Quality of KOF on DC

fomaman

King's Dry Cleaner
I was on shoryuken.com and some guys were bashing the quality of KOF on the DC. I have both KOF games on DC, and i have KOF98 on the
GEO, and i love the DC versions. i mean, one guy went so far as to say "THE kof games look horrible on the DC" WTF? am i just hoprlessly in love with any KOF game/conversion or does anybody want to back me up here?

I was not that happy with the conversions but they aren't really that bad. Overall the two KoF games on the Dreamcast are good games but I felt no need to get them after playing them because I thought the Neo Home version was better. But to those out there without a Neo, I would highly recomend getting either game, they are both good.

ShinGo585

n00b
Only differences i really noticed were the remixed tracks, and the character sprites are alot smaller on the DC ports.

Batsu_Power

Armored Scrum Object
If you thought that KOF in the DC had bad load times, Look at the Playstation versions. They're HORRIBLE!!!!

------------------
Sonomama Shine....
Beware of the wrath of Burning Batsu!.... and Dan's Super Taunts!!!

Nari

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I think '98 port was okay (discount the fact that stage music restarts itself every round). I love the stages of Evo but I noticed the sprites particularly grainy in some stages, but in general it is a good port too.

------------------
"I can't lose. For nature's sake"

C

Caris Nautilus

Prozerg man what are you smoking?

You blatently DONT own either of the games. KOF 98 on DC has zero load times, and 99 has the same. Damn man....

The same people that complained about loading in X men VS. SF for saturn, there were NO fucking load times!! There was like a half second latency from the arcade version, and yes I have both!

The DC version of 98 was BETTER THAN PERFECT, screw anyone that says different, I own both versions, the charatcers are a BIT smaller on the DC version. But the res. is higher and it looks BETTER.

I cant compare 99 evo since I dont own the MVS cart...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PrOzErG:
And you also forgot the damn loading time's !!

[This message has been edited by Caris Nautilus (edited April 16, 2001).]

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
I have both DC versions and I am quite impressed with both. Load times are pretty much non-existent and they even fixed the rstarting music in 99. The best thing though is the price - neither game was over $30.00. Even if there are slight flaws versus the Neo version you can't beat the price tag.

koolking

Super Spy Agent
I have played both versions though I think that the neo geo is better and you can play up to 2k if you can find the cart.
-----------------------------
Nasakenai

fomaman

King's Dry Cleaner
buy rite adverises KOF 2000 for 199.99. i don't know. i think theres a possibility that it may see life on the DC. 200 bones is a pretty good price though....

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
A friend of mine complained that '98 (KoF Dream Match 1999) for DC "felt weird" compared to the arcade version.

'98 and '99 on the DC has its own type of quality. I really hope the srk.com dudes aren't comparing the '98 and '99 for the DC ports to say like SNK vs. Capcom. They're two different games upon themselves and really can't be compared at all.

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
*LOL* This one guy on SRK was basing his SNK knowledge on the PSX port of KoF'99! WTF?! So much animation was cut from that game that half the comboes available in the Dreamcast, CD, MVS, and homecart versions AREN'T EVEN POSSIBLE in it!

Shingo_Yabuki

New Challenger
Any of you guys have the US version of Evolution?Talk about weird,they REMOVED some animations like Chin drinking in his specials and his winpose,K' loses that winpose where he spits on the ground and Whip's gun is gone!What's even weirder is Mai's bounciness is intact,wtf?

darkkyo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
dreamcast version of kof 98 was wierd. all the sound effects and voices were sharper and better (or most of them). but some of the asts just didnt fit well. they were cut up and just didnt fit well @_@. like kof 96 esaka just seems odd in 98, i guess i'm being too picky. now the music stoping for each character, that sucked. but the 3d backrounds are very nice, especially in 99. if 99 didnt have the loading problems, it be awesome.

