KOF teams weak link(s)

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Well, here we go again. Who do you think is the weak link(s) of the predetermined teams of the KOF series. I still didn't get a chance to read that second post from last night. "sniff"
frown.gif

---------------------------------------------

"Don't be scared! I'll only cut off one of your heads! Guess!"

W

Whip's Disciple

Benimaru Team: Definately Shing0+, he's been toned down ever since his 98 incarnation, where he was a monster.

Korean Team: No weak link, but if you're talking about weakest, it's Kim. "Gee Oro! What are you saying, Kim is soooo good!" Yeah, but after Chang gained the armour mood crap, Jhun in armour mode, and the cheapness of a good Choi, Kim pales in comparison.

K team: Initially it's going to Maxima, he lack enough mind games to make him very good, he has low B combos, but they are lacking. But I guess in 2k with his new combos, he is weaker than an expert Vanessa, Ramon, and even an advanced K'.

Ikari Team: Hmmm this year it has to be Leona. Yeah, you can player really cheap like in 98, but a Whip is much improved, and the introduction of striker combos help make up for the fact that Clark and Ralf's throws have been slowed down significantly. I think they are all good, but like the Korean team Leona is probabably the weakest link.

Art of Fighting: Hmmm again, this is tough, my say would be Robert, because people still feel that having him as a charge character is a sin, and avoid using him. My Robert is pretty good, EndLeSS can vouch for me, but when compared to the ease of use of Yuri's priority and speed, Takuma's super priority and mind games, and Ryo's invincibility on his DP, robert falls behind as a usuable character. But Ryo and Robert easily change places on this list because Ryo has lost some significant power himself. His counters are neigh useless. His standing b is now a very poor poke. But being a one hit wonder is also lags behind. His 2 hit comboes do more than most C fwd A or Bs into a special, but do less than the same thing into a DM or SDM. Right did I say Yuri? Sorry about that, King is there, and you all already know how strong she is.

Fatal Fury team: Ai...probably Andy...They are all strong again, but Andy lacks the most priority when it comes to normal moves. Mary, Terry, and Joe are all very good, but I think some would choose Joe over Andy.

All Girls Team:

Again, no real weaknesses or weak link here. Hinako is truly a force to be reckened with. Yuri is very strong as well utilizing her speed and priority as well as chain combos. Mai's down B in the air can be abused to utter hell. And I guess Kasumi when used well is very scary as well, but I would have to pick her as the weakest link because of the lag from her counters can easily be taken advantage of.

China team: It's Kensou. After losing his cheese infinity he loses out right to the turtling power of Athena, Chin's d, d B, then up D cheese, and Bao's unpredictablity.

IF anyone actually need anymore depth on these, I can further explain in terms of listing pokes and stuff like that, but then again, that would be writing an FAQ. O_O;

Krizalid

Marked Wolf
King is in the AOF team, not Yuri.

------------------
Is good when girl meet boy in park but better when boy park meat in girl. ^.^

Krizalid

Marked Wolf
Oh, and since it doesn't say KOF 2K teams weak links, I'll add some more.

Iori's team: Mature. She can do a lot of chip damage but her moves can be seen coming and expert players can take advantage of that.

USA team: Brian. Truthfully, I never use the USA team except Heavy D! but I dun like Brian.

Billy's team: Billy. Well I hate to admit it but it's true. But if it was RB2 Billy...it wouldn't make much difference but RB2 Billy is better.

Kyo's Team: Benimaru. Come on, there's no competition here. Kyo and Daimon are 2 of the top 5 characters in KOF '98.

NFT: Yashiro. Flame me if u will. IMO Shermie is the best grappler, even better than Clark, Mary and Daimon and Chris has a great DP.

Billy's team '95: Billy. I don't think Billy has his tricane smash in this game.

Heidern's team: Saisyu. Takuma is a cheap bastard and Heidern can steal your health. Saisyu can do jack.

Boss team: Mr Big. Again no competition. Geese and Krauser can whoop his ass.

Women's Team '98: Chizuru. I'm tired of typing. King ownz. I don't really like Mai but at least I'm okay with her rather than suck with Chizuru.

------------------

W

Whip's Disciple

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krizalid:
King is in the AOF team, not Yuri.

Didn't you see my correction Krizalid? It's on the bottom of the AOF part. Then I moved Yuri, I caught my mistake while writing the darn thing.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krizalid:
Oh, and since it doesn't say KOF 2K teams weak links, I'll add some more.

That was the gist of the question Krizalid.

"Don't be scared! I'll only cut off one of your heads! Guess!"

Krizalid

Marked Wolf
Gist?

------------------

EndLeSS

n00b
One thing wrong IMO:
Geezer team: Weakest link: Goes to Heidern, not Saishu....damn he's easy to use, fast, high priority, damn good. Dun believe me? Try this combo (easy and HELLA strong once you master it)
Dwn B, Stand C (1hit) Fwd A, DP+D
6 hits

Heidern is good (I use him well enough) but Saishu is better.

