NFT popularity contest

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
Seems most everyone loves the New Faces Team from 97. My question is - which character of the three do you like the LEAST?

For me it's definitely Chris. He just doesn't seem to fit with Yashiro and Shermie. Shermie's got that awesome haircut and just reeks of style (ie. the way she walks - not a care in the world). And Yashiro's got plenty of style himself. But Chris is just too plain for my liking. He's almost totally non-descript; just an average looking character. Some of his specials/DM's look cool (sliding touch DM is awesome) but all and all he just doesn't measure up to the rest of the NFT. I know he's just a kid and all; but SNK has alway done a better job on character design that this (IMO).

Batsu_Power

Armored Scrum Object
I agree with you 100%, Apathy Wind. Chris isn't that good and his voice is very irritating, IMO. Besides, his DM's aren't that flashy, either.

------------------
Sonomama Shine....
Beware of the wrath of Burning Batsu!.... and Dan's Super Taunts!!!

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
I wouldn't say I HATE Chris or anything. I don't hate any KoF character (I even don't mind Choi and Chang). It's just that he's definitely lacking compared to his teammates.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
I dislike the NFT as a whole. Come on, two of 'em sacrificed themselves to become the all-powerful Orochi but Chizuru, Kyo, and Iori STILL kicked his butt.
biggrin.gif

------------------
I eat King sized pancakes for breakfast, Terry-aki burgers for lunch, and meat Jhun with sloppy Joe and Kim chee for dinner. All I need is Kyo to BURN'em.

EndLeSS

n00b
I like NFT, both in style and gameplay. They're one of my best teams. But the point about Chris, he's not supposed to be fancy. The point is that you are supposed to wonder, why the heck is this kid supposed to be here?

And the you find out he's Orochi.

I think SNK did a good job of that, even though it's been done already in anime, it's the first time it's been done in fighting games.

l8z

------------------
"We are able to love passionately because we die"
-Rollo May, The Cry for Myth

Check out my KOF '98 Complete RALF FAQQQ!!!!
http://db.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/king_of_fighters_98_ralf_b.txt

Chris by far... weird character to use. Odd-ball moves. He was a lil bit better in 98 with his self keep-away game by teleporting all over the screen.

Later.

------------------
=*\/*=OrOchiNagI SAiYaN=*\/*=

ONRiP4NoW _\/_

Ellipse

NEST Puppet
Umm. . .they're a bit weird. . .weirder than me. . .I can't stand Shermie. She stole my laugh.

------------------
Stress: Your mind trying to restrain your body from trying to beat the **** out of the ******* who deserves it. --sign, restaurant.

koolking

Super Spy Agent
Ellipse is right chris and the nft is weird and Shermie did steal her laugh. If you could jsut bottle it then instant torture without any physucal evidence just kidding. Though it would violate the Geneva Convention.
------------------------------
Nasakenai

Dog

World Soccer '96
Huh, I think they're all good also. I've seen some excellent chris players, so I dun think he's crap, just not mastered by many yet.

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dog:
Huh, I think they're all good also. I've seen some excellent chris players, so I dun think he's crap, just not mastered by many yet.

I wasn't actually refering to the gameplay aspect. I was coming at it from a character design angle.

EndleSS: That's actually a damn fine explanation of Chris's 'joe average' design. I like that rationale a lot better than the "running past deadline" reasoning I had before. I still think his design is one of SNK's less appealing offerings, but at least they had a good reason to make him like that.

Heero Yuy

n00b
NFT was a great team even tho I didnt use them alot I did like their brand new blood they brought to the KOF era. They were young and brash not like some the originally guys that have been there since 94. I think the creators did a good job, oh yeah on Chris he is alright but I think he still wanky. Hey thats my opinion dont bust me
biggrin.gif

------------------
I maybe a fool, but Im a fool that always wins

aka~Demon Mexican

Sanctuary

n00b
The NFT was alright, but what I enjoyed the most of the NFT was their music. The way the company composed the music for the team was in my sense a good rythm. I especially enjoyed the music when you fought them in their Orochi state. It was a bland of rock, and orchestra which I do enjoy when they are mixed together makes my ears appreacite the time and effort put into the music.

------------------
sancsig.jpg

[This message has been edited by Sanctuary (edited April 20, 2001).]

Krusader

Rugal's Thug
Story-wise, Yashiro = Iori rival. I didn't really like that, it's giving the arch nemesis a rival, which seems lame to me.

I never really cared about the NFT. Never really saw the true appeal, I mean they're a band, not fighters... Yashiro's the only one who can fight. Shermie just fights cuz she has to and Chris... I don't even know what the heck he's doing there.

The only thing that gives them reason for being in the whole tournament is the Orochi thing, and even then I think its kind of wierd that all three just happened to be of Orochi bloodline.

PSY

n00b
Story wise - Chris.. he just doesnt seem to have very much of a personaliaty..

Gameplay-wise, i am pretty good with Chris and Shermie in both 97 and 98, but i totally suck at Yashiro... so hes the choice here...

ioriyagami

Cheng's Errand Boy
Well guys i'm all for the NFT Team.They were great no matter what.

------------------
It's like i'm assisting suicide.Hate not me,hate your weakness.

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EndLeSS:
I like NFT, both in style and gameplay. They're one of my best teams. But the point about Chris, he's not supposed to be fancy. The point is that you are supposed to wonder, why the heck is this kid supposed to be here?

And the you find out he's Orochi.

I think SNK did a good job of that, even though it's been done already in anime, it's the first time it's been done in fighting games.

l8z

About to post the exact same thing and then I saw this.... Totally correct, leave Chris as the silent, nothing special guy at the back, and then let him surprise everyone by becoming Orochi... when I first played KOF 97, I didn't see it coming..... Great work SNK
smile.gif

BooBoo

New Challenger
My least favorite member of the NFT is Shermie, she just irritates me for some reason. Chris is fun to use, I like Yash best, I guess.

98 Orochi Yashiro, D-button colors. PUNK YASHIRO RULES, hehehe.

Yojimbo

n00b
Shermie (gameplay)

Far to similar to Clark for my liking in terms of moves.

Chris (overall)

The only thing I like about his design is his moonwalk while walking backwards.

In all honesty, Ive never given Shermie the time of day, although Ill have to rectify that since I just picked up regular (non-Orochi) Yashiro on accident, and found that he was great. I overlooked him, too, and ended up loving him.

As for Chris, I like him all right. More than Shermie (Who, as stated above, I havent spent any time with), but Ive GOTTA love Chris for his Orochi music in '98. You know, it starts out kinda sounding like a little music box, and then takes off from there. Whenever anyone came over to play '98 and they picked Chris, it was understood that he was to be first in their lineup so we could hear the bloddy music.

::ahem:: I like their '97 Orochi music, too.

------------------
iori%20king%20small.bmp

Angels who are forced out of Heaven have no choice but to become demons.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Yashiro seems pretty cool, and Shermie fills the necessary criteria for video game cheesecake. Chris is just a puny little nancyboy that should have his guts stomped out for having that blankly pleasant stare on his countenance all the time.

Chris is the drizzlin' sh*ts...

Taiso
"Because of my bloody life, it was no accident that I was involved in the troubles..."

N

NeoMarK

"98 Orochi Yashiro, D-button colors. PUNK YASHIRO RULES, hehehe. "

D color Orochi Yashiro is so bad ass, best character design in the game IMO.