------------------
The birth of humanity was fated to deny the divine destiny of the destinies...

hebretto

Hardened Shock Trooper
Well I can't buy a Neo Geo in Aust so I have to go with the DC ver but they are just as good in some ways(extra Strikers)

I haven't got Dream Match but I got both US and JAP ver of Evo and trust me when I say this,the JAP ver is the one and only to get.Reasons:

-US ver is missing some animations
-The Roulette option is crap (I keep on gettting the same characters every round)
-No Gai or Syo
-While playing 1P mode you will sometimes fight in the same order everytime you play(eg you fought Female,Psycho,AoF,FF.When you start again guess who it it.This happened to me 4 times)

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Why would SNK cut out animations in the US DC version? Do American letters take that much room on a GB-ROM disk?
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

hebretto

Hardened Shock Trooper
I forgot to mention that sometimes when you AB escape roll you might be frozen for a little moment

Iie Kyo-I have no idea why Agetec(I'm still waiting for their reply regarding to Gai and Syo for Evo)got rid of some of the things that appeared in the JAP ver but I know one thing,I'm never going to get any converted games again,if your going to release it,let the people who know what their doing do it

btw GDs(1 gigabyte)are just like DVDs(7 gigabytes),they have a big storage capacity but they don't use it

Shingo_Yabuki

New Challenger
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hebretto:
Well I can't buy a Neo Geo in Aust so I have to go with the DC ver but they are just as good in some ways(extra Strikers)

I haven't got Dream Match but I got both US and JAP ver of Evo and trust me when I say this,the JAP ver is the one and only to get.Reasons:

-US ver is missing some animations
-The Roulette option is crap (I keep on gettting the same characters every round)
-No Gai or Syo
-While playing 1P mode you will sometimes fight in the same order everytime you play(eg you fought Female,Psycho,AoF,FF.When you start again guess who it it.This happened to me 4 times)

Hey Hebretto!Actually there is a way to get Syo and Gai but I only have the Justice versions.O.k first the in-game clock has to be over 50 hours,then you go to Team Play,move the cursor to Kyo and press Y 30 times,move up,right 3 times,up,left 3 times,up twice,right 3 times,up twice,left 3 times,up,right 3 times and then up twice,you should end up on Extra Striker,simply press A and Syo and Gai wil appear below Alfred and Fio.

I know the code seems ridiculous but it DOES work!

[This message has been edited by Shingo_Yabuki (edited April 17, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Shingo_Yabuki (edited April 17, 2001).]

Shingo_Yabuki

New Challenger
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iie-Kyo:
Why would SNK cut out animations in the US DC version? Do American letters take that much room on a GB-ROM disk?
biggrin.gif

Not SNK,Agetec to be more precise.I guess they took out Chin's because they don't want to promote alchoholism and they removed Whip's gun because of that Columbine incident,I have no clue why the removed K's winpose though.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shingo_Yabuki:
Not SNK,Agetec to be more precise.I guess they took out Chin's because they don't want to promote alchoholism and they removed Whip's gun because of that Columbine incident,I have no clue why the removed K's winpose though.

Dontcha remember what your mom said? It's not nice to spit upon others!
biggrin.gif

Still doesn't make sense that animation frames were taken out in '99 Evo for US and why the Syo and Gai strikers are ridiculously stupid to get.

That code looks like something outta a Usenet post in which somebody asks how you get Krizalid in the arcade version and someone replies you gotta hold onto start, choose roulette, then go up 54 times, down 43 times, left right left right up left up, do a little dance, and hit ABCD.

Where'd you find that code Shingo?

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

hebretto

Hardened Shock Trooper
Holy shit it worked!!!

Can you get higher than lvl 1 though

Where did you find this out???

Shingo_Yabuki

New Challenger
Iie-Kyo and hebretto:*L* Would you believe,of all places....a Gamefaqs message board?Yeah,one night I was hella bored so I decided just for fun i'd check out message board for Evo.Well after sifting through some posts I found the afformentioned code and was shocked to see it work!

Hebretto,I have no clue how you level them up,neither do the guys at gamefaqs
frown.gif

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Gotta leave it up to Agtec to implement a code that no one has any idea about...

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

Shingo_Yabuki

New Challenger
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iie-Kyo:
Gotta leave it up to Agtec to implement a code that no one has any idea about...

I'd hate to think what they'd do to Last Blade 2 if they ever decide to port it.