't want this to degenerate into a fight. Despite the fact that humans are evil little creatures I don't want to be one of 'em fighting.

The thing about "when he plays don't play" thing... I can't help it sometimes. I'll be playing against someone else and he'll appear with his group and challenge me. Should I just give up the game or purposely lose or just not play the way I usually do? Is it worth caring what he thinks about me. I guess not.

I don't know though, if I am that desperate to win a game to a point where I have to use these strageties, kinda makes me look at why I should be playing KoF at all. The game has lost its fun for me now. Even winning gives me no satisfaction anymore because a majority of my wins I guess weren't "earned" through total skill.

------------------

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
Hey Iie Kyo, don't stop playing KOF over this one little character, he's just mad. I mean, if you don't want to play anymore, then don't play, but then question what ominously pushes you over to the KOF machine at your arcade
biggrin.gif
. For me, a game never really gets old until i'm totally amazing at it, i can't improve and i suck, or if I've found something better (example: SFA3 -> KOF 99/2K
biggrin.gif
). If there is still room for improvement, and there are still better players out there, then i'm still going to play and continue to try to improve. It's the same way with me and StarCraft. I just keep playing to get better. I think i'm kind of like, OCD about winning and perfection, but not too much. By the way, how often do you go to your arcade? I go maybe once every few months!

------------------
31436715.jpg

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
Oh, one other thing, the reason i don't go to my arcade that much (strange quirk about me) is that if there's a game that's SO cool and i want it SO bad, i'll almost refuse to play it because i need to OWN it. Every time i'd play it i'd be like, i want this i want this! I gotta stop playing! arrgh!~
biggrin.gif
don't know where this comes from, probably from my werid OCDness... Oh well... I got my NeoGeo, didn't i?
biggrin.gif

------------------
31436715.jpg

Anecdote

n00b
What?! A Chinese player acted this stupid? I am ashamed, being a Hong Kong Chinese myself. He shouldn't bitch just because he can't beat you. That's that just nuts. If he isn't good enough, he should practice more or something.

Next time time you see him, tell him to go 'taah feekeeh'
smile.gif

------------------
"Your Street Fighter competitive edge", syeah right...

[This message has been edited by Anecdote (edited April 22, 2001).]

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
There's two Chinese players that act really stupid at my arcade, one is the guy I mentioned and the other is this Chang cheezer. Jump Ds all day with Mary and when I try to get close to him he sends in Seth. Jump CDs and Ds and Seths all day with King, etc. He talks Chinese while he plays if nobody's around and generally acts stupid enough for everybody at the arcade to hate'em.

I'm getting tired of the game because I don't feel I earned my victories in competition. Even though I kicked their butt I don't feel good at all that I did. The entire gameplay has really just been irritating me to a point where I question my KoF abilities. I'm pretty sure almost all the Chinese players at my local arcade hates me. Guys like this has made me feel rather disillusioned about the game.

NeoGeoML - I go to the arcade 2-5 times a week, mainly outta boredom. Something does keep me coming back to play KoF but I really don't know what anymore because I rarely smile when I play nowadays nor am I social with the players.

------------------

Muchiko

Mr. Big's Thug
I truly think that whatever tactic you use to win, it's okay. It's the whole point of the game.

Is Bao suppose to pressure all day? Hell no, unless you can win with it.

If a character has an in-escapable throw, why not abuse it? Especially Kula, her throw damage is crazy because it can do more damage than a command throw. The only problem with any abusiveness is that it's predictable.

2000 doesn't do so well with its throw system since throw attempts are risky and easily escaped (an exception are tick throws). You can eat a striker or a throw-escape then striker then DM for trying to normal throw.

About non-friendly competitions... the best thing to do is not to challenge them.

I really hate people that complains; if you don't like how I play, then don't play me.

The most annoying time I had in the arcade is playing this guy at my school in MarkOfTheWolves. He's simply a FatalFury fan, the only guy that plays FatalFury games. So I thought I'd challenge him in MOTW since no one plays KOF as usual. When ever i threw him, or accidently, he would shout out, "You cheap...cheap...throws cheap." It was so F***ing annoying. I beat him so many times but his annoyance made me left.

The funny thing is, now he's play Capcom VS SNK... hahahaha.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
I do the same sometimes, that is why I'm thinking of not playing anymore unless I'm sure it's against my friends or people at the arcade I know by friendly means.

You can sometimes win and make yourself look bad.. that other Chinese player at my arcade does that. In every game he plays he plays a character that has the following:
1) Cheesy moves
2) Easy combos
3) No-skill high damaging specials/supers
4) Ability to keep the guy away from them so he can run out the clock and win

Sometimes, gameplay is a reflection of your personality. I attack my opponent recklessly, which is a sign that I'm impatient and short-tempered. This Chinese player (not the one I'm talking about up above) seems to have the same personality as I do but is also a coward, talking more trash about others in Chinese to a point where my friends can pick it up almost every time they see him at the arcades.