Ohh, and Oro's Robert is good, but but a bit strange. Damn. First time I ever fought a Robert user in 99. Nevertheless good.

l8z

------------------
"We are able to love passionately because we die"
-Rollo May, The Cry for Myth

Check out my KOF '98 Complete RALF FAQQQ!!!!
http://db.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/king_of_fighters_98_ralf_b.txt

W

Whip's Disciple

Hell, the Geezer team doesn't really have a weak member. Hideren's unblockable works on people too. Can easily lead into a C fwd B final bringer combo.

That team just doesn't have a weak link.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Whip's Disciple:

China team: It's Kensou. After losing his cheese infinity he loses out right to the turtling power of Athena, Chin's d, d B, then up D cheese, and Bao's unpredictablity.

I'll have to disagree with you here... I've always found Bao to be the weak link of the team. Besides the ability to throw fireballs in just about every general direction, an extremely high prioritized super from KOF 99 (which was weakened in 2000) and a half way decent keep-away game, I really don't see any use for him. Kensou may have lost his infinity, but everything else he has remians the same. He still has unbelieveable range with his footsweep, maintains decent priority with his anti-airs, an excellent autoguard with his 2-hit foot kick launcher (which works WONDERS on crazed fireball throwers), and pretty much maintains all of his combos going back as far as KOF '98. Even when I play KOF 2000, I'm more likely to use Karou as a striker before I even consider using Bao, simply because Karou does more than just run out and throw a fireball... she leaves you more opportunity to set up juggles, and even awards you with super meter after she's done with her initial attack.

Kensou & Chin are good in-close fighting characters, so using them in a turtle-like style takes away a lot of their potential (and if you really think that Chin's Upward Foot Scoot is "cheese", then try playing against someone that knows how to utilize his autoguard & Drunken Stagger on an expert level). Athena is great all around, both in-close and an excvellent keep-away/running character. I really tried to get into the groove with Bao, but I've always considered him to be the weak link of Team China. If anything, they should have made Karou as a figher... even in her wheelchair she would be more effective.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by VinylBoy (edited April 16, 2001).]

W

Whip's Disciple

Well using Chin's upward foot cheese is dirty by itself, but I'm thinking that people with skill adding in his foot cheese along with combos and etc will lead you to victory.

I mean, I've beaten people with the foot cheese before. It's annoying as hell. Oh no, and Chin is a very offensive character, his jump C stand C into a single gourd hit does sooo much.

Bao, has tremendous priority in his normal attacks, as well as his special moves. His real strength does not come from just his fire balls, but his standing reflector. It charges you bar, and to my knowledge, hard to counter. You can't roll by it in 99, though I don't know about 2000.

Kensou, yeah, he fast, his moves are good, but simply his moves lack priority in many respects allowing characters like Kyo and Iori to overtake him with ease. His D into dp C into hcf C does nice damage, but is harder to land. He also has a simply predictablity that puts him below the rest of the China team. His dashing punch move is easily dispatch by anyone with auto guard, or even an uppercut at that. There's more, but I need to figure out this air blocking thing.

VinylBoy

Well using Chin's upward foot cheese is dirty by itself, but I'm thinking that people with skill adding in his foot cheese along with combos and etc will lead you to victory.

I mean, I've beaten people with the foot cheese before. It's annoying as hell. Oh no, and Chin is a very offensive character, his jump C stand C into a single gourd hit does sooo much.

Bao, has tremendous priority in his normal attacks, as well as his special moves. His real strength does not come from just his fire balls, but his standing reflector. It charges you bar, and to my knowledge, hard to counter. You can't roll by it in 99, though I don't know about 2000.

Kensou, yeah, he fast, his moves are good, but simply his moves lack priority in many respects allowing characters like Kyo and Iori to overtake him with ease. His D into dp C into hcf C does nice damage, but is harder to land. He also has a simply predictablity that puts him below the rest of the China team. His dashing punch move is easily dispatch by anyone with auto guard, or even an uppercut at that. There's more, but I need to figure out this air blocking thing.

I forgot about Bao's Psycho Reflector... if you block it or get hit by it, his super meter gets raised super fast. That is another benefit for using Bao... but that was obviously toned down tremendously in KOF 2000. One of the glithes they actually looked into, instead of the striker infinites.
biggrin.gif

I'm pretty much an old-school KOF player, which is why I have my biases towards Kensou. I think it shows in a lot of my posts, dont you think?

W

Whip's Disciple

Of course of course...

On the most part I hate 2000. Most of my advice won't pertain to 2000 at all. Dang, I guess that makes me an old school KOFer too.
biggrin.gif

Fortunately my old school skills can still get be by some of the better players in 2000 without me using a single striker combo. But I tell yah, these skills are going down the tube so goddamn fast.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
heh, I think that's why I have a disdain for keep-away characters like Bao. They simply require too much patience to overtake with up-front offensive characters like my Kyo and Iori.

