Help me with KYO in KOF2K!

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
anyone? i totally suck with him... please? ON people?

------------------
31436715.jpg

W

Whip's Disciple

Tell us how you play, we'll give tips on how to improve.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
General stuff:

With his QCF + C link, don't do the last hit of the link (the F + P) unless you're absolutely sure the first two hits hit or else you're gonna get countered majorly if you don't send in a striker to cover your rear.

QCF + D, D is generally safe unless you're against a grabber.

Jump dwn + C has good air-to-air priority. Its air-to-ground priority was lost after 98.

Uh, B version R.E.D kick (RDP + K) whiffs on crouchers. D version is safe if the kick is blocked.

DP + A has priority against some jump ins and a majority of normal ground moves. Use it as a wake-up move but sparingly.

More stuff later.
smile.gif

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

W

Whip's Disciple

D version isn't safe either. Use red kick to limith the options of those who are defending.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Whip's Disciple:
D version isn't safe either. Use red kick to limith the options of those who are defending.

Well, it's fairly safe if it's blocked and the other guy doesn't have a fast move to counter it. Iori's QCB x 3 + P or his Maiden Masher DM comes to mind.

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

W

Whip's Disciple

Maiden masher can be used to counter red kick easy.

Still, it's an easy target for grapplers. I have time to do C into SAB.

Let's see what else works after being blocked: Normal throws, command throws, C fwd weak combos, and etc.

Yeah, to me red kick weak has less lag, but it's bad when it wiffs. D is dangerous because some people overestimate the range, and it has more lag than there appears.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Yeah, to me red kick weak has less lag, but it's bad when it wiffs. D is dangerous because some people overestimate the range, and it has more lag than there appears.

The B version hardly works on any of the experts here because they expect me to do it. In fact nobody uses the B version... heck nobody here uses his R.E.D. Kick at all.

Regarding the D version, I have that problem with the R.E.D. Kick. I can never figure out the range of the thing in the middle of battle to really use it effectively. I learned that it's a great to use against people who you knocked away and are waking up.

I guess the D version is good to use if you're keeping the opponent on the defensive. If you've pressured your opponent enough they'll be too scared to counter any of your attacks, including a blocked D version R.E.D. Kick.

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

W

Whip's Disciple

The problem is you have to pressure your opponent into jumping, with a few mind games and such, you lure an opponent into a situation where they should jump, roll, and etc. Red Kick is also an escape too.

Try low b, low a, double kick. If the guy is in the corner he generally will try to jump. Then you red kick his ass and repeat with corner comboes and rushes. If he rolls, just combo him, it's easy.

You know the starting distance, when the round begins? That's about the D version distance.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
You know the starting distance, when the round begins? That's about the D version distance.

That's about 3/4ths of a screen's length or so right?

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
Hmm. you guys are really into this
biggrin.gif
. Are there any small, really effective, high priority combos which a Kyo player should use?

Oh, about my playing style, i pretty much counter with DP's and use the qcf + P chains a lot. I also play more defense with him, because he's more susceptible to bastard attacks. He became MAD technical after 98. I like it, but i don't. Oh well.

------------------
31436715.jpg

W

Whip's Disciple

Yeah, try using C before going into your A and C punch chains, it pumps up the damage.

Use low B, low A into his DwnF D. When blocked, it puts the guy far away from you.

Start with this, and use small hops a lot along with plenty of A and Bs. Kyo is a rush character, and should be used as such.

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
uhh, i can't get C to cancel into the punch chains. is it supposed to?

------------------
31436715.jpg

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
lol nevermind it got it. oh, and by the way, is Kyo's hcb + K a useful move? i haven't heard people talk about it much.

------------------
31436715.jpg

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
D version of the HCB + K is one of the most annoying moves you can hit your opponent with. It has decent ground to air priority (nothing beats his DP + A though) and vs. ground attacks it has insane invicibility frames for osme reason. Think of the slight amount of invicibility Terry has when he does his Power Geyser, that's how good his HCB + D is.

The HCB + B is generally good for hopping over Iori-low-fireball happy players. But its most practical use is in his infamous KoF 2K corner combo:

Jump in C, Stand C, QCF + D, D, juggle into HCB + B... then you do whatever you want from there

Oh yeah, if you see that someone has screwed up, do a Stand C, QCF + D, D and then combo into his Orochinagi. Learn this combo by heart! It's one of the easiest yet fairly damaging combos you can use!

Oh, you should learn how to use his QCF x 2 + P DM effectively. This thing stops people who try to roll it like nothing.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

shin-kyo

Lurker, ,
use his hop b, stand c, dougami (sp?) chain

down b, down a, df d

use the down c for air to ground.. isn't that good priority though..

down c is best bet for anti-air.. at least it trades, don't use dp+a for anti-air.. it loses too much
mad.gif
also use the HCB+D as setup for a seth striker combo.. likely the CD xx b red kick

rush and poke.. is kyo.. but don't be too offensive, (careful of seth striker hehe)

pokes:
aragami, stand b, CD xx aragami, CD xx dougami

use the CD xx HCB+D to charge.. or if the opponent isn't nearby

use the D red kick against a fireballer, do it as soon if not before they do a fireball (you need to anticipate)
or if you can.. learn how to run then do the a version red kick.

generally don't use red kick for poking or anything.. you will be punished cuz more often then not it will whiff. prolly use it to keep ppl in the corner.. or anticipate a jump, other than that it sometimes gets beaten by a hop attack.

if you ever use the QCFx2+a super do it close (1 or 2 character lengths away), its actually kinda fun to use.. its unblockable if you hold it long enough.. so most ppl will try to avoid that.. if you have them cornered wait.. if they do anything.. get em! .. or wait for them to roll first..

W

Whip's Disciple

Whoa talk about overstuffing the poor boy. If he can't do C into either punch chains he's a long way from all the combos you just old him.

Yeah, he can do C or low C into punch chains. Just take some time to practice. You can take a look at the other combos given to you later once you got the hang of the basics.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Hey Alien, they don't let you directly link to GameFAQs' FAQs anymore. They'll have to manually search through it to find the Shin Kyo FAQs.

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
lol overstuffing the poor boy. I can do all the combos Whip'sD gave me, i must say i REALLY LIKE the d + A, d + B, df +D! great combo! VERY effective! the C -> punch chains are a little bit harder, i don't know why. I'm going to go practice!

------------------
31436715.jpg

W

Whip's Disciple

Yeah, that's a basic, just watch out for peole who CD counter you when you do that.

That, and learn to use all his moves, they are all usefull. If you're playing 99, use dwn a, dwn b, hcb B. If it's blocked you can't be hit. If it seems like you're gonna be hit, do the dash back into a move trick(99 only).

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Yeah, that's a basic, just watch out for peole who CD counter you when you do that.

That, and learn to use all his moves, they are all usefull. If you're playing 99, use dwn a, dwn b, hcb B. If it's blocked you can't be hit. If it seems like you're gonna be hit, do the dash back into a move trick(99 only).

Certain moves can counter Kyo after the HCB + B. Any instant hitting moves/normals (Iori's dwn D) or specials/DMs (Iori's Maiden Masher or his Deadly Flowers).

Notice Iori's a counter a to Kyo? Uncanny ain't it?
smile.gif

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

BakuretsuMutekiSid

Zero's Tailor
You know guys, I could never figure out how to do the variations on the shiki (?!). The only two I can do are:

QCF + A, QCF + A, A or B. What's a good site to get all the moves for the King of Fighters?

------------------
garou_donghwanstand.gif

"Can you match my gaming enthusiasm?"