My arcade seems to have lost its fun factor. Only game I like playing now is DDR simply because any competition there is friendly and I don't feel the pressure to win in that game.

------------------

Gaseous Snake

New Challenger
If you're gonna trash talk, then you're bound to get hostility. How do you expect him to react? Threats of violence are unacceptable but you're not blameless here.

Muchiko

Mr. Big's Thug
In every game he plays he plays a character that has the following:
1) Cheesy moves
2) Easy combos
3) No-skill high damaging specials/supers
4) Ability to keep the guy away from them so he can run out the clock and win

Well, almost every character has all of the above... he's smart to use those abusive moves to win. As skill is concerned, he only knows how to play a few chars.

Sometimes, gameplay is a reflection of your personality.

I don't see how it is... But if you see him talking trash, then he has poor self-esteem.

I have friends that you would consider cheap in KOF, but they're one of the nicest people I've met. And they all play differently, different characters/strikers/gameplay.

My arcade seems to have lost its fun factor. Only game I like playing now is DDR simply because any competition there is friendly and I don't feel the pressure to win in that game.

I've never played DDR (me can't dance).

The only friendly games you can receive in KOF is if both players respect each other's playing style.

I like fighting against King's keep away games... because I had to find my own ways around it and I had to think a lot. To win this guy using King/Kim/Bluemary I simply had to think more than five things at the same time. The bad thing was that my brain hurts afterward... then eventually, I lost again. ^_^

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gaseous Snake:
If you're gonna trash talk, then you're bound to get hostility. How do you expect him to react? Threats of violence are unacceptable but you're not blameless here.

I keep my mouth shut. After making that comment in '99 I never ever directed any harsh comments in his direction. In fact whenever I play him I stay silent and don't make any eye contact with him.

Blameless yes, I'm not blameless. But is it right for him to continue this on for over a year?

------------------

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Well, almost every character has all of the above... he's smart to use those abusive moves to win. As skill is concerned, he only knows how to play a few chars.

Compare Kyo to Chang... it's just different. Ever went against a guy who goes berserk in armor mode with Chang? One of the most difficult (and annoying) games to play against.

I don't see how it is... But if you see him talking trash, then he has poor self-esteem.

I have friends that you would consider cheap in KOF, but they're one of the nicest people I've met. And they all play differently, different characters/strikers/gameplay.

He likes running away a lot in games. He's come to my arcade with a black eye once and got banned for a week because he tried cheating the machines for extra credits....

I don't know...

I've never played DDR (me can't dance).

The only friendly games you can receive in KOF is if both players respect each other's playing style.

Agreed. That's why I enjoy playing against the local group of KoF players. They're a skilled bunch (and does none of that abusive stuff), fairly sociable and seems to be able to tolerate just about everything (except Seth strikers).

I like fighting against King's keep away games... because I had to find my own ways around it and I had to think a lot. To win this guy using King/Kim/Bluemary I simply had to think more than five things at the same time. The bad thing was that my brain hurts afterward... then eventually, I lost again. ^_^

Another problem. I don't like dealing with the same stuff over and over again. His gameplay isn't versatile at all. Hit once, hit hard, and run away. I get tired of having to counter it over and over again.

Ehh, looks like I'll take a break from KoF for a little while or at least keep my player competitions down to a minimum. I need to think this over.

Thank you all for your patience, open mindedness and tolerance. It's great to be able to discuss this kinda stuff with you guys without having to deal with flames.
smile.gif

------------------

Gaseous Snake

New Challenger
Hmmm... a year does seem an awfully long time to hold a grudge. Then again, there's this guy at my arcade who I really can't stand. Best thing to do is, if he challenges, play him. If you lose, just walk away. You don't have to play against people you don't want to. But don't walk away from a machine as soon as he challenges you. This sends the message that you think he's worthless and is just gonna raise the tension.

Anya Bolton

New Challenger
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gaseous Snake:
Hmmm... a year does seem an awfully long time to hold a grudge. Then again, there's this guy at my arcade who I really can't stand. Best thing to do is, if he challenges, play him. If you lose, just walk away. You don't have to play against people you don't want to. But don't walk away from a machine as soon as he challenges you. This sends the message that you think he's worthless and is just gonna raise the tension.

That's very good advice Gaseous Snake-Sama.

------------------
"kim ownz"
-Krizalid

"I ain't happy, I'm feeling sad
I've got sunshine in a bag
I'm useless-but not for long;
My future is coming on."
~Gorillaz

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Funny, one time I was being challenged by this one dude at my arcade. He's a hardcore Capcom game player. In the versus games he'd do that trick in which he'd launch you, and while you're being hit up go under you then launch you again, go under you and so on.

He's a shotokan dude (plays Evil Ryu and Ken and Akuma in SNK vs. Capcom, very original!). He's into tick throwing and cheezing and the like.

