Who's the most technical character in KOF2K?

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
hi, does anyone know? i really like using technical, hard-to-use characters in fighting games, like Hibiki for LB2, Guy for SF, etc. Could anyone safely tell me? i can't really tell...

BTW, K' isn't a technical character, right?

Thnx.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
NeoGML,

It depends on how you define "Technical". I personally think K' is a technical character. He can be used sparingly or with great force. I use him to his fullest. Combos apon combos, then I call out Joe as a striker...whoa, talk about not having a chance!

Bryan

------------------
gif_47.gif
-Long live the Neo-

D

DigiPunk

Hmmm.. Technical? I would have to say it would be a character with a steep learning curve, sneaky moves, and a variety of moves.

I give the nod to Blue Mary.
She takes time to learn how to use effectively, she has a variety of moves (counter specials, charge moves, and motion moves). He regular moves are also full of variey, like her standing upward kick and 2 hit standard punches and kicks.

Whip is also a close contender.

------------------
Look for me in PSO as Flank, or Rolf.
rbffs_duckkingstance.gif

Yojimbo

n00b
NeoGML:-technical, hard-to-use characters

That would be Jhun...u have to learn to stance change while fighting without getting hit and doing his multi-hit pogo stomp for large combos is hard.

EndLeSS

n00b
hey hey,

By far Kyo....Kyo is easy to use, but EXTREMELY hard to master.....extremely hard, because he has so many many options, and his playing style can be played in any way.

K' is quite technical, because of the mixing up/mindgames of his moves in 2K, especially with his Black Out cheeze and low starting combos.

l8z

------------------
"We are able to love passionately because we die"
-Rollo May, The Cry for Myth

Check out my KOF '98 Complete RALF FAQQQ!!!!
http://db.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/king_of_fighters_98_ralf_b.txt

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Jhun is an EXTREMELY technical character. Mastery of Jhun will render you untouchable, feared, and respected! I saw that Kuwait tournament video in which Maan's Jhun was whipping serious ass against his opponent. I had no idea how one could break through that guy!

Agreed, Kyo can be played in so many ways. You can turtle (hah, yeah right), play a zoning game, outright flail at your opponent with his attacks, poke around for an opportunity for a big combo (Kyo's corner combos are killer!)... the options are EndLeSS...

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

W

Whip's Disciple

Jhun is technical, but even a expert Jhun still reveals the initial flaws in Jhun stances. Some people think fluid mastery in the stances will bring victory, but it's more knowing when to be and when not to be in the stances.

I'll give him my vote for being the most technical.

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
yeah. I think i'm going to go all out Kyo mastery from now on. I would use Jhun but... He just doesn't look cool enough...

------------------
31436715.jpg

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Whip's Disciple:
Jhun is technical, but even a expert Jhun still reveals the initial flaws in Jhun stances. Some people think fluid mastery in the stances will bring victory, but it's more knowing when to be and when not to be in the stances.

I'll give him my vote for being the most technical.

Did you watch the white-tower.net Kuwait tournament video? In his stances, Maan was able to autoguard and break through a lot of stuff that the other guy was throwing at 'em. It looked cool when he did the back + A autoguard-overhead thing and autoguarded Kyo's QCF x 2 + P DM, causing a really cool looking freeze.
smile.gif

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

Orion

n00b
I agree with Yojimbo and Iie-Kyo, is too difficult be master of Jhun.the combos of Jhun are too especific.

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
I tink K has my vote taked me a long time to master all his move's and big 15-25 hit's combo's but when you learn how to play whit him man he is deadly !!

------------------
fetch.dll

"So you think you can beat me.?"

[This message has been edited by PrOzErG (edited April 15, 2001).]

koolking

Super Spy Agent
Do you mean striker or character. Striker would either be Kaede or Neo and Geo
smile.gif
. Character would have to be either Seth or Hinako.

BakuretsuMutekiSid

Zero's Tailor
Wow!! That's a good picture you got there EndleSS!! That's not you is it?

------------------
garou_donghwanstand.gif

"Can you match my gaming enthusiasm?"

ioriyagami

Cheng's Errand Boy
Well it has to be Jhun followed by Kyo and last of all Kim.Think about it Kim is a difficult character to master as well.And by the way what type of characters would they be classified as e.g.Robert is a charge character,then what type of characters would Kula,Ralf,Clark,Iori,Kasumi,Kyo,Kim,Jhun,Choi,Chang etc. be classified as.Thanx,

------------------
It's like i'm assisting suicide.Hate not me,hate your weakness.

Seraphim

n00b
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iie-Kyo:
Did you watch the white-tower.net Kuwait tournament video? In his stances, Maan was able to autoguard and break through a lot of stuff that the other guy was throwing at 'em. It looked cool when he did the back + A autoguard-overhead thing and autoguarded Kyo's QCF x 2 + P DM, causing a really cool looking freeze.
smile.gif

Breaking things with the autoguard is hardly a feat. I've broken heatdrives, maidenmashers, dance of mayhems. Pretty much every move is easy to break. Try using Jhun more often, breaking stuff with the autoguard flip back is amateur.