I find it a chore to fight Bao players simply because I have to fight differently from the way I usually do to beat them. When I see that lame-ass Chinese idiot who plays Bao, Chang, and King/Mary at my arcade take me on I just mutter 'not again' because it's the same ol' crap I've dealt with since '99.

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

VinylBoy

It's funny, but I see an ongoing trend with most SNK players against Capcom players... people who heavily follow KOF really like the whole idea of in-close fighting and pretty much detest keep-away tactics. Iie-Kyo, you're not the only person who can't stand people who go running to characters like Chang, just because he can do his best damage from afar...
biggrin.gif

W

Whip's Disciple

Well keep away is frustrating in KOF because it is made for in close fighting.

If you get sick of Chang, just never let the sack of lard of the ground. I just keep rushing and rushing....

Damn, those turtlers, but I guess I don't mind as much as I used to.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
It is made for close fighting but yet SNK keeps pumping out characters like Bao and Athena. Yes Athena can do damage up close too but I see her played way too defensively here for me to really believe that she is an offensive character.

How do you keep a fat piece of shit on the ground when half the time he'll wake up with a DM? How can I guess what he's going to wake up with? Sometimes that lameass player wakes up with a throw so I can figure out what to use against him to keep his sorry butt on the ground.

I also learned that Xiangfei is the ultimate striker to use against Chang players. If you deprive him of his DMs he can't do much damage to you as long as you don't get stupid.

Namely: No armor mode for that damn cheezer!

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

W

Whip's Disciple

How? Easy, his wake up DM no longer works the way it use to. It has start up lag, look for it, take advantage of it. I don't know whether he has that lag in 2k. But in 99, he has it.

Throw?

Are you still using high jumps? o_O
You can small hop can't you? j/k j/k

Yeah, you're gonna have to time your jump attacks with a hell of a lot more presicion than you're used to. You won't get thrown if the attack is deep enough.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
heh, in 2k they got rid of the lag. The DM is INSTANT. It beats ANY hop and ANY jump in.

See why this dude plays Chang? :/

Did I mention in 2k that Chang's DM bar charges up faster than anyone else? I swear. I saw that idiot get 3 stocks in less than 10 seconds. All of which I easily took care of with my Xiangfei striker but still... it's scary.

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

W

Whip's Disciple

Instant again huh? Damn, to bad. Then in that case jump in and block, the only reason why it hits is when you jump and attack your landing has a slight bit of lag on it.

If you jump in and block, and he does his DM punish accordingly.

Andin 98 I take care of scrub Changs so fast they never get bar. Heh, yeah 2000 charges really fast.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Scrub Changs are MUCH more scarier in 2000 because they did nothing but improve him. They toned down other characters but SNK decided to just make this guy better! WTF!

The only guy I have difficulty beating is this Chang user. His King is also extremely scrubb. Runs up to you then runs away with D and CDs and keeps jumping back and when you try to run at him he sends in a Seth striker and does that no-skill combo that ends with a DM.

I swear, it's so damn lame.

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

W

Whip's Disciple

Yeah, I've seen mass amounts of scrubbiness in 2k. That's why I stopped playing, it was no longer as fun as it used to be.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Well, since I've finally got some free time:

My team weak links; based on how well I play the characters:

Sports Hero team 94: Heavy D! Lucky has his death bound/teleport cheap and Brian's spinnig air attack can be abused so much it isn't funny. D! I can't do much with (Some tips are appreciated.)

NFT/Orochi team 97/98: Shermie. I'm fairly good with Yashiro and Chris, but my Shermie can use some major improvement. Not one to win by pokes and my anti-air isn't any better either. What really hurts me most is that she only has one non-throw special and it's uses are rare.

More to come later.

"Don't be scared! I'll only cut off one of your heads! Guess!

W

Whip's Disciple

The sports team is suprisingly overpowered.

Heavy D! is a true monster. Unfortunately to be truly effective with him, you need large abilities to buffer, and well is catching people outta the air with the low B. Every A or B can easily link into his DM. Scary if you can use him.

VinylBoy

The sports team is suprisingly overpowered.

Heavy D! is a true monster. Unfortunately to be truly effective with him, you need large abilities to buffer, and well is catching people outta the air with the low B. Every A or B can easily link into his DM. Scary if you can use him.

I loved the sports team! I remember in KOF '94 thinking they were a total waste, then someone in our arcade at the time took the time to master them and totally owned EVERYONE in the game for at least a week. Lucky has amazing priority with his kicks... Heavy D can chain like crazy with all of his punches, and Brian is just sheer power... plus a very confusing super that does drain energy. I wish my skills with Heavy D were better, but for a while, I was using Brian and Lucky a lot in KOF '98 when I needed a break from Team China.