I never really could beat'em in any Capcom game and that's why I quit challenging him in those games.

One day he decides to take a crack at KoF '99. His KoF skills are mediocre at best. He picks characters like Ryo and Takuma probably because they look and sort of fight like shotos.

Somedays later, he challenges me at night. I beat him.

He challenges me again. I beat him.

I do this 10 or 20 more times. He beats me and I challenge him again with a different set of characters. Then he starts trash talking to me.

"You think you're so good huh." He says during gameplay. "Come challenge me at MY games [referring to MvC2, SF3: 3rd Strike, etc.] I'll give you an @$$ whipping. Just remember this, I beat you twice at your game and you never beat me in my games! I got all the money in the world here and I'll keep taking you on to beat you at your game!"

First time he beat me was sometime ago before this incident. I was using random and he used his team. I got a random I couldn't play effectively.

Regarding his comments, I could only mentally shake my head in shame for his actions.

Never, have I've seen anything as sad as this. In fact, I just gave up after 15 more wins and even more trash talking from him (I'm staying silent through all this, mind you). I got sick of his trash talking and gameplay so after I beat'em for the umpteenth time I just let go of my controls and left the arcade. Two of my friends were with me and they saw it too.

Ever since then he's kept to the Capcom games and I've kept to my SNK games. Apparently he realized the folly of his words.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Iie-Kyo (edited April 22, 2001).]

EndLeSS

n00b
Ok. I've been in the same situation as you.

Remember that time I said I quit KOF on the Philosophy/Offtopic forum at ON?

Well I got just as pissed as you. The guys that I were playing against played to win, cheap and all. Oro knows em...personally. I win when I can, and I enjoy an offensive battle. But when I play against them, win or lose, the matches are totally hollow.

My advice:

Take a break from KOF. Give it 2 weeks. Enjoy life.

Then when you come back refreshed, if you do play, play against your friends. That's what I did.

That's about it.

l8z

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Thank you, EndLeSS. That was what I was on planning doing myself before your suggestion. Methinks I really do need a break from KoF if I'm gonna get this tired and pissed just because they don't play an offensive game like I do. Have to think this over and maybe get some advice from my friends about my situation.

------------------

Krizalid

Marked Wolf
I don't see how Chang in Armor mode can do any harm. He doesn't have many chip moves and u don't get infinite dms in armor do u?
If he attacks, block and dodge if he has u in a corner. Teleporters like K' and Vanessa are good here.
I love reading other peoples' KOF stories.

Muchiko

Mr. Big's Thug

Compare Kyo to Chang... it's just different. Ever went against a guy who goes berserk in armor mode with Chang? One of the most difficult (and annoying) games to play against.

What you mean, Chang SUPPOSED to go into Armor Mode when he has three stocks because he's the best Armor Mode character... My friend and any good Chang would use Armor Mode to their advantage. It may be annoying but that's what Armor Mode is for.

Agreed. That's why I enjoy playing against the local group of KoF players. They're a skilled bunch (and does none of that abusive stuff), fairly sociable and seems to be able to tolerate just about everything (except Seth strikers).

Hmmm... the best players use Seth.

Another problem. I don't like dealing with the same stuff over and over again. His gameplay isn't versatile at all. Hit once, hit hard, and run away. I get tired of having to counter it over and over again.

Pressure games are as redundant as that. You get a lot of crossups and Low B's. If any jab hits, like from Kyo with Alt. Iori, you can start eating BIG ASS combos. You die much faster than any run away game.

Ehh, looks like I'll take a break from KoF for a little while or at least keep my player competitions down to a minimum. I need to think this over.

Any KOF games is fine as long as they don't get personal.

But really, the best KOF players turtle/attack/throw/etc. in order to win. I know a KOF player that is one of the best KOF97 player because he beats everyone here and in Taiwan. He can beat any cheap infinite/Orochi bastards in KOF97. He told me that he can beat anyone because he plays the game more than anyone, like 8 hours a day. However, you would consider him cheap because of his defensive games. But he knows everything about the game and he has fast reaction... Ultimately, he doesn't like 2000 at all because it's cheap.

For some reason I have different encounters from you at the arcade... My friends and I tend to play as CHEAP as possible against each other or against anyone we know. However, we try to play less cheap against other people because most people take things personal and have their opinions of what is cheap, or always complaining. I tend to walk away if any remarks is aimed at me.

About Capcom players... from my experience they basically hate SNK games, not all, but the majority. At SHGL in CA, anyone that plays Capcom games never touch any SNK games but they play other games, like DDR/Tekken/Shooters/etc. Even the #1 Capcom player, Alex Valle, show bias toward SNK. Most of them along with Alex try to play 2000, or pretend that they're trying out the game. But basically, it ended up with Alex calling my Jhun/Whip the cheapest KOF characters ever. ^_^ Hmmm... I thought all Capcom experts don't believe in cheapness.