-----------

Listen to me! I'm your concience.
smile.gif

Krizalid

Marked Wolf
Billy Kane! J/k

Billy Kane is easy to learn, just do some crouch A's, standing C's and air C's.

Blue Mary tho is probably most technical.

Definition of Technical (imo) - Heavily reliant on distance calculation. Has moves that are never 'always' effective, but require certain conditions to reach their full effectiveness.

E.g., Guy is most effective at the distance where is standing strong 'just' hits the opponent. Why? Because at this distance, he can out prioritise almost anything, and can still combo into super. Outside (or inside) of this distance, Guy becomes weak, crippled by mediocre damage and laggy special moves.

Technical characters in KOF by this definition would be: Kyo and Jhun.

K' is as technical a character as Iori is- you hardly need any kind of precision to play him well because of the speed at which his Ein Trigger comes out. Ditto Mary, who just needs to 'rush that shyte'.

Dog

World Soccer '96
I wouldn't say that K' is technical at all. More so in 2K. He's like the bread and butter guy, very easy to use but powerful. I've been using Kyo for years but I find him much harder to control in 2k than K' and I've never really spent much time with K' yet I can beat the game just with him on level 8 in team mode. He's just so good at keep away tactics.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Characters that are technical? Blue Mary, Kyo, Jhun, Chin, Kensou, Kasumi Todo.

The most technical character of all fighters? Probably A3 Gen...
biggrin.gif

That's not to say that either one of these characters have obvious shortcuts that can be abused in order to win... but technically, they have a lot more moves to use and master compared to some of the other cast members that seem to have a rather standard set of moves. K' for instance has a pretty standard set of moves (standard projectile, standard anti-air, etc)... nothing too out of the ordinary. So I wouldn't put him in the same class as someone like Jhun.

[This message has been edited by VinylBoy (edited April 30, 2001).]

Seraphim

n00b
Ack! Blue Mary is techincal?

When I play Mary is nothing more than rush and dodge. Sure it is sort of technical when you have to time the dodge and etc. But other than that, she isn't played any different than she was in any other KOF.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'd have to cast my vote for Jhun as well. The variety of moves from the different stances take time to learn and even more time to master. Plus, as it's unnatural to hold buttons down while you play these types of games, there's a whole new type of hand/eye coordination to master when playing him, IMHO.

K' is a technical character but not a difficult one to master IMHO. He has a lot of variety in his follow ups and combo finishers, but they're pretty easy to grasp after playing him intensely for about a half hour. He's a powerhouse with loads of priority from my experiences playing him (he's my second fave SNK character, so I've played him quite a bit...). Not as bad as he was in '99 in terms of being overpowering, but he's still WAY up there...

Taiso
"Because of my bloody life, it was no accident that I was involved in the troubles..."

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Seraphim:
Ack! Blue Mary is techincal?

When I play Mary is nothing more than rush and dodge. Sure it is sort of technical when you have to time the dodge and etc. But other than that, she isn't played any different than she was in any other KOF.

Like I said before, every character in KOF have many different ways to be played. With Blue Mary, all of her in-close combos take a lot of chaining and two-in-one movements. Like for instance:

Crossup Jumping D, Up-Close Standing C (cancel), Up-Close Standing B, DP+ Dx2

Basically, she jumps in with a crossup jumping kick and follows up with her standard 2-hit swing punch. But instead of having both hits connect, she cancels the second hit to go into her double roundhouse kick from her up-close standing B animations. Then, follows up with a 2-hit uppercut move after the second move connects... then follows up with the aerial leg grapple.

It's an excellent combo, yet HARD to do. Combos like this require very high levels of technical skill to do. I'm certain other characters have just as detailed combos that also require a lot of technical abilities, but I will stand by Blue Mary. She's always been a tight, technical character in my eyes. I always have respect for someone that can use a character like this on a high level.

Of course, this combo is NOTHING in comparison to the Mai Shiranui combo I found out in Gals Fighters for the NGPC:

In corner: Standing B, 3x Light A, DB + Heavy A, DF+Heavy B, Down+A&B, 2xQCB+A.

In other words... Mai's leaping ground kick into three quick fan jabs, to her ground spinning elbow move, to her two-hit foot sweep move which launches your opponent, INTO her launch kick, THEN into her aerial spinning flame tail super. 22+ hits... LOTS of damage... RIDICULOUSLY HARD. Probably the sickest combo I have ever done on a handheld, and one of the coolest combos I've ever done in fighting games period.
biggrin.gif

Technical fighter? Hard to master? Look no further than Jhun Hoon. Hard to master, but very rewarding indeed!!!

------------------
Hmmm!!! Meat!!!
Don't waste my time with your weak skills, scrub!!!

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
Wow, talk about topic ressurection... Thanks for all the input guys!

------------------
31436715